PDA

View Full Version : Bandh, Strike... Do we need them!!!!!!

RaasuKutty
07-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I was going thru rediff news.. saw an interesting judgement where in Bombay High Court fined BJP and Shivsena Rs. 20 Lakhs each for announcing a Bandh on July 30th 2003..

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/jul/24bandh.htm

How do you consider such a judgement? Do you feel that this judgement might hurt our democracy, depriving political parties/workers of right to express their anguish over any issue??? (OR) Are we marching towards a better system wherein interruption of services and damage/loss to govt are considered more seriously than ever before????

On one side, We have seen lot of bandhs in all corners of our country and we feel most of the strikes/bandh to be more of an irritant rather than a voice for rights... There has been damages to govt properties, total/partial non-availability of services to common man for an unworthy cause...

On the contrary, they have fetched fruitful results too in some cases... and by depriving this right, we are not providing an alternative for these ppl to raise their concerns... And finally as such there has been no right/previlage that has not been mis-used in our country.. So why stop this???

Share your opinion guyz...

luv
...RK

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 12:24 AM
I agree with the judgement. If you want to protest, there are 1000 ways without disturbing/damaging the public like black flags.

vasan
07-24-2004, 12:54 AM
I agree with the judgement. If you want to protest, there are 1000 ways without disturbing/damaging the public like black flags.

Like what? And the dear Goverment, run by service minded, people listening, democratic, corruptionless saints will sit down and take notice? Any one who says this is the method, should also make sure that such a thing actually works... !!

Impose fines when the Govt itself calls for such bandh. Ms. Jayalalitha has called for such bandhs several times - when she is the Chief minister. Where as a poor - has no other go worker cannot express and demand that his needs are met??

I think the court is throwing away what is constitutionally protected - if occasionally or often abused - fundamental right of people in a democracy... It should be opposed by all means. Judicial interference on governance is a terrible thing. They cannot make laws - they can only judge if the laws are followed according to the written constitution.

Vasan

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 01:04 AM
I disagree with you, my dear Vasan.

If the protestors want to make it a point by raising the black flags, the press will do their duty to give proper coverage. Bandh is nothing but a popularity contest between the policatical parties. Same contest can be played with the showing off of the black flag too. If it does not work for the certain party, too bad. For that, you cannot burn the bus, shops, roads and what not?

In mu humble opinion, we in India oversee democracy and in turn get burnt by it (politicians). It is like the freedom, right. You are free to do whatever you want unless....

Samething applies here too...

vasan
07-24-2004, 01:18 AM
If the protestors want to make it a point by raising the black flags, the press will do their duty to give proper coverage. Bandh is nothing but a popularity contest between the policatical parties. Same contest can be played with the showing off of the black flag too. If it does not work for the certain party, too bad. For that, you cannot burn the bus, shops, roads and what not?

And I disagree with you, dear sir ! :P

If it is a serious grievance, people have to protest it. And in any democratic society, refusing to work is an accepted form of protest. Heck, we invented it.. !

Whole scale interference of judicial system in banning call for bandh is therefore plainly denying the right of people to protest. If Govt increases say some price on essential commodity (milk, electricity etc!) for apparently no reason, what is a public supposed to do?

Bandh might be used as a popularity contest between parties - presently. That is an abuse. And such abuses cannot be helped in a democratic society. Because by making laws to prevent it, we spoil what we protect - the democracy and the right of individuals. The sensible people who oppose such bandhs always have the option of throwing away the democratic party that causes such disruption..

And bandh is nothing to do with burning buses and breaking windows. That is illegal, and govt, police and public need to take action against it. I am not for destroying public and private property no matter what the provocation is. That should be safeguarded. But refusal to work, and going on a hunger strike for example, cannot be banned - or rather should be protected.

