PDA

View Full Version : Is Pamban bridge gauge conversion worth the cost?

katteri
08-09-2004, 12:56 AM
I just the read an article in hindu...see the foll for more details

Pamban bridge is one of the oldest bridge in india that connects pamban and rameswaram.

The Railways will soon appoint a consultant for the Pamban Bridge between Mandapam and Rameswaram providing a broad gauge link to the pilgrim town.

The railways, which floated an international tender for shortlisting consultants, has received a number of bids, which are being processed.

The bridge is part of the on-going gauge conversion project between Madurai and Rameswaram.

While there is no difficulty in completing the work between Madurai and Pamban, the major hitch is the conversion of the existing metre gauge line on the bridge, which alone will cost about Rs. 800 crores.

Officials here wonder if it is worth the cost.

Apart from the expenditure, the work would take considerable time during which the rail link to Rameswaram is likely to be cut.

Instead the officials want to terminate the broad gauge line at Pamban and keep the bridge as a tourist attraction.

Shuttle services could be operated between Pamban and Rameswaram for pilgrims' convenience, they feel.

gokulan42
08-09-2004, 01:02 AM
We want to be a developed country.... I vote for broad guage.

vasan
08-09-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't know is Pamban bridge will make India a developed coountry :ahha: but I see the point Goks is making.. !!

Estimate seems to be on the high side. Broad gauge has lot of advantages of uniform size and broader safty. Its not for no reason they are converting it everywhere else.. I think they should do it.. Simply because the number of people travelling is high and their safety and convenience is quite important too..

Perhaps there should be a Railway minister from Rameshwaram, and suddenly every one would find it to be cheap, convenient and perfectly logical to convert the track - and may even launch a couple of new trains.. :wink:

sri_gan
08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Instead the officials want to terminate the broad gauge line at Pamban and keep the bridge as a tourist attraction.

I Suggest the same, with that 800 Crores we can bring the water project active.

katteri
08-09-2004, 09:15 PM
i agree with u Sri...

Bcos the bridge runs for few kms and it has to be well designed to withstand against corrosion.
Railways can make this bridge a tourist attraction...having a metre gauge.
If railways can afford to have himalayan railways, ooty trains y can they do this...