PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding in public

Bluelotus
11-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Is it acceptable to have women breasfeed their babies in public places?

breasfeeding is very important and highly encouraged if the mothers are able to do so.

however many object to having mothers do so in public places such as parks, restaurants, libraries...etc

should they be allowed to feed anywhere...or should there be some restrictions?

blue

jaggy4u
11-19-2004, 12:45 AM
just becas of some crooked minds, no mother shld restrain from feeding her child when and where its required.

bbabab2004
11-19-2004, 12:50 AM
what can be wrong with that :(
i voted yes. just my opiinion.

thanks ok bye.

shiam_saran
11-19-2004, 01:10 AM
I would say.. its very difficult for them as well as for others.. Ofcourse they can do so in case of emergencies.. I dont think anything is wrong in that.. But doing it in a private place.. keeps the mother in comfort.. Why take risk? Always better to feed your baby happilly in private rather than discreetly in public..

Shiam

coolian
11-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Well, we have to look at this issue from several angles. The most important thing is, the mother should be comfortable to breastfeed in a public place. However, one should keep in mind that there will be children around. So, other parents might not be comfortable when they see someone breastfeeding in front of their child. And remember, there ARE voyeurs around all the time, so you never know who has that hidden camera and all that stuff. So while there's absolutely nothing wrong in breastfeeding in public...it might be safer if one does it in their privacy at home.

coolian
11-19-2004, 03:24 AM
just becas of some crooked minds, no mother shld restrain from feeding her child when and where its required.Of course not. But because of those crooked minds, the mother will be at a disadvantage. Who wants to take that risk?!?

Priyanka
11-19-2004, 04:33 AM
Definitely it is not wrong. As a mother naan solren. 'Poratthiyaar enna ninaippaanga'ngaratha vida namba kuzhandhaiyoda pasi thaan nambalukku mukkiyam. For people in India, it is unavoidable. Parkaravanga perverts-a irundha athukku naam enna panna mudiyum. Namba onnum appadiye thorandhu kudukka porathu illaiye. We will hide ourselves atleast with a big towel. But better wear Saree if you want to breast feed you child in public. Pudavai thalaippai vacchu complete-a maracchu kudukkalaam thappillai.

jaggy4u
11-19-2004, 05:01 AM
just becas of some crooked minds, no mother shld restrain from feeding her child when and where its required.Of course not. But because of those crooked minds, the mother will be at a disadvantage. Who wants to take that risk?!?

Crooked mind ppl will be everywhere, coolian...if you start changing for them, you will keep on...you say tht mother will be at disadvantage, ya she will feel uneasy..but she will know how to feed her child, without any hindrances, as a mother(PK said a valid point as a mother too)...

katteri
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Will you allow your baby to die out of hunger without feeding it????

ashokcsn_2000
11-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Hunger is the primary drive behind everything... if u want something u can buy and eat.. the baby cant digest all that stuff and that is why God provieded it milk from the mother that is not only nutrient rich and easily digestable but also strengthens the immune system...

If the baby is hungry are u gonna let it cry out all day until u get to a private place to feed it... Definitely u can find a place to site and like PK said have a towel handy and feed your baby... there is nothing wrong in that....

anitam
11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I vote for YES...

Our kid comes first... cann't think about privacy in all the places.

Bluelotus
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
let's just recap...we are not talking of letting the child starve
but would you be completely agreeable to say having your dinner companion unbutton her shirt and feed her baby at the table ...and to make it more realistic... you are four ppl dinning out at the newest and poshest Italian restaurant in town??

I doubt whether she has a towel big enough to cover herself and the baby at this point...

or perhaps you take your nephew/cousin/son to the park and your playing catch or football, and this woman simply unbuttons her shirt and feeds her child on a bench nearby

yes infants need to be fed...and breastfeeding is extremely important not only point of view nutrition, immunity but also in mother child bonding which contributes greatly to the psychological growth of the infant.

but correct me if I am wrong.....
babies feed at set times do they not?
they work like clockwork ???
being no mother and having come out of the infant stage a very long time ago ...I cannot recall :oops:

so mothers should theoretically know when the baby should be fed, right?
and nowdays you can collect milk in bottles can you not? I'm talking abt breast-pumps
so mothers should be able to carry the milk with them in bottles and feed the baby that way
or is that nonsense??

I am a prude...I feel uncomfortable at the slightest idea of disrobing in public
I personally do not think I would be able to breastfeed a child in public..while all and sundry scrutinise this most private of act

yes feeding your child is a natural act ...but in the glare of the public...how many of you could do so without a single care in the world?

would it not be more healthy to have separate mother-baby areas created so that mothers may retire there with their charges and take care of their needs without having to worry abt lack of modesty or voyeurs?
in fact I see more and more of these areas in public places...

well in either case it seems that in Scotland at least they agree with the majority of you...and have made it ilegal to refuse to allow a mother to breastfeed her child in public.

It is up to the individual to choose
that particular Scottish act is a very good idea :ahha: as it shall offer the mothers a choice...

coolian
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, as women/mothers you obviously know best. As long as the mother is comfortable doing it, why not?

coolian
11-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Blue, I wanted to say that, but you beat me to it :ee:. Like jaggy said, there ALWAYS will be some voyeur out there, and like blue said, how many women would be willing to "disrobe"??!? Now WHERE the mother breastfeeds (or plans to) plays a huge role as well, doesn't it? I'm sure the mother will find it easier to breastfeed in a western country (read Europe, USA) than in Asian countries. A lot depends on how conservative the society is.

Priyanka
11-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Neenga soldrathu correct thaan blues. But sometimes it becomes unavoidable. Suddenly babies will start crying uncontrollably. Baby does not cry only if it is hungry. It may also cry when it is scared, feeling insecure etc. The only way to pasify the baby is to breast feed the baby.

Most of Indian pediatricians do not follow appointment systems. So we have to wait hours together to see the doctors. Sometimes even for 3 to 4 hours. Will you remain without feeding baby for such a long time? How is it possible. Newborn infants upto 3 months should be fed every 2 to 3 hours. So whenever you go out how can you run to your home within 2 hours. Practically it is impossible.

so mothers should theoretically know when the baby should be fed, right?
and nowdays you can collect milk in bottles can you not? I'm talking abt breast-pumps
so mothers should be able to carry the milk with them in bottles and feed the baby that way
or is that nonsense??

The idea of collecting breastmilk in feeding bottles will not hold good for newborn infants. Because they dont know how to suck from the feeding bottles unless they are practiced from the 1st day of birth. You may then ask why can't we practice the baby to drink from the bottle from the first day itself. If you practice the baby to drink from feeding bottle then the baby will refuse to suck the milk from mother's breast because drinking from bottle is relatively easy for it when compared. Naan andha maadiri thaan panni, I suffered a lot in making my daughter to drink directly from me.

And use of feeding bottles for newborn infants is not advaisable, as the kids may catch infection very easily.

jaggy4u
11-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Blue, When Our life doesnt work therotically, how come you can expect a child to be fed on a theorotical pre described timings....only a mother can understand all about a child, lot of times I dont even understand the child's language, take in my case my sister child used to cry suddenly and my sister who grew up all these years with me, understands what her child needs, where as I can't.....Motherhood is the greatest gift given by God to Women and never should women compromise on feeding her child,when and where its required just becas of some uncivilised people,whether in Asia, Europe or US..

vasan
11-19-2004, 08:57 PM
I understand the legitimate concerns blue & coolian (among many others) are making...

Its kinda easy to dismiss things saying only mom would understand and so on. Shouldn't such understanding mom's be also concerned about these things before venturing out to participate in events? If a tiny baby which might need to be fed a few times in the evening is there at home, should you really go to attend the 4 hr long Opera?? Do you really need to be there at the Cricket or football ground watching a game??

One alternative could be special rooms where mothers could feed the baby in privacy in such public places. Not just for the safety of the mom or baby alone, but also for the others with kids to enjoy a day in the public peacefully.

Legally enforceable or not, I think parents should use quite a bit of prudence and common sense, rather than arguing on not so sensible points..

purely my opinion..

v-

jaggy4u
11-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Vasan, so you meant to say, since mothers are more responsible, they shldnt take part in events?
common yaar..you guys think only for the small set of uncivilised people, what they will think and all...Always neglect those folks..Mother shld be happy too..
But as you said on special rooms, now a days many corporates are aware of such social factors, and they arrange special rooms for their employees, where mothers can feed in private..As an example my company has tht option...

coolian
11-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Jaggy, it's easy for you to say that. The thing about "uncivilised people" is that you never know what they might do - who cares what they think? What if some sicko had a camera? Why should the mother put herself in such a situation that will embarrass her? What I'm saying is...the mother should do it discreetly in public. I've read so many articles on women being asked to leave the premises because they were breastfeeding (which is legal, of course). Won't that cause unnecessary publicity etc? It's nice to think that "I don't care what anyone thinks...I'm going to do it" but it's always possible that unforeseen repercussions will take place. It's better to be safe that sorry ain't it?

Bluelotus
11-19-2004, 10:33 PM
mothers with new born babes do not leave the home unless it is necessary say for that appointment with the paediatrician....
it's fine to feed your baby at the doctors office

I'm talking abt in parks... restaurants...cafes....theatre s ...etc...really public places

I believe that Tamil women don't usually go out of the house within a month of the birth of the baby :think: not sure if it's right...but my mother used to scream at my aunt abt it :oops:

Priyanka I know the importance of breastfeeding a child...I do realise it...
I'm not talking abt accidental times...but really abt ppl who thinks "what the H**k..I will feed my child regardless of where I am and who is around"

last time I had to explain to my 5 year old cousin what a woman was doing...and they can come up with strange questions :oops: that I am not equiped to answer
I don't think I want any children of mine to be exposed to any of this till they reach at least 12 ..when I can explain to them the whole biology behind it.....

coolian
11-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Exactly my point.

butterfly
11-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Here u go blues...u asked for it :)

Is it acceptable to have women breasfeed their babies in public places?

My answer to ur question is YES

breasfeeding is very important and highly encouraged if the mothers are able to do so.

True...But Y shudnt she be able too?...I see few have pointed out the excuse of privacy...But If everyone forgets a person who is not modest enough wud expose herself even if she is not breast feeding...so is it right to expect all women to be the same?....Our mothers of geetham have said Its possible to feed a child modestly...& moreover there are adaptive clothings for Nursing moms...which she cud use...in India women wear saree so its easy for them to cover themself...here the mothers always carry a babyblanket ...so she can use it to cover herself

however many object to having mothers do so in public places such as parks, restaurants, libraries...etc

Like I have answered earlier...women with respect wud cover herself but if they dont its a moral issue which cud be seen anywhere not necessary just nursing mothers...

should they be allowed to feed anywhere...or should there be some restrictions?

If there are nursing rooms its good...am sure she wud use it...I dont Think anyone has any right to restrict a mother frm feeding a child

Now readiing to few comments here...

or perhaps you take your nephew/cousin/son to the park and your playing catch or football, and this woman simply unbuttons her shirt and feeds her child on a bench near by

wat wud ur answer be to the child when ur flipping a channel & something like this is shown & the child asks u questions?....I dunno about the age of the child u have mentioned here...but in school by grade 3 dont they teach human body parts & its functions?...u cud also explain the mother is just feeding her child...am sure the kid wud understand...but like i said earlier a modest women wud never do it...

Priyanka wrote,

Most of Indian pediatricians do not follow appointment systems. So we have to wait hours together to see the doctors. Sometimes even for 3 to 4 hours. Will you remain without feeding baby for such a long time? How is it possible. Newborn infants upto 3 months should be fed every 2 to 3 hours. So whenever you go out how can you run to your home within 2 hours. Practically it is impossible

very good explanation...but wud like to add a baby feeds for atleast 30-45 mins intially....can u imagine doing it round the clock...mothers in India are lucky they have families to help...but when ur alone all day ...& all u do is feed the baby u need the time out in the evening...I know my mom used to scream @ my sis & Us for letting her go out...

Shouldn't such understanding mom's be also concerned about these things before venturing out to participate in events? If a tiny baby which might need to be fed a few times in the evening is there at home, should you really go to attend the 4 hr long Opera?? Do you really need to be there at the Cricket or football ground watching a game??

She is also Human...& moreover she has no communicable disease to be on isolation...wats wrong in her getting some entertainment...& moreover a baby senses her mother's emotions...so its absolutely imporant for mothers to be happy....so If ur ready I wud say go for it...rather than suffering postpartum Depression

last time I had to explain to my 5 year old cousin what a woman was doing...and they can come up with strange questions that I am not equiped to answer
I don't think I want any children of mine to be exposed to any of this till they reach at least 12 ..when I can explain to them the whole biology behind it.....

I dont see any difference In a child watching an unpleasant scence on TV or a person kissing in public ;)...U cant change the World...but that doesnt prevent u frm living in that world :)

suha
11-20-2004, 05:18 AM
I am hungry nowwwwwwww :Ksp: mummyyyyyyyyy :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

coolian
11-20-2004, 07:26 AM
erm...

yogesh220
11-20-2004, 02:54 PM
hahahaha....the Q made me laugh.......... and somebody answered No.......Now I know that Opinions differ.....

the question is analogous to a situation in which "Is it acceptable for girls to come out of home at all....?", because there will be some crooks who will voyeur your body(of course dressed...).... Motherhood is a holy aspect.....I could not even think about the angle which the Q was here in the first place.....

Actually, the first thought that occured to my mind was..."Man....this Q sucks...."

