PDA

View Full Version : Words of the Bible !

vennai1
09-17-2004, 02:48 AM
[highlight=#a300ff:23478fcce5]Words of the Bible ![/highlight:23478fcce5]

எல்லா புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே ! :sm03: :pray:

God Bless us all :sm03: :pray:

http://www.geetham.net/photoshow/logo.php?picturename=albums/userpics/10535/He1.jpg

Blessed are we, who are born in this world as humans.
Even blessed are those who get the oppurtunity to hear good words.
Good words imbibe good thoughts in us and lead to good actions. :b:

It has been my long standing desire to explore the niceties of the Holy Bible
for everyone to rejoice ! :b:

Many of us have a variety of trials and tribulations all through
their worldly lives. At those troubled times, respite comes in the
name of the Lord.

Lets hope this is a rewarding exercise for everyone involved.

With those words, I kneel before Almighty and invite one and all
interested in savoring the Lord's love and share thy knowledge with us.
Let us seek the sacred heart of Jesus and his love ! :pray:

In days to come we will start with the various gospels, psalms
from New & Old Testaments. Praise the Lord ! :pray:

Please bring forth your favorite verses too and let us relish them all
together with friends. :)

Ungal
-Victor :b:

vasan
09-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks for starting a wonderful new topic Vic. :) (Wow.. :P :P Really a great idea, Vic..:P)

I am sure this will be an inspiration to look deeply into the words and wisdom of Jesus Christ. :pray:

And certain that this would definitely be a rewarding for all the participants. :)

Will talk about some of my favourite sayings from the Bible. :b:

Vasan

goodcomplanboy
09-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Psalm 66:6

"He turned the sea into dry land; they went through the flood on foot; there did we rejoice in him."

It is a striking assertion, "through the floods" (the place where we might have expected nothing but trembling and terror, anguish and dismay) "there", says the Psalmist, "did we rejoice in him!"

How many there are who can endorse this as their experience: that "there," in their very seasons of distress and sadness, they have been enabled, as they never did before, to triumph and rejoice.

How near their God in covenant is brought! How brightly shine His promises! In the day of our prosperity we cannot see the brilliancy of these. Like the sun at noon, hiding out the stars from sight, they are indiscernible; but when night overtakes, the deep, dark night of sorrow, out come these clustering stars - blessed constellations of Bible hope and promise of consolation.

butterfly
09-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Good Topic Vennai :b: ...

In days to come we will start with the various gospels, psalms
from New & Old Testaments. Praise the Lord !

Let me start with genesis then :)

Genesis 24

The chapter which taught me about faith & submission to the will of God @ times of confusion

A beautifull Love story :)...
For ppl who know the story just concentrate on verse 58

1 And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

5 And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest?

6 And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.

7 The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.

8 And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.

9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.

10 And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.

11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.

12 And he said O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.

13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:

14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.

15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.

16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.

17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.

18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.

19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.

20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.

21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the Lord had made his journey prosperous or not.

22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;

23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?

24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.

25 She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.

26 And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the Lord.

27 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the Lord led me to the house of my master's brethren.

28 And the damsel ran, and told them of her mother's house these things.

29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well.

30 And it came to pass, when he saw the earring and bracelets upon his sister's hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying, Thus spake the man unto me; that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the well.

31 And he said, Come in, thou blessed of the Lord; wherefore standest thou without? for I have prepared the house, and room for the camels.

32 And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet, and the men's feet that were with him.

33 And there was set meat before him to eat: but he said, I will not eat, until I have told mine errand. And he said, Speak on.

34 And he said, I am Abraham's servant.

35 And the Lord hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses.

36 And Sarah my master's wife bare a son to my master when she was old: and unto him hath he given all that he hath.

37 And my master made me swear, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell:

38 But thou shalt go unto my father's house, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son.

39 And I said unto my master, Peradventure the woman will not follow me.

40 And he said unto me, The Lord, before whom I walk, will send his angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father's house:

41 Then shalt thou be clear from this my oath, when thou comest to my kindred; and if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear from my oath.

42 And I came this day unto the well, and said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, if now thou do prosper my way which I go:

43 Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink;

44 And she say to me, Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels: let the same be the woman whom the Lord hath appointed out for my master's son.

45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.

46 And she made haste, and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: so I drank, and she made the camels drink also.

47 And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? And she said, the daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands.

48 And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son.

49 And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.

50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said, The thing proceedeth from the Lord: we cannot speak unto thee bad or good.

51 Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the Lord hath spoken.

52 And it came to pass, that, when Abraham's servant heard their words, he worshipped the Lord, bowing himself to the earth.

53 And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave them to Rebekah: he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things.

54 And they did eat and drink, he and the men that were with him, and tarried all night; and they rose up in the morning, and he said, Send me away unto my master.

55 And her brother and her mother said, Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go.

56 And he said unto them, Hinder me not, seeing the Lord hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.

57 And they said, We will call the damsel, and enquire at her mouth.

58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go.

59 And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham's servant, and his men.

60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.

61 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way.

62 And Isaac came from the way of the well Lahairoi; for he dwelt in the south country.

63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.

64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.

65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

66 And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done.

67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

This verse inspired me

And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go.

How many of us have such blind faith?...how many of us say Yes to God's will?...we often doubt the will of God & question Him :)...& even try running away fear of the unknown or our own commitments...but God's plan always succeeds & God has peculiar ways in fufilling His will :)

vasan
09-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I naturally went to the Love Story part, right away.... :oops: :P :P Cute.. :P

Nice one, butterfly. Blind faith? mm.. More like a complete trust, you mean? Because Rebekah seems to have listened to that old friend of Abraham's, and trusted him implicitly..

Trusting God need not be blind. Some times Gods ways are mysterious, but God is always the same. His love is what you trust, and that doesn't change, right? Go wherever he takes you, trusting, He will protect and care.

Not trying to contradict you, Pattampoochi.. Just thinking aloud. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks GCB & Pattampoochi, for the inspirational words.. :P

Vasan

butterfly
09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
It is a striking assertion, "through the floods" (the place where we might have expected nothing but trembling and terror, anguish and dismay) "there", says the Psalmist, "did we rejoice in him!"

very hard to do GCB...but guess we can try :)

Not trying to contradict you, Pattampoochi.. Just thinking aloud. Hope you don't mind.

No Problemo :)...isnt this wat this thread is supposed to be for :)...to think aloud & discuss :think:

Nice one, butterfly. Blind faith? mm.. More like a complete trust, you mean? Because Rebekah seems to have listened to that old friend of Abraham's, and trusted him implicitly..

