PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about our Indian schools.

Priyanka
10-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey guys!

In this topic share your views about Indian convent schools. Some say that they are torturing small children by giving them lots of homework, making them to carry lots of books, not granting even one day leave even for genuine reasons. Some argue that their approach is correct since children should be more talented in competitive environment in India.

What do you think? Share your views

Bluelotus
10-03-2004, 05:11 PM
what does a convent school mean...run by nuns?

Priyanka
10-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Convent schools doesn't mean that they are run by nuns. Who said that?

Say good quality schools, in other words central board and metriculation schools. For example Padma Sheshadhri, P.S.S.School, St. Johns school, Don Bosco (sorry if the spelling is not correct) etc.

anainar
10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Karhis,

Children is a very generic term. I presume you are talking about less than 12 year old before they become adolescents. For sure our schools torture young kids in the name of education. I went to a school and till I was in 3rd standard never learnt ABC or maths. It was all play, painting, rhymes, tamil speaking. I see my brothers kid who is just in LKG and he has to learn all kind of things and do homework. Instead of playing with nature, evolving an understanding himself he is busy learning how to write sentences. Pathetic system and on top of that he has to carry truck load of books to school and back.

I wish some kind of revamp of our child education system to come in place instead of making them rats running a rat race. They start running the rat race at 3 years and that does not stop till they retire. Give them a break.

Cheers

Priyanka
10-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Even I hold the same view anainar. You are correct Children means I mean the students below 5th standard. Namba schools ellam romba thaan azhumbu panraanga.

You know in Madras children should know abcd, 123, rhymes, mothers name, fathers name, identify few animals, birds etc. to get admission in good schools. Believe me they are conducting interviews even for pre-KG admission.

My daughter is just 1yr. and 10 months old. Schoolukkaaha vendi ippothulerndhe 123, abc ellam solli kudukka arambicchutten. Vera vazhi? Ellam nambale solli kodutthuttal appuram ethukku Pre-KG, LKG, UKG ellam? Directa 3rd or 4rth std. liye admission kudutthuda vendiyathu dhaane? Athoda mootai moottaiya books vera. Believe me in some schools they conduct special classes for summer vacations?

Government should take some step against these schools. Pavam namba ooru pasangallam pinju vayasulaiye romba kashtapadraanga.

ferny
10-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Torture!! Pure torture!! Well probably not all convent schools...but most i'm sure.

I went to a convent school for LKG. It was awful...I had so much homework to do that my parents had to help me. I was out of there in a flash.

I agree with both of you anainar and karthis. Children need some time to be children. There is sooo much competition to get into good colleges that parents start planning before their children begin to speak. My cousin is just 1yr old and his parents have already started school hunting. I'm being serious!! They go out every monday afternoon and talk to teachers from different schools.

Interview for pre-KG?? :00: where is the limit?? poor kiddies!

katteri
10-04-2004, 02:31 PM
AAAAh ella schoolum appadi illaa... I did my schoolings where most of my family members did , right from grand dad, Dad ...and me .Some of the teachers are strict and they use cane to thrash student who dont listen and dont study well.

I never seen a teacher in my life who had a good vision and many skills, one such example is he never treats students as student he treats them as brother(he s a tamil teacher)
Anna vanga , ippadi than solluvar.
When class is noisy he ll pick a chockpiece and write number 1 to 5. Then the next moment the class will be a pin drop silence.
Those who were caught , like failing to do homework, indisciplince,not able to answer the question will have to buy biscuits and distribute to the rest of the class. I was suprised by this action and didnt raise to question him until i got my TC.Then i approached him and asked, sir ippadi seyureengala nalla irukka??
Anne , nan avangala adikallama , illa avangal adikaa ennaku urimai than irukka...
Ippa nan biscuit vangittu vara solli irukken..
Nera avan avanoda mma kitta keppan, amma enna da kaasu nu ketpanag a, pathil solluvan rendu adi thittu vuzhum +advice solluvanga.
next appa turn.
Biscuit illama vantha nan clasaa la vida matten..
Athu mattum illama oru nalla samathavum varanum illaiya. athuna la than biscuit ;ellorum ore sappadu sappidanum nu solren...

Nanum once biscuit koduthu irukken...

Priyanka
10-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Katteri. Neenga solvathu sari thaan,. Intha maathiri teachers-um irukkathan irukkanga. Aana romba rare. Anal perumbaanmaiyaana teachers appad illai. Aana thanks to convent schools teachers students-a adikka koodathunnu strict rules kondu vandirukkanga. I dont know wether it applies to all schools., But in some schools there is a very strict rule that teachers should not beat children.

Ferny, naan sonnadhu unmai thaan. "Padma Sheshadhri"nu Madras-la oru school irukku. Andha school-la pre-kg admissionukku kooda pasangalukku interview vakkieraanga. I confidently know that because one of my close relatives daughter is studying in that school. I don't know about other schools.

Innum konja naal kazhicchu paarunga. Kozhandhai amma vaiyatthula irundhu velila varacchaiye interview vacchiduvaanga school admissionukku. Padupaavi pasanga. Indha poonaikkellam yaaru mani katradhu?

katteri
10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Enna panrathu ngaa Karthis...Poonai yaaru mani kattrathu athu ku time than enga???
Appadpi poguthu life.
Lets wait for a change.

vasan
10-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Convent schools doesn't mean that they are run by nuns. Who said that?

Convents are run by the nuns. :ee: Thats correct use of that word.

Unfortunately a 'convent' school in India now is, Blue, what you folks in the wonderland call as a Public School, (and in US, a private school).. Usually an English medium school, kinda patterned after the English Public Schools.. :P

Vasan

ps: My answer? Neutral..

sri_gan
10-04-2004, 06:09 PM
I will not agree with torture.

My opening statement is this:

If a kid study in India, that kid could study anywhere in the world.

Ofcourse there are minor brushes, but that can be optimized for the needs.

I trust the education I had and I respect all the teachers who thought me, So it can never be a torture.

I'm not neutral either, So I would prefer to say Approach is correct.

Priyanka
10-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Appo enna solla vareenga Sri. Pre-kg admissionukke interview vekkarathu correct-unnu solreengala!

Bluelotus
10-04-2004, 07:50 PM
May I just say ...

If you now find that children are being driven too hard in schools....well it is all to be blamed on parents. :evil:
the first thing my mother used to do at parents-teacher meetings was ask the teacher whether the amount of homework I was assigned was enough...or if I needed extra tuition.... :snooty:

Perhaps not you personally...but parents over the generations have increased the workload of childen...and now you complain.... :ahha:

well i don't actually understand the LKG and other grade systems you mentioned...but
we do have interviews and exams for 7 yrs olds, 11, 14 and 16 ...school entrance exams...

but you know what ...I would send my girls to the same school I attended, even if they will be made to work that little bit harder :Ksp:

but pls do send your children to a school where there is no corporal punishment :pray:

blue

PS: thank you vasan :wink:

Priyanka
10-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Correct-a sonneenga Blues. Schools ellam ippadi nadanthukkarathukku parents thaan karanam. Innum sonna examla fail aayittal illenna examla ozhunga mark varalengaratthukkaha students ellam suicide pannikkaraangale. Athukku 100% no no 200% parents than.

