PDA

View Full Version : The Glass Ceiling

ferny
08-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Between 1974 and 1998 the number of women company directors increased by a stunning 600 per cent. An example of women smashing through the glass ceiling? Proof that women have now finally got it all? Well, not exactly. By 1998 the number of women company directors had increased to an all time high of… 3.6 per cent! Less than four in every hundred directors are women. The situation is slightly better in lower management grades, nearly one in five (18 per cent) of all managers are women.

Women have entered into junior management grades in increasing numbers in the last 25 years – the increase in women managers from 1974 to 1998 was 1,000 per cent – and around half of all women at work have a female boss. But the higher up an organisations hierarchy you go, the fewer women you see. And in male dominated industries women managers are few and far between – nearly nine in ten men working in the UK have a male boss. Even in female dominated sectors like nursing men are more likely to be promoted than women. Although there are more women managers in nursing than men, a disproportionate number of men who go into nursing rise to senior grades.

This is what people mean when they talk about a glass ceiling. Women are starting to move up into management positions, but they reach a certain point and don’t seem to go any further. So what’s happening?

Source: Women and Work

vasan
08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Me says.. "Shattered long time ago...wake up girlfriend!"..

I don't think there is any glass ceiling in corporate world (in the west at least !). Not any more. If the percentage is low, it is more because of other things - time, effort and whatever else it takes - to reach up the higher echleons.. To any one - men or women - determined and dedicated, and qualified - the positions are equally attainable. Chance and opportunity exists and its not biased against a person's sex. (Wish I could say the same thing about ethnic or racial differences also. That would take a while).

Ofcourse, there are some traditionally male dominated industries where women reaching the top management has not happened yet. But would. Eventually. The ceiling is long gone. We see only shadows now.

Wake up girlfriend!!!

The thing you see over head is called Sky.. and that is the only limit..:b:

Vasan

RaasuKutty
08-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Without any hesitations, Yes the ceilings were broken long back... :P :P

I have even seen many instances of top women executives even in India.. There is no stopping for any person to go high in life...

shed the feeling of a dominant male society and look at the world and tell me what u have..

ferny
08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Hmmm I think we could say that things are really looking good for women wanting to climb the excutive ladder. But I don't see many women up there. So I wouldn't say that it is shattered completely.

Ofcourse, there are some traditionally male dominated industries where women reaching the top management has not happened yet. But would.

:think: Then how do you say it is shattered?

I'm not going all feminist and saying that we don't get a fair chance. But it seems to me that women still feel more pressure to out perform inorder to climb up than men.

Okay maybe the poll wasn't structured well enough. I've changed it to include just 'Yes' . I think it still exists but maybe not as unbreakable as before.

vasan
08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
It is shattered. When I say there are traditionally male dominated industries, I mean institutions like, NFL coach or an NBA coach.. Or the really top echleons of Armed forces..

These are male dominated - merely because so far women have not ventured into these areas. Be a coach or a second level coach in a school, prove your stuff, pick up, establish your rapport with players, earn their respect and I don't see any reason - much less a glass ceiling - that stops them from reaching these positions. It would take time, possibly.. but there is no one in the lowest ranks also now.. How then can we hope for some one in the top ranks??

When I say it is shattered, I am saying, that no one will be shocked or surprised or find it hard to accept a women being a governor or a CEO of HP or leading GE or President of a College or heading Universal, or Merril-Lynch or anyother thing.. !

Why then this 3 % is a myth? It is a myth, because if you look in the lower ranks, you wouldn't find 50 % women. Say there is nearly 50 % in every job except the top 10 jobs then its a sad reality.. but the point is the ratio is pretty much low to begin with, and raising up inthe top, it gets lower.. Why it becomes lower is another can of worms, but it is NOT solely because of sex.

That is why I said there ain't no glass ceiling no more..

Vasan

butterfly
08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Hmmm I think we could say that things are really looking good for women wanting to climb the excutive ladder. But I don't see many women up there. So I wouldn't say that it is shattered completely.

I think there are lot of women coming up & taking positions...One example i can give here is our sumo Shy :)

goodcomplanboy
08-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Undoubtedly, there is no glass ceiling anymore. There are lot of women around in the top and responsible positions. In my company here almost 75% of the top management people are women.

When, I was working in India, my PM too was a woman. She had so much of respect and responsibilities.

So wakeup girlfriend !!!

butterfly
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I think all of us are talking about women who have acheived their goals ...was wondering may be we shud discuss
1 ) wat attributes women to step up that ladder to shatter the glass ceiling
2 ) wat are the obstacles which prevents her frm shattering the glass ceiling

Ferny,
I Hope I am in the right path of discussion :think: ...otherwise pls feel free to tell me so :)

Shy
08-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi Ferny,

A good topic !!! Sorry me late :oops:

My vote is for "Shattered long time ago...wake up girlfriend!"

Yes ofcourse in some male dominated industries, but that i mean the more physical involved works, like construction workers etc. In these type of work, women cant compete and we know our limits :) Other than that, women are pretty much coming in all sorts of oppurtunities. Countries like india have 33% reservation for them to encourage women to work and its working out pretty good. Even they are ready to become a PM ;)

Pattams, enna poonga.. :D

More to come as we proceed!!