I put it has blind faith coz...she hasnt met abraham or isaac...all she knows is this person standing in front of her asking her if she wud go with him?..to marry his master's son....so she hasnt had a chance to trust them...so isnt by faith she is saying yes...I believe the spirit of God was with her ...

butterfly
09-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Something I read today which kept me thinking...wanted to share it with all of u

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.
ISAIAH 40:8 NIV

How important is it to write out our thoughts and feelings? I’m so glad God decided to put His thoughts and feelings into the written word! I love to know that He thinks about us constantly and carries us in the palm of His hand. I’m thrilled to learn about His character and read about the experiences others have had in His presence. Words have power—and we have the privilege of preserving them in our journals every day.

When we take time to record memories, journal our prayers, and write down our thoughts, we truly give ourselves a gift to be opened over and over again. We can recall times of laughter, be encouraged by God’s faithfulness in difficult situations, and feel a sense of comfort by expressing and managing the emotions He’s given to us. It feels good to revisit the joys and even the struggles in our lives, because God is working in us and building our trust through every circumstance. We never outgrow His gentle and wise instruction. We never graduate from the learning process.

As another school year begins, we might all use it as a little nudge to begin an ‘essay’ on the days God gives us on earth. No due dates, no grading scales, simply an opportunity to appreciate the gift of the written word—and a chance to allow God to encourage our hearts and remind us of His unconditional love and continued faithfulness. Our journals can become one of our favorite reads…and perhaps one of our greatest teachers.

Bonnie Jensen

vasan
09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
As another school year begins, we might all use it as a little nudge to begin an ‘essay’ on the days God gives us on earth.

Hm... Something to be considered.. I think..

Quite a worthwhile task.

Thanks, Pattampoochi.. :b:

v-

ferny
09-22-2004, 12:56 AM
A very nice topic vennai!!

The following words were taken from Paul's second letter to Timothy.

"If we have died with him
..we shall also live with him.
If we continue to endure,
...we shall also rule with him.
If we deny him,
...he also will deny us
If we are not faithful,
...he remains faithful,
...because he cannot be false to himself."

Sometimes when I find it really hard to see the point of praying I read these words.

Ferny

goodcomplanboy
09-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Nice one Ferns. I took a print out and pinned it in my cube :)

vasan
09-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Right after these words.. Paul continues.. :

"Keep reminding them of these things !"

How very appropriate.. ! Thanks for reminding us, Ferns ! :sm30:

God is faithful, for he cannot be false to himself, is one of the most encouraging words. To know that God's faithfulness to his promises aren't dependent on our feeble efforts..

Vasan

vennai1
09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
"If we have died with him
..we shall also live with him.
If we continue to endure,
...we shall also rule with him.
If we deny him,
...he also will deny us
If we are not faithful,
...he remains faithful,
...because he cannot be false to himself."

Right after these words.. Paul continues.. :

"Keep reminding them of these things !"

quite true. :b:
A Prayer is a great thing ! It helps one perceive the eternal light.
The very thought of the Lord purifies one's mind and matter
as his pristine flow of love towards us is the cause for all jubiliation.

One has to keep reminding himself/herself that joy comes in the Lord's
Holy name and He is always there for us, even for those who dont faith
their heart in Him as all of us are his sons and daughters.

Thanks ferny that is one of the verses we love to overstate everytime
we get a chance.

______________________________ ___________________

I am glad there are lot of interested friends out here to relish
the Lord's Words. We will try to keep it going. The floor is open
for all your favorite verses.
So let the divine niceties flow.

(vasan, butterfly,ferny, goodcomplanboy -- thanks and keep it going ! :b:)

pattams, special thanks for all those verses ! need a calm reading again :b:

goodcomplanboy
09-23-2004, 03:48 PM
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his inner being shall flow rivers of living water - John 7:38

Some of us are shivering and wondering why the Holy Spirit does not fill us. We have plenty coming in, but we do not give it out. Give out the blessing that you have, start larger plans for service and blessing, and you will soon find that the Holy Spirit is before you, and He will present you with blessings for eservice, and give you all that He can trust you to give away to others.

There is a beautiful fact in nature which has its spiritual parallels. There is no music so heavenly as an Aeolian harp and the Aeolian harp is nothing but a set of musical chords arranged in harmony and the left to be touched by the unseen fingers of the wandering winds. And as the breath of heaven floats over the chords, it is said that notes almost Divine float out upon the air, as if a choir of angels were wandering around and touching the strings.

And so it is possible to keep our hearts so open to the touch of the Holy Spirit that He can play upon them at will, as we quitely wait in the pathway of His service.

When the apostles received the baptism with the Holy Spirit, they did not rent the upper room and stay there to hold holiness meetings, but went everywhere preaching the gospel.

"If I have eaten my morsel alone,
The patriarch spoke with scorn;
What would he think of the Church were he shown
Heathendom - huge, forlorn,
Godless, Christless, with soul unfed,
While the Church's ailment is fullness of bread,
Eating her morsel alone?

Freely ye have received, so give,
He bade, who hath given us all.
How shall the soul in us longer live
Deaf to their starving call,
For whom the blood of the Lord was shed,
And His body broken to give them bread,
If we eat our morsel alone!"

vennai1
10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his inner being shall flow rivers of living water - John 7:38

Yes GCBoy, it is the words from the savior himself ! :pray: :pray:
One of those lines that mark their spell on us and is accentuated most
of the time.

Thinking of which, we must be thankful for the very meal and water
we are given everyday as it is from Him and His love which provides
us - His sons and daughters our daily meal.

Let us share His love with our friends and dear ones all time
and thank the holy spirit for protecting us for all dangers.

Thanks GCBoy for those thoughts.
Butterfly you are welcome too to write your favorite words
and all other geetham friends too. ;)

Please keep the bible thoughts coming friends,
requesting all believers with love to come forward and
enliven His words ! :b: :sm03:

butterfly
10-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Some of us are shivering and wondering why the Holy Spirit does not fill us. We have plenty coming in, but we do not give it out. Give out the blessing that you have, start larger plans for service and blessing, and you will soon find that the Holy Spirit is before you, and He will present you with blessings for eservice, and give you all that He can trust you to give away to others.

So true GCB...Thanks for reminding :sm08:

Vennai,
waiting to hear God's words thru u too...words to enrich & encourage

Here are Some more promises which I enjoy

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3,

Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 1 John 3:21-22

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:11

But God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me! Psalm 66:19-20

ferny
10-05-2004, 04:41 AM
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

Loved reading that quote butterfly!! Thanks for highlighting it. I felt moody the whole day and when I ready your quote I felt so empowered. thanks :) :)

Ferny

vasan
10-14-2004, 01:09 AM
The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20 So he got up and went to his father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. '

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

Courtesy of International Bible Society and http://www.biblegateway.com/ (Luke 15)

What bothers me most when I fail? Is it the disgusting feeling of messing up yet again, or the frustration of not mastering my impulses? What does keep me from 'sinning' again and again? The fear of punishment?

