PDA

View Full Version : Bush Vs Kerry - Debate 1 - Who won?

vasan
10-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Bush Vs. Kerry : Presidential Debate - 1

Did any one watch? What you do thing? Who won the debate in american minds? Who would you have picked? Is there some thing significant, on policies or things that would affect our lives?

What you want to talk??

Vasan

RaasuKutty
10-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Kerry did well today... He tried to be clear..

Bush was kinda of a scratched tape-recorder today.. For most of Kerry's questions, his reply was "How would u expect Iraqi ppl, US forces and allies to go along with Kerry when he claimed it was wrong planning, wrong timing bla bla bla"... Bush definitively did not have an answer.. Infact, he never answered Kerry's question on

i) Why did he go to war when he promised war as the last option..???
ii) Why were the US forces more interested to protect oil ministry after capturing Iraq rather than protecting others..
iii) GWB's point of expecting aid from Halliburton before awarding contracts to them..

Kerry accepted that he made a mistake in changing stance in that $87Billion sanctions for Iraq and I felt he was tensed.. There were times he was scratching his hands hard watching GWB..

As far as policies, they have the same policy, atleast that's what they claim but they claim their difference to be a different implementing strategy..

Anyway, this is the first time I am watching this face to face show for a presidential election and had fun watching them.. Definitively looking forward for the other ones.. I guess they wud be more informative on policies...

vasan
10-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Kerry was lot more clear to day than he has ever been on campaign trail. Even his acceptance speech in Boston was not that great, but he summed up well..

Bush didn't come off strong either on his support for war or on his efforts. His advicers screwed it up, asking him to keep reminding every one about flip flops of Kerry. I think he should have been straight forward talking about his administration's efforts in clearing issues..

Kerry was not being honest, in my opinion. On the one hand, he wants to build and international coalition etc, on the other hand he does not want any one other than US to involve with North Korea. He threw in a lot of promises and totally sidesteped specifics. I thought he was really dilly dallying even the war in Iraq.. Other than saying he will support, win & bring back the troops, he said nothing about how is going to do it..

Overall, I think Kerry would have come out as a winner, at least for americans. I am still suspicious about him.. :P :P He may claim that Bush lied - or rather as he didn't want to use harsh words and called him not totally candid - a case of Kerryism - but I think Mr. Kerry is either made overly hand waving arguments, or not entirely straight..

v-

ps: Did you know that the Debates were available online? Direct video from Miami.. Probably this is the first time ever in the history.. :b: Coool.. !! (Just think if MK & JJ had something like this.. :sm12: :sm12: Oh what fun !!)...

silican
10-01-2004, 03:20 AM
(Just think if MK & JJ had something like this.. Oh what fun !!)...

I was talking about the same thing with my friends just a few mins back. Kerry was clear in stating his points. Bush did well though found beaten a couple of times.

Silican

RaasuKutty
10-01-2004, 03:27 AM
(Just think if MK & JJ had something like this.. Oh what fun !!)

OMG.. there wud be POTA arrests onstage and imagine abt the moderator after elections (or even the next morning), lot of ppl might pity him for his state..

anainar
10-01-2004, 03:35 AM
I did watch it but it is difficult to see what Americans think. To me Kerry came winner after the 90 minutes, stronger. Bush kind of walked away from many points that Kerry raised for the reason that they are uncomfortable zones. Bush kept talking about enemies and Americans but was not sure who the enemies are...

Kerry would have started to influence the undecided ones by this debate by asking the right questions to Bush for which Bush did not have answers. I think that is crucial. Two more debates to go.. Let us see who ends up in White house..

Cheers

Teena
10-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Kerry definetly came out as a strong debater with his Yale Skills showing up...he did look like Commander-In-Chief compared to GWB with such strong grasp of the Foreign Policy skills etc etc......The points he brought about America not being looked at with respect/awe,taking UN into decision making,last resort etc etc were made with style,composure and elegance......whether these are enough to win him votes is to be something only time can tell.....GWB is really tough to beat this time....He is really looked at as a True Amercian hero.....and if everything he tells is true.....thats a good thing!!

As I watched the debate and whoever ultimately is going to win.....I could not stop thinking about India/TN and the way our leaders are elected.....the difference between a developed nation and developing one is so clearly seen......!!