Kuzhandhailerndhe "Padippu dhaan olahame. Nee 99% mark vanginaa than olahatthula uyirodaiye irukka mudiyum" appadi ippadinnu brain wash panna vendiyathu. Appuram ethacchum nadandhadukkappura oooonu aluga vendiyathu.

Aiyaa padinga nalla padinga vendamnu naan sollalai. I am definitely not against quality education. But you too need some recreation, some rest don't you. Oru 5th standard varaikkum pasangalai pesaama vittudungalen! Athunaala enna kettu poidum? Athu varaikkum Rhymes, nalla habits, games ippadi ethaacchum lighta solli kudungalen.

anainar
10-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Cant help but recollecting one of the US TV shows called Everybody Loves Raymond, yesterday's episode. Raymond is a father of three children the eldest Alice being swamped by school homework. This girl goes around asking Raymond and his wife for help for more than a week. They come to know of the troubles their daughter is going through. So in the Parent teacher meeting, Ray puts across the point... I am using the same sentences as used by him...

"I was scared of school when I was young. I dont want my children also go through the same. I want them to love learning, getting excited about that. I setting up their future, we take away their present". The curriculum board listens and reduces the homework. Though it is a TV show, the words are so true. Ask any child whether they are excited about the school. I would rate the shcool good, only if the children are not scared of school. Excessive homework does make them feel bad about school and they look at ways and means of avoiding that.

Sri, this by no means is a vilification campaign for teachers who taught us. We do respect them and we are what we are because of them. But questioning them and the system for the betterment of the future is in no way breach of trust or disrespect.

Whether a kid could study in India or abroad is a different question. But whether the child enjoys his/hers childhood is of paramount importance. It is natural for a 4 year old to play in mud and build castles. Or play with insects. Tell me how many of those school going kids find time to do that? It is that I am talking about. Treat children as children. Stop making them adults when they should just be children.

Cheers

sri_gan
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Appo enna solla vareenga Sri. Pre-kg admissionukke interview vekkarathu correct-unnu solreengala!

Karthis,

PRE-Kg kku interview vaikiran naa athukku reason competition... enn ella parents um ore school le padikanumnu virumburanga... Quality nalla irrukurathala thane? Appadi oru situation varumbothu... Avan range increase pannuran.

Ithukaga Education Systema nenga eppadi kurai solla mudiyum.

Onnum illa, Foreign countries kku evalo peru varanga.... base education enga pannitu varanga? Inga vanthu padikka arambichavudane ethi vitta padigalai marakura mari pesurengale eppadi?

Enni padila eri mela potta.... mela irrunthu kilayum pakanum... ore vellai thirumbi vara vendiyathu irruntha enna pannuvenga straighta kuthipingala?

Priyanka
10-05-2004, 02:41 AM
"I was scared of school when I was young. I dont want my children also go through the same. I want them to love learning, getting excited about that. I setting up their future, we take away their present". The curriculum board listens and reduces the homework. Though it is a TV show, the words are so true. Ask any child whether they are excited about the school. I would rate the shcool good, only if the children are not scared of school. Excessive homework does make them feel bad about school and they look at ways and means of avoiding that.

Well said anne. Neenga sonnathu 100% unmai. Children should love to go to school. Kaningarathu thaanaa kaniyanum. Thadiyaal adicchu entha pazhatthaiyum kaniya vekka mudiyaathu.

Inga vanthu padikka arambichavudane ethi vitta padigalai marakura mari pesurengale eppadi?

Aiyaa Sri avarhale. Naan eri vantha padihalai naan marakkavillai. Nandraaha ninaivirukkirathu. Naan yeri vantha padihalileye indru en ponnum eri varapohiraale endru thaan naane kavalai paduhirene. Naan anubavittha tortures-ai en ponnum anubavikka vendume endru thaan vedhanai paduhiren.

Enna pa pesareenga neenga? Kozhandhai porandhavudaneye adhu mandaiyila padippai pottu thini thininu thinikkanuma? Atleast oru 5 years varaikkum mazhalai selvangalai konjam avarhal pokkukku vittal thaan enna kudiyaa muzhuhi poividum.

Ungalukku ondru theriyumaa? Ennudaiya appa school-la serndhu kooda padikkalai. Enga oor sondha gramatthula thinnai pallikoodatthula thaan padicchar. Aanal avar vazhkaiyile miha periya positionukku vandhu retire aanavar. Enga appavukku Englishla abcd-ye 5th standard la than solli kudukka arambicchaanga. Enga amma +2 varaikkum tamil medium school-la padicchu innikku oru periya doctor. Enga amma kooda porandhavanga yaarum degree kooda pass pannalai. Athukku munnadiye government bank-la velai kadaicchu serndhuttanga. Ivangallam convent school-la summer vacation special class padiccha munnukku vandhaanga vazhkaiyile. Indha maadhiri innum etthanaiyo udharanangal. Ithukkellam enna solreenga?

Ungala maadiriye ella parents-um ninaikkarathaala thaan innikki schoolsla ellam ivvalavu azhumbu pandraanga.

dinesh
10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
If you want your kid to enter IIT or IIM and go do a PHd in the US and start working with a 6 figure salary, then you have to start torturing them as early as possible, cos not all the kids are naturally bright. Parents want their kids to acheive all the stuff they failed to acheive, and that's why we see so much information being stuffed into kids as early as possible. The attitude is far more common within asian parents compared to their western counterparts.

Shy
10-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Sorry .. eppo thaan konjam time kedaichathu.. 1-2 weeks eppadi thaan.. konjam workload :(

Back to the topic...

My vote - approach is correct !

As sri said.. A student from India can survive anywhere on earth, because its the type of education we get back home.