Bluelotus
11-20-2004, 04:11 PM
yogesh,
hmm yes ..ppl are on the whole entitled to their opinions :think:
interesting that you think it sucks...cos :ee: some MPs didn't think it was when they argued abt it :ahha:

butterfly,
yes :think:
I guess if the mother feels comfortable and she is decently covered (so that I do not have to answer any prying questions of teeny-bopers) (and that she is allowed to do so---this varies from one public establishment to another ) ..it's all fine and dandy :ahha:

dinesh
11-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't know is the honest answer. Personally, I'd feel very uncomfortable if I see a mother feeding her baby in public. But I don't know whether it is a right feeling or not. But I do feel mothers should have the choice to do it wherever they want to.

anainar
11-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Dinesh,

You are not way off man. I too am in the same boat. It is not a right or wrong question. Yes, we all know it is nature but something does make one uncomfortable. In the sense that we tend to be extra cautious of what we do. With a little bit of precaution mothers can do away with this uncomfort for general public. That way I would always suggest mothers take a note of where they are.

Cheers

rashmi987
11-26-2004, 03:48 AM
My vote is yes. But even mothers can plan accordingly. Bcos as a mother, she knows the time when her baby will be feeling hungry. So before 15/20 min she must find some private places. But unfortunately the gov. did not keep any private places for mothers in India. In developed countries we can see a private place for mother and children, in any shopping complex or libraries or so. But in India there is no such facilities . So it is unavoidable.

yogesh220
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
LOUISIANA
Louisiana in 2003 enacted that first law that prohibits child care facilities from discriminating against breastfed babies. Louisiana enacted a breastfeeding in public law in 2001, which initially sets forth the importance of breastfeeding, and then goes on to state that it is discrimination to prohibit a mother from breastfeeding her baby in public. This law also states that it is segregation to ask her to go to a different place to breastfeed. In 2002, a resolution was approved establishing a joint study on the topic of insurance coverage for outpatient lactation support. (LHCR 35, 2002).

L.R.S. 46 § 1409(B)(5)
2003 La. Acts. 369

B. The Louisiana Advisory Committee on Licensing of Child Care Facilities and Child-Placing Agencies shall approve rules and regulations developed by the department to meet at least the following standards for all Class A child care facilities and child placement agencies as defined in this Chapter which, at a minimum, shall:

(5) Prohibit discrimination by child care facilities and child placement agencies on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, handicapping condition, ancestry, or whether the child is being breast-fed. A provider shall have a written description of admission policies and criteria which expresses the needs, problems, situations, or patterns best addressed by its program. These policies shall be available to the legally responsible person for any child referred for placement.

L.R.S. 46 § 1413(E)

§1413. Rules, regulations, and standards for Class B licenses

E. No child care facility shall discriminate based on race, color, creed, disability, as defined in R.S. 51:2232(11), national origin ancestry or whether a child is being breast-fed. However, this shall not restrict the hiring or admission policies of a church or religious organization, which may give preference in hiring or admission to members of the church or denomination. Nor shall it affect the rights of religious sectarian child-placing agencies to consider creed in any decision or action relating to foster care or adoption.

L.R.S. 51 § 2247.1
2001 La. ALS 576; 2001 La. ACT 576; 2001 La. HB 377

Section 2247.1. Breastfeeding; Discriminatory Practices Prohibited
A. Legislative Findings and Declarations.
(1) The Legislature of Louisiana hereby finds that the Surgeon General of the United States recommends that babies from birth to one year of age be breastfed, unless medically contraindicated, in order for the babies to attain an optimal healthy start in life, but that despite that recommendation, statistics reveal a declining percentage of mothers who are now choosing to breastfeed their babies, and nearly half of all new mothers are choosing formula over breastfeeding before they even leave the hospital.
(2) The Legislature further finds that breast milk provides better nutrition and more immunity to disease, is easier for babies to digest, and may raise a baby's intelligence quotient, but that the social constraints of modern society work against the choice of breastfeeding and lead new mothers with demanding time schedules to opt for formula feeding for reasons such as embarrassment and the fear of social ostracism or criminal prosecution.
(3) The Legislature does hereby declare that the promotion of family values and infant health demands that our society put an end to the vicious cycle of embarrassment and ignorance that constricts women and men alike on the subject of breastfeeding, and that in a genuine effort to promote family values, our society should encourage public acceptance of this most basic act of nurture between mother and baby and should take appropriate steps to ensure that no mother is made to feel incriminated or socially ostracized for breastfeeding her baby.

B. Right to Breastfeed.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a mother may breastfeed her baby in any place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement.

