PDA

View Full Version : Legal status to Prostitution?

yogesh220
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Government considers licences for prostitutes

The Centre is considering a proposal to introduce licences for sex workers in the country, Union Minister of State for Human Resources Kanti Singh said on Tuesday.

Singh told reporters in Patna that the move is part of the measures contemplated by the government to bring sex workers into the social mainstream and improve their standard of living by giving them a formal status.

There are nearly two million sex workers in India, almost half a million of them living in subhuman conditions.

Technically, prostitution itself is not a crime in India, though soliciting for clients, advertising prostitution, living off the earnings of prostitutes, recruiting prostitutes, or trafficking in women are crimes.

There are many countries which have accorded legal sanction to prostitution, not only to bring it under the purview of rules, but to also play a more proactive part in enforcing safe sex for the benefit of both the prostitute and the client, and by extension the client's family.

Non-governmental organisations working with prostitutes strongly feel that licences will give the trade a formal status and help remove the stigma associated with it.

RaasuKutty
06-15-2004, 01:35 PM
They should have done this long time back.. Little late but they have atleast done now...

My vote is Good :b: :b:

GoodBoy
06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
My vote is GOOD...

Mumbaila prostetuion area thaniya iruku..so matha areas elam calma and neat iruku...

but

other citiesla permit panathathunala..ooru fulla anga anga illegala business panitu irukanga..

avungalukunu thani area alot panita..mathavanga nimathiya irupanga..

katteri
06-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Prostitution...started from very old age......

People r forced to do this....either due circumstances r due to financial req...

ITS MERE EXPLOITATION OF A HUMAN ....

As a govt it shd abolish prosn...but making legal does it gng to control the STDs.(Sexually transmitted diseases).
I srongly disagreee

dinesh
06-15-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't think making it legal would solve all the problems overnight.......putting them in a seperate area is just like branding them, and lots of people wouldnt like it.

anainar
06-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Yogi,

Chinna payyan podara topicaa ithu? Ithukaagavay you need to be whipped. Prostitution is illegal, both technically and non technically Yogi. It depends on what you call as prostitution. Sex between consenting adults is not a criminal offence, though it might constitute adultry for married persons. But only when it is done for money, it is a criminal offence.

I support the legislation. It is more so because it gives them legality as a profession. Instead of looking through the morality/immoral prism, a realistic look will make us aware of the problem. Atleast with legalisation, they will get better medical treatment, insurances, and labour rights. I dont think it is going to solve the problems overnight. But is a step in the right direction. The banks have started letting them open bank accounts for handling their cash. These are all positive signs that they are getting their long due respect. No one enters prostitution willingly and it is inhuman to treat them like outcasts. This legislation might bring a human face to their interactions with outside world.

Cheers

Bluelotus
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
What next ???

How abt making thievery legal too, shall we??

I mean heck ...let's start a guild of thieves
a guild for drug dealers
a guild for prostitutes...

I mean let's all make it legal shall we!

(being sarcastic here... :Ksp: )

No to legalisation of Prostitution...
do you truly think that legalising brothels will make their life easier.... it's just gonna make more and more woman vulnerable to that particular evil of society.

Ppl will start to sell their girls to that so called "legal profession"
India is already a terrible place for women in general...
female infanticide is still very high...the rate of teenage girls killing themselves is getting higher...
now they are all going to be sold off by their poor or avaricious parents to sexual slavery legally.

great stuff :b:
(sarcastic again.)

What ppl should do is address the real issues.
the lack of employment....the lack of education..poverty...etc...add ress these issues and slowly prostitution will decrease.

Of course prostitution also exhist in the so called developed world ..and yes their too you have cruel individuals exploiting women and children....but they are trying to address those issues too...

so why not collaborate and put a stop to it ....

a good way ...I think the Scandinavians came up with it.
is too fine the "client" of the prostitutes with very large fines...and humiliate them in front of their spouses.

seems to work.

okie ....was very offending in the above post...
sorry ppl....just feel rather strongly abt it.

my deepest appologies.

Blue.

Shy
06-15-2004, 04:40 PM
RK and Sara

:00: Good???

This is utter nonsense. Pardon my language, but how can one make it legal anything like this?

This is highly inappropriate and its a BIG NO. Athu panrathae thappu, athula enna legal vera irukku. Chumma for years this has been there ellam ok, it was there, because our Govt was not strict.. Mid east countries mathiri strict rules irunthu iruntha, U wont easy a city like mumbai with lots of stuff like this. Ithula u want to spoil they entire nation by leagalizing it.