I dont think its torture.. The interview is because we are the most populated country in the world and we have millions of people running towards the same school for a quality education. How can the the school withstand everyone of them? Athuku thaan interview and all those stuff. Athula enakku pudikaathathunu onnu irukuna.. educated parents ooda kids thaan first preference.. so oru padikaathavan avan childrenai anga padika vaikanumnu evaloo kashta pataalum nadakaathu.. antha money related stuff oliyanum.. antha kid ooda talent parthu yaeduthukanum.. parents soli tharannum, so they shud be educated appadi ellam sonna.. appo teachersnu neenga yaethuku irukeenga? Thats the only problem in our education system right now, i mean the schools basically.. poor country thaan.. but evanga panra bandha irukae.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other than that.. I say our educational system is the best. Kids are like kalimannu... playing timela they can play and do all the stuff they like.. but chinna vayasula namba athai oru goal'ooda valartha thaan they will know what they shud be in future... Ennoda mama ponnu shes in her 2nd STD.. central system... Friday exam'na mondayvae appa.. naan padichutaen.. can u verifynu solra.. mama poi play its not that a big dealnu sonna.. appa, I will play ofcourse, but want to finish this of firrst.. ithu not a big deal, but eppo irunthae preplan pani eppadi padichaathaanae.. neenga solra mathiri IAS aaga mudiyum.. eppovae lethargica irunthu palakeeta, then i cant change myself later rightnu kaekura... I was shocked to see this. The reason I am saying is.. kids nalla jollya valarathaan seiraanga..not everyone is prisoned at home when they are young, padi padinu.. but at the same time, they shud be given the taste of the reality then and there ellaina appuram futurela avanga thaan kashta paduvaanga.. we are moving to a more competitive world.. eppovae .01, .02 cutoffla eppadi ellam college seat ellama poorathu.. cha konjam padichu iruntha i would have got that seatnu avanga thaan disappoint aavanga .... we as parents shud bring them up so that they can withstand and face thos competitive world.. oru 7th, 8th gradela.. yaenda always playing poi padinu appo sona.. appo ellam nalla play panrachae onnum solalai nee eppo matum ennai padi padinu solrae.. yaen eppadi irukeenganu they will ask back..

I am not saying oru pinchu kulanthaiyaa irukarchae ethai padi athai padi.. ellaina unakku kedaikaathu eppadi sola solalai.. play panra time thavira when into studies.. they shud see the full importance of that and be fully involved.. angae poi.. if u are interested in play do that toona.. appo eppo thaan padikarthu pasanga sollunga.. eppadi choice kuduthu kuduthu thaan.. highschoola vitu poodarathu.. ellai 30 years varaikkum degree vangarathunu americans irukaanga.. but by 21 every educated indian is atleast in a way ready to stand in his own legs..

More to come as we proceed....

Shy

katteri
10-05-2004, 02:36 PM
M...En ella appa ammavum avanga pasanga niraiya salary vanganum nu aasai padurangaa..En oru nalla payan illa nalla poonu varanum en ninaikaa mattenguranga.

U need to produce great people like Swami vivekananda, Bose, warrior Shivaji etc.
India badly needs a leader who can take the country up...........

Priyanka
10-05-2004, 02:45 PM
M...En ella appa ammavum avanga pasanga niraiya salary vanganum nu aasai padurangaa..En oru nalla payan illa nalla poonu varanum en ninaikaa mattenguranga.

U need to produce great people like Swami vivekananda, Bose, warrior Shivaji etc.

Well said katteri. :clap: Padippu onnu thaan vazhkaiyennu parents ninaikkarathu thaan idhukkellam karaname. Etthanai schools students-oda morality illai personality development patthi kandukkaraanga? Very few.

Shy
10-05-2004, 02:54 PM

Salarykkunu yaar sonna katteri.. nalaikku antha paiyanoo ponnoo..sonatha kaalu.. thanooda lifela olunga lead pananumnu thaanae aasai paduraanga.. U can be a politician or a good leader or go in spiritual line. whatever it is..but athai chose panrathukku oru mindset venum ellaiyaa... oruthanai shape panrathu thaan padippu.. athuku appuram antha lifea lead panrathu avan kaila thaan irukku..

Lets talk reality.. Swami vivekananda ellai bose ellai shivajiyaa yaar veena irukalaam.. thats something u are.. but that has nothing to do with education.. Brothers and Sistersnu solanumnu oru mannerism avarkku vanthathu antha padippu naala thaanae? First know what the world has for you. Then once u are ready, which is at 21 or so.. then choose what u want to become..

Shy

katteri
10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
appadi illanga Shy,
Nan mela sonna 3 leaders ellorumee china vayasula avanga amma advice pannathala than avanga periya aalangna
Chinna vayasulaa solrathu than manasula niikum ...21 la vanthu aanmegam, ellam theedurnu varathu. pogavum mudiyathu..Rombha kastam. For eg If sachin parent didnt allow him to play india wud nt hav got sachin, they found a special talent in him they encouraged and moulded him to become a star and a role model for youngsters

Shy
10-05-2004, 03:22 PM
appadi illanga Shy,
Nan mela sonna 3 leaders ellorumee china vayasula avanga amma advice pannathala than avanga periya aalangna
Chinna vayasulaa solrathu than manasula niikum ...21 la vanthu aanmegam, ellam theedurnu varathu. pogavum mudiyathu..Rombha kastam. For eg If sachin parent didnt allow him to play india wud nt hav got sachin, they found a special talent in him they encouraged and moulded him to become a star and a role model for youngsters

Neenga solrathu romba sari katteri.. But athukunu sachin padikaama ellaiyae.. he was more into sports because he had a good talent in that and also did his education sidela ellaiyaa.. ofcourse parents will encourage whats more interest to the kid.. Naan athai solavaralai... chinna vayasula the kid is open to everything.. as a parents padippunu onnai namba tharanum.. but as the kid grows athuku yaethula ishtam irukoo athai pudichu they will come up in life. chinna vayasulaiyae athai decide panavaika mudiyaathunu solraen..

Shy

sri_gan
10-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Katteri,

I agree with the what you said on the leadership Qualities. Siru thuli perum vellam nu sollura mari appa amma oda involvement, Nalla teacher oda teaching and a good friendship could take a person to any level he/she wants. I strongly believe in that.

Mela sonna moonum equal propotion le irrukum pothu any barrier could be handled by a kid, ithule onnu rendu muran ahumpothu antha kid oda life different direction le pohuthu, so athukku education system eppadi poruppu aha mudiyum.

Aiyaa Sri avarhale. Naan eri vantha padihalai naan marakkavillai. Nandraaha ninaivirukkirathu. Naan yeri vantha padihalileye indru en ponnum eri varapohiraale endru thaan naane kavalai paduhirene. Naan anubavittha tortures-ai en ponnum anubavikka vendume endru thaan vedhanai paduhiren.

Enna pa pesareenga neenga? Kozhandhai porandhavudaneye adhu mandaiyila padippai pottu thini thininu thinikkanuma? Atleast oru 5 years varaikkum mazhalai selvangalai konjam avarhal pokkukku vittal thaan enna kudiyaa muzhuhi poividum.

Ungalukku ondru theriyumaa? Ennudaiya appa school-la serndhu kooda padikkalai. Enga oor sondha gramatthula thinnai pallikoodatthula thaan padicchar. Aanal avar vazhkaiyile miha periya positionukku vandhu retire aanavar. Enga appavukku Englishla abcd-ye 5th standard la than solli kudukka arambicchaanga. Enga amma +2 varaikkum tamil medium school-la padicchu innikku oru periya doctor. Enga amma kooda porandhavanga yaarum degree kooda pass pannalai. Athukku munnadiye government bank-la velai kadaicchu serndhuttanga. Ivangallam convent school-la summer vacation special class padiccha munnukku vandhaanga vazhkaiyile. Indha maadhiri innum etthanaiyo udharanangal. Ithukkellam enna solreenga?

Ungala maadiriye ella parents-um ninaikkarathaala thaan innikki schoolsla ellam ivvalavu azhumbu pandraanga

Annachi ennanovo sollurenga.... Appa amma ellam ivalothan padichanga avlothan padichanga nu... anna nenga evalo padichu irrukenga? Athu than matteru.... :ee:

Ithule irrunthu enna theriyuthu... kammiya padichavangalukku padippoda arumai theriyuthu... illaina ungala inga vanthu ippadi pesa mudiyuma... illa kekuren karthi pathil sollunga... sollama nanga ungala intha patti mandrathula vida porathu illai ....

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Nalla padippaiyum padichuputtu.... ithu seri illai athu seri illai nu sollikittu irrukurathe namma annachi karthi oda polapa poochuthu.... :sm12:

P.S: Pattimadram Slang le write panna try pannuren, feel free to comment If i'm going overboard.

ashokcsn_2000
10-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Ithellam paatha.. naan schollukku ponathu thaan nyaabagam varuthu..
5 subject ovvonukku ovvoru textbook, classwork notebook and homework notebook.. ellam thookittu poven.. appo appo timtable pragaaram ellam konduvaromaannu vera check pannuvaanga...

Enna pannalu.. pasanga scholukku eduthutu pora booksoda load kammi panna ethaachum vazhi panniaaganum.....

My view coincides with that of shy regarding going to school and all that a kid has to read and stuff..... world romba competiveaa aagittu varathu... lot s of thing to learn and do... illainaaa.. periyavanaa aagiapparam kazhta padaanum...

This does not mean that we should not encourage kids from pursuing their interests.. when they get into school.. it is not only that they start learning how to read and write they also get o know a whole lot of other stuff, including sports and other extra curricular activities. Without aproper edcation system they wont have access to that... and as far as I know most schools ofer children these activities too.... after that there is a huge responsibility on the side of the parents to identify the skills and let the kidds progreess in other fiels if they excel in that..... and to restrict them if they find that the interest is just superficial and is not bound to have an impact on the child's career or future...

But as I said... it is all necessary to keep up in a competitive environment and we have grown up in such and environment... and that is one primary reason why most of us are successful....

anainar
10-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Looks like I am against the formidible combo of Sri and Shy. Need to get all the support I need from the Neutral players. :wink: :wink:

Any one who have played with children will know how inquisitive they are. They are natural learners. When they are 3-4 years old they learn many things whether we teach them or not. My brother who lived in Tuticorin for ages went to Pune. He had a 3 year old daughter. She never learnt anything except Tamil. She goes there and in less than 3 months she was fluent enough to teach Marathi to me when I went to work in Pune. And believe me, Marathi is not a subject in the school. So, children learn things whether you teach them or not.

About setting goal for the children, who are we to set goals for them? It is a terrible mistake that every parent do. Children need time to be themselves. A 4 year old need not worry about what he/she is going to do 20 years down the line. For that matter I never knew or thought I will be an engineer writing software for motion simulation sitting in 10000 miles from my home town when I was 4 years. I did not know ABCD or multiplication tables. I was busy pulling the pony tail of my friend or playing with marbles.

So let children be themselves before they get bogged down in all the nitty gritties and rat race that they have to run for the rest of their lives. If our education systems is the best in the world, why do we have the least number of patents owned compared to other developed countries? Why do have very less number of innovators? Dont tell me it is the system/govt. It is that our education system is so tailored to spoon feeding. Our system does not encourage creativity. We are happy if our children walk down the beaten track but cannot tolerate if they deviate from that.

Shy, I am sure that your niece will be a role model for many of her peers. But she is too young to get a dose of reality. That is all I am saying. If she has already got it, that is great. But why to force some child to get a dose of it, when he/she cant grasp it? One movie character really impressed me. Have you seen Rain Man? Dustin Hoffman comes as some one who is great with numbers and patterns. But he hardly recognises how many cents make up a dollar. The point is talent need not be looked through the prism of "Reality" or "salary". Our education system does that precisely. Our parents do that everyday. So, stop looking at children as something like களி மண், need to be moulded.Yes, certain things they need to know. But not some thing that conflicts with them being children.

Cheers

deepasri
10-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I think that our Indian schooling system has to change altogether for Kindergarten and primary schools. They are over burdening the little ones by giving too much homework and the syllabus is also very heavy.

There is no concept like "Studying while Playing". Kids need to be taught in such a way that they should learn in the way they like it. But Indian schools are trying to put too many things in the same time.

If we look in to the actual outcome, only few kids are learning up to the standard set by the schools. Most of the others cannot cope up with the other kids and they start developing inferiority complex in that small age. So, how come these kids can compete in the competitive world when they grow up.

Moreover Parents want their kid to be multi-talented. So, Apart from this school burden, they put their kid in
1. Music class (including instruments)
2. Dance class
3. Karate class
4. Swimming lessons
5. Abacus Math class and this list will go on and on and on....

Imagine as if a 6 year old kid. You will be overwhelmed by all these activities apart from the schooling.

There are plenty of years left for these kids to learn. But both schools and parents want their kid to be an IAS the very next day after joining the Kindergarten.

So, I would say Indian schools are torturing the young children.

sri_gan
10-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Any one who have played with children will know how inquisitive they are. They are natural learners. When they are 3-4 years old they learn many things whether we teach them or not. My brother who lived in Tuticorin for ages went to Pune. He had a 3 year old daughter. She never learnt anything except Tamil. She goes there and in less than 3 months she was fluent enough to teach Marathi to me when I went to work in Pune. And believe me, Marathi is not a subject in the school. So, children learn things whether you teach them or not.

This is true Iyanaar, But the fact remains the same for kids learning bad and good things.

If every parent starts thinking Kids will learn on their own.... its like leaving the kid in the middle of nowhere.

About setting goal for the children, who are we to set goals for them? It is a terrible mistake that every parent do. Children need time to be themselves. A 4 year old need not worry about what he/she is going to do 20 years down the line. For that matter I never knew or thought I will be an engineer writing software for motion simulation sitting in 10000 miles from my home town when I was 4 years. I did not know ABCD or multiplication tables. I was busy pulling the pony tail of my friend or playing with marbles.

Well, its a good thought on Independence but responsibility over rules the fact under the basis of Kids Growth.