In one of the most celebrated parables, Jesus spoke about failure and heart break and mending a relationship. The prodigal son failed - not because he squandered all his wealth away - but mainly because he ran away from his father. My failure is not just because I indulge in (often repeatedly) things I ought not to be doing.. but in running away from the relationship we have with God. What should offend me most, when I fail, is the betrayal of trust God has in me. What I should grieve really is the broken relationship with God. That and the dependence on God's grace is what would keep me from sinning repeatedly.

Who hasn't failed in his or her life? But that needn't hold us from coming back to God for the repair of our relationship. The prodigal kid knew that he did the wrong thing - and he came back to his father begging him to reinstate in some relationship - as he was not worthy of being his father's son. His father - talked nothing of his failures and life time of squandering - but just embraced him with warmth and restored him..

Some how every time I read this passage, it is more eloquent and meaningful than I understood before. And everytime it comforts me to know that, what God values most is the relationship I have with him.. and that failures need not be the end of my story. What would I be, but a vagrant and lost soul, except for his forgiveness and mercy !!

v-

goodcomplanboy
10-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Thats one of the most spoke parable Mr.v-. Nice one to know that God always looks for you to return. You just have to turn towards him.

Thanks for sharing v-.

ferny
10-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Sometimes it is very hard to live by faith. I think more and more people are driven by rewards, profits; in general a hope of something in return. I'm not sure if others feel the same...but I find it hard to leave everything up to god. If anything bad happens to me...its hard to just say that it is for the best; that god teaches me something important in every page of my life. It is hard to watch others reap success after success without doubting your own faith. I try to be as faithful as I possibly can so then where is God to help me when I need him? Why then should I continue living by faith??

The following is a passage from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians. It is dedicated to those of you plagued by the same questions that I am. I hope it helps :)

We who have the spiritual treasure are like common clay pots, in order to show that the supreme power belongs to God, not to us. We are often troubled but not crushed; sometimes in doubt, but never in despair; there are many enemies, but we are never without a friend; and though badly hurt at times we are not destroyed.

We must never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is renewed day after day. And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory much greater than the trouble. For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts for ever.

Ferny

butterfly
10-18-2004, 01:11 AM
We must never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is renewed day after day. And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory much greater than the trouble. For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts for ever.

Thanks Ferny :sm08: ...sometimes we place our trust in wrong places & then blame ourself for it & feel miserable about it...

vasan
10-18-2004, 03:46 PM
We are often troubled but not crushed; sometimes in doubt, but never in despair;

Oh... Boy.. :00: Tough to digest that one, right? Whoever would have thought that Paul could be in doubt, (but not in despair).... Fears, difficulties, and struggles are not my own monopoly...

Sometimes I do find it very hard to focus on eternity, and get very much bogged down by present. Plan something for future, and carefully construct your life to achieve whatever you have planned, and one fine morning everything is wiped out.. And its very hard. Can't say I have been too strong in faith.. Thats why this passage was a great comfort...

Thanks, ever ever so very much, Ferns.. :sm03: Timely words, they are, indeed.. :P

v-

bbabab2004
10-18-2004, 11:04 PM
where is the most famous matthew 5:8
God love those whose hearts are pure

bbabab2004
10-18-2004, 11:05 PM
that is the most famous words of bible. always it is said during prayer
and RC churches.

butterfly
10-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes bbabab,
God does love the pure in heart...but its also nice to know he does Love the not perfect ones more to die for us...so we cud be saved

butterfly
10-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Genesis 2 -7
The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

wanted to share something which made me think

one of my kutti friends had come over for sleep over...he was 3 when this happened...for bed time story we told him about God's creation of how God created adam...this kid was listening.slept & went home the next day...
That evening his mom came home frm work...she was tired & was laying on the couch...he was bored & told his mom to play with him...his mom said i am tired let me lie down for few min...this boy goes & blows into his mom's nose & tells her let their be Life... now get up :)....his mom was shocked of wat he was doing...to which he replied well its written in the bible :)

though it was a cute expression on the part of the kid...it made me realise how many times we are just living as dead ppl...we live for the sake of living...I realised we need that fresh breath often to bring us back to life...That breath cud be thru the words frm the bible...thru our friends,kids,family etc

goodcomplanboy
11-03-2004, 12:56 PM
though it was a cute expression on the part of the kid...it made me realise how many times we are just living as dead ppl...we live for the sake of living...I realised we need that fresh breath often to bring us back to life...That breath cud be thru the words frm the bible...thru our friends,kids,family etc

Nice inspiration to start the day with pattams. I dont remember the exact verse and which book this verse comes in (nor the exact sentence)

"It is said, to enter the Gods kingdom, we should have an heart like the child"

How true are the words. Look at the kids faith in the bed time story you told him. He believed completely and it did work. How many of us have the faith like the kid had. This is just classic, awesome example of God working on our lives.

Thanks for sharing Pattams :sm08:

goodcomplanboy
11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
"And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,"
-- Acts 9:11

Prayers are instantly noticed in heaven. The moment Saul began to pray the Lord heard him. Here is comfort for the distressed but praying soul. Oftentimes a poor broken-hearted one bends his knee, but can only utter his wailing in the language of sighs and tears; yet that groan has made all the harps of heaven thrill with music; that tear has been caught by God and treasured in the lachrymatory of heaven. "Thou puttest my tears into thy bottle," implies that they are caught as they flow. The suppliant, whose fears prevent his words, will be well understood by the Most High. He may only look up with misty eye; but "prayer is the falling of a tear." Tears are the diamonds of heaven; sighs are a part of the music of Jehovah's court, and are numbered with "the sublimest strains that reach the majesty on high."

Think not that your prayer, however weak or trembling, will be unregarded. Jacob's ladder is lofty, but our prayers shall lean upon the Angel of the covenant and so climb its starry rounds. Our God not only hears prayer but also loves to hear it. "He forgetteth not the cry of the humble." True, He regards not high looks and lofty words; He cares not for the pomp and pageantry of kings; He listens not to the swell of martial music; He regards not the triumph and pride of man; but wherever there is a heart big with sorrow, or a lip quivering with agony, or a deep groan, or a penitential sigh, the heart of Jehovah is open; He marks it down in the registry of His memory; He puts our prayers, like rose leaves, between the pages of His book of remembrance, and when the volume is opened at last, there shall be a precious fragrance springing up therefrom.

"Faith asks no signal from the skies,
To show that prayers accepted rise,
Our Priest is in His holy place,
And answers from the throne of grace."

jayasree
11-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Very surprised and happy to see this topic here.

These are some of the verses which has enriched my mind and should reah each and everyone in this world that they may know the truth and have salvation

John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Romans 8:35 - Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

Romans 8:39 - Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 And God spoke all these words:
2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
3 "You shall have no other gods before me.
4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6 but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments.
7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Spiritually the people are blinded from knowing the truth and is really very pity to know how many ignorant, sincere and humble people put their hope and faith in not only Saibaba but in all cheating Gurus/Sadhus.

People first should know that we are sinners. Sin doesn't mean that it is not only commiting adultery/murder/theft. Even anger is sin, even a bad thought about a person is like commiting adultery, telling lies is sin.
Also We should know what is the meaning of life, our origin, our destiny and the answers to all these questions should be coherent. Many would say that there are many paths that lead to same destination. All religions are same. But in reality truth is exclusive. One is true means everything else is false.

Only Bible has answers to all our questions and it is only through Christ we can have eternal life. He has died for our sins, has taken our burden, has suffered for us so that we may live eternally with Him. He asks us to have simple faith on Him and just follow Him so that we might be saved.

Most important thing everyone should know is that no body except Christ has died for our sins. If He had claimed as Son of God and just died and gone, there is no reason to believe Him, but He has resurrected, that too bodily and around 100 people witnessed His resurrection along with His disciples and we have all historic proofs. Also all the biblical prophecies have been fulfilled with 99.9% accuracy. Christ has said that He will come again and take His people with Him. HE is the master creator and there is a Judgement Day for all of us.

Many aethist would say that earth has evolved just by big bang theory. Nothing can evolve by itself, that too leave out all the wonderous scientific things in the universise beyond man's knowledge, just by seeing human beings, their cell structure, their brain, thoughts, wonderful creation just can't evolve by itself, there should be a master creator and He is none other than Christ whose as claimed Himself as Son of God and also proved it.

My humble request is that people should start questioning about the origin, meaning of life and destiny and their coherence with our life. If we sincerely seek for truth in any system of belief, God will reveal the truth and people will be saved. God loves each and everyone of us and does not want to lose even a single soul. So please don't blindly follow any person who claims as God without questioning or simply following the religion in which we were born only for the reason that we are born in that religion. Please don't be adamant but open your heart and mind to know the truth.

Finally, Christ didnot come to form any religion, we cannot even find a word about religion(Christianity/Christian) in Bible. Bible is a beautiful love letter which God has given to mankind. God sees us not as any religious person, whether Hindu/Muslim/Christian/BuddhistHe sees us only as believer/unbeliever of truth.

I sincerely pray for every people so that they may know the truth and be saved.
May God bless.

goodcomplanboy
11-11-2004, 02:29 PM
really good ones Jayasree, thanks for sharing it with us.

goodcomplanboy
11-11-2004, 02:33 PM
I read this verse today morning and was really inspired by the truth in this verse. As the thought goes, everywhere whether in families or in society, the huge division is between men and women. As Paul says, we should recognize each other and should committ to place value on each other.

VERSE:
In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
-- 1 Corinthians 11:11

THOUGHT:
"We are all one in Christ Jesus!" Paul told the Galatians (Gal. 3:26-29). Satan, however, constantly tries to divide God's people. One of his most effective means of division has been to divide men and women -- whether in families or churches. Paul reminds us that if Jesus is our Lord, we recognize we need each other and we are committed to placing value on each other. Rather than letting Satan divide us through our differences, we choose to unite around our
Savior!

goodcomplanboy
11-18-2004, 05:06 PM
"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb... and they loved not their lives unto the death." - Rev. 12:11

When James and John came to Christ with their mother, asking Him to give them the best place in the kingdom, He did not refuse their request, but told them it would be given to them if they could do His work, drink His cup, and be baptized with His baptism.

Do we want the competition? The greatest things are always hedged about by the hardest things, and we, too, shall find mountains and forests and chariots of iron. Hardship is the price of coronation. Triumphal arches are not woven out of rose blossoms and silken cords, but of hard blows and bloody scars. The very hardships that you are enduring in your life today are given by the Master for the explicit purpose of enabling you to win your crown.

Do not wait for some ideal situation, some romantic difficulty, some far-away emergency; but rise to meet the actual conditions which the providence of God has placed around you today. Your crown of glory lies embedded in the very heart of these things - those hardships and trials that are pressing you this very hour, week and month of your life. The hardest things are not those that the world knows of. Down in your secret soul unseen and unknown by any but Jesus, there is a little trial that you would not dare to mention, that is harder for you to bear than martyrdom.

There, beloved, lies your crown. God helpz you to overcome and sometime wear it.

"It matters not how the battle goes,
The day how long;
Faint not ! Fight on !
Tomorrow comes the song."

butterfly
11-19-2004, 12:35 AM
It matters not how the battle goes,
The day how long;
Faint not ! Fight on !
Tomorrow comes the song."

Thanks GCB for those words of encouragement :sm08:

vennai1
11-30-2004, 04:38 AM
true. true butterfly very true. we do need fresh breath often
and people find it in a variety of things in nature.
as you said could be friends, could be family what not.
but the important aspect is every now and then we need
to lift our heads up from all this worldly chaos and inhale
a little bit of equanimity into our lives.
that is when the words from the Holy book helps us
walk through all that.

God bless. :pray:

goodcomplanboy
02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD - Proverbs 21:30"

No matter how fresh the start nor how great the plans we have made, if we do not walk with God, the coming year will not be a spiritual success. As we receive this gift of a new year, let's
commit to serve the Lord. As we make plans for the coming days ahead, let's make sure that those plans are made based on the LORD's revealed will in Scripture and prayerful consideration of what our God wants us to accomplish.

Join me in this prayer:
God of the ages, our Father in heaven, thank you for being very near to us in our daily life. Please help me know your will each day. Bring the people into my life who will help us love you more, serve you effectively, and bless others in meaningful ways. To you be all the honor and glory in what we do, think, and say in the days ahead. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

butterfly
02-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Does evil exist? A university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists?
A student bravely replied, "Yes, He did!"
"God created everything?" the professor asked.
"Yes, Sir," the student replied.
The professor answered, "If God created everything, then He also created evil since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil."
The student became quiet before such an answer.
The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.
Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question, professor?"
"Of course," replied the professor.
The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"
"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" remarked the professor.
The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the law of physics what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat.
The student continued. "Professor, does darkness exist?"
The professor responded, "Of course it does!"
The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."
Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"
Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily examples of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil!"
To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exists just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."
The professor sat down.

coolian
02-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Nopes, AE did not say that. It's not true. Check it out here (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/e/einstein-god.htm).

butterfly
02-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Edited...Thanks coolian.

vasan
02-25-2005, 12:46 AM
:D :D

Yep. Einstein did not say that. Hardly did he ever teach undergrads anyways.