Shy

ferny
08-13-2004, 07:20 PM
2 ) wat are the obstacles which prevents her frm shattering the glass ceiling

Thats a great place to take the discussion.

I see I'm not going to get much support on my view. I'll come back with some stats.

Priyam2004
08-13-2004, 09:29 PM
I think there are many women in high flying managerial positions nowadays (and they're quite good too ;)).

Here lots of Nursing, Child Care & Health Care related industries have strong female managers playing vital parts in the organisation/management team.

As far as I see...it's like if you work well and prove you can achieve results...(regardless of which gender one is)...you can surely climb the success ladder and be rewarded accordingly! :P

butterfly
08-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I see I'm not going to get much support on my view. I'll come back with some stats.

Ferny,
sometimes practical views are easily digested...so dont worry...@ times ppl go into silence not coz they dont accept ur views but may be coz ur views made them think :)

to answer the first question...i have some case studies about few women & wat they have to say :)

Carleton "Carly" Fiorina
President & CEO, Hewlett-Packard Company

H-P, the world's second-largest computer maker, is one of the 30 so-called "blue-chip" companies that makes up the Dow Jones Index and has close to $50 billion in annual revenue. It is ranked #13 on the Fortune 500 list.

This former AT&T employee was already crowned the most powerful woman in American business by Fortune magazine before joining H-P. She had successfully guided a spinoff company, Lucent Technologies Inc., out from the shadow of AT&T and through an IPO worth $3 billion in 1996. Since then she's done nothing to weaken her foothold as a major player in American big business.

Fiorina moved around a lot as a kid and spent time at high schools in Ghana, England, and the United States. She graduated with honors from Stanford where she studied medieval history and philosophy, and then went on to law school at UCLA. After two weeks she knew following her dad's footsteps into the law field would not make her happy and she dropped out. Breaking the news to her dad (a federal court judge) was one of the hardest things she's ever had to do, she said. In 1980, at age 25 she landed an entry-level job with AT&T and steadily rose through the ranks until finally landing atop Lucent.

Shelly Lazarus
Chairman & CEO, Ogilvy & Mather

Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide is one of the biggest ad agencies in the world and lists IBM, American Express, Mattel, and Ford among its clients.

The most powerful woman in advertising, Lazarus took over for the company's first woman CEO, Charlotte Beers, in 1997.

Lazarus didn't consider a career in advertising until her senior year at Smith College when she was stirred up by a conference given by the Advertising Women of New York. She graduated in 1968 and earned an MBA in 1970 from Columbia, where she was one of four women in her class. She joined Ogilvy & Mather in 1970 and gained her reputation by supervising accounts for Avon, the Ralston Purina Co., and Campbell Soup Co., and later signing multi-million dollar deals with American Express and IBM.

Meg Whitman
President & CEO, eBay Technologies

eBay is one of the Internet's most popular sites. It's an online auction house that describes itself as "the world's largest personal online trading company."

On paper she may have been the richest woman CEO in America, thanks to her eBay stock options and the company's amazing IPO in 1998. Ranked third on Fortune's Most Powerful Women list, Whitman is steadily guiding one of the few dot-com companies making money.

During her high school years she planned a career in medicine and entered the program at Princeton University. She switched to business studies after her experiences at a summer job in which she sold advertising for a campus publication. She graduated with an economics degree in 1977 and earned her MBA at Harvard Business School two years later.

Whitman became president of Stride Rite, a division of the shoe maker that manufactures Keds, and a chief executive of Florists' Transworld Delivery (FTD). She joined Hasbro Inc.'s preschool division in 1997 where she was responsible for global marketing of Playskool and Mr. Potato Head brands. Since joining eBay (in March 1998) Whitman has helped navigate the Internet company through well-publicized computer problems and helped make the company into a leading Internet startup.

Andrea Jung
President & CEO, Avon Products

Avon is the world's leading direct seller of beauty and related products which are sold in 135 countries with sales of $5.2 billion worldwide. It was ranked #312 on the Fortune 500 list. Jung's road to the top of Avon was paved with persistence. Passed over for the CEO position in 1997, Jung was promoted in 1999 and has since energized the company with her retail experience and acclaimed marketing wizardry.

Jung attended Princeton, majoring in English literature, and graduated magna cum laude in 1979. Her remarkable retailing career began at Bloomingdale's when she joined the company's management trainee program. She quickly climbed the management ladder before jumping to San Francisco retailer I. Magnin, and later Neiman Marcus, where she was executive vice president.

Jung began her career at Avon as a consultant before signing on full-time in 1994. Despite her leadership in the company's global marketing initiatives as a COO, the vacant CEO position went to Charles R. Perrin, a former Duracell International executive who had no cosmetics experience. Today Jung is sitting on top of this unique Fortune 500 company with more women in management positions than any other. In fact, half of Avon's board of directors are women.

when we read about all these women...they had an ambition...& they were able to carry on with their ambitions...hence if they cud do it so can any women :)

will continue later

teju
12-20-2004, 08:08 PM
hey guys i know social taboos are broken and women are out in the world
but she still is dominated and exploited at some point of her life!!! so we need to accept this that women still stay in the same place where she was before despite all the exploitation and the domination she comes up and establishes herself in the world :b: ISnt this grt :b:
so hats off to we women :ee: