PDA

View Full Version : Geetham Book Club - choose book for June 2005!

ferny
07-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Hello Geethamites

Looking for lively discussion or debate? How about joining the Geetham Book Club?

Here is how it works. We will all choose a book to read and a time in which to read it in. Then we can all get together and have a literary debate about the book. We can discuss character traits, plausibility of the plot, themes, style of writing, etc. As you can see the topics for discussion is endless.

Join us for this months Selection.. :)

Ferny

-------------------------------------

-------------------------

:sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30:

[highlight=red:8acab5242c]Geetham Book Club [/highlight:8acab5242c]

Reading for May 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Douglas Adams

:sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30: :sm30:

---------------------------

http://images.killermovies.com/h/thehitchhikersguidetothegalaxy/gallery/poster.jpg

vasan
07-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Yaaahooooo... :P :P You do come up with lovely ideas, Ferny.. :P :P :b: :b: (thats a double thumbs up... :P )

I would be more than glad to join in one. I have read all the three, 1 twice, 2 once, and 3 several times. But yes, I would be glad to read any of them.. hmm.. A suggestion, if I may... :oops: Could you run it off as a poll. So who ever wants to read (or join the club) can vote and choose the one that many prefers and we can go from there..

Should we start the Club, officially of 4th of July.. (easy date to remember.. )!!

To life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... rrr.. I mean in pursuit of a happy read.. :wink:

Vasan

ps: How about if we start a Tamil Book... .:wink:.. Just pulling your legs Ferny.. :P :P

yogesh220
07-01-2004, 02:56 AM
I am in there...But...but...I have read none of these books and so it is a good idea....I have just one query to the already read readers...Are they interesting... Coincidentally..Barani has defined "Classic as a book which everyone praises but nobody reads..."..

Anyhow, good idea Ferny. :clap:

Bluelotus
07-01-2004, 02:57 AM
:clap: :b:
Great Ferny :wink: !!

Well I'm game for any of the three...a very good collection!

:oops: I haven't read anything by Thomas Hardy though...

I would love to suggest Asimov or Terry Pratchett ... but will probly get boooed :wink:

Classics are a good place to start :b:

Maybe I will vote for Hardy...since I haven't read him yet :think:

btw ...I'm a slow reader :ee: :oops: :ee:

blue.

ferny
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Wow! I'm glad to see that there is interest!! KEWL!

I have opened a poll. So please vote for the book you want to read. Below is a bit about each book to help you decide.

1) Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice, published in 1813, is Jane's Austen's earliest work, and in some senses also one of her most mature works. Austen began writing the novel in 1796 at the age of twenty-one, under the title First Impressions. Between 1810 and 1812 Pride and Prejudice was rewritten for publication. While the original ideas of the novel come from a girl of 21, the final version has the literary and thematic maturity of a thirty-five year old woman who has spent years painstakingly drafting and revising, as is the pattern with all of Austen's works. Pride and Prejudice is the story of Mr and Mrs Bennet (minor gentry), their five daughters, and the various romantic adventures at their Hertfordshire residence of Longbourn. It is the story of the various affections, affectations and engagement shenanigans that develop due to Mrs Bennet's relentless matchmaking and the dashing Darcy's tempestuous relationship with Elizabeth Bennet who Jane Austen claimed was favourite amongst her literary offspring. Pride and Prejudice is usually considered to be the most popular of Austen's novels.

2) Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Tess of the d'Urbervilles, like the other major works by Thomas Hardy, although technically a nineteenth century work, anticipates the twentieth century in regard to the nature and treatment of its subject matter. The novel questions society's sexual mores by compassionately portraying a heroine who is seduced by the son of her employer and who thus is not considered a pure and chaste woman by the rest of society. Upon its publication, Tess of the d'Urbervilles encountered brutally hostile reviews; although it is now considered a major work of fiction, the poor reception of Tess and Jude the Obscure precipitated Thomas Hardy's transition from writing fiction to poetry. Nevertheless, the novel was commercially successful and assured Hardy's financial security.

3) Great Expectations

One of Dickens’ shorter novels and also one of his most influential is Great Expectations. It appeared initially in serial form in All The Year Round between 1860 and 1861 and is now considered to be one of his finest novels. It concerns the young boy Philip Pirrip (known as ‘Pip’) and his development through life after an early meeting with the escaped convict Abel Magwitch, who he treats kindly despite his fear. His unpleasant sister and her humorous and friendly blacksmith husband, Joe, bring him up. Crucial to his development as an individual is his introduction to Miss Havisham (one of Dickens’ most brilliant portraits), a now aging woman who has given up on life after being jilted at the altar. Cruelly, Havisham has brought up her daughter Estella to revenge her own pain and so as Pip falls in love with her she is made to torture him in romance.

As one of our book club members has suggested :wink: how does 4th of July sound to start the club?

Is 1 month reading-time enough for a book?

Vasan, great suggestions! I take all the advice teacher gives :wink: If you have read all the books on the list, please feel free to suggest some titles that you are interested in.

Yogesh! thanks for joining :) :lol: I guess that is one way to define a classic. I hope you find one of them interesting.

Blue, please do suggest some books by Asimov and Terry Pratchett that interest you. I haven't read any of their works. Actually I have not read much science fiction. I guess we can't judge a book by its genre either eh?

vasan
07-01-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't mind reading any of them - or all of them, but I voted for Pride and Prejudice... (wanted to refresh my memory of Elizabeth and Darcy, in time to see Bride and Prejudice... :wink: )

And the name Estella is sounding spookily similar to Esha, I don't even want to go anywhere near Pip, afraid that somethigns could be contagious.... :P :P :P

v-

Bluelotus
07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Well Any of them will do for me.

To revisit Eliza and DArcy shall be a lovely treat...

Dickens is always good...although my fav is David copperfield :ahha:

so u guys hurry up and decide :ee:

By Asimov : Nightfall and Foundation would be good to talk about I feel..

Terry Pratchett : is really not Science fiction... :ee: He is a satirist :wink: really fun to read ..and full of British humour...he does have a world wide fan following too ...even in the USA :wink:

Jules Verne is also good...
and of course can we forget the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy ...by Douglas Adams...really great book :D

aaaahhhh the list is endless

:wink: we can also do all the HP books :ee: Potter Mania has never quite left us after all :P

so shall it be Austen or Dickens or Hardy??

:think:

blue

Shy
07-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Wow, Great Idea Ferny !!!! :b: :clap: :sm03:

I am in too :) I havent read the first 2!! Just finished Reading Clintons life :ee:

My vote :think: for Hardy !!! I havent read his creations yet :)

Yes july 4th is fine and one month too.. but sweet lotus seems to be a slow reader...maybe u can extend a week or too for her if u can :ee:

Shy

vasan
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Dickens is always good...although my fav is David copperfield :ahha:

:wink: we can also do all the HP books :ee: Potter Mania has never quite left us after all :P

blue

Blue... :P

Give me five.. :wink: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I love Dickens.. :P :P I too like Copperfield very much.

Harry potter.. Yeah, sure, I am up for it.... Done only the first four. Gotta read the Order of Phoenix.... (waiting for paper back.. :( :( :( )

Teacher has already finished Clinton's... Wow.. :P :P

Folks, come fast and enroll in the book club... :D :D

Vasan

Bluelotus
07-03-2004, 08:34 PM
:think:

somebody tell me quick...

I am the world's slowest reader..and I don't want to have to read all three books within july...It's summer holidays ppl...I need fresh air :ee:

Vasan,
so kewl :yes:
well...no worries..when u do get to read it ..U 'll be very happy with it :wink: .. it is the biggest so far... and I managed it in 2 days ...without sleeping :ee:

so come on pick one quick!!!!!!

:ee:

blue.

vasan
07-03-2004, 09:19 PM
okie, Folks, We will stick to Pride and Prejudice for July. 3 people enthusiatically voted for that, and 2 for Tess. So we will do Jane Austen this month.

Okvaa?

Feel free to discuss the book as you proceed with reading it.. Post which chapters you are now reading.. (so we can avoid spoilers in our discussion.. you hear me, ms. fast reading blues.. :wink:)

Hope this is ok with Ferny and others too.. :P :P Any objections, I am willing to hear in August... :sm12: :sm12:

Vasan

ps: Cheezzz.. book reading is totally popular in Geetham. 5 people have voted.. :oops: :oops:

Shy
07-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Great !!!! lets get started :)

Shy

Shy
07-03-2004, 10:43 PM
:oops: Link work aagalai :(

Yaara link post panreengala please :)

Thanks much

Shy

Bluelotus
07-04-2004, 12:03 AM
okie working links for Pride and Prejudice :ee:

1) http://www.bartleby.com/303/2/

2) http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/pridprej.html scroll down the page...you will find links to the actual novel

3) http://www.literaturepage.com/read/prideandprejudice.html

general online books links:

1) http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/

2) www.bartleby.com

3) http://www.literaturepage.com/read/

These should work.

happy reading all

:D

blue.

Shy
07-04-2004, 02:43 AM
mikka nandri sweet lotus :D

Will start reading :D

Shy

ferny
07-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Wow guys! I'm so excited to get started on our first book, Pride and Prejudice. I guess we should aim to finish the book by August 4th (its not written in stone...so don't worry :))

As Vasan suggested, it would be a great idea if we could post our comments as we read the book. It would be cool to see other people's reactions to the events in the book.

Some tips I found on getting the most out of your book:

1) Begin each new novel without predetermined bias. If you decide in advance that all good art uses realistic settings and promotes your personal moral values, you close out the possibility of new experiences. You do not have to, nor should you, enjoy every work of literature that you read. But you should be willing to recognize that the imagination is limitless.

2) Read slowly. This suggestion can't be stressed enough. If you roller skate through an art museum you won't see the paintings.

3) Read with pen in hand. Underline key phrases, speeches by major figures, or important statements by the narrator. But don't limit yourself. Underline or highlight anything that seems important or striking. Take notes on ideas or questions (don't trust your memory). Write in the margins. Keep a list of the characters and/or major events on the inside of the front cover. Circle words used in special ways or repeated in significant patterns. Look up words that you don't know or words you think you know but seem to have a special weight or usage.

4) Look for those qualities that professional writers look for in real life: conflict, contrast, contradiction, and characterization.

5) Look for rhythm, repetition and pattern. Successful works of literature incorporate such structural devices in the language, dialogue, plot, characterization, and elsewhere. Pattern is form, and form is the shaping the artist gives to his or her experience. If you can identify the pattern and relate it to the content, you'll be on your way to insight.

6) Ask silent questions of the material as you read. Don't read passively, waiting to be told the "meaning." Most authors will seldom pronounce a moral. Even if they do, a work of literature is always more than its theme. Use the questions devised by reporters: Who, What, When, Where. Why and How may take more study--such questions probe the inner levels of a text.

7) Keep a reading journal. Record your first impressions, explore relationships, ask questions, write down quotations, copy whole passages that are difficult or aesthetically pleasing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for updating the thread Vasan :D

Great Links blue :ee: I have a paperback version but its kewl to sneak some reading in at work (shhhh :ush: ) during breaks.

Welcome welcome shy akka :):) I voted Hardy too...ah well geetham is a democratic society...maybe we can get more support for next month.

C'mon geethamites join the book club!! We have just started reading...its never too late to get in on all the fun!!!

sWEEtmICHe
07-07-2004, 05:36 AM
:clap: :clap: ..... ferny
i love "Pride and Prejudice" ......,
support always there :D

Shy
07-07-2004, 04:27 PM
great tips ferny.. !!!

Will read a bit more and then give u my comments so far :)

Shy

vasan
07-08-2004, 09:50 PM
being an oldschooler, can't do with e-versions of stuff... :(

SO went an bought a copy of P&P... Oxford World Classic edition sells for 6.95 bucks - and then bought a textbook (for some crazy stuff) for 15 bucks... You want to hear the sad story.. it was a Dover book, and it was on sale, and the discount was 90 percent...

Terrible isn't it.. :(

Vasan

P & P opens great.. :P :P

vennai1
07-08-2004, 11:04 PM
may i interest yall to read the wonderful kappiyams of tamil ! :)
may be you can alternate between english and tamil ;)
just a suggestion.

as for me, I have read all the three once long back but never pondered much
about any. But, will try to join the discussion and try to learn new perspectives :b:

Bluelotus
07-08-2004, 11:08 PM
hmmm... how to tell you this

me loved the ending so much that I started from the end :oops:
reverting back to normalcy very soon...and shall start from the beginning like the rest of humanity :ahha:

don't you guys have Penguin Classics £1 editions ?
very cheap...never lasts long but worth that pound :wink:

blue.

vennai1
07-09-2004, 12:36 AM
don't you guys have Penguin Classics £1 editions ?

well, i have a copy for sure ! now if only i cud find where it is in the basement ?! :P
i donno abut the penguin editions ! i guess they are available only
available in select places !

i remember mine came with some dvd ! never cared what was in there :P

தமிழன்
07-10-2004, 08:44 AM
This site is rather very good than I expected !

Shy
07-10-2004, 06:40 PM
may i interest yall to read the wonderful kappiyams of tamil ! :)
may be you can alternate between english and tamil ;)
just a suggestion.

good suggestion vic..

yes we can do that :b: I am for it..

But do we have such wonderful kappiyams online?

Shy

ferny
07-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Reading List

Below are books that we may read in the future. Hopefully this list covers all your favorite genres and authors. If you don't see something you want to read in this list, then suggest them and I'll make sure they are included :P .

Title------------------------------------------------------ Author
Airframe------------------------------------------------Michael Crichton
Angela's Ashes-----------------------------------------Frank McCourt
Animal Farm--------------------------------------------George Orwell
Anil's Ghost---------------------------------------------Michael Ondaatje
As For Me and My House------------------------------Sinclair Ross
As I lay Dying------------------------------------------William Faulkner
Beloved-------------------------------------------------Toni Morrison
Brave New World--------------------------------------Aldous Huxley
Blood Brothers-----------------------------------------Brian, Lumley
Buddha Da---------------------------------------------Anne Donovan
Catch 22------------------------------------------------Joseph Heller
The Chamber-------------------------------------------John Grisham
Darlklost -----------------------------------------------Mick, Farren
Darwinia------------------------------------------------Robert Charles Wilson
The DaVinci Code--------------------------------------Dan Brown
The Death of Vishnu-----------------------------------Manil Suri
A Density of Souls-------------------------------------Christopher Rice
Dragonflight--------------------------------------------Anne McCaffrey
Dreamthief's Daughter--------------------------------Michael Moorcock
The Edible Woman-------------------------------------Margaret Atwood
Farenheit 451-------------------------------------------Ray Bradbury
A Farewell To Arms-------------------------------------Ernest Hemingway
Four Past Midnight -------------------------------------Stephen King
The Glass Bead Game---------------------------------Hermann Hesse
Grapes of Wrath----------------------------------------Margaret Mitchell
Great Expectations-------------------------------------Charles Dickens
The Great Gatsby---------------------------------------F.Scott Fitsgerald
Gulliver's Travels---------------------------------------Jonathan Swift
Haroun---------------------------------------------------Salman Rushdie
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy----------------------Douglas Adams
Hominids------------------------------------------------Robert Sawyer
Journey to the Centre of the Earth-------------------Jules Verne
Lolita----------------------------------------------------Vladimir Nabokov
Lonesome Dove----------------------------------------Larry McMurtry
The Martian Chronicles--------------------------------Ray Bradbury
The Mammoth Hunters---------------------------------Jean Auel
Native Son----------------------------------------------Richard Wright
Nightfall and Foundation-------------------------------Isaac Asimov
One Hundred Years of Solitude-----------------------Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Pretty Girl in Crimson Rose---------------------------Sandy Balfour
The Plague----------------------------------------------Albert Camus
Portnoy's Complaint------------------------------------Philip Roth
Reaper Man----------------------------------------------Terry Pratchett
Salt and Saffron-----------------------------------------Kamila Shamsie
The Shadow Lines---------------------------------------Amitav Gosh
Stone Angel----------------------------------------------Margaret Laurence
The Sum of All Fears------------------------------------Tom Clancy
Tess of the d'Urbervilles--------------------------------Thomas Hardy
The Time Machine---------------------------------------H.G. Wells
To Kill a Mockingbird------------------------------------Harper Lee
Two Solitudes--------------------------------------------Hugh Maclennan
Ulysses---------------------------------------------------James Joyce
Vernon God Little----------------------------------------Dbc Pierre
Who Has Seen the Wind--------------------------------W.O. Mitchell

silican
07-11-2004, 03:03 AM
ferny,

I see some good names stephen King, Thomas hardy, Wells, crichton, etc. I would love to see Gundalakesi or valaiyapathi (the sections of the two epics that are still available..)

Silican

Bluelotus
07-11-2004, 01:22 PM
how about we create a seperate thread/topic for tamil books?
I think that may be a better Idea :think:

Hope that Silican, Thamilan, Sweetmiche...
you guys are actually gonna join us in dissecting Pride an Prejudice? :D

Ferny,
please please :pray: add A terry Pratchett :ee:

blue.

silican
07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
I would love to join reading Pride and Prejudice. Right now Im into a Robin cook(Contagion) and American Warheads. Let me finish them and then I shall join then.

Silican

ferny
07-11-2004, 11:09 PM
How is the book so far guys?

I got some time to read it last week and I was able to finish the first two chapters. I have read this book twice before but I still felt excited to read it again.

I loved how the book opened with Mr and Mrs Bennet. They are really a very cute couple. Although they seem to be at odds all the time, I feel that Mr. Bennet really understands his wife more than she does herself. His cool and calm contrasting with her nervousness just seems to add to the comedy. It was soo cute how Mr. Bennet paid a visit to Mr.Bingley and teased Mrs.Bennet. I was laughing at the way Mr.Bennet enjoyed watching his wife get irritated. Their realtionship appears to be strong and mature yet they themselves are very childish. They are sooo cute :P

I can think of quite a few old couples like Mr and Mrs Bennets. I think Jane Austen has captured their relationship really well. In just a few pages you can tell that they love each other very much but they each retain their own views about how to get their daughters married.

My favorite lines so far:

‘You want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it.’ - Mr. Bennet (Chpt 1, Para 8 )

‘You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.’ - Mr. Bennet (Chpt 1, para 29)

Ferny,
please please add A terry Pratchett

You got it blue :ee: I read a few reviews and picked Reaper Man. If you know of a better one let me know.