Einstein was not even 'religiously' inclined. I've read someplace that 'he believes in Spinoza's God'.. (Spinoza was a 17th century philosopher and some info on him can be found here.. http://www.iep.utm.edu/s/spinoza.htm)

Good story, though, Pattams. :b: Thanks!

Vasan

butterfly
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
The Shadow Of Your Wings

When skies are dark and trouble rains
My heart with joy stills sings
For there’s a refuge from life’s storms
Under the shadow of Your wings.

How precious is Your love O God!
How precious, Your thoughts of me!
Thank You for Your love O God,
For lasting peace and security.

Under the shadow of Your wings
I am secure from all harm.
Under the shadow of Your wings
I’m held safely in Your arms.

I will praise Your name forever
Of Your great love I will sing,
Thank You Lord for holding me
Under the shadow of Your wings.

- Lora Cox -

How excellent is thy loving kindness, O God! therefore the children
of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. (Psalms 36:7)

courtesy: http://skywriting.net/inspirational/poems/the_shadow_of_your_wings.html

ferny
04-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Re: "DOES EVIL EXIST?"
That is a wonderful story! Where did you find it butterfly?
I have heard from people who are quick to dismiss god or determined to prove his non-existence. I like this story because it goes about it the other way. In proving that evil does not exist it solidifies the existence of god.

While reading it, I was reminded of one of Anne Rice's quotes.
"People who cease to believe in God or goodness altogether still believe in the devil. I don't know why. No, I do indeed know why. Evil is always possible. And goodness is eternally difficult."

goodcomplanboy
04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Why Is Sin So Bad?

"He was wounded for our transgressions." - Isaiah 53:5

Pain. Abject, horrible, excruciating pain. Unrelenting, unbearable, unspeakable pain. With each slash across Jesus' back and with every muscle-burning step up Golgotha's hill, our Savior received the punishment for our sin.

In our let's-make-everything-okay world we often look at sin and wonder, what's the big deal? After all, our sin isn't so bad. If we lie a little or cheat just a bit - what's the harm? If we gossip some or use coarse language a few times - whom will it hurt? What's so bad about sin?

It's bad because of what it put Jesus through. Yes, our sin was the reason for the torment Jesus suffered as He made His way to the cross - and as He hung on that cross and ultimately died a horrific death.

Of course we can never undo what has been done; that pain can never be reversed. Yet we must understand that if we continue to sin knowingly, we are in effect turning our back on Jesus and His pain. It's as if we're saying that it doesn't matter to us what we put Jesus through, we're going to do what we want. To sin in the light of the cross is to tell Jesus that even His intense suffering has not taught us about the awfulness of sin.

Why is sin so bad? Look what it did to Jesus. - Dave Branon

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

goodcomplanboy
05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."
- Deuteronomy 33:27

In the tender song of Moses found in today's Bible reading, God is portrayed as a dedicated mother eagle who can be trusted by her young, even in the scary experience of their learning to fly (Deuteronomy 32:11-12).

A mother eagle builds a comfortable nest for her young, padding it with feathers from her own breast. But the God-given instinct that builds that secure nest also forces the eaglets out of it before long. Eagles are made to fly, and the mother eagle will not fail to teach them. Only then will they become what they are meant to be.

So one day the mother eagle will disturb the twigs of the nest, making it an uncomfortable place to stay. Then she will pick up a perplexed eaglet, soar into the sky, and drop it. The little bird will begin to free-fall. Where is Mama now? She is not far away. Quickly she will swoop under and catch the fledgling on one strong wing. She will repeat this exercise until each eaglet is capable of flying on its own.

Are you afraid of free-falling, unsure of where or how hard you will land? Remember, God will fly to your rescue and spread His everlasting arms beneath you. He will also teach you something new and wonderful through it. Falling into God's arms is nothing to be afraid of. - Joanie Yoder

"He will ever keep your soul,
What would harm, He will control;
In the home and by the way
He will keep you day by day."
-Psalter

God's love does not keep us from trials but sees us through them.

vasan
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
By the Rivers of Babylon !

Psalm 137 was written by a group of singers who were captured from their country and taken as slaves. Their new masters - the army, people of Babylon - asked them to sing some songs of Zion (or Israel) and the response was this song.

How do you sing the songs of joy when you are depressed? Songs celebrating the love of God while you feel let down or neglected? How can you put on a happy face, when all you could do is to try not to break down before every one? How could we smile when all we want to say is: Why God? Why me? Why now? Why this? And for the rest of the world and ourselves, we have no answers. No strength to sing the songs of Zion in Babylon.

Its amazing how true this captures moments of desolation in our lives. The psalm in fact does not explain or give any encouragement. It simply seems to make you cry - just break down and lament.

Yes. Desolation, loneliness, and sorrow are not new. And while God does not necessarily say why this happens, He does want us to know that He sees our broken spirit - and understands the pain of our hearts. So much so that, as a record, He did inspire this song.

God knows my sorrow. He knows why I feel depressed, angry, upset, and soooo.. alone. I don't see Him drying my tears - but I hear this song.. By the Rivers of Babylon... We sat down and wept - and God being faithful, hears my crying and my anguish.

God knows me. God hears me. God sees my tears. And God loves me.

Psalm 137

By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.

There on the poplars
we hung our harps,

for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

How can we sing the songs of the LORD
while in a foreign land?

If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill .

May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

goodcomplanboy
07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Orange Peels
=========

"Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall."
—1 Corinthians 10:12

Back in 1911, a stuntman named Bobby Leach went over Niagara Falls in a specially designed steel drum—and lived to tell about it. Although he suffered minor injuries, he survived because he recognized the tremendous dangers involved in the feat, and he had done everything he could to protect himself from harm.

Several years later, while walking down a street in New Zealand, Bobby Leach slipped on an orange peel, fell, and badly fractured his leg. He was taken to a hospital where he died of complications from that fall. He received a greater injury walking down the street than he sustained in going over Niagara Falls. He was not prepared for danger in what he assumed to be a safe situation.

Some of the great temptations that roar around us like the rushing waters of Niagara will leave us unharmed, while a small, seemingly insignificant incident may cause our downfall. Why? We simply become careless and do not recognize the potential danger. We mistakenly think we are secure (1 Corinthians 10:12).