What do u think will happen.

(1) Increase in AIDS, STDS - Coz they are legal now, so its their wish on whatever they do, wit protection or not.
(2) Thus leading to millions of orphans
(3) Eppo, if those people are captured, u throw them away for good. What will the police do with the raids and other dirty things that will happen in future. They can just watch, coz they are legal.

This is a PRIVATE thing and it can be legalised only in one way, thats marriage!!

Shy

Bluelotus
06-15-2004, 04:43 PM
:00:

Shy akka ...marriage is legal prostitution-aaaa????

aiyoooooooooooooooooo ...kadhavul kaaakae :doh:
Narayana Narayana! ithu enna kodhumai :00:

Blue.

Shy
06-15-2004, 05:01 PM

Shy akka ...marriage is legal prostitution-aaaa????

aiyoooooooooooooooooo ...kadhavul kaaakae :doh:
Narayana Narayana! ithu enna kodhumai :00:

Blue.

aiyooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

sweetie, enna eppadi solra...

Acho let me explain..

What I meant is about sex, thats the private thing. Athuku orae oru legal way thaan irukku, that is to get married sonaen... :00:

Prostitution is NOT a single and only one partner, what I tried to mean is entirely the opposite of this :(

Eppo purinchuthaa???

Shy

vasan
06-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Yo - 'faster-than-inter-continental-express-Bleu'..

Teacher didn't say marriage is a legal prostitution. Teacher says

This is a PRIVATE thing and it can be legalised only in one way, thats marriage!!

Shy

'This' here refers to sex - not prostitution.... Being a friendly chap, I am helping you escape a couple of :evil: and a ray of poorikattais..

:P

I did say good... but more out of frustration than agreeing with prostitution as a practice.. More on that later (after some work... :oops:)

Vasan

ps: I might add, for Blues anger on women's rights, it is the womens lib group that has been lobbying for this act, to be fair. There are sound reasons for such an act.. albeit, you might not agree with it.. I think Anainar summed it up rather adroitly..

ps: ps: teacher paathutaanga.. :oops: :oops: Mattineenga Sweet :P lotus..

anainar
06-15-2004, 05:16 PM
As expected strong reactions from two of the leading lights of Women's lib team in Geetham. But getting emotional or enacting barbaric laws or humiliating a client infront of their spouses does not solve the problem. Even in the west where sex is not considered a taboo, prostitution is a criminal offence. Consensual sex is ok but not the one for money. It is a kind of double standard I would say left to the interpretation of officer concerned.

Let us face it. Whether we like it or not prostitution has been around time immemorial. Rather than getting too moralistic about it and go to the extreme of public humiliation, look at the facts. Once it becomes legal, it might become a profession by choice rather than the forced one as of now. They openly have to be associated with the profession and it can be ascertained what is happening. Now every one denies it and police has to go extra distance to see if some one is forced. Any one without a license can be considered being forced and rescued. And it gives access to a better life for them.

Increase in AIDS, STDS - Coz they are legal now, so its their wish on whatever they do, wit protection or not.
The main purpose of this legislation is to reduce the risk of AIDS as the workers will have rights unlike now. This will also allow them to avail medical services legally without being worried about being harassed by policemen.

I for one support this. It is evil for sure, but if we cannot eradicate them, we better make lives better for them.

Cheers

dinesh
06-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Even in the west where sex is not considered a taboo, prostitution is a criminal offence.

Not really. Prosistution is not illegal in a lot of countries, contrary to popular belief. It is the acts related with prostitution which are illegal, like soliciting, living off immoral earnings, kerb crawling and requesting sexual favours for money etc. So, the general consensus, IMO, is to look at the prostitutes themselves with a certain degree of leniency, and that is the correct attitude too, because most of the people who are there are not there because they want to be there. Many are drug addicts and need money to feed their habits, and so on.

Once it becomes legal, it might become a profession by choice rather than the forced one as of now. They openly have to be associated with the profession and it can be ascertained what is happening. Now every one denies it and police has to go extra distance to see if some one is forced. Any one without a license can be considered being forced and rescued. And it gives access to a better life for them.