Vangkoo vangkoo silican :) Join us anytime you can

vasan
07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Shuuper.. :P :P I read it looong time ago, so reading now, its like reading afresh.. :P :P

I loved the opening words too... "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife".... If you have attended a wedding in Tamil Nadu, and over heard, the silk saree crowd, gosh.. You know how universal this truth is... :P :P :P

I loved your first quote from Mr. Bennet too.. :P

Done the first 3 chapters.. :P

Vasan

vasan
07-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Some more wit and wisdom from Jane Austen.. :wink:

'Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always contrive to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life'.

'Keep your breath to cool your porridge..!' (Elizabeth Bennet)

'A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment'. (Mr. Darcy)

- Pride and Prejudice, Vol. I Chap. VI

ferny
07-13-2004, 10:10 PM
If you have attended a wedding in Tamil Nadu, and over heard, the silk saree crowd, gosh.. You know how universal this truth is

So true so true vasan. And like austen says, even though they don't know anything about the man's views or feelings, they are only interested in a good sammandham.

I have still not been able to figure out who the narrator is? Is it austen herself? So are the comments her own or a character's in the story?

I am reading chapter 3 right now. I noticed that austen has used contrasting characters once again. It was Mr and Mrs Bennett in the first chapter. Now it is Mr.Darcy and Mr.Bingley. Mr. Darcy is very reserved at the ball where as Mr. Bingley is quite outgoing. The narrator says that Bingley is like by everyone at the ball and everyone hoped Darcy would never come again. What do you guys make of all this contrasting? Do you like it?

vasan
07-17-2004, 12:44 AM
I just love Elizabeth's Dad. Look what he says for Mr. Collins's proposal to Elizabeth (Both Lizza and Mr. Bennet hate Mr. Collins, but Mrs Bennet thinks the proposal is great..).. Mrs Bennet is entreating Mr. Bennet to strongly advice Elizabeth to accept the proposal, and for that he says...

'An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. - Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.'

Yeah.. :yes: I laughed so hard when I read these lines.. :P :P

Vasan

Shy
07-18-2004, 03:36 PM
acho, one week lagging me :oops: will catch up with u guys !!

Shy

ferny
07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm reading chapter 10 right now and I can't get enough of it! I just love the way the characters speak and oh Jane's wit! Hilarious!

A few things I found and felt like sharing :)

Here is a picture of the Bennet Family from the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice

http://www.geetham.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=734

I won't say who is who. I think the casting is pretty good. From the description in the book, I think you will be able to guess :wink:

Some sure signs you have been reading too much P&P:

1) When something goes wrong, you find yourself shouting "Other way Mr. Collins!"
2) You see something you approve of and say, "Capital! Capital!"
3) Whenever you do something clumsy, you say, "Have a care, Dawkins!"
4) If there is something you don't like you say, "No lace, Mrs. Bennet, I beg of you...," often substituting other appropriate words (such as broccoli, or salt) for "lace."
5) A commonly used phrase to spur people into action is, "I can't have you standing about in this stupid manner," sometimes prefaced with "I must have you dance, I must."
6) You ask friends or family if they'd like to "take a turn about the room", justifying it by saying that "it's so refreshing."
7) You sign your notes to your significant other with: "Love you ardently..."
8 ) When people bother you or you have a bad day you say to them, "You don't know what I suffer!"

Follow this link to get some interesting facts about the regency era: http://www.erasofelegance.com/regency.html

ferny
07-19-2004, 02:38 PM
I came across a few interesting quotes while reading and thought perhaps we could start our first discussion. The following quotes are from Chapter 6. If you haven't read that far, don't worry. The quote should be sufficient for discussion and I haven't given anything away :wink:

Quote 1:
‘Well,’ said Charlotte, ‘I wish Jane success with all my heart; and if she were married to him to-morrow, I should think she had as good a chance of happiness as if she were to be studying his character for a twelvemonth. Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life.’

Do you think Charlotte is right in saying that it is better to know as little as possible about your partner before marriage?

Quote 2:
‘It may, perhaps, be pleasant,’ replied Charlotte, ‘to be able to impose on the public in such a case; but it is sometimes a disadvantage to be so very guarded. If a woman conceals her affection with the same skill from the object of it, she may lose the opportunity of fixing him; and it will then be but poor consolation to believe the world equally in the dark. There is so much of gratitude or vanity in almost every attachment, that it is not safe to leave any to itself. We can all begin freely—a slight preference is natural enough; but there are very few of us who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragement.

Guys and gals do you feel the same way as Charlotte? Do you think women should keep matters of the heart to themselves or be more open about their feelings?

vasan
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
So.. Lizzy is visiting Charlotte and Mr. Collins, and there comes acalling Miss De Bourgh, the not so healthy daughter of Lady De Bourgh. It was rumored that Mr. Darcy and Miss De Bourgh was supposed to be a good match.. On seeing her sickly frame, see what Lizzy comments:

"I like her appearence," said Elizabeth, struck with other ideas. "She looks sickly and cross.- Yes, she will do for him very well. She will make him a very proper wife"...

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

This is an awfully good book. I thoroughly enjoy the wit in the diaglogues..

Vasan

ps: Ferny... signing off letters with 'love you ardently'.... :P :P :P Too much of Austen indeed... :wink:

vasan
07-22-2004, 03:07 AM
IN RESPONSE TO FERNS READING LIST IN THE PRECEDING PAGE>> :Ksp:

Darn...

I have read only about a dozen of the books my learned friend has listed... I am postively illiterate.. :oops: :oops:

Could you also add atleast one Salman Rushdie (Midnight's Children or Haroun and the Seas of Stories.. !) And perhaps a Hesse.... (if you wanna go easy, take siddhartha, or hard, Steppenwolf, or really difficult try Glass Bead Game)..

just a thought...

BTW, what is this book in tamil called: 'Various Kappiyams' :wink: Are we ready.. :P :P

Vasan

vasan
07-22-2004, 03:15 AM
Mannichudungooo.. mannichudungaa... :pray: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03:

Sorry... kathai romba sooperaa irunthathaala.. oree ottamaa thoongama pudikkama padichu mudichitten.. :oops: :oops: Enjoyed it thoroughly.. :P :P

Will wait for every one to finish before I start commenting on it.. :P :P

Howz it going ferns? :wink:

Vasan

ferny
07-22-2004, 03:32 AM
Could you also add atleast one Salman Rushdie (Midnight's Children or Haroun and the Seas of Stories.. !) And perhaps a Hesse.... (if you wanna go easy, take siddhartha, or hard, Steppenwolf, or really difficult try Glass Bead Game)..

Done and Done my friend :) I chose glass bead game. What is life without a challenge eh?

No NO...maybe I should have said my reading wish list. I have read probable ten of them and seen the movie of many more :ee:

The reason I ask everyone to suggest books they want to read, is because after P&P I would like members to pick out the next book we read rather doing a poll. That is if I don't have any objections. Sometimes it is fun to dive head-first into a book that we normally wouldn't normally read in complete faith :P

ferny
07-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Not done yet vasan. Thoongkama padichi mudichitingala? :P I was like that the first time I read P&P. I really forcing myself to take it slow this time. Making a few notes here and there. Hopefully we can have an enthusiastic discussion on the book at the end of the month :P

ferny
07-26-2004, 08:26 PM
How is the reading going folks? We have a little over a week left for reading.

I know vasan, being the super duper fast reader he is, finished the book already.

Me...well...I think I should be done in the next two or three days.

What about everyone else? Blue, Shy, yogesh??

Do we need more time?

vasan
07-26-2004, 08:32 PM
C'me on... folks.. seekirammaa mudiyungo... :P :P :P

Waiting..

v-

Shy
07-26-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a week's reading.. client place poonaen right missed that weeks reading :D

Will let u know once i complete it :)

Shy

Bluelotus
07-27-2004, 05:53 PM
well I did mention that I was a slow reader :?

I'm still stuck on when Lizzie goes to visit Jane at Netherfields 'cause the latter is ill

God I hate Miss Bingley :evil: what an imbecile!! :snooty:
hmm I know that's not very intelligent comment ..but what to do :ee:

Don't you ppl feel really sorry for Mrs Bennet? I mean yeah sure I like Mr bennet better than her...but :00: he is sooooo mean to her...poor woman ...she isn't very bright ...how can she understand his sarcasm :ee:

I promise to write something coherent about what I have read so far by thursday :sm03:

till then happy reading!!

cheerio folks
:ahha:

blue.

vasan
07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Too many things to distract you bluesy.. :wink: Shopping, more shopping and some more shopping and so on.. :D

Look forward to reading your comments... Mrs Bennet is so much like some people I know, I don't know whether to feel sorry or get annoyed.. :Ksp: I mean, she is got 4 daughters to marry off in those days, what can she do? ... but she needn't be this annoying.. :ee:

anyways, come on.. tortoise.. :D :D :D :D

vasan

ferny
07-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I wasn't totally annoyed with Mrs.Bennet. She was a little distracting at times but...you have to admit, she did add alot of comedy and color into the story.