We must always be on guard against temptation. A victorious Christian is an alert Christian who watches out even for those little "orange peels." —Richard De Haan

Take the name of Jesus ever
As a shield from every snare;
If temptations round you gather,
Breathe that holy name in prayer. —Baxter

Whenever we fall, it is usually at the point where we think we are strong.

vasan
07-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks, GCB.. :sm08:

Enna our daily bread-la kooda, Niagara falls-nnu vara pages thaan poduveengalo? :wink: :P

v- :D

goodcomplanboy
07-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Enna our daily bread-la kooda, Niagara falls-nnu vara pages thaan poduveengalo?

:sm12: good catch :ahha:

butterfly
09-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Our Times Are In His Hands

Anyone who is familiar with the story of Alice In Wonderland will probably remember this quote, “I’m late, I’m late for a very important date.” All of us are impacted by time, appointments, schedules, days, and dates. Calendars have been a great tool to help us remember what day it is, what’s coming up in our schedules, and what important matters will need our attention. At the end of each year, a calendar is like an album containing little snapshots of what we’ve done and where we’ve been.

At home, our family has one simple rule, “Write everything down in pencil.” One important lesson a calendar teaches us is that plans can change. Doctor’s appointments get canceled, dinner dates get rescheduled, and anticipated events don’t work out. Thankfully, that doesn’t mean that our lives are out of control, that nothing is certain, and that there’s nothing we can trust in.

The Bible tells us that our times are in God’s hands. That means that God is bigger than time, dates, and appointments. God’s plans for your life do not hinge on someone else’s schedule. God’s plans for your life cannot be frustrated by what others do or don’t do. God knows where you’ve been, He knows where you are, and He knows where He is leading you. His plans for you are made according to His wisdom, His love, and His power to perform them.

God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart, an inward assurance that He is in control, a peaceful certainty that your life is in His hands, a deep trust in His plan and purposes, and a thankful disposition toward all that He allows. He wants you to put your faith in Him, not in a timetable. He wants you to wait on Him and wait for Him. In His perfect way He will put everything together...see to every detail...arrange every circumstance...and order every step to bring to pass what He has for you.

Thanks to Daysprings.com :sm08:

goodcomplanboy
09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
nice one Pattams. Thanks for sharing :b:

vasan
09-06-2005, 05:28 PM
God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart, an inward assurance that He is in control

:think: :think: :think:

Thank you Pattampoochi.. :sm08: Quite reassuring.. :b:

v-

butterfly
09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
A Nighttime Prayer...
Interrupted by God

My Dear Father in Heaven...
* YES?

Don't interrupt me. I'm praying.
* But you called Me.

Called You? I didn't call You. I'm praying...
My Dear Father in Heaven...
* There, you did it again.

Did what?
* Called me. You said, "My Dear Father in Heaven." Here I am. What's on your mind?

But I didn't mean anything by it. I was just, You know, saying my prayers for the night.
I always say my prayers. It makes me feel good, kind of like getting my duty done.
* Oh. All Right. Go on.

I'm thankful for my many blessings...
* Hold it. How thankful?

What?
* How thankful are you for your "Many blessings?"

I'm... well... I don't know. How should I know? It's just part of the prayer. Everyone always said that I should express my thanks.
* Oh well. You're welcome. Go ahead...

Go ahead?
* With the prayer.

Oh yeah. Let's see... bless the poor and the sick and the needy and the afflicted...
* Do you really mean that?

Well, sure I mean it.
* What are you doing about it?

Doing? Who, me? Nothing. I guess. I just think that it would be kind of nice if You got control of things down here like You have up there, so people don't have to suffer so.
* Have I got control of you?

Well I go to church, I pay my tithing, I don't...
* That isn't what I asked you. What about your temper? You have a problem there, and your friends and family suffer. And then there's the way you spend your money... all on yourself. And how about the kinds of books you read?

Stop picking on me. I'm just as good as some of the rest of those I see every Sunday at church.
* Excuse Me. I thought you were praying for me to bless the needy. If that is going to happen, I'll have to have help from the ones who are praying for it... like you.

All right. I guess that I have a few hang-ups, now that You mention it. I could probably mention some others.
* So could I.

Look, Father. I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than usual. Bless the missionaries to be led to the doors of the honest in heart.
* You mean people like Ralph?

Ralph?
* Yes, the guy around the corner.

"That" Ralph... but he smokes and drinks and never goes to church.
* Have you ever looked in his heart lately?

Of course not. How can...
* I have. I looked. And it's one of those honest hearts you were just praying about.

O.K. then, get the missionaries over there. Do you think I like having a non-member for a neighbor?
* Aren't you supposed to be a missionary? I thought I made that pretty clear.

Hey, wait a minute. What is this? Criticize "me" day? Here I am, doing my duty, keeping your commandments to pray. And all of a sudden you break in and start reminding me of all my problems.
* Well, you called Me. And here I am. Keep on praying. I'm interested in this next part. You haven't changed the order around have you? Go on...

I don't want to.
* Why not?

I know what You'll say.
* Try Me and see.

Please forgive me of all my sins... and help me to forgive others.
* What about Bill?

See. I knew it. I knew you'd bring him up. Listen Lord, he told lies about me, and I got fired. All my co-workers think I'm a first class creep, and I didn't do anything. I'm going to get even with him!
* But your prayers. What about your prayers?

I didn't mean it.
* Well, at least you're honest. I guess you enjoy carrying that load of bitterness around, don't you?

No, I don't. But I'll feel better as soon as I get even.
* Do you want to know a secret?

What secret?
* You won't feel better. You'll feel worse. Listen to me. You forgive Bill and I'll forgive you.

But Lord, I can't forgive Bill.
* Then I cannot forgive you.

No matter what?
* No matter what.
But you're not through with your prayer yet. Go on.

Oh all right... please help me to control my feelings and not yield to temptations.
* Good. Good. I'll do just that. But you stop putting yourself in all those places where you can be tempted.

What do you mean by that?
* Quit hanging around the magazine racks and spending so much time in front of the tube. Some of that stuff is going to get to you sooner or later. You'll find yourself involved in some terrible things before long... and don't use me for an escape hatch either.

An escape hatch? I don't understand.

* Sure you do. You've done it lots of times -- you find yourself in a crisis situation, then you come running to me. "Lord, help me out of this mess and I promise I'll never do it again." It's amazing how the quality and intensity of your prayers improve when you are in trouble. Do you remember some of those bargains you tried to make with me?

Well I don't think... Oh... yeah... like the time Mom's visiting teacher saw me coming out of that movie about... Oh brother...
* Do you remember your prayer? I do. "Oh God. Don't let her tell my mother where I've been. I promise I'll go to nothing but "G" rated movies from now on. She didn't tell your mother, but you didn't keep your promise. Did you?