So let children be themselves before they get bogged down in all the nitty gritties and rat race that they have to run for the rest of their lives. If our education systems is the best in the world, why do we have the least number of patents owned compared to other developed countries? Why do have very less number of innovators? Dont tell me it is the system/govt. It is that our education system is so tailored to spoon feeding. Our system does not encourage creativity. We are happy if our children walk down the beaten track but cannot tolerate if they deviate from that.

Number of Patent and Innovations doesn't really prove anything about the education system except the fact of business knowledge. There are lot of innovators came out of India and still did patent outside India for the business needs (Bose Speakers a simple example....) So it has nothing to do with the education system.

Dissection .03 will be answered by Shy akka.

I think that our Indian schooling system has to change altogether for Kindergarten and primary schools. They are over burdening the little ones by giving too much homework and the syllabus is also very heavy.

There is no concept like "Studying while Playing". Kids need to be taught in such a way that they should learn in the way they like it. But Indian schools are trying to put too many things in the same time.

If we look in to the actual outcome, only few kids are learning up to the standard set by the schools. Most of the others cannot cope up with the other kids and they start developing inferiority complex in that small age. So, how come these kids can compete in the competitive world when they grow up.

Moreover Parents want their kid to be multi-talented. So, Apart from this school burden, they put their kid in
1. Music class (including instruments)
2. Dance class
3. Karate class
4. Swimming lessons
5. Abacus Math class and this list will go on and on and on....

Imagine as if a 6 year old kid. You will be overwhelmed by all these activities apart from the schooling.

There are plenty of years left for these kids to learn. But both schools and parents want their kid to be an IAS the very next day after joining the Kindergarten.

DeepaSri,

What you are saying is unacceptable, no parent is going to expect their kid to be IAS the next moment. I've answered about this in my first reply itself.

A simple response which becomes a theorm now:

A kid who had the education in India can have education anywhere and its not vice versa. :sm12:

Bluelotus
10-05-2004, 09:34 PM
By looking at all of you, I'm sure that the Indian education system did a wonderful job.

however children are children and you must remember that they're creative side must be encouraged too.
In fact it is a known fact that children learn better through play than by Parrot learning huge amount of texts.
What you may consider play is not exactly play for children ( I do refer to those under 5yrs ). they are learning new skills while having fun.

yes the world is competitive ...but must you drop the babe straight into murky reality?
why can they not live in a make believe word till they are ready to come out. Trust me they will come out...a child's natural inquisitiveness will guarantee that.

It's not just in India that schools and pre-schools have long waiting lists...here too in the not so populated Europe we have lists so long it discourages parents.
I mean a waiting list for nursery school sounds like the height of madness ...but reality is not quite as sane as one expects.

Organisational skills, such as exhibited by Shy akka's cousin, are not just learnt in schools...you develop these skills over time...and the school imho doesn't play a major role in that.

before sending your little ones to school ..check and make sure they do offer a wide range of extra curricular activities...which will stimulate them ..and not turn them into mere robots ...
I do know that not all graduates of the Indian educational system are robots :wink:
but not all children have a will or desire to be an individual...they may lose their uniqueness during all the sessions of rot learning. children need to think for themselves ..they need to taste the rain drops, sing with the birds too...not just know their algebra like the back of their hands

and frankly ...abt the books...have they not heard of lockers yet?

vasan
10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
and frankly ...abt the books...have they not heard of lockers yet?

Child,

Stop, right there.. This ain't no South Kensington.. :sm12: :sm12: (yeah, my fav place, very useful in pulling some legs :Ksp:..)

Infrastructure in schools is really sad. Especially the govt schools. Hardly there is place to sit down and study.. Till now, all the class rooms in my school - from 6-8 standards or grades - have no doors.. :).. Good roof, but only half walls (where we are supposed to have windows are empty space.. ).

Bathrooms and such are another story..

Ofcourse the schools in cities (Madras & so on) aren't that bad. And the 'convents' are much better.. But lockers are never heard of - unless its a resident or boarding school.

Vasan

ps: Still neutral..

ps: Nice to complain about moms & dads and school. But do you know about competition? In most cases where you study is pretty much what you end up as - unless something completely different happens. There is a good reason, why engg students want to goto IIT, parents want to put kids in best schools, and teachers/system want to limit the kids enrolled to 'best' candidates..

ps: Do I condone it? No. Do I like it? Definitely not. Do I blame the school & parents? No again.. Its the sad fact of the times we live in..

ps: Shanti Niketan might be an admirable system. If you are loaded.

anainar
10-05-2004, 09:52 PM
..they need to taste the rain drops, sing with the birds too...not just know their algebra like the back of their hands

Nothing makes more sense than this statement Blue. Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap: This is what precisely the education system do. There is a time for learning Algebra and Differential calculus. When I studied calculus in my HSC, I hardly knew its importance. But I learnt any way. But only when I started doing engineering, it dawned on me the importance of calculus. Imagine trying to teach calculus to a 6 year old just because he/she has to learn it in Engineering.

When I read about children these days I understand a lot. A little thing... I was amazed at how they learn about gravity. My son was trying to climb on the sofa which is above his waist. My wife was yelling at him from inside, "Dont climb, you will fall down". I was also yelled at for just standing there. I was watching this first hand. He tried initially and figured out he cannot just climb. So, he goes on his toes, bends forward putting all his weight on his belly and the sofa, then lifts his leg and rolls over. Gives a big smile after doing that. All those preaching "Goal setting" talkers, tell me how did he learn that?? No one taught him about gravity, weight balance, that he can increase his reach by going on toes. He set his own goal of climbing the sofa and did it. And the satisfaction he got was reflected in the smile. Now he is trying to climb the round table which is proving to be difficult because it is not straight for him to roll over. So he understands form. I never told him this is straight line, this is circular.

The point is, children have the inherent ability to learn. Provide them material. Give them support. But dont thrust multiplication tables or algebra on them. Or give them excessive home work that they cant be children, learning things themselves.

Cheers

Bluelotus
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
PS:
hmm okie... :think: but thattha you said it was a fee paying school :think:
shouldn't they have better facilities than the local comprehensive?

I do realise about competition...and can undertsand the reason why schools only take the creme de la creme...they can thus maintain a high standard of achievement ...and do not have to work so hard with the pupils...

PPS: pulling legs differs from pulling ...you do realise that don't you thattha dear :ahha:

sri_gan
10-05-2004, 10:00 PM
The point is, children have the inherent ability to learn. Provide them material. Give them support. But dont thrust multiplication tables or algebra on them. Or give them excessive home work that they cant be children, learning things themselves.

For Teens:

Well, If you agree to the fact of inherent ability, it includes every single fact of how a perception is done when it was new to kid, meaning about smoking, most of the kids start smoking 'cause of curiosity in other terms getting a creative thought about smoking and using their ability to learn.

If a parent leave a kid on its own, its going to ruin that kid's life and its a known fact.

For kiddos:

Let say there is a food particle ( a round candy) is by the floor a kiddo will eat that first, next time if there is something else which is not a candy is there by natural ability its going to swallow the same. By Nature any mother will be protective, it cannot be exactly implied to a father.

By the rules of Protection for a kid we rule out this example.

Priyam2004
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
My comments regarding Indian Schools...well...I'm afraid I have no comments...cos' all of my schooling was here...so pass!

However in regard to pushing kiddies into study pressure at a very young age...that's wrong! Reasons...small children learn more practically...they tend to learn more in the school playground (outside playing) than in the classroom. If you push children into books at early ages you will find that as they grow they will lack in common sense. Common sense is something that children gain having 'really' doing something...not reading abt it. Kiddies need to learn abt their senses by themselves. Its all good and well if you tell a child "Don't touch boiling water...it will burn your fingers" a small toddler may listen to you, but surely will not understand...but, if the child 'touches' the boiling water...he/she will pull out his/her fingers before the water burns his/her fingers - now he/she has learnt the effect for real, and has 'also' learnt how to react to it...and will not dare to do it again!

If you put the study pressure on little children...they maybe bright as far as education is concerned...but they will need the practical sense to survive in the real world. They cannot carry a book around with them all the time! :P

Let the kiddies play when they should...through this play (which they will surely enjoy) they will learn a lot too, so...please don't push young children into books...they have plenty of time to do that later...!!!!!!

Bluelotus
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
hmm Sri,
we're not saying no guidance...

the child is a child...and thus require guidance form adults...if it didn't it would be considered an adult.
but some things they need to explore on their own and develop certain skills themselves without being spoon fed

vasan
10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Blue & Anainar,

Yes, blue.. The fee paying schools have better facilities (one reason parents rush to enroll their 'brats'.. ), and they just load the students up - all efforts simply targeted to get the best scores in whatever the GCSE or equivalent exam and get to some professional or whatever schools.

The competition is limitless and no comparison to anything any other country except perhaps china might offer. Simply because other places have a number of good places where student could goto.. in India such is not the case (ratio of schools to students wanting admission is really low). And while in Europe you could pursue a career studying art history - thats a road to no where, unless you are from Nehru family.. :P (or something like that.. !).

And yeah.. Stopping to smell the roses is a good thing. But is it really possible? I know so, yet, because of the lifestyles and competition, all I know is if I don't sweat it out, I am going to get into trouble. Whats worse is, it is more than possible that if they don't drive their kids this hard, may be the opportunities will not arise for any normal careers for them. As much as we all want the kids to have some reasonable childhood, its also important that they have some future.

Thats why. Note though that I am not condoning this load on kids. On the contrary, I am trying to explain the raison d'etre for the current situation.. If any change has to come, it ought to come with time, and understanding.

Sri & Shy,

No matter what the justification is for using the extremes, it is still a torture. No less. The amount of workload and pressure is not good at all.

Vasan

vasan
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
If you push children into books at early ages you will find that as they grow they will lack in common sense.

Which reminds me.. :think:

There are some children absent from Tamil school for a long time.. :P :P Nalla adi podalaama?? :P :P Ethaavathu online punishment system kandupidikkanum.. :P

Vasan

ps: sorry about the side track.. :)
ps2: Children.. :ee: Just kidding.. Know you guys are busy.. :sm03:

anainar
10-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Sri,

I am not worried about workload of teens. They are kind of grown up enough to take a dose of reality and hardwork. So, in that case we are in sync.

My concern is only with children less than 7-8 years old being pushed to the limits of bookish knowledge.

About your argument about candy or stone, yes, we need to be protective. But should not stop him/her from learning what is candy and what is stone. It goes a long way in making the child do its own things, instead of looking upto the parents everytime. Of course mothers are protective. No denying of that. I did not complain about that. My complaint is only about thrusting so called knowledge on them when they themselves are gaining it, some way or the other.

Cheers

butterfly
10-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Karthis,
Ungha question is related to which age group?...or are u talking in general about Indian school system?...specify panna nalla irukum...

deepasri
10-06-2004, 04:05 AM
I dont complain about the school system once these kids reach their middle school. My concern is all about starting from Kindergarten through primary schools.

First of all the education system should be changed in such a way that almost 75 to 80% of the kids that starts their kindergarten should love to Learn(படிப்பு மேல் காதல்/ஈடுபாடு).

Current education system has been formulated to satisfy the parents need but not the kids in mind. If we need to make India 100% literate, then this current system has to be changed (because our over all literacy rate is around 50% even after 57 years of independence).

As I told earlier, this education system satisfies the need of a bright students (10%). But there are 30 to 40% average and 50 to 60% below average students has been ignored completely.

"Quality is what counts but not the Quantity"

When 90% of the kids can't cope up with the 10% of bright students, then what is the point in adding too much burden(syllabus) to these kids. Because of this kids hate to go to school. Education should be for everyone not for the brightest students.

Then you can ask how can we send our kids to IIT, BITS or any other premier institutes. As I told earlier this system has to change and should allow the brightest students to take the next standard classes (i.e. a brightest student from the 2nd std should be allowed to take 3rd std classes). So, these brightest kids can complete their higher secondary Schooling by their 14 or 15 years whereas our 90% average students will complete their higher secondary by thier 17 or 18 years. Therefore the so called brightest students can go to IIT and complete their degree by 18 or 19 years and start competing for the good jobs whereas our average students will be enjoying his life in college until his 22 years(In this senario I love to be an average student rather than a the bright one, because I am not pressurized to learn too many things at my earliest age and I learnt almost everything like my brighter counterpart but I took 4 years more than him/her). No big deal, brightest students got his/her hand on the pie little earlier than his fellow kindergarten schoolmates.

By this way we can reduce the school drop out students. Again "Education should be for everyone". If we want to achieve this goal, then the burden has to be reduced.

So, my argument is Indian schools are torturing the young children.

Priyanka
10-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Annachi ennanovo sollurenga.... Appa amma ellam ivalothan padichanga avlothan padichanga nu... anna nenga evalo padichu irrukenga? Athu than matteru....

Ithule irrunthu enna theriyuthu... kammiya padichavangalukku padippoda arumai theriyuthu... illaina ungala inga vanthu ippadi pesa mudiyuma... illa kekuren karthi pathil sollunga... sollama nanga ungala intha patti mandrathula vida porathu illai ....

Anne Sri avarhale. Naan annaacchiyaa? Modhalla ennoda avatar kizha enna sex potrukken. Athai modhalla gavaninga. Athukkappuram ennai patthi comment pannallam.

Logicala oru kelvi ketkuren. AQthukku mothalla bathil sollunga. Here are two options

1)Allow the children to play, enjoy and learn while they play upto say 3rd or 4th standard and gradualy increase the severity of education and be really strict when they go to 10th standard.

2)Torture the kids from pre-kg itself.

Just for the sake of arguing argue pannama intha rendu options-aiyum nalla yosicchu paarunga. Definitely all kids and most of the parents will only accept the 1st option. I challenge there will no difference in social or intellectual develepment of a kid. More over the kid that studies in first option type of school will sure-ly shine better in their lives.

Mothalla neenga ellarum ennoda kelviyaiye seriya purinjundeengalannu theriyalai. REad that first. I did not mention students are tortured. I meant children that is students from pre-kg to 3rd or 4th standard. When it comes to 12th or 10th standard no doubt our schools are giving excellent performance. I accept all the schools should be really strict.

Aanal ennoda kelviyellam ithu thaan. Why they torture small children with tons of homework and make them carry tons of books? The answer is simple. They want to make money. Majority of the people think that only if they torture their child from the begining their kids will come up in their life. One of the examples is MR. Srigan. And the schools are taking advantage of it. They are becoming more and more strict to satisfy these kind of parents and earn money.

Srigan Naan ketta kelvikku neenga bathil sollalenna naan ungalai vidaporadhillai. Parkalaam.

butterfly
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
My daughter is just 1yr. and 10 months old. Schoolukkaaha vendi ippothulerndhe 123, abc ellam solli kudukka arambicchutten. Vera vazhi?

Karthis,
Indha link try panni parungo
http://pbskids.org/caillou/games/

Making learning as much as fun is better...than forcing them to sit & write...1 yr 10 month vilyadara time...& they are so cute in that age trying to make sentences...If i find any other links will let u know...

vasan
10-09-2004, 08:37 PM
My daughter is just 1yr. and 10 months old. Schoolukkaaha vendi ippothulerndhe 123, abc ellam solli kudukka arambicchutten. Vera vazhi?

:P :P

Karthis... its not necessarily for school.. this is the time when kids learn alphabets, and numbers...

I learned tamil alphabets when I was 2 years old.. Dad used to write huge alphabets on the floor, and I have to arrange small stones or tamarind seeds on the letters just the way he wrote it.. :P :P :P

True, I was the dumbest and slowest of all my siblings and finally got it when I was like 5 years or so.. but I did start very early..

And I didn't even go to any 'decent' school.. :doh: I mean, not to one of those fancy schools that require you to take exams. When I first joined, the teacher who enrolled me (in my school there was only one clerk, so teachers did the enrolling jobs).. She gave a hug and a kiss (not only because she is my grandma's cousin but she did for all the kids.. :wink:).. And they even gave us candies for the first few days.. so we won't cry and run off to home.. :P :P :P

Don't worry. Even if you want to put the kutty in Shanti Niketan (where things are taught so much different from the schools we talk about here), you would still want to teach your kid to write and spell and count.. :)

Its good.. :b:

v-

ps: Tell your little girl, that vasan thaththaa said a hi.. :) Give her a hug from me..

ps2: Hmm.. looks like you have also learned a lot of things from your daughter..:think: Now I know why you ask questions.. Like daughter, like mom.. :P :P :P (achoochoo.. just kidding paa.. kid paththi pesinathaala.. kidding.. :wink: adikka varaatheenga.. :pray: )

Priyanka
10-10-2004, 04:21 AM
ps: Tell your little girl, that vasan thaththaa said a hi.. Give her a hug from me..

ps2: Hmm.. looks like you have also learned a lot of things from your daughter.. Now I know why you ask questions.. Like daughter, like mom.. (achoochoo.. just kidding paa.. kid paththi pesinathaala.. kidding.. adikka varaatheenga.. )

Thank you very much vasan. Iwill surely convey your hi and your hug to her.

What you told is 100% true vasan. I learn a lot of things from my daughter. Net-la search panni search panni English rhymes ellam katthindurukken. Aana believe me enakku abc, 123 ellam munnadiye theriyumaakkum.

anainar
10-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Aana believe me enakku abc, 123 ellam munnadiye theriyumaakkum.

This is news to me Karthis. I thought you did not know abcd. :sm12: :sm12:

Very true that we learn a lot from children. Especially if you observe every thing they do, the expressions they make after doing/learning something, it is so gratifying to be with a child. How small things can make a child so happy!!! And when do we lose that character??

Give your daughter our hugs and kissess too.

Unga ponnuku flu shot pottuteengala? Do that first thing now that it is flu season.

Cheers

Priyanka
10-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Priyanka....Priyanka.... vasan thathavum anainar mamavum unakku Hi! soldranga paaaru!

Thanks vasan and anainar. My daughters name is Priyanka, in short priya. She also gives her hugs and kisses to both of you

Yes anainar, I gave flu shot for priya.

vasan
10-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Awesome... Choo very sweet.. :P

Priyanka is a lovely name, Karthis.. :) She sounds delightful !!

Nalla velai short name Priya appadinnu vacheenga.. Priyam appadinnu vachu iruntheenga, appuram not ordinary questions, ore lateral thinking questions-aa kettu thalliduvaa.. :P :P Namma Queenie maathiri.. :P :P

God bless the dear little Priya.. :sm30: (and also the big little 'vaal-ponnu' Priyam aka Queenie :P Ice vachchaathaan answer correctunnu solluvaanga.. :wink:)

vasan

anainar
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Priyanka!! Priya!!! Sounds very good names, both. Am sure she is a handful keeping you both busy Karthis..

So, is that why you are concerned about schooling system? That lovely Priya will be made to lug around 5 kgs of books? Me too in your side. Children should carry only snack packs, and possibly a few light books for drawing, scribbling. Or that should be provided by the school itself.

Cheers

silican
10-11-2004, 06:20 PM
I don’t think that they torture young children. I didn’t study in any of the city schools. I passed out of high school in 98 and I was in the same school right from my LKG (a solid 14 years) I don’t think my school has changed in this 6 years for I have contacts with students studying there now and my teachers.

I’m from a small town but my school was one of the best schools in the country when I was in my junior level education. Of course it was very strict. Polished black shoes and navy-blue socks till class 4 and then polished white (only canvas) shoes and navy-blue socks from class 5 Onwards. Uniform was White shirt and Navy blue Trousers. I used to see my friends in other school yearningly, for they were allowed to wear color dresses on Fridays and day after Diwali.

1) But my school had its own set of rules and procedures to avail leave. For a single day leave, you need to submit a leave letter the following day with the parent's signature and for 2 or more you need to get it stamped from the Principal after getting Parent's sign and then submit to the class-teacher. A postcard will be sent immediately to the student's house just to make sure they know that their kid didn’t attend the classes for so and so dates.

It was a much planned system and that kind of approach is very essential to make sure the children comes to school regularly, when you have working parents at home, who can’t come everyday to the school to pick-up and drop their kids.