I am done the book too. Wow it was even better the third time around. I paid attention to lots of the itty bitty details and was greatly rewarded. ooo can't wait to pick this one apart with the killer G Book Team :P:P

Thats fine blue babe. Take your time. Would you like us to extend the reading time or would you like to join the discussion on the fly? Both are okay with me. There is one really eager person....but I can make him understand :wink:

Shy, yogesh let us know when you are done too. :)

Bluelotus
07-29-2004, 11:06 PM
trying really I am ...well hello I have to support the British retail Industry too you know :ahha:

opposite attracts they say ... must have been true in the case of mr and mrs bennet :sm12:
what a very odd couple...yet I get the feeling that even if he could have divorced her Mr bennet wouldn't do so ..he seem to actually enjoy his wife's peculiarities if I may call them soo :ee: and derive so much amusement from them

the nerves :sm12: nowdays it's not nerves but headaches and migraines :wink:

I agree with fern babe....they have quite a strong relationship..despite their differences

caroline and mrs B seem to me both cut from the same cloth
whoever is above them in station will be worshiped and the rest derided...well sort of...but mrs B is definitely the nicer one :ee:

arrrrrrghhhh what more can I type :?

when Darcy realises that he may fall for Lizzy...odd that ... but don't we all do it? :think: sort of wonder whether or not that person would be suitable etc...
(I mean I never had much trouble on that account ...Hugh is imminetly suitable :ee: )

okie ...I'll come back later :ahha:

blue.

Shy
07-30-2004, 03:49 PM
hey guys... innum 4 chapters more.. konjam busy pa.. but u know what.. u carry on the discussion will join u guys okvaa..

Shy

ferny
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
WOW geethamites we are done our first book!!! WOoo HOoooo :):)

How about we start of the discussion with some overall comments? You know...like how you liked the book? Does it remind you of anything you have read before? Can you relate to any of the characters in the story? etc etc...

This is my third time reading Pride and Prejudice. I am far from being bored with this book. I think I could read it again :) I don't know what it is about Elizabeth and Darcy's journey but I can't get enough of it. Everytime I read it, the story seems to bring out the same emotions. I laugh out loud at Mr and Mrs. Bennet, I don't like how Darcy is so aloof in the beginning, and how Elizabeth tries to understand his character. At first, I'm always thrown off by Jane's long sentences and language. But by the end it is her wit that keeps me wanting more.

Since I've read Jane's Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Mansfield Park, P&P really reminds me of her other stories. She seems to have the same formula of the girl trying to understand love. In a way..it was also like Hum-Tum and some tamil movie that I can't remember the name of.

I don't think I can relate to any of the Bennet sisters...but in I can in some ways to Darcy. Dont' know why exactly but I can understand him more than Elizabeth.

What did you guys think?

ferny
08-03-2004, 06:29 PM
I brought these questions up a few posts ago but I guess many of you were waiting to finish the book.

Do you think Charlotte is right in saying that it is better to know as little as possible about your partner before marriage?

Guys and gals do you feel the same way as Charlotte? Do you think women should keep matters of the heart to themselves or be more open about their feelings?

n_krisha
08-07-2004, 01:16 AM
did any one have a tamil story book web
like ramani chandran story if u have plz reply me
thz

RaasuKutty
08-07-2004, 01:37 AM
thz

Welcome n_Krisha.. There is a tamil reading club too.. currently Parthiban Kanavu is going on.. Join us :b: :b:

http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11423 ..

Ramani Chandran is interesting too.. We shall definitively look at that too at some time..

Have fun at our reading club and other sections...

mahaling
08-07-2004, 02:44 AM
thz

http://www.dinakaran.co.in/vasantham/novel/2002/jun/23/default.html

here it goes..

Bluelotus
08-07-2004, 08:33 AM

I think Charlotte was a case appart ..being much older than the average debutante of that time...who probably came out when they were 16...
Well let's put it this way the less you know of Mr Collins the less frightened and disgusted you would be by that particular man :ahha:

Matter of the heart are most delicate ... some find it easier to wear their hearts on their sleeves while others require a lot more privacy...
it all depends on each individual...
but I would think that such deleicate and important matter should be dealt with a lot more care than say exhibited by someone like Lydia.

would it be such a bad thing if you hadn't known the person very well before marriage? yes ...'cause nowdays Divorce is a lot easier to obtain...so it wouls result in far more broken marriages

it must have occured to you at some point or another...william and Lizzy? what if he had proposed and she acepted very early on into the story? :think:

blue.

ferny
08-12-2004, 02:20 PM
I agree with you to a certain extent blue. I think Charlotte was the most practical young woman in the story. Back then married couples would probably spend more time with each other than they would nowadays. They would have to go together to every party or social visit. And they didn't have television to while away time at home. So in a way I think Charlotte's ideas are quite practical. She didn't say that a lady should no nothing about the man. But that she would be content to slowly unravel his character. Perhaps that is why she accepted Mr. Collins propasal so quickly. This way they may become less bored of each other and stay happy in marriage.

william and Lizzy? what if he had proposed and she acepted very early on into the story?

Hmmm good point. What then? Things could have gone terribly wrong. But Wickam is also a case apart. His secrets may have never come out. It is only because he ran away with Lydia that elizabeth realized his true character.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jane Austen presents a number of different women and their differing views on marriage. Charlotte Brontë did not appreciate Pride and Prejudice. She felt that Jane Austen didn't write about her characters' hearts. Do you think Brontë's criticism is accurate? Is Austen's treatment of her characters' feelings superficial? Do they feel and/or express deep emotion?

After Jane becomes engaged to Bingley, she says she wishes Elizabeth could be as happy as she is. Elizabeth replies, "If you were to give me forty such men, I never could be so happy as you. Till I have your disposition, your goodness, I never can have your happiness." Do you think Elizabeth's statement is true? Is it better to be good, to think the best of people, and be happy? Or is it better to see the world accurately, and feel less happiness?

ferny
08-16-2004, 05:27 PM
How is it going people?

I see we are not having any heated debates. Are we still realing from Austen's beautiful words?

Well just wanted to remind you all that we have only half a month left for discussion on Pride and Prejudice. If people are interested we can prolong it or we can get started on our next book at the end of august.

SO..lets have some comments/questions for discussion. Anyone who has read/watched P&P is welcome to join in.

vasan
08-16-2004, 05:39 PM
SOrry.. was busy with some stuff.. Will come back and post a few comments. But I think, we should end the discussion by Aug, and get on with a new book. I think most people have finished the stuff by now..

Vasan

ps: Hows the weather in Athens, Ferns? :wink: I see you have shifted your base to be close to Thorpedo.. :P :P :P

Bluelotus
08-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, I think that Charlotte Bronte was not the only one ... Jane Austen's work wasn't i belive considered to be of the same calibre as that of the Brontes.

the Austen novels are far more light hearted and u do get the feeling sometimes that she doesn't provide as an indepth characterization as Bronte...
but perhaps that is why we do like Austen so much ...
If she was to write nowdays ...Jane austen would most likely be published by Mills and Boons. :wink:
typical plot man-woman meet...seperate ..meet again and live happily
and have you all noticed that Jane Austen never writes abt married life...when she does it is in mockery of the whole establishment
look at the marriage between Mr and Mrs Bennet ( the exception would be Lizzy uncle and aunt ) and that of Mr and Mrs Hurst

blue.

ferny
08-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Halloooo (Do I hear an echo in here ??)

August is nearly over... that means we need to figure out a book to read next month. Now that we are all set for Bride and Prejudice...how about we get ready for Halloween??

Lets shortlist three books and have a vote. Sound good?
I'll enter Four Past Midnight by Stephen King.

Bluelotus
08-26-2004, 03:08 PM
okie Fern ...sounds good :ee:
and having read zilch from stephen king might be good for me too :oops:

is it available online?

blue.

ferny
08-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Not sure if its online blue...I'll try to find an ebook for FPM.

C'mon Geethamites!! Join Geetham Book Club!!

No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting
(Lady Mary Wortley Montagu)

vasan
08-26-2004, 04:53 PM
I don't think King's novels (except the one he published as an Ebook) is online.. Four Past Midnight? whoooofff... scary.. :oops:

I haven't read any of King's either. So it should be ok !! Lets do it, Ferns !!

Vasan

vasan
09-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Four past midnight came and left.. and so did four past mid mornign and midnoon.. now mid-week is also gone..

Where are all the people?!! Oiiiii.... !!!!

Vasan

ps: After King, can we read, Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray?? Kinda want to read it before I see Reese by Nair.. :wink:

ferny
09-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I think you might be right vasan. I couldn't find Mr. King's FPM online.

I'm going to get my own paperback today.

OOoooo I don't think I can make this my bedtime story! Its just scary thinking about the title...Four Past Midnight...Ooooo

P.S Sure we can read Vanity Fair next! It is queued up!

vasan
09-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks daa.. :)

Mee to will find a copy this weekend.. And see what stuff mr. king can cook up?! :wink:

Vasan

Oiii.. ferns.. enna aalaiyee kaanom.. :( we missed ya.. !! Thorpedo's still got a gold.. you should be celebrating.. :wink:

ferny
09-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Did you get your hands on FPM??

I thought about buying my own copy but I was lucky to find one at my local library.
Now the fun starts.....!!!
I read the blurb and that was enough spoook for one day!

Have fun reading the book guys :P

vasan
09-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Hey Ferns,

I haven't gotten my self a copy yet.. :) However, I recently heard from a little robin that it might be available as a pdf.. and we might be able to host it some place.. currently we are working on how to deliver it to all.. :wink:

'Nyways, the traffic this weekend is enough of horror for me.. :P :P :P So, I will start after the weekend.. :)

Its been a looooong loooooong time since I read anything spooky.. let see what mr. king has got.. :wink:

Have a wonderful long weekend..

Vasan

Bluelotus
09-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Here's the Link for a PDF version of the "Four Past Midnight" by Stephen King.

Four Past Midnight (http://www.geocities.com/vasan2001a/gbclub/kings4pm.pdf)

Thanx to Vasan for the link :ee:

btw ppl...this book is actually a collection of four short stories, isn't it?
so can we discuss one at a time? :ee: me finished the first one :ee:
I swear King over did Nick Hopewell :oops: ...I mean come on...the guy is soooo British that he seems fake :Ksp: :ahha:

blue.

vasan
09-06-2004, 06:18 PM
haven't started on it yet.. :oops:

Thanks Blues, for the PDF version. Yeah.. we can discuss it one story after the other.. Four short stories anyways.. :)

Vasan

ferny
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the PDF vasan and blues!! I like how the short stories are bookmarked. I still haven't finished straight up midnight.

Will say more once i've finished the first story.

Ferny

ferny
09-11-2004, 12:00 AM
i'm just about half way into One Past Midnight. I have to admit, that it is not as scary as I thought it would be. It seems more like a mystery novel than a horror at this point. I'm still a little worried about the cereal sound....

I totally agree with you blue. Nick is kinda getting annoying. Actually I think it was about the time when he twisted Mr. Toomy's nose that he got on my nerves. I'm not sure how the british talk but I'm sure they don't say as much 'matey' as Mr. Hopewell does.

I'm getting back to the book...will come back with more :)

vasan
09-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Sorry daa.. I haven't started it yet.. I am gonna do it this weekend.. :) :) Will talk more monday.. :)

You will see a scarrrrrrrry vassaoooannn... :P:P

v-

Bluelotus
09-17-2004, 08:51 AM
so hmmmm are you guys up for the Langoliers :ee: ?

vasan
09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Just done the intro, bluesy.. :00:

was thinking of taking on the 1st pm.. this weekend.. Soooooryyyyyy.. :(

Procrastination.. excusess.. and excuses... :ee:

v-

ps: Have you seen "fools rush in' starring, Salma Hayek & Matthew Perry? One scene, salma will say, 'excuses, excuses' at perry.. You should watch her.. adorable mexican accent and all.. :) Well.. even with out uttering a word, salma is adorable.. :P :P

Bluelotus
09-17-2004, 09:49 PM
thathaaaaaaa ...ungalle enna pannlaam :think: if you don't read it ...I might send the pixies after you :wink:

nope haven't seen that movie...might check it out one day...mind you perry is never going to be froggy du jour :ahha:

blue.

vasan
09-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh.. Lotus-uu.. (thats how they would say your name in hyderabad.. ).. :P

I got bugged reading from the pdf version.. So went and bought myself a copy.. :) Tell me where are you.. I will race and catch up.. :)

The book seems pretty promising.. looks like friday night is gonna be scary.. :) (and pathetic, to curl with with 4PM and read it !! on a Friday Night !! Eshaa.... where are you.. :P )...

v-

will be done with first part by tomorrow, BlueBird.. We shall have some 'frightening' words on monday.. :P

ferny
09-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Scary fridays are the best time for horrors!! :P

I'm about 20 pages from the end of 1PM. Honestly, I haven't really been spooked yet. I hope Kings isn't overrated. Well I guess there are still 20 more pages for him to spook me.

Have fun reading guys :P

Ferny

vasan
09-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Hiyaa.. Even dear old Ferns is not done..

Ferns.. Its school zone.. GO SLOW>>>> :P :P I gotta catch with you guys.. :ee:

Will be there on monday.. assured.. :)

v-

ps: Oii.. don't remove the pic from Gain Brain... I haven't looked at it really well yet.. :oops: Thanks, daa.. :P

raghu
09-20-2004, 02:44 PM
all the 3 books r good in its own way,but the romantic.........light one pride and prejudice gets my vote

ferny
09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi raghu!

Welcome to geetham! Nice to see you interested in the book club.

We try to read a book everymonth. The poll was actually for the Month of august. For September, we are reading Four Past Midnight. You are welcome to join in and discuss the book as we read. There is a PDF link for the book as well.

Ferny :)

ferny
09-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Finally finally...

I finished 1PM interestingly at 1 past midnight last night :P It was a little wierd when I put the book down and looked at the clock. I had to go around the house and make sure everyone was still here with me.

Overall, I thought the plot was plausible and there was enough 'horror' I guess. I felt the characters were a little too sterotypical to really connect with them. I have to say that I was expecting more of a spook from Mr. King.

Anyhooo maybe the other three stories will be better. Okies of to read 2PM.

Ferny

vasan
09-22-2004, 01:11 AM
I didn't realize it would go kinda sloooooowwww.. :oops:

I am still stuck some where on Da Plane.. :wink: Haven't vanished yet.. :P

Will try to catch up to you ferns..

v-

dinesh
09-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I have just started reading this :(

Anyway, I have a suggestion for October "The DaVinci Code" by "Dan Brown". Has loads of "debatable" potential ;)

vasan
09-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah.. :) :)

That it does.. I mean debatable potential.. :P :P

v-

Bluelotus
09-24-2004, 10:45 PM
I really liked the way we're kept on tenderhooks abt the langoliers or the unknown danger...we never know what to expect till the last moment ....

dudes!! :ahha: sure whatever next ..but lets try to finish this one first :wink:

ferny
09-25-2004, 12:45 AM
I dunno blue...I didn't find it suspensful at all. I mean there was some mystery but its not what I imagined a hair-raising horror to be.

Dinesh!! Take your time...we are all pretty slow with the book. Tell us how you like it so far. I was wanting to read all about the 'da vinci code' too. Is it only in hardcover? I can't seem to find a paperback. Its pretty heavy too. I believe vasan already picked 'Vanity Fair' for October. How does November sound for the daVinci code.

Oii Vasan have you met the langoliers yet? :wink:

vasan
09-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Oii Vasan have you met the langoliers yet?

Just started refuelling.. But my weekend is shot to pieces anyways.. so I will be done with Langoliers this weekend, and should start on Secret Window..

Did you guys know there is a movie on that book? Starring Johnny Depp..

Now.. noww.. girls.. stop whistling.. :wink:

v-

dinesh
09-26-2004, 02:17 PM
I was wanting to read all about the 'da vinci code' too. Is it only in hardcover? I can't seem to find a paperback. Its pretty heavy too. I believe vasan already picked 'Vanity Fair' for October. How does November sound for the daVinci code.

It is available in paperback here in the UK. And I think you can get ebooks as well. November is great!

ferny
10-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Hello fellow book worms :P

How is the view from the secret window??

I have to admit...I haven't made much progress. Now that October is already here...do you want to continue with Two Past Midnight or go on to the next book which is Vanity Fair? I hear Vanity Fair is a pretty big book. Do we want to give that book more reading time?

Ferny

P.S Thanks for the info Dinesh. I'll try looking for the e-book. So far I have found only hardcover in Canada.

vasan
10-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Ah hoy.. Bookiees.. :P :P (Not a flattering name is it? :ahha: )

I am still peering through the window.. :oops: Can we post pone Vanity Fair until we are done with 4PM, please folks.. :( say, keep Oct as the new Sept, :wink: and continue until then..

Its all because of Sept.. If only it had 31 days, I would have finished it.. :ahha:

v-

ps: Has any one read Princess September, by Somerset Maugham? Short story.. :P

Bluelotus
10-08-2004, 10:22 PM
hmmm :oops: me neither...read only 3 out of the four...
have not read the short story ....
maybe short stories are the key to the future :ee: just kidding....

perhaps starting vanity fair while trying to finish 4 past 00:00 might be a good idea.....and I think I will go get a copy of the book this time...ebooks are annoying :oops:

could I make a suggestion for another month... " the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" ?

vasan
10-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Did we finish the 4PM ?? :00: :00:

Where are all our faithfuls.. :Ksp: Ferns?? DeepBlue? SuMO??

hmm.. wondering what happened..

v-

Bluelotus
10-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I don't like that book very much :(
it's painful to read...so boring at times... :ee: still have last story to go :ahha:
I hate the one in the library...eeek I mean seriously weird...I like vampires...but this was yucky :snooty:
not very literary mood today :sm12:

will do my best to finish reading it by weekend...got myself a copy of vanity fair :wink: so will start on that one too

I think I liked the first short story best :think:

ferny
11-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Oops November is here already and I still haven't go my act together.

I know its not a great excuse but I just got too busy to read 4PM. I could have read all of it if the book was motivating. I have to say, King disappointed me.

If all say yes, should we move on to Vanity Fair?

Ferny

goodcomplanboy
11-06-2004, 08:12 PM
oops Ferny. Enga poi iruntheenga, ivalavu naala :00:

Bluelotus
11-07-2004, 12:13 AM
read chapter one already :wink: Fernsy :ee:
vanity fair is bound to be better than 4past midnight :ahha:
(could you edit the title?)