Not really. I can't really accept it when you say, if we legalize prostitution, then the prostitutes will start to have a better life overnight. As I explained above, a lot of people are into this, because there is no other option for them in life. Hence, by legalizing it, we will only see more and more such women pushed into the "trade", whereas their true problem lies elsewhere, like drug addiction or unemployment. What we will end up doing by legalizing it is to turn a blind eye towards the real problems, problems because of which these women are there, and problems which should be prioritized.

Shy
06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
As expected strong reactions from two of the leading lights of Women's lib team in Geetham. But getting emotional or enacting barbaric laws or humiliating a client infront of their spouses does not solve the problem. Even in the west where sex is not considered a taboo, prostitution is a criminal offence. Consensual sex is ok but not the one for money. It is a kind of double standard I would say left to the interpretation of officer concerned.

Thats what is different between us and them anainar. Here a marriage is scared and A guy for a girlnu oru concept innum irukku. All because of the values we are holding on to. thats why relationships are more intact here when compared to west. Angae sex is like a game, whether for money or not, doesnt matter. Those people already private scared mattera different loop holes kuduthu encouraging people. So I dont think we need to set our rules by comparing ourselves to the damn west !!! Consensual sex for money, affair, Rape whatever it is is wrong, Period.

A married guy/girl having an affair - athuku law konduvaanga, thats good
No prostitution law konduvaanga thats good.

Let us face it. Whether we like it or not prostitution has been around time immemorial. Rather than getting too moralistic about it and go to the extreme of public humiliation, look at the facts. Once it becomes legal, it might become a profession by choice rather than the forced one as of now. They openly have to be associated with the profession and it can be ascertained what is happening.

How can u be sure, one wont be forced then, just because its legal. Dont u think the pimps will be even more excited to get hold of more and increase their territory??? U are sayign as if once its legalised, they are accepted by the society. Thats a big NOOOOO. How can one accept a person with profession like that. They can rather die than sell something like that :evil:

Now every one denies it and police has to go extra distance to see if some one is forced. Any one without a license can be considered being forced and rescued. And it gives access to a better life for them

Legalising is not like giving u a GC by having proper interviews. We know hoe India operates. Once its legal. One can get ID for whomever they want. Thus u actually increase the workers and not actually helping them, coz u will still never know if they are forced.

Anainar.. Eppo kooda a person can go to any non-profit organizations around the country or the women welfare people and get help. But they dont and I dont think by legalising alone anyone will come forward.

Second of all, legal or illegal, assume a girl is rescued,what type of future do u think she will have?? a normal life liek any other girl???

The main purpose of this legislation is to reduce the risk of AIDS as the workers will have rights unlike now. This will also allow them to avail medical services legally without being worried about being harassed by policemen.

AIDS related help is open to whoever come. Its not that they have any rights now. Yaar sona they dontnu.. U know tons of volunteers are helping all these ladies around and begging them to atleast come for a test. They are preaching safe sex all around.

Illegala irukarapoovae they dont care and how do u expect them to follow ur advice when they are legal. U still cant pressure them to ave safe sex can u. Its their individual decision and they have to understand the consequences and do it, legal or not.

Finally, Prostituation thaan legal pana mudiyum, safe sex should be followednu u cant put a rule, thus u are not acieving anything by making this damn one legal.

I for one support this. It is evil for sure, but if we cannot eradicate them, we better make lives better for them.

Nope, Why make life better for them, when theres an option of pressuring them with all the force we have and scaring the people not to follow it instead.

As I said before, mid east countries mathiri very infinte time strict rules iruntha, yaar gutsooda ithai seivaa, when ur life is in line?

Shy

dinesh
06-15-2004, 05:36 PM

Anyone and everyone should have accessed to medical services. Even if it's prisoners on death row, we see them being given decent medical care. So, there is no question of giving out medical services legally, it is a human right and should be given out to everyone regardless of where they satnd under the law. If policemen chose to prevent the medical access to prostitutes it only shows the ignorance of the policemen, and the only people who need to be corrected are the policemen.

RaasuKutty
06-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Sorry for the sidetrack guyz,

Here a marriage is scared and A guy for a girlnu oru concept innum irukku.

Shy... unmai yaa solliteenga.. :lol: :lol: sacred aa scared nnu type panniteenga..

Back to the main topic...

female infanticide is still very high...the rate of teenage girls killing themselves is getting higher... now they are all going to be sold off by their poor or avaricious parents to sexual slavery legally.

Blue, Dont think in that way.. Making it legal will first bring all those exploited lot to the real humane world... Currently a women branded as a prostitute is isolated/devoid of any human rights/human help... making it legal will help them get all these.. The only way they can save themselves is when they are introduced to the society as a human... This is definitively a welcome rule.. My real :clap: :clap: :clap: for the govt...

Morality...

Morality is what we define... we accept donating eggs for money by calling it genorosity... we accept a one night stand b/w 2 ppl in the name of dating/friendship... what is wrong here in accepting this too.. its just that the word prostitution has been branded wrong... what is wrong and immoral if 2 majors accept for a one night stand for money...

call it as some ppl's need/greed for money... till the time it happens with their consent, I dont see any thing "IMMORALE"....

silican
06-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I would say this to be a good step by the govt. Though this is not a solution, this is a good move. Guys if you get a chance, please read the novel, " En peyar Ranganayaki" by Indra Soundarrajan. the story reveals how a prostitute suffers and how tht affects her son. The same was portrayed in PC.Sreeram's vanam vasappadum.

Atleast by legalizing it, these poor women who were forced into it can get some of their rights.

anainar
06-15-2004, 06:52 PM
So, there is no question of giving out medical services legally, it is a human right and should be given out to everyone regardless of where they satnd under the law.

You misunderstood my point. Most of the sex workers now are denied medical services for "N" number of reasons and many of them are infected with AIDS. First and foremost they dont want to admit their profession because it is considered anathema. Removing that hurdle is the first step. It is for this reason they dont approach any NGOs also for help. Once we get that stigma out, they will be accessible to medical treatment. So it is the otherway around than what you said.

There are close to 8 million women in this profession. Enacting brutal laws is not going to help this population. They deserve to live and live decently. This legalisation will make sure it happens. Pimps increasing their area does not hold water. I dont know how they intend to identify individuals and wont be like a GC process. But there will be an avenue for someone who is forced into this business to escape.

Society accepting is a different story. But my point is this 8 million people need a living. We will try to bring down the number over the years. No amount of punitive action will help us reduce this number. It will be only through concerted efforts that it be achieved. Legalisation is the first step. That is all I am saying. I dont say it is going to solve every problem.

Cheers

sri_gan
06-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Prostitution is bad.

In a Ideal world, there is no need of its existence. But circumstances and society make these thing happen.

To My knowledge its just down to every individual's decision for that sake socially encouraging it is a bad mistake.

Legal Status for People in Prostitution who suffered from the Legal Difficulties is OK with me under one common goal to abolish that for future generation.

Legalising it as a Job could end up in Jeopardizing the lifestyle of Future Generations to come for sure. So My Vote is Bad.

There are 6 votes for Good... and More people talk under bad... achiriyama irruku... paakalam.

dinesh
06-15-2004, 08:55 PM
You misunderstood my point. Most of the sex workers now are denied medical services for "N" number of reasons and many of them are infected with AIDS. First and foremost they dont want to admit their profession because it is considered anathema. Removing that hurdle is the first step. It is for this reason they dont approach any NGOs also for help. Once we get that stigma out, they will be accessible to medical treatment. So it is the otherway around than what you said.

I didn't misunderstand. I was just saying you need not legalize prostitution to give the people involved in it decent medical service. Lots of NGO's are doing it at the moment, especially in India, and it's only the government which has a strict attitude towards them. If the government comes down and makes arrangements for STD clinics and the likes of it, thta would be a welcome change. Instead, I don't see any positives by leagalizing it. Still, in such societies, the prostitutes will be looked at with a lowly view, and because of that people will be unwilling to come forward and accept they are in that profession, even if it is legal.

There are close to 8 million women in this profession. Enacting brutal laws is not going to help this population. They deserve to live and live decently. This legalisation will make sure it happens.

See, you are not grasping my point from the outset. You make it sound as if though legalizing prostitution will solve the people's problem overnight. You are painting a rosy picture, while in reality that's not the truth. People who are involved in it for fun. They are there because they have been pushed into a corner and canno9t do anything else. It is this problem we have to try and solve.

For example, there could be a drug addict who is a prostitute because she/he needs to feed her addiction. How is legalizing going to help them? They will continue to suffer with their problems, while we turn a blind eye towards them and just say, "Well, prostitution is legal now, so they shouldn't be having a problem"

What I'm saying here is, prostitution is not the real problem here. People who are in it are there for different reasons, and that's what we have to look at. If all those problems were solved, then these people won't be in prostitution anymore, and there won't be any need to discuss whether we should legalize prostitution or not.