2) Secondly, the education system. Yes, I had to carry 5 CW (class-work) 5 HW (Home-work), 5 text books, rough-note and school diary every day apart from my lunch box and water bottle. Not everyday my parents would take me to school and I walked usually and went by bus for 2 years or so. All these were only from class 1 to class 4, when you learn to get into a system of 5 Subjects and dividing your work accordingly. After that, I never remember carrying a load of books.

3) Exams were never a burden. Three Major exams every year; Quart-yearly, half-yearly, and Annual exams. Midway through, a monthly test every month and pro'lly a revision exam just before the three BIG exams with the same syllabus as the BIG ones. This approach continued till my 9th Standard. 10th and 12th Standard patterns were really loaded owing to the importance given to the board exams.

Best part was/is my school’s record. Every year at least 150 students get into BITS ANNA Univ, IIT’s, REC’s and Medical schools. My batch stats were a bit low with 30 medicos, 23 Anna and 8 IIT, 2 REC, 5 BITS.

Well, by the way my school wasn’t the one where parents spend a huge chunck of their salary for Education. I remember paying around 160-170 RS (yes!) every month when I was in 12th and it was 70 for students till 5th Standard and 90-120 till 9th.

When I was in school, I used to feel the pressure of the education standards but soon I realized where that foundation was going to take me and I guess my hopes didnt go wrong. Full credits to my school, teachers and the Principal

Silican

Priyanka
10-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Nalla velai short name Priya appadinnu vacheenga.. Priyam appadinnu vachu iruntheenga, appuram not ordinary questions, ore lateral thinking questions-aa kettu thalliduvaa.. Namma Queenie maathiri..

Aiyo! Athai yen kekkareenga Vassan. Yen ponnu pandra lollu thaanga mudiyalai. Bayangara pidivaatham, veshamam. Nanga laptopukkaaha vaangina cordless keyboard & mouse, enga DVD player ellam madam-udaiya kaingariyatthal ambel. "Yendi ippadi pannine"nu naano enga husbando ketta avvalavu thaan. Samma adi vaanguvom ava kitterndhu.

She is a music lover like me. Aana she will like only gaana songs. Athuvum "O podu" song nan pottenna enga irundhaalum odi vanduduvaal. Naan "Gemini Gemini"nu paada arambiccha she will say "O podu". Innum ava pandra kurumbugalai sollinde pogalaam.

silican
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Though my previous post migt look like a big blog, my point is Indian Schools (most Indian Schools, not the newl-started ones where even the parents need to take an interview to join their wards) are on right track and it is solely in the hands of the parents to make or break the future of their kids.

As Sri_gan correctly pointed out, any student from an Indian school can easily cope up with any educational system in the world and it is not the vice-versa.

எந்த குழந்தையும ் நல்ல குழந்தை தான் மண்ணில் பிறக்கையில ே..
அவர் நல்லவராவது ம் தீயவராவதும ் அன்னை வளர்ப்பினி லே.

Silican

sri_gan
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
She is a music lover like me. Aana she will like only gaana songs. Athuvum "O podu" song nan pottenna enga irundhaalum odi vanduduvaal. Naan "Gemini Gemini"nu paada arambiccha she will say "O podu". Innum ava pandra kurumbugalai sollinde pogalaam.

Ithellam Nalla thanga karthis irrukku.... Ithellam Indian Schools poitu vanthu kuzhnathainga pannuvangal theriyumono???

Regarding Book Loads:

To be honest, may be there will be little load of books in 6th standard, I could hardly see kid grabbing big luggages from LKG to 5th Standard, Unless the kids don't know how to select books for that day's time table or the parent don't guide them in the begining how to carry books.

You may argue with me saying what happens if the parents are not educated, there is nothing harm in asking the school teacher how to carry the books for every day or even I could say educate themselves to help their kids. Whats wrong in that? How long you guys are going to say that education is a torchure, when you see bright candidates come out of colleges and schools with the education, you me and everyone had.

I stick to same word I said before, There is absolutely nothing to changed, may be a minor modification in training the teachers to have the same standards in every single school irrespective of villages or towns or corporations. Thats the only thing I could see, but the rest are Ok.

suha
11-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Huh.....Just i saw this topic :oops:

I am sure....indian school study is very hard...but adhu thaan nalla padippu.....

because first time i went for india....angha my cosin going to college ava books paathu :00: ennaku thalai suthi poccu :Ksp: ....onnumei puriyalla....

inida laa padicchi foreign la pachikalam...but foriegn la padicchi indiala paddika mudiyadhu paa :Ksp:

here KG only 3 hours class...adhu verrum songs playing colouring appdi thaan...but indiala education is good...but liitle hard avolo thaan solla muddiyum ippodhikku :sm10: .. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/79.gif

http://www.aaa-clipart.com/data/anim3/girl/an4.gif

PKM wrote

Yen ponnu pandra lollu thaanga mudiyalai

enna madirri.....http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/71.gif priya kutti ennaku ummaaaaaaaaa :P

senthil17
11-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Hmm really tough one.

Treating students like animals, hitting them for the smallest mistakes, teachers showing off their personal problems on students.

I don't know. Is that bad?

Sarcasm off.

But education wise, we are the best. I am learning hte same thing in U.S. in 10th grade I learned in India is 6th or 7th grade.

S

Shy
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Hmm really tough one.

Treating students like animals, hitting them for the smallest mistakes, teachers showing off their personal problems on students.

I don't know. Is that bad?

Sarcasm off.

S

I dont agree with this senthil. Back home, teachers dont treat students as animals :( believe me, ofcourse there may be some exceptions, but majority teachers are best. Also hitting them for smaller problems, peseena adikarthu, ellai some punishment ellam nalathu thaan. u know antha bayam irukaranaala thaan olunga padikuraanga.. ellaina entha ooru mathiri if you shout at me, i will call 911 and say its abusenu nipaanga pasanga. because its the age and they will do all sorts of things. But namba oorla teacherna oru respect, bayam irukkum. homework panalaina ennaiku uday thaanu therinchu olunga padichutu varuvaanga.. but inga casuala u can say, sorry couldnt do, will try it tomorrownu.

Shy

coolian
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
We need a certain level of strictness in schools...I think the Indian education system (maybe even Asian system, as a whole) is a perfect example of that. Because of that, we don't have incidents like what happened in Columbine, or in Germany some years back.

aswin
12-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Many share the myth that "A student of India can survive anywhere on earth", i dont buy that. I feel Indian kids are tortured with many subjects which forces them to memorize instead of thorough understanding. Many read without knowing what they are upto. We teach them handling the pressure and memorizing . ..for example many students have great vocubulary but they dont know where and how to use it.. Indian kids lack creativity, socializing , presentation and sportive skills.

Anyway, my views :)