No Lord, I didn't. I'm sorry.
* So am I. Go ahead and finish your prayer.

Wait a minute. I want to ask you a question. Do you always listen to my prayers?
* Every word. Every time.

Then how come you never talked back to me before?
* How many chances have you given me? There's not enough time between your "Amens" and your head hitting the pillow for me to draw a breath. How am I supposed to give an answer?

You could, if you really wanted to.
* No. I could if *you* really wanted Me to. Child, I always want to.

Father, I am sorry. Will you forgive me?
* I already have. And thanks for letting me interrupt. I get lonely to talk to you sometimes. Goodnight. I love you.

Good night, and I love You too.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks to crossdaily.com :b:

goodcomplanboy
09-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Nice one Pattams. How true that sometimes I just say my prayer for the sake of saying it :doh: This post, definitely revealed my mistake. Thanks :b:

You know what, this is how God lets you know messages. This is really helpful for me Pattams. Thanks again.

vasan
09-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Have read something similar before, but it was refreshing to read again.. :D

Thanks Pattams.. :sm08:

v-

Bluelotus
09-29-2005, 08:33 PM
:oops: I was just thinking it's probably a good thing I have a monologue with the almighty at the mo..... :oops: :oops:
a good reminder B'fly :oops:

blue.

vasan
11-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Hand Delivered Bouquets

Max Lucado

Rejections are like speed bumps on the road. They come with the journey.

You cannot keep people from rejecting you. But you can keep rejections from enraging you. How? By letting his acceptance compensate for their rejection.

Think of it this way. Suppose you dwell in a high-rise apartment. On the window sill of your room is a solitary daisy. This morning you picked the daisy and pinned it on your lapel. Since you have only one plant, this is a big event and a special daisy.

But as soon as you're out the door, people start picking petals off your daisy. Someone snags your subway seat. Petal picked. You're blamed for the bad report of a coworker. Three petals. The promotion is given to someone less experience but with USC water polo looks.

More petals. By the end of the day, you're down to one. Woe be to the soul who dares to draw near it. You're only one petal-snatching away from a blowup.

What if the scenario was altered slightly? Let's add one character. The kind man in the apartment next door runs a flower shop on the corner. Every night on the way home he stops at your place with a fresh, undeserved, yet irresistible bouquet.

These are not leftover flowers. They are top-of-the-line arrangements. You don't know why he thinks so highly of you, but you aren't complaining. Because of him, your apartment has a sweet fragrance, and your step has a happy bounce. Let someone mess with your flower, and you've got a basketful to replace it!

The difference is huge. And the interpretation is obvious.

God will load your world with flowers. He hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day. Open it! Take them! Then, when rejections come, you won't be left short-petaled.

God can help you get rid of your anger.

Take the flowers. Receive from him so you can love or at least put up with others.

~~~~~~~~~~

With Many Thanks to Mr. Lucado and Crosswalk. :sm08:

sWEEtmICHe
12-02-2005, 08:15 PM
God will load your world with flowers. He hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day. Open it! Take them! Then, when rejections come, you won't be left short-petaled.

With Many Thanks to Mr. Lucado and Crosswalk. :sm08:

hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day
thanks chells.........., :b:

http://www.maxlucado.com/shop/images/details/B167GB_L.JPG
December 1

Our high priest is able to understand our weaknesses.
Hebrews 4:15

When God chose to reveal himself, he did so (surprise of surprises) through a human body. The tongue that called forth the dead was a human one. The hand that touched the leper had dirt under its nails. The feet upon which the woman wept were calloused and dusty. And his tears... oh, don't miss the tears... they came from a heart as broken as yours or mine ever has been.

vasan
03-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Ash Wednesday !

Today (03/01/2006) is Ash Wednesday, in Church calender. This day is the beginning of Lent Season - traditionally meant for reflections on the suffering and death of Jesus on the Cross. Ash Wednesday also is a reminder of our own mortality, that we are but dust, and one day to dust we all shall return.

May this season of Lent be a blessing for all of us, and help us remember things that are truly relevant and important. God bless you.... :sm08:

~~~~~~~~~~

Here is one of my fav. hymns, especially relevant during Lent season :D

Abide With Me

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word,
But as Thou dwell'st with Thy disciples, Lord,
Familiar, condescending, patient, free.
Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

~~~~~~~~~

- Words: Henry F. Lyte, 1847
- Music: William H. Monk, 1861

Lyte was inspired to write this hymn as he was dying of tuberculosis; he finished it the Sunday he gave his farewell sermon to the the parish he served so many years. The next day, he left for Italy to regain his health. He didn't make it though; he died in Nice, France, three weeks after writing these words.

For more than a century, the bells of his church at All Saints in Lower Brixham, Devonshire, have rung out "Abide With Me" daily. The hymn was sung at the wedding of King George VI of Britain, and at the wedding of his daughter, Queen Elizabeth II.

The music used here, titled "Eventide," is by far the best known of four different tunes used over the years. Mrs. Monk described the setting for her husband's composition of the tune:
"This tune was written at a time of great sorrow; when together we watched, as we did daily, the glories of the setting sun. As the last golden ray faded, he took some paper and penciled that tune which has gone all over the earth."

http://members.tripod.com/~Synergy_2/lyrics/abide.html

~~~~~~~~~

Come not to sojourn, dear Lord, but abide with me. :pray:

Vasan

vasan
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Just a chapter from the book of Isaiah.. felt like putting it up.. :ee:

Isaiah 55

Invitation to the Thirsty

1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.

4 See, I have made him a witness to the peoples,
a leader and commander of the peoples.

5 Surely you will summon nations you know not,
and nations that do not know you will hasten to you,
because of the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel,
for he has endowed you with splendor."

6 Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.

7 Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

12 You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.

13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD's renown,
for an everlasting sign,
which will not be destroyed."

Thanks to gospelcom.net and NIV !

Vasan

curious1
03-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Good one B'fly.

True that sometimes I just say my prayer for the sake of saying it.

Thanks for sharing.It kinda of reminding me.

butterfly
03-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks Curious :sm08: ....how come ur so familiar to us :think: :)

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

So True....Thanks anna for the reminder :sm08:

butterfly
03-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Learning From Kids

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard. My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff, you can wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so I sit self consciously and listen. My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that. My kids say, "Hi God!!! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle, I step around it. I see muddy shoes and clothes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to be taught? No wonder God loves the little children!!!

valluvan
03-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Very true pattams. Thanks for sharing. :P :b:

vasan
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Answered Prayers….