Its a sad state of affairs that the Govts and parties that supposed to govern indulge in such 'no-work' strikes, which is meant for common people to express their anguish. Its a shame that what was originally meant as a peaceful protest has now marred with violence and destruction. And yet, it would be dangerous for the judiciary to indulge in throwing away the fundamental right of protesting against grievance for the common man.

vasan

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 02:17 AM
Again I disagree but only to certain points.

I will support it if you want to do hunger strike as a protest OR refusal to work WITHOUT PAY is also OK for me (eventhough the essential should not be disturbed).

If you dont agree with me, just tell me why cant our armymen protest a government decision by refusing to work during a war or a security men refuse to cover the PM/CM as a protest..... same freedon, right?????

RaasuKutty
07-24-2004, 03:07 AM
I will support it if you want to do hunger strike as a protest OR refusal to work WITHOUT PAY is also OK for me (eventhough the essential should not be disturbed).

Goks,

Essential services are indeed left undisturbed on bandh... Police/Armed forces do fall in that category... I guess the even govt. milk distribution is classified as an essential service... For ppl who work in this govt classified essential services, it is a default undertaking that they are supposed to attend duty whenever required.

Rallies and strikes are not only followed in India but in all parts of the world (am not sure abt communist countries).... They have also been the most successful ones to express ur concern....

There can be some effective ways to curb misuse of Bandhs/Strikes like "Bandhs/Strikes cannot be announced for death/assualt of any person/community/political party" (most irritating strikes/bandhs fall under this category) and some more... .. Again, even this has loop holes but the crux is rather blocking an important democratic right, we can fix the loop holes to stop misuse...

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 03:13 AM
On the same token, transport services should fall under essential services act..... Obviously that includes ambulance services. Same way power, any prearranged functions like marriage, birthday 'party' ;)

RaasuKutty
07-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Transport and power services do not fall under essential services act but Hospital services do fall under essential services... Essential services do NOT include any thing that can be stopped without affecting ppl's life..

So effectively a bandh/strike cannot stop life saving services to common man...

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 04:19 AM
that is the problem. isnt it? its full of contradictions. hospital services are but transport (ambulance may very well be affected) and power (do i say more on the dependency here?) are NOT....

I was serious about marriage... how many marriages get interrupted because of these nonsense.

In my opinion, a ptotest should be no more than our freedom. we can do whatever we want within our circle without affecting others' freedom.

RaasuKutty
07-24-2004, 02:52 PM
that is the problem. isnt it? its full of contradictions.

No Goks... Ambulance is indeed a hospital service.... Law has been very clear in defining essential services & there aren't any contradictions... Even a Civil war cannot stop essential services.. That is the level of importance given to essential services.... and hence there is no point in adding power/marriages in essential services act... ok.. let me get back into the main topic..

In my opinion, a ptotest should be no more than our freedom. we can do whatever we want within our circle without affecting others' freedom.

The entire purpose of the stike/bandh is by itself to claim back a "lost right/freedom".. How do u expect to acheive this by considering personal freedom into account...

gokulan42
07-24-2004, 03:06 PM
that is the problem. isnt it? its full of contradictions.

No Goks... Ambulance is indeed a hospital service.... Law has been very clear in defining essential services & there aren't any contradictions... Even a Civil war cannot stop essential services.. That is the level of importance given to essential services.... and hence there is no point in adding power/marriages in essential services act... ok.. let me get back into the main topic..

The entire purpose of the stike/bandh is by itself to claim back a "lost right/freedom".. How do u expect to acheive this by considering personal freedom into account...

What I meant was that if you can protest without taking away another person's freedom, its ok. Blocking the roads (ambulance will also be affected if the roads are blocked by buses and lorries and cars and vans), shutting (forcefully) the shops n schools, and other such things.

BTW, if I loose my rights to freedom, is it OK if I take away 10 other peoples. What kind of logic is that?

Also on your essential services act, nothing can stop the mob (particularly our mob) once they get emotional and we all know it.... How do you think everytime they end up burning something or all those people getting killed.