I really cannot make myself finish the last short story...that book should be burned :evil:
although some interesting ideas....specially the langoliers and the schizophrenic dude...but that's abt it ....other wise yuck yuck yuck

GCB,
are you joining our reading group ? please do :D

blue.

vasan
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I really cannot make myself finish the last short story...that book should be burned :evil:

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Oh.. man the last story is sooo cool.. :wink:

Just like Ferns, I had to shelve it to get some tech reading done.. My school is killing mee... (I don't know how gymnastics keeps Nadia Ferns this busy though.. :think: World Gymnastics coming up, or what?) :ee:

On ward to Vanity Fair..

Vasan

sathy
11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" lead character is based on his other novel "Angels & Demons". I suggest reading "Angels & Demons" before "The Da Vinci Code". I was not that much of a reader but once started reading "Angels & Demons" unable to put the book down. Its a perfect thriller/mystery/drama/suspense with an unbelievable ending. Happy reading!
Now reading "The Da Vinci Code" :D

ferny
01-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Sathy, I have not read 'Angels & Demons' but I will put it on my 'To read list'. I just got my hands on a copy of 'The Da Vinci Code'. The book was practically flying off the shelves this holiday season. I'm kind of anxious to see what all the noise is about.

A big apology goes out to all the members of the reading group. I am truly sorry that I couldn't keep the conversation going on Vanity Fair. Actually I am more sorry that I couldn't read it. Too many other textbooks to read....:(

I will have loads of time Jan-Feb. So... who has read 'Vanity Fair'? I'm kind of anxious to read 'The Da Vinci Code'. So if I don't hear tremendous outcry...I'm going to make it the book for January.

I would be delighted if other geethamites would join me in reading 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown.

-Ferns

vasan
01-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Haven't read Vanity Fair (:oops:).. I blame it on my coordinator.. she was not around to push us.. :P :P :P

Don't mind reading Da Vinci Code.. :P Gotta get a copy first, Ferns.. :P Ifyou could please wait a few days (or you could start and I could catch up.. :wink:)..

v-

Bluelotus
01-11-2005, 05:20 AM
well I'm half way through vanity fair and already began da vinci code :oops: but no more reading tilll feb

I do have a pdf file of the new book if any one wants it...shout please.

happy reading :b:

blue.

PS: can't we just watch the movie :ee: ..just kidding :ahha:

vasan
01-11-2005, 05:30 AM

kiddo.. pdf of da vinci code?? may I, please?

thanks!

v-

Narayana
01-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm hereee. the all time book worm.... I blame myself for not finding this thread all this time.... Well anyway i hate Stephen king so it doesnt matter as it seems u all were reading his 4PM...once i read one of his books called Dolores something or the other. was a stupid waste of time...

Read Da Vinci Code one month back. Really controversial book. Nice one tho... Another thing geethamites... any book, any thing new / old is available on the internet, only that you should know where to look for it...

I like sci-fi and fantasy mainly : Crichton, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, Roger Zelazny, Tolkien's Lord of the rings , J.K.Rowling's Harry Potter , ....
Classics of Mark twain, R.L.Stevenson... etc too. Also Conan Doyle's works....

From now on, I too hav joined Book Club!!
--N

Narayana
01-28-2005, 05:04 PM
One suggestion.... THere's an ebook reading software called ybook downloadable here (http://www.spacejock.com/yBook.html).
Its nice and easier to read books with that, less strain etc... Only doc / html / txt files can be read using this, not pdf. but most of the buks from Gutenberg are in those formats. So give it a try... its free too.
--N

P.S>> Forgot... I AM A POTTER MANIAC!!!!!!!

Bluelotus
01-29-2005, 02:17 AM
--N

super!!

btw have you read "Vanity Fair"??

while we murder the Da Vinci Code how about you read that one? so we can actually talk about both books by the end of feb :wink: :wink:

blue.

Narayana
01-29-2005, 06:12 AM
nope never even heard of vanity fair... :D will try to get that buk...
--N

Narayana
01-30-2005, 05:32 AM
eeeek! How do ppl ever read such books? I read VFair 1 chapter... nearly fell asleep reading.. Books need to gripping from the 1st page itself for me.... look at da vinci code... murder in the first chapter itsef.... (Obviously I dont like Agatha Christie and King and tjose books which drag on... Infact I dont like books that portray real world... i like fantasy, unreal themes lik magic/time-space warps :ee: ) I dont think i'll ever finish vanity fair .... :D
--N

Bluelotus
01-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Narayana
(can I call you Naz :think: ? )

don't give up just yet...seriously keep at it.
Try to get past the first 5 chapters at least :wink:

come on isn't the whole point of joining a book club to experience new genres? :wink:
after all it is a novel without a hero and set during the Napoleonic wars...just give it one more try and do your best to pass the fifth chapter.

:ee:

blue.

vasan
01-31-2005, 03:37 AM
murder in the first chapter itsef

Narayana.. :P :P :P

Thrillers aren't the only type of novels worth reading.. :Ksp: Seems like its easy to please you though: Murder she wrote.. :P :P Its flying.. :P

Try Vanity Fair.. you might like it yet.. :P :P

v-

Narayana
01-31-2005, 12:37 PM
ok., i've time till feb end.... but the thing is, if I like a book, i'll read it in 2 or 3 sittings... at a stretch... so will try again.. exms next week..
--N

goodcomplanboy
02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
well I'm half way through vanity fair and already began da vinci code but no more reading tilll feb

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:ee: oru chinna shout thaan.

I have been searching for this book for a long long time. Infact, almost bought this one last week. Can you pass it along bluey.

Thanks,
GCB

vasan
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
eppadi-kudukka, GCB? Bleu sent me the file.. i've got it too.. (illai Bleu'in por-karangalil thaan vanganummnaalum okie thaan.. :wink:)

v-

silican
02-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I just dont want to buy that book as I have been seeing it with almost everyone for the past few months. Kindly Send me one ebook please. That way I can stay away from the rest of the Dan brown fan crowd :ee:

- Silican

vasan
02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Silix, & GCB,

Send a pm to Bleu (or me with your email id).. we can forward it to you..

v-

Bluelotus
02-03-2005, 01:03 AM
you may of course PM thattha or me with your email Ids we promise not to spam you :ee: :ahha:

or
click on link below :wink:

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17C7AA7GO9X9T2VNL5M0 OVKPA0

have fun!

blue

vasan
02-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Bleukutti has cracked the Da Vinci Code.. :wink:

vennunnaa pudichikonga.. :P

Danke Schoen Fraulein.. :sm08:

v-

goodcomplanboy
02-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Somehow the link is not working. I have pm'd you my mail ID :)

Ippothaikku kadamai azhaikindrathaal, ithudan ungalidamirunthu vidai peruvthu ungal abhimana

B

CB

GCB

vartaaa (Rajini style'le padikkavum :ee:)

Priyanka
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
well I'm half way through vanity fair and already began da vinci code but no more reading tilll feb

ஆஆஆஆ.....ஆஆஆஆ
ஆஆஆஆ.....ஆஆஆஆ
ஆஆஆஆ.....ஆஆஆஆ
ஆஆஆஆ.....ஆஆஆஆ

I want the book. The link you gave is not working. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

silican
02-03-2005, 07:16 PM
I got the Book from Vasan last night. Not a bad start though. :ahha:

I shall give the links today evening, if you dont get a copy.

- Silix

coolian
02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Read the book quite a while back. Wonderful book, though I found the ending a BIT anti-climatic...oh well, fiction is fiction...

Priyanka
02-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Just now started reading the book. Seems to be interesting,

Thanx for suggesting this book.

goodcomplanboy
02-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Finished 18 chapters yesterday. This is more of a criminal investigation kind of book. Pretty interesting to know "The Way"s of Opus Dei. I did some research on the same and it looks like most of them are true. Even the existence of ODAN.

Priyanka
02-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Aiiyaiyooo! Marandhee poitten. :doh: Finished 18 chptrs? I have finished only 3 chapters. :(

Shy
02-10-2005, 05:32 PM
This is a good one.. read it long back ..padingo padingo..

Me eppo perfect husband padichutu irukaen :)

Shy

goodcomplanboy
02-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Aiiyaiyooo! Marandhee poitten. :doh: Finished 18 chptrs? I have finished only 3 chapters. :(

I am already on the 68th chapter :ee:

goodcomplanboy
02-11-2005, 04:38 AM
Just crossed the chapter 71 and man how intelligent our ancestors were.

Great!!! (Codex Leicester) I couldnt have deciphered the text at all. Even though it resembles english, I guess it would have taken me days to decipher it :00:

Priyanka
02-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes GCB! Quite true. I never ever imagined that it would be English.

Romba nallaa irundhicchi novel. Mudivu romba nallaa irundhudhu. Novel-la vara anagram ellaam super-a irundhudhu.

Thanks to the novel I came to know about Leonardo's paintings. Munna ellaam enakku Monalisa mattum thaan theriyum. This guy was really a genius. Ennamaa paint pannirukkaaru. :clap:

And about the Holy Grail, is it merely a fiction illainna nejamaave appadi oru belief irukkaa? How come Christians did not protest against this novel? Sorry guys! Did not mean to hurt you in any way. :pray: But am quite curious about it. Google-la search panni parthen. Uruppadiyaa oru thagavalum kidaikkalai. Might be Vasan can say something about this. :pray:

Aana enna thaan irundhaalum book-la padikkara effect varalai.

vasan
02-17-2005, 12:25 AM
And about the Holy Grail, is it merely a fiction illainna nejamaave appadi oru belief irukkaa? How come Christians did not protest against this novel? Sorry guys! Did not mean to hurt you in any way. But am quite curious about it. Google-la search panni parthen. Uruppadiyaa oru thagavalum kidaikkalai. Might be Vasan can say something about this.

No such thing as a Holy Grail, Priyanka. (Indeed, when something is tantalizingly possible, and yet not true or can't happen, we call it holygrail... :) for example, graduation is like holy grail... keep searching, never ending.. :P )..

Why should christians protest against this novel? Its just some story... (Not that christians had not protested before, but this one is a good novel, rather than a slanderous publication.. )..

v-

ashokcsn_2000
02-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Hey if anyone looking for the da Vanici Code... Dan Brown...

here (http://www.geocities.com/ashokcsn_2000/daVinci.pdf)

enjoy :b:

ashokcsn_2000
02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
The book centers around the facts surrounding leonardo's paintings... How can we authenticate the information provided by Leonardo... ? :think:

Priyanka
02-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Ashok. Onnu sonnaa thappaa edutthukka maatteengale! Dhayavusenju unga avatar-ai konjam maatthungalen. Pakkaratthukke oru maadiri aruvaruppaa irukku. :?

And Vasan, thanks for your information. :b:

Priyanka
02-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Does anybody have "Pride and Prejudice" novel? Can you share it with me please. :pray: The link that Ferny gave at the beginning is not working.

Eppavo school days-la padicchathu. Kathai marandhu pocchu. :oops: Longing to read it once again.

Bluelotus
02-17-2005, 03:54 AM
PK,

read it online:
http://www.literaturepage.com/read/

Priyanka
02-17-2005, 04:00 AM
Wow! Huge collection of books! Goodu goodu. Thanks Blues. :sm03:

Just now I have started reading 'Great Expectations'.

coolian
02-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Anyone read the play "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde? Read it here (http://www.hoboes.com/html/FireBlade/Wilde/earnest/) if you need to lighten up your day :ee:.

silican
02-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Phew
Atlast :b: Started reading yesterday. Just completed 82 Chapters. its 1:00 AM and im aaaawwwwwwww.....So far so good. I like Dan Brown's flow. Not so wavery.

Will come back once Im done.

- Silix

Narayana
02-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Ashok. Onnu sonnaa thappaa edutthukka maatteengale! Dhayavusenju unga avatar-ai konjam maatthungalen. Pakkaratthukke oru maadiri aruvaruppaa irukku. Confused
Superb avatar!! very good. i like it. :ee:
Of course we cant believe leonardo's paintings, but it can be either way. tht depends on how ppl want to believe. noone will ever know the truth.
---N

coolian
02-17-2005, 06:20 AM
The movie better not do any injustice to the book...

Priyanka
02-17-2005, 06:24 AM
The movie better not do any injustice to the book...

What movie?

coolian
02-17-2005, 06:58 AM
da vinci code

goodcomplanboy
02-17-2005, 02:41 PM
oh! Was there a movie. I never knew it.

I like the way, Dan Brown takes the story till the end. Even though it was a tame finish (cant finish it, if he does, he has to prove the exisitence of Holy Grail).

Well PK, the story is mostly taken from the paintings of Leonardo. Poor guy, who knows what he meant, only he knows the true meaning of the Mona Lisa smile and the Vitruvian Man he drew. Its like this PK, I just scribble in the sand and different people come up with different stories, and this is exactly the same.

Bluelotus
02-17-2005, 06:04 PM
the movie "da vinci code" is being filmed or will begin soon :ahha:

(Read the importance of being ernest...so the play too...yup great fun :b: )

rsivaraman
02-17-2005, 06:14 PM
yeah the movie will be released in 2006, with tom hanks as robert langdon and
audrey tautou (Amelie) as sophie. it is going to be good.

Have anyone of you read, The Mill on the Floss by george elliot, it is one of my favorite classics. :P

siva

Narayana
02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
The only thing i dont like with Dan Brown is the way he jumps around the story. Many writersd have that style, but it kinda jerks u back to the fact that it is a story.... I like long continuos epics... keeps u immersed in the book...
--N

dinesh
02-27-2005, 08:55 PM
A very well written book.......but that is just the writing style. The plot itself would not have stood without the natural excitement generated by the subject matter nor the historic details and occurences detailed in the book were proved in any way. I found it an interesting read nevertheless. And the book inspired me to go and research about all the historic events detailed, and I believe that has happened to many people. In that aspect I believe the book has succeeded.

Priyanka
02-28-2005, 12:22 AM
A very well written book.......but that is just the writing style. The plot itself would not have stood without the natural excitement generated by the subject matter nor the historic details and occurences detailed in the book were proved in any way. I found it an interesting read nevertheless. And the book inspired me to go and research about all the historic events detailed, and I believe that has happened to many people. In that aspect I believe the book has succeeded.

:yes: :yes: Same pinch don't pinch me back.

goodcomplanboy
03-07-2005, 01:41 AM
any books for March :think:

Anyone got the The Da Vinci Deception by Erwin W. Lutzer?

ferny
04-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Time to revive this thread again.

I finished the Da Vinci Code and am still trying to figure out where I put Vanity Fair. Obviously I can't comment on VF but i found DVC a good read. He has the right mix of history, the 'cop-robber' chase thrill, the 'who-dun-it' suspense with a little blasphemy thrown in. I don't think the hype was really worth it though.

I'm not very religious but I did feel wierd at church the next Sunday knowing I was praying to the Sun god instead. I can sort of see why some christians would be offended. Its hard to know where he was giving you the facts and where he was making it up. So was he getting away with more that way?

AWeSOme Narayana!! (soo is Naz ok??) We can never have to many PM's (Potter Maniacs!). I would like to re-read a few this year.

any books for March

Any books for May??

What say you folks? Any suggestions? or should we fall back on the list?

Ferns

vasan
04-21-2005, 05:35 AM
Did any one read the Life of Pi? I know bleu had penciled in this for reading sometime.. but, if she has not started we could try..

Or (re)read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.. :wink: Movie is out or coming out soon.. so it would be fun to read the book and pick on the director.. :sm12: :sm12:

What say? Interested in some 'weird' sci-fi?

Or how about Chitra Divakarunai's Mistress of Spices? :wink:

let me know.. :ee:

v-

rsivaraman
04-21-2005, 05:40 AM
How about Brave new world by Aldous Huxley
or Roots by alex hailey.
:D :D
both of them are real good, esp the former is a must read.

-Siva

Priyanka
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
How about reading english rhymes like "Baba blacksheep" and "Twinkle twinkle little star"? :sm12: :wink:

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 01:22 PM
How about reading english rhymes like "Baba blacksheep" and "Twinkle twinkle little star"?

லொள்ளு தானே. உங்களெ அப்புரமா கவனிச்சிக் கிறேன்.

"Mistress of Spices" or the "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy", or anything else. Doesnt really matter, as long as you ppl give me a soft copy to read it :) I am eagerly awaiting for the next read. Been quite somedays since I read some book.

Priyanka
04-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Doesnt really matter, as long as you ppl give me a soft copy to read it

Irukkavee irukkaanga namma blue. :D Neenga ethukku kavalai padreenga. Ellaam avanga parthuppaanga. :wink:

ferny
04-21-2005, 02:07 PM
ooo ooo I've never read Hitchhikers. I'll second that!

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 02:28 PM

I third that :ee:

Priyanka
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM

I third that :ee:

And I fourth that. :ee:

ferny
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
And I fourth that

:sm12: :sm12:

Lets see how many more we get! :ee:

Narayana
04-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I have already read Hitchhikes guide, restaurant at the end of uni:,.. all the five books. Life of Pi is a bit horrrible i heard. like one boy eating shoes and all, yuck! but booker prize irukke. venum naa vayikkalam.
Has any1 read The MYST?? based on a game called MYST.?
--N

ferny
04-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Has any1 read The MYST?? based on a game called MYST.?

Played the game...didn't know there was a book too. I shoula guessed in this commercial age every game is accomapanied by a movie or book based on the same thing.

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
MYST

Is this one of the strategy computer games??? Never have played it before.

Ok mudiva enna solreenga, enna book padikalaam :think:

Priyanka
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Naan sonnathu thaan best idea. "Baba blacksheep" "Twinkle twinkle little star" ithellaam padicchaa sema interesting-aa irukkum. :ee:

Hey ferny! How is my idea? :wink:

ferny
04-21-2005, 05:18 PM
But I know baba blacksheep by heart. I memorised Twinkle Twinkle in first grade. Reading it would be enjoyable I guess...

I say you should work up a sema interesting story behind baba blacksheep and why he has only three bags full and who is that mysterious boy who lives down the lane...then we can have a sema good discussion...what say you priyanka?

Priyanka
04-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Nalla idea thaan. :ee: Naan venaa appadi oru novel ezhudhattumaa? :ee:

rsivaraman
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
say you should work up a sema interesting story behind baba blacksheep and why he has only three bags full and who is that mysterious boy who lives down the lane...then we can have a sema good discussion...what say you priyanka?