A voyaging ship was wrecked during a storm at sea and only two of the men on it were able to swim to a small, desert like island. The two survivors, not knowing what else to do, agreed that they had no other recourse but to pray to God. However, to find out whose prayer was more powerful, they agreed to divide the territory between them and stay on opposite sides of the island.
The first thing they prayed for was food. The next morning, the first man saw a fruit-bearing tree on his side of the land, and he was able to eat its fruit. The other man's parcel of land remained barren.

After a week, the first man was lonely and he decided to pray for a wife. The next day, another ship was wrecked, and the only survivor was a woman who swam to his side of the land. On the other side of the island, there was nothing.
Soon the first man prayed for a house, clothes, more food. The next day, like magic, all of these were given to him. However, the second man still had nothing.

Finally, the first man prayed for a ship, so that he and his wife would leave the island. In the morning, he found a ship docked at his side of the island.

The first man boarded the ship with his wife and decided to leave the second man on the island. He considered the other man unworthy to receive God's blessings, since none of his prayers had been answered. As the ship was about to leave, the first man heard a voice from heaven booming, "Why are you leaving your companion on the island?"
"My blessings are mine alone, since I was the one who prayed for them," the first man answered. "His prayers were all unanswered and so he does not deserve anything."

"You are mistaken!" the voice rebuked him. "He had only one prayer, which I answered. If not for that, you would not have received any of my blessings."
"Tell me," the first man asked the voice, "What did he pray for that I should owe him anything?" "He prayed that all your prayers be answered."

For all we know, our blessings are not the fruits of our prayers alone, but those of another praying for us.

Forwarded.. :wink: Thank you !

v-

Shy
06-14-2006, 03:13 AM
WOWWW.. Very good one Vasan :b:

Very very true.. :)

Frankly I am not sure if I would have prayed like the First man.. thanai pathiye think panaama ippadi oru charactera :00:..

Shy

valluvan
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks V-.

butterfly
10-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What does the worker gain from his toil?

10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men.

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

15 Whatever is has already been,
and what will be has been before;
and God will call the past to account

vasan
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
One of my fav passages.. :)

Though of late, I have been thinkin.. rr.. more like.. rr..

there is a time to work hard and graduate.. :)

Thank you Pattams !!

butterfly
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
One of my fav passages.. :)

Though of late, I have been thinkin.. rr.. more like.. rr..

there is a time to work hard and graduate.. :)

Thank you Pattams !!

U can & u will with the Blessings frm above :sm08:

`RAJU`
10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
எல்லா புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே !

goodcomplanboy
11-16-2006, 05:20 AM
Psalm 34:

1 I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.

2 My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

3 Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.

4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.

5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.

6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.

7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.

10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

12 Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,

13 keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from speaking lies.

14 Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.

15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their cry;

16 the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.

17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.

18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;

20 he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

21 Evil will slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The LORD redeems his servants;
no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.

butterfly
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
1) Dont miss the boat

2) Remember that we are all in the same boat.

3) Plan ahead. It wasnt raining when Noah built the ark.

4) Stay fit. When ur old, someone may ask u to do something really big.

5) Dont listen to critics, just get on with the job that needs to be done.

6) Build ur future on high ground.

7) For safety's sake, travel in pairs.

8) speed isnt always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.

9) when ur stressed, float a while.

10) Remember the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.

11) No Matter the storm, when ur with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.

suriyan80
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
thankssssssssssssssssss

vasan
04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Good ones pattams.. :sm08: :sm08:

Thanks for the article. :b:

v-

vasan_torrent
06-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Popeye,

I am glad you enjoy reading various religious texts. I do read every now and then texts of various religions (in english, to be exact). While I do not claim any sort of knowledge on religions other than christianity, I do believe that some aspects of Bible you have mentioned were wrongly understood.

It is true that there are several common factors across religions. So far as I know all of them encourage charity, piety, seeking God among other things. However, if you would read the bible in its entirety and you would also note that the person Jesus addresses as Father is not 'devine force' to which we lose our inviduality, but really a person who loves us and cares about us. That is to say, Christianity does speak of God as a person (with such qualities as love, anger and grace) as opposed to a cosmic force that pervades everything. And yes, we are NOT gods - that is to say, the Bible does not say that we are gods in the sense you have written (I am brahman)

More over it is not repeating Gods name, or feeling of Christconsicousness that 'salvation' is achieved. Indeed the Bible says nothing we can do will 'credit us' with salvation. Also what the bible describes as salvation is far different from what you have explained.

Anyways, instead of explaining my understanding of what Bible really teaches etc, I would rather leave it to you to explore it yourself. As it says in the Bible, Jesus came to reveal his father, not to clothe him in more mystery. Reading about him and what he taught (in its context and completeness) should explain much about God as Jesus taught.

Please do read, as much as you can. There are plenty of websites where Bible is freely available - in english, or tamil or most other indian languages too. Perhaps, one day we could have a longer discussion on these topics.

Good luck on the journey. :sm08:

still travelling v- :sm03: :D

ps: I am truly ashamed to say, I don't know that much about other religions. As they say, art is long, time is short. :( :( But I am glad you are reading various texts !! :clap:

vasan
06-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh.. I am sorry.

I thought the entire purpose of talking to each other (or posting) is that we could engage in a dialogue. I apologize if you found it to be a issue of debate.

Whichever way you choose, good luck. :b: :b:

Vasan

butterfly
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Success
The University of Chicago did a five-year study of leading artists, athletes, and scholars. The research was conducted by Dr. Benjamin Bloom, and was based upon anonymous interviews with the top twenty performers in various fields. These people included concert pianists, Olympic athletes, tennis players, sculptors, mathematicians, physicians, and a number of other achievers. Bloom and his team of researchers from the University of Chicago probed for clues as to how these people developed their skills. For a more complete picture, they even interviewed their families and teachers.
The report stated conclusively that it was not great talent, but drive and determination that led to the extraordinary success of these individuals. Bloom noted, "We expected to find tales of great natural gifts. We didn't find that at all. Their mothers often said it was another sibling who had the great talent". The report, I believe, underscores that for us to live a successful life in our world today, we must do so through drive and determination. The apostle Paul was able to say, after shipwrecks, beatings, political ostracizing, and disappointment, "Now the time has come for me to die. My life is like a drink offering being poured out on the altar. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have been faithful." (2 Timothy 4:6-7) He had lived a successful life. Why? Because he was determined to be faithful, despite his setbacks, disappointments, and trials. Are you determined to live the faith?

vasan
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Pattams.. :b: :b:

v-

Teena
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
This audio bible website is very nice.:)

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

butterfly
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
This audio bible website is very nice.:)

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

Thanks teena :sm08:.....will check it when i get home :)

anna :agree: