PDA

View Full Version : how big is the www?

Bluelotus
10-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Being a complete ignoramus in many things...

I was wondering ...

how big is the World Wide Web?

really :ee:

I do now realise that it isn't a giant spider web with lots of computers and main frames stuck to it :oops:

but still curious abt the actual size of it :think:

With a very high percentage of IT professionals and students in geetham ...I really hope that someone will be able to help me out on this tiny tiny question :wink: :wink: :wink:

:ee:

blue.

anainar
10-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Blue,

My rough estimate based on some recent studies is around 280 million unique domains are registered. There are better breakups on how many are commercial, educational and govt etc. But interestingly, the number of hosts grow from a mere 200 hosts in 1981 to 170 million in 2004. How phenomenal the growth is in two decades?? Unparalleled in human histroy I would say. These information are from the consortium called Internet Systems Consortium.

Cheers

Bluelotus
10-31-2004, 05:09 PM
170 millions hosts :00: woow :00:
( :oops: those are main frame computers which store data right? :oops: :sm03: I'm sorry but I really know nothing on this )

the growth and aquisition of knowledge is indeed without comparison in any subject in the last couple of decades... however the field of IT does seem to take the crown

thank you...will look up Internet systems consortium in google :wink:

dinesh
11-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Hosts need not be mainframes. You can even run a webserver from your home PC if you wanted to, but it might not be very satisfactory servicing requests.

Bluelotus
11-28-2004, 01:48 AM
just out of curiosity can you actually measure this in terms of square metres :think:

would it be the size of the mediterranean or bigger....or one just cannot say..

anainar
11-28-2004, 05:27 AM
Measure what in square meters? The space occupied by those computers? Like Dinesh said it need not be a mainframe. You can host a website in your PC itself, provided you have a unique WWWidentifier ( called IP address ) and sufficient bandwidth to handle network traffic. So, it is not possible to quantize the area occupied in square meters.

Cheers

sri_gan
12-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Candy,

Very simple, The procedure for calculation is below:

World Wide Web = len("World Wide Web") = 14
WWW = len("WWW") = 3