PDA

View Full Version : Tuna in basil and tomato sauce TAGLIATELLE

Bluelotus
06-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Tuna in basil and tomato sauce TAGLIATELLE

A nice easy recipe to impress friends with, they may even come to belive that it is truly Italian :ee:

Ingredients:

*250g of very freshly made tagliatelle (you may also use fusilli if you so prefer, and you can use dry pasta too)
*olive oil
*2 medium onions
*1 tin/can of Tuna fish in brine ~ 250g
*1 tin/can of ripe plum tomatoes ~ 400-500g (you can buy the chopped version if you like)
*1 bunch of fresh basil ( when torn into pieces it should amount to at least a handful) and some extra leaves to garnish plate
*1 bay leaf
*4 cloves
*2-3 teaspoons of concentrated tomato puree
*1-2 cloves of garlic (depends on how much u like garlic...I would recommend 2 at least :ee: )
*1 bunch of parsley (I add it for the colour and it goes well with fish, go for broad leafed parsley NOT the curly one)
*salt
*pepper
*parmesan cheese grated (if you can't get parmesan, you may use MILD cheddar...mild cos the flavour of cheddar will interfere with the herbs if too mature)~~~ this is optinal...u don't have to use cheese anyway.
*lemon or lime juice.

Method for tagliatelle:

1 ) read instruction on how to cook your fresh tagliatelle form the packaging
2 ) boil enough water for 250g of pasta, add a pinch of salt.
3 ) when water is boiled add the fresh pasta or dry pasta
4 ) leave to cook for abt 7-10 ...refer to your instructions for exact tiem.
5 ) when pasta is cooked, drain water by puoiring the content of the pan in a colander
6 ) when all the water has drained ..drizzle a little olive oil on the pasta. toss it gently so the oil permeates every strand of tagliatelle.
7 ) put it back in the pan...and leave aside. till time to serve.

Method for Tuna in basil-tomato sauce:

1 ) peel and wash onions, slice them thinly.
2 ) peel, wash and chop garlic cloves. (chopping garlic will apparently give more flavour than crushing...no idea how true that is)
3 ) wash and shred the basil leaves
4 ) wash and chop parsley
5 ) in a skillet or pan heat 1 table spoon of olive oil.
6 ) add to the hot olive oil garlic and onion and parsley, let it all reduce for abt 10 minutes on low-medium heat..till it's all tender not brown.
7 ) open tin of tomatoes, if using chopped tomatoes just add it to the redusing onions. If not, then coarsly chop the plum tomatoes and add with the content of the tin (the watery/juicy bits :wink: )
8 ) add bay leaf and the 4 cloves, and also the concentrated tomato puree.
9 ) open tin of tuna...drain the brine, and add to the tomato and onions in the pan, add 3 tablespoons of water
10 ) close pan/skillet with lid and let it cook for abt 15-17 mins till the sauce thickens, stirring ocasionally.
11 ) when the sauce has thickened, remove using a spoon and a fork bay leaf and 4 cloves(optional...but you shouldn't ever eat cloves)
12 ) add the shredded basil, and stir.
13 ) season with salt and pepper, mix well. Take off from fire/heat.

Serving Suggestion:

*on a plate arrange the Tagliatelle in the middle, on tops pour 2-4 tablespoons of the tuna in tomato sauce.
*decorate with a sprig of basil and sprinkly parmesan or grated cheddar.

1 ) this dish can be accompanied with a green salad for starters:

* 6 tablespoons olive oil
*2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
*salt and pepper
*1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
*1 pinch of dried oregano

Mix all these ingredients thoroughly (use a whisk) and use this dressing for green salad...use 2 or 3 varieties of lettuce leaves on which you pour the dressing and then toss the leaves :wink: .

2 ) for dessert:

*2 scoops of dairy or vanilla ice cream
*1 teaspoon of chopped pistachio
*1 teaspoon of chopped cashew nuts
*honey

in a bowl put ice-cream scoops, sprinkle nuts (nice if u can grill them first ), and drizzle loads of honey on top.....and hey presto u get yummy cheap dessert.
If you want posh dessert, then garnish with 2 sliced strawberries and a mint leaf.

(I don't do posh...cos I'm a poor student :ee: , and usually clever enough to get my friends to bring dessert :wink: )

Vegans/veggies:
***you may subsitute tuna with deep fried chunks of "Soy meat"
Bon Appetit :D

(btw: Basil is the same as Thulasi...but a different variety...the european basil doesn't look like the thulasi at all.)

Blue.

PS: Sugar-Lolly don't even think abt it :evil:

vasan
06-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Bambino.. :P

All good and detailed recipes.. Will try and let you know.. (though only one per weekend.. :P) and I am going to add chunks of white meat chicken instead of tune-aaa? :wink: Please grant me your approval, mon cheri !

Thanks !

Vasan

ps: Bleu.. I am IMPRESSED.. :b: Way to go.. :P :P

Bluelotus
06-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Mon cher Vasan,

yup ...you can use chicken instead of tuna chunks

Basil does go well with chicken.

