PDA

View Full Version : The "Sir" culture in Indian bureaucracy!!!

ramalingam
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
In Indian bureaucracy whether it is gvt or pvt, there is a tendency on the part of junior officers to address seniors as "Sir" and the seniors too prefer such a treatment. Is it not an English tradition and is it not the right time to switch over to addressing colleagues whether senior or jr by name. How many countries follow this Sir culture worldwide. Let us discuss.
Rams

RaasuKutty
11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
In Indian bureaucracy whether it is gvt or pvt, there is a tendency on the part of junior officers to address seniors as "Sir" and the seniors too prefer such a treatment. Is it not an English tradition and is it not the right time to switch over to addressing colleagues whether senior or jr by name. How many countries follow this Sir culture worldwide. Let us discuss.

If am not wrong, it is in deed an English Tradition. Even today, people do use this in public and private meetings. But as such, I am not a advocate of this sir culture at office. In office, I have never addressed anyone as sir and others have also never expected that :P :P ..

However in US, I do see ppl address with a sir/madam on a cross functional meeting and it does make sense in that kinda meetings.

Meanwhile, Welcome to Geetham Ram :P :P .. Browse thru the various sections and do participate.. There is going to be a LOT of action for Diwali.. Stay tuned and Enjoy :b:

ramalingam
11-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks Rasu, I agree with your views. Also thanks a lot for welcoming me to Geetham. I hope one day India will also follow suit like the Americans do when it comes to addressing officials.