C. "Discriminatory Practice in Connection with Public Accommodations" to Include a Discriminatory Practice Against a Mother Breastfeeding her Baby.
Any direct or indirect act or practice of exclusion, distinction, restriction, segregation, limitation, refusal, denial, or any other act or practice of differentiation or preference in the treatment of a mother breastfeeding her baby shall be a "discriminatory practice in connection with public accommodations" for the purposes of this chapter.

D. Breastfeeding; Discriminatory Practices Prohibited.
It is a discriminatory practice in connection with public accommodations for a person to deny an individual the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of a place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement, as defined in this chapter, on the grounds that the individual is a mother breastfeeding her baby. This discriminatory practice in connection with public accommodations is prohibited.

E. Breastfeeding Not a Violation of Law.
A mother breastfeeding her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, shall not be deemed to be in violation of r.s. 14:106 or of any other provision of law.

gokulan42
12-04-2004, 03:16 AM
WHEREEVER it is... A very big YES. Mother's love does not care about privacy and her own disadvantage and other such things that were mentioned here. That is why she is so very special than anybody else....

Disrobing??? Even if you call that, a mom wudnt mind that to breastfead her baby.. Isnt it great? I think yes... If somebody feels uncomfortable seeing a mother breastfeeding (be it in an italian restaurent or in the railway compartment), the problem lies with that somebody... This is my opinion..

jilljill
12-07-2004, 10:51 AM

Crooked mind ppl will be everywhere, coolian...if you start changing for them, you will keep on...you say tht mother will be at disadvantage, ya she will feel uneasy..but she will know how to feed her child, without any hindrances, as a mother(PK said a valid point as a mother too)...

I agree with u man

but there can be a rest room in public place for ladies not only for feeding but also for manythinks

like smoke room

It can be.. there is nothing wrong in this

Now a days in the church there is seperate rooms for baby&mother not only for noise

Shy
12-07-2004, 07:50 PM
mm.. My answer would be yes..

Kids come first wherever you are.

Nursing mothers when travelling anywhere even if its a nearby park or shop should always be well prepared, thats my advice because as priyanka said we never know when the baby will cry. Appo we cant search for a private place when the baby is at its peak voice. If you are equipped then no problem about where u are right???

Shy[/b]

yogesh220
12-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Welcome Shy.... Welcome back...

Vandha vudaneee...oru vaarthai sonnaalum thiruvaarthai sollitteenga.....iniyaavathu?? ?? :):):)

coolian
12-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Man, Yogesh...It's kinda scary coming on Geetham at my workplace cuz of your signature...

Carnatic is best
01-23-2005, 04:31 PM
The other day I was coming from class in uni and there was a woman on the grass feeding her baby. She was not too discreet about it either.

I don't really mind either way in this issue but it did make me a bit uncomfortable. So if there is a chance it should be done in private but if not, then sure go ahead and do it in public :D

prasan8181
01-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Strange topic! Never really thought about it. Strange...

valluvan
01-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Medically breastfeeding is the important and necessary food for just born babies.......

But most of the places, we can see bottle feeding is being given for the childs in public places. That could be acceptable not only because of the shyness, but because of the space contraint for this activity and the convenience. Also the journey might not be for longer duration. If it is longer, then breast feeding needs to be given by keeping aside the shyness.

My vote is for 'Yes'.

Priyanka
01-24-2005, 04:05 AM
But I never breast fed in public. :P I completely avoided going out when I was feeding my baby. Even if I went out, I will rush home within 1 to 1and half hours. 'cuz I felt too shy for breastfeeding in public. But 'cuz of that I suffered from mental depression. :cry: But I feel that it is not possible for all the ladies. So my vote is for 'Yes'

sri_gan
01-24-2005, 04:26 PM
I've crossed incidences many times backhome when I was visiting for marriage functions etc..

I never felt anything abnormal or uncomfortable, its just a normal incident like every other incidents.

The only way anyone can help another mother is by neglecting it as if nothing happened and move on.

To me Breastfeeding anywhere and everywhere is Okay so yes, Mothers need to make sure the place is hygenic enough and its safe for them and their kid thats all it matters.

star
02-24-2005, 03:15 AM
priyanka ur avatar is cool yaar :D

Priyanka
02-24-2005, 04:34 AM
priyanka ur avatar is cool yaar :D

Shy
02-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I've crossed incidences many times backhome when I was visiting for marriage functions etc..

I never felt anything abnormal or uncomfortable, its just a normal incident like every other incidents.

The only way anyone can help another mother is by neglecting it as if nothing happened and move on.

To me Breastfeeding anywhere and everywhere is Okay so yes, Mothers need to make sure the place is hygenic enough and its safe for them and their kid thats all it matters.

not everyone think like that sri, athu thaan problem. :(

Shy