But you will have to use boneless meat choped into very tiny pieces ...abt 1.5-2 cm cubed :wink:
:sm12:
okie just kidding :ee:

however...I have never tried it with chicken...

Chicken cubes/chunks must be thouroughly cooked b4 adding to sauce:

using 1 tablespoon of olive oil saute chicken in a wok/frying pan till they are fully cooked and golden brown.
otherwise you will be risking salmonella :wink:

simply cos it's too time consuming..opening a tin of tuna is so much faster :P

(btw...me being female, "my dear" in French will translate as "ma chere/ ma cherie" :wink: )

not-so-bleu :ahha: ,

Blue

RaasuKutty
06-12-2004, 04:36 AM
Blue,

Nice detailed ones.. I havent tried many international foods... Time to try them... :b: :b:

Is there any website that gives some pictures of these common ingredients.. end up getting into "Totally lost" mode after entering a grocery store...

"mon cherie"
"ma cherie"

My translation tool shows "My Cherry" as meaning for both these words.. Where does the gender come here... Who's mistake.. Is it the tranlation tool or my ignorance :oops: :oops: or ur fault :ahha: :ahha:

Luv,
...Srini

Bluelotus
06-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Srini-Kutty,
Thank you

:evil: over lollu pannathengho :evil:

:oops:
Mon Francais (my french ) sucks big time :(

"my dear" in French would be "Mon Cher" or "Ma Chere"

French like German uses gender for all nouns.
so you would have a female table "la table" and a male drinking-glass "un verre"

a good translation site is : www.freetranslations.com
beware of free translations ...
there will always be a certain amount of mistakes as it is done by some weird software thingy :ee:

cherry = cerise (cherry blossoms are lovely...and the fruit is yummy :ahha: )

I don't know where you got your translation from ...but my French teacher would probly murder you :ee:

and approam Vasan tha tha-ve kellungho
ennakku only English theriyum :ee:

basil:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XaLmmqA7M80J:memb ers.tripod.com/lancione-laura/images/laur_plnts/basil.jpg

tagliatelle:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Hw8Un51IGx8J:www. lavecchiascuola.com/Foto%2520scuola/Tagliatelle%25203%2520nidi.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:4dXURBlJZ7QJ:www. delphini.co.uk/pasta/tagliatelle.jpg

fusilli:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:9uqxDV9uX98J:www. makaron.website.pl/encyklopedia/foto/fusilli.jpg

broad leafed parsley:

http://www.earthlygoods.com/large_herb_jpgs/italian%20parsley.jpg

curly parsley:

http://mr.hamacco.net/pasta/pic2/parsley.jpg

both curly and broad leaved parsley:

http://www.vegies.com.au/store/images/categories/parsley.jpg

Parmesan:

http://www.wisdairy.com/cheeseinfo/cheesechart-photos/parmesan-large.jpg

Dried oregano will be in the spice and dry herb section (condiment section) of the supermarket,
It should be available in a labeled bottle or a label packet.

:think: I think the rest should be straight fwd.

Tuna comes in a can/tin and so do the plum tomatoes :ee:

And you can ask the shop assistant at : walmart, k-mart, asda, tesco, waitrose, sainsbury's, etc...
To show you where the stuff is :ee:

Blue.

vasan
06-12-2004, 03:36 PM
ma cherie bleu,

merci (!) for the explanation and corrections..

just as you can buy tuna in a tin, you can also buy cubes of white meat chicken, all nicely precooked, in a tin... la la lallaaaaaa...

You think me gonna buy one huge kozhi and spend 2.35 days in trying to find perfect cubes of .33 in cube in size.. :sm12: :sm12: Welcome to lazy man's world, dearie.. :P

Thanks for the recipe.. sure looks yummy - what with pic of ingredients and all - will try and let you know.. :b:

chestnut blossoms are fairer...

vasan

Shy
06-12-2004, 04:14 PM
sweet lotus, great recipes !!!

konjam veg recipesum solungalaen for people like us :)

Shy

Bluelotus
06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Shy Akka,

Vegetarian/vegan option is orange :ee:

but instaead of soy chuncks or Tuna or chicken you can use....mushrooms:
oyster mushrooms and champignon de paris.
you will get 2 nice flavours which go well with basil.

I will post a really nice adapted recipe for vegans ....laters promise. :wink:

(all recipes are adapted..cos as yet I have been unable to follow one to the letter :? )

:D

:00: chicken in tin/can ...wow!!
And I thought I was lazy :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Blue.

RaasuKutty
06-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Blues,

Thanks for providing the pics..

I normally use google translations.. It translates regular bookish sentences but fails miserably for slang words.. just cant help... Let ur french teacher also know this.. or else she wud feel bad for murdering an adorable young man.. :lol: :lol:

Shy
06-12-2004, 07:41 PM
swwet lotus.... naan mushroom sapida mataenae :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

But sweet of you.... Will try with soya thou :)

Shy