:lol: :lol:

movie name : who's the black sheep??

have not read the Hitchhikers guide. but you guys should give Brave New world a try if you have not already done so. it was one of the best science fictions wrote in the 1930s

-Siva

vasan
04-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I've gotta soft-copy of HitchHiker's. Could upload it somewhere or send it via email. Less than 1 mb..

If we are starting on that, and if you need a copy let me know. :wink:

So, Missie Coordinator (Ferns! :P), let us knowwww...

v- :wink:

vasan
04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
have not read the Hitchhikers guide. but you guys should give Brave New world a try if you have not already done so. it was one of the best science fictions wrote in the 1930s

-Siva

Sure we can queue it up, Siva. If not this month, it could be the next month read.. :wink:

Vasan

ps: Whats after that, 1984? :P :P

ferny
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Well I don't hear any strong objections so... lets hitch a ride through the galaxy :)

I would love it if you could send us the soft copy vasan! :sm03: thankies

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I've gotta soft-copy of HitchHiker's. Could upload it somewhere or send it via email. Less than 1 mb..

If we are starting on that, and if you need a copy let me know.

So, Missie Coordinator (Ferns! ), let us knowwww...

Sounds kewl V. You have my email ID right :ee: can you pass it on. Thanks :sm03:

rsivaraman
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM

-Siva

Sure we can queue it up, Siva. If not this month, it could be the next month read.. :wink:

Vasan

ps: Whats after that, 1984? :P :Pthanks vasan avvargale. the thing about this book was even though it was written in 1930 , he talks about genetic engineering and cloing, so close to what we see in this modern world.
I read 1984 first then tried brave new world. the latter is much better.

-Siva

vasan
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Latest by this evening.. :wink:

Gotta find a place to put it up.. :think: We will see..

Ferns, could you please change the FIRST post in this thread and the topic title to read as Hitchhikers.. right now it goes as Da Vinci Club. Once I upload the book, I will put the links here..

Thank you, Missie.. :sm08:

Vasan

vasan
04-21-2005, 06:14 PM
thanks vasan avvargale. the thing about this book was even though it was written in 1930 , he talks about genetic engineering and cloing, so close to what we see in this modern world.
I read 1984 first then tried brave new world. the latter is much better.

-Siva

Padichirukken, Siva. Rendumey... :wink:

Huxley padikkaame eppadi.. Revisited-mm padichu irukken. Good fun.

Vasan

ps: GCB.. Done. Check your email.

rsivaraman
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM
vasan ennakum hitchhikers guide vennume can you give it to me too :D

-Siva

vasan
04-21-2005, 06:27 PM
People,

Please download it from here. Right click and save as:

Hitchhikers - Grab your towels here (http://www.geocities.com/vasan2001a/Hitchhikers/Hitchhikers.pdf)

Danke Schoen.. :sm03:

v-

Onnum illa.. chummaa Viji style-la ezhuthi paarthen.. :P BTW, its an Yahoo-Geocities Link. If it doesn't load up let me know. Thanks.

ns80
04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Grabbed v-'s ;) copy from geocities. just uploaded in an alternate server (http://thefilebin.com/userfiles/narayanan/book/Hitchhikers.pdf) just in case you aren't able to grab from the previous one :D.

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 07:52 PM
thanks a lot V-. I guess, I will start the book this evening (gotta go home to get my towel :wink: )

goodcomplanboy
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
wrong post. Delete pleech :ee:

Bluelotus
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
hitch hickers guide ...kewl :ee:

blue

ferny
04-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Awesome!! Thanks vasan!

Off on the guided tour....

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey V, thanks dude. That was an extremely wild imagination, the story, and written in an ultimately hilarious way. I am in the 57th page, and I have been laughing all the way. The "improbability drive" cracks me up whenever I think about it.

Well, most of it does not really makes much sense scientifically. But it is too good to read. Will write more as I read more.

Narayana
04-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Try this link friends... http://webbooks.webpark.sk/
--N

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
In page 82 now. Dont know what to say. The riches of imaginations I have never, and could not have ever possibly dreamt of. For a sample: "You see, Earthman, they (mice) really are particularly clever hyperintelligent pan-dimensional beings. Your planet and people have formed the matrix of an organic computer running a ten-million-year research programme…"

"These creatures you call mice, you see, they are not quite as they appear. They are merely the protrusion into our dimension of vast hyperintelligent pan-dimensional beings. The whole business with the cheese and the squeaking is just a front.”

Wow. A good read. Should get hold of the movie too.

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Try this link friends... http://webbooks.webpark.sk/
--N

Thanks N. That looks interesting. Should make my boring times up.

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey, I did not know Douglas is a famous sci-fi writer. Isn't he just an actor? Hm. Interesting how things happen one after another in life. ("Life is so sweet" -- Calvin)

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, final comments to the HHGG first part, or the part that Vasan gave as a soft copy here. I just finished reading it, and the end is not as good as the start. Infact, it ends in a preposturous way. I would not look at this novel as a science fiction, well, not even close to it, but it is a funny story. Douglas is making fun of everything in science, almost everything in Physics.

vasan
04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey Prasanna !

rrr.. Usually we take a book a month and go at a slower pace.. :Ksp: :Ksp: But I am glad you raced ahead and had good fun.. :P

The end is kinda a let down, huh? I know.. Read it before once.. :P But its a series. You might want to continue with the Restaurent at the end of the universe.

~~~~~

Thanks Naryana for the Link... :sm08:

This is another good place to go hunting.. http://www.greylib.align.ru/
the page is in russian. but click on any of the links at the top toolbar-sorta thing. and it opens up sections and the titles are in english. the books are in english too. Hitchhikers was pulled off from this page, but converted in to a handy pdf by me for ease of reading.

How is the journey, other fellow travellers? :wink: me is still packing.. :P

v-

rsivaraman
04-22-2005, 04:19 PM
thanks for the book Vasan. I think this will be an interesting read, after seeing all the comments on this page. weekend plan decided.

-Siva

vasan
04-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey, I did not know Douglas is a famous sci-fi writer. Isn't he just an actor? Hm. Interesting how things happen one after another in life. ("Life is so sweet" -- Calvin)

What?????

Douglas Adams was a writer. Thats it. Funny, wildly imaginative and all that.. but he wasn't ever an actor. Are you confusing Michael Douglas with Douglas Adams? :Ksp:

Here is his little Bio
http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/bio.html
http://www.douglasadams.com/

Here is some more fun stuff with h2g2 (hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy)... A page from BBC, the place where the original TV and radio broadcasts were made..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/

Have fun people..

v-

vasan
04-22-2005, 04:22 PM
BTW, the idea for Wikipedia is so much like hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.. Read h2g2 website, you will know.. :wink:

v-

prasan8181
04-22-2005, 06:00 PM

What?????

Douglas Adams was a writer. Thats it. Funny, wildly imaginative and all that.. but he wasn't ever an actor. Are you confusing Michael Douglas with Douglas Adams? :Ksp:

Here is his little Bio
http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/bio.html
http://www.douglasadams.com/

Here is some more fun stuff with h2g2 (hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy)... A page from BBC, the place where the original TV and radio broadcasts were made..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/

Have fun people..

v-

Yes sir. I guess I got confused. Looks like I have to know full names of Hollywood actors to avoid the confusion. Thanks for clearing it up. Will look into that h2g2 page.

Narayana
04-24-2005, 01:59 AM
This is another good place to go hunting.. http://www.greylib.align.ru/
excellent site. i opened the site using babelfish and got translated from russian to english... Thanks.
--N

Priyanka
04-24-2005, 04:37 AM

If we are starting on that, and if you need a copy let me know. :wink:

So, Missie Coordinator (Ferns! :P), let us knowwww...

v- :wink:

Enakkum venum Vasan. :oops: Enakkum anuppi vaiyungo please, if you don't mind. :pray:

ns80
04-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Enakkum venum Vasan.

page 5, 2nd last post in the page.

ferns, can you update the book link as well in the first post :D.

Bluelotus
05-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Time for a New Book?

How about:

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/4008/lifeofpi9re.th.jpg
http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3R6HXYBTGJ9IS0Y7NO82 MK8F72

or

The Catcher in the Rye by Jerome David Salinger
http://img48.echo.cx/img48/9628/catcherintherye2gc.th.jpg
http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2307U2CA5YNTO1MO65V7 A64NQM

or perhaps some other book?make your choice for June please.

blue.

rsivaraman
05-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Life of Pi is pretty good

don't know about Catcher in the rye..all I remember about it is that Mel gibson has a lot of copies of it in the movie Conspiracy theory.. :think: :think:

-Siva

Narayana
05-31-2005, 03:08 PM
havnt heard the second one.. I'll go for Life of Pi. Currently i'm reading Train to pakistan by Khuswant Singh.
--N

Bluelotus
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
so hmm do you all want to read "life of pi" or some other book, for June? :think:

blue.

goodcomplanboy
06-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I have'nt started with last month's book itself :doh:

Got to read atleast this month's.

tinker
07-13-2007, 10:52 PM
A good thread ... should we restart this book club ? ....

Shy
07-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Why not you all get Harry potter fever now ;) and join me to wait for the deathly hollows :ee:

Shy

scjpjk
07-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Anyone who has read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows please confirm if this is the original version

http://www.mediafire.com/?dkdigxqggsz

Jayakrishnan