PDA

View Full Version : Always use protection!!!

coolian
12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
If you are still using Internet Explorer...shame on you!!! READ THIS (http://www.alwaysuseprotection.com/Stories/security/linkscam.htm). :evil: :?

ashokcsn_2000
12-13-2004, 07:45 PM
If you are still using Internet Explorer...shame on you!!! READ THIS.

i am getting sick of this.... GUYS, GALS, DUDES, DUDETTES.....

IF U ARE NOT SATISFIED / IF U DONT LIKE IT / IF U THINK IT IS HARMFUL TO U.....

dont use microsoft products... better than using and then whinning abt it...

vasan
12-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Hmm.. Okie..

But how is this different in Mozilla and Firefox? I see the link in my mail box and click.. and thats it.. whats the difference?

BTW, I am still not convinced that the problems in IE are because of many people targetting it (being the most popular browser, and many culprits) rather than because of its inherent design flaw.. If the scamsters are really interested in messing up firefox or mozilla they would and no matter what you do to protect it, they would find a way... Only think is, most of these characters probably think, 'whats the use of messing two hundred browsers' when you can mess up 2 million??'...

v-

ps: Ashok? Ennaa Microsoft-la work panureengala, illai niraiyaa stocks vangineengala.. :P :P Cool down paa.. :P

coolian
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Ashok, calm down dude!!! Damn dude...

dont use microsoft products... better than using and then whinning abt it...

I whine about them because I do(did) use them, and I've been bitten pretty hard by them. Sorry, ain't as thick as you seem to be.

IE has a lot of viruses/security holes - maybe the reason that is so is because the majority of the people target IE in the first place. There are way too many people out there who are simply too passive to think about the problems IE poses - yet when they get a lot of popups or when browser hijacking takes place, they start whining, reformatting etc etc etc.

There're a bunch of security problems with IE. IE is no longer updated for any other browser than Windows XP with SP2 installed. Browser hijacking via Internet Explorer happens ALL the time, adding spyware, adware and all those 'wares to your computer. There're a billion unpatched Security vulnerabilities and there's broken SSL support. There is no pop-up ad blocking, unlike Mozilla - and the latest SP2 popup blocker reeks. There is also no tab support.

Now, Microsoft has also stopped further development on IE. If you want to go ahead and use it, by all means, do so. 95% of people use IE anyway. But then, 95% of people don't think.

coolian
12-13-2004, 09:42 PM
BTW, I am still not convinced that the problems in IE are because of many people targetting it (being the most popular browser, and many culprits) rather than because of its inherent design flaw.
Vasan, heard about the ActiveX technology? I'm pretty sure you have. Tweaking of ActiveX controls is a very common method hackers use to 'damage' computers. Firefox doesn't use it.

ashokcsn_2000
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
1) 95% of the population never use the security patches that microsoft provides....
2) Mozilla had more serious bugs in the past.... and still has quitea few even now... just that the browser wasnt popular and so many werent aware of those bugs.... just oblivious to it..... I was using mozilla for a long time... IE was literally non-existant at that time... and now all the hype abt mozilla is due to the open-source bandwagon...
3) IE has better functionality and faster rendering than any other browser in the market. (for ex: load the heavily tabled Geetham.net in any other browser (incl of Mozilla) and in IE see the results).
4) Noone is against you using IE with Sp2.... i dont find any reason why u should say the popup blocker reeks... (give me reasons dude) much better than any otherpopup blocker for IE.... I visit so many back alley sites havent had any probs with IE on SP2 (used to use opera)
5) Microsoft hasnt stopped development of IE... (arg... all those meaningless rumours) u think they are stupid to stop development esp considering the huge competition out there.... No major updates are possible for any internet browser because HTML has been on 1.1 for a long time now and no new standards are expected anytime soon....
6) Use the latest updates of IE (sp2) to stop browser hijacks..... and to stop all the browser helper objects (adwares and spywares).......
7) add on functionality on Mozilla is a piece of dirt when u compare to what IE supports...
8) I have nothing against mozilla though I wouldnt blame IE...

PS:I dont wor for MS nor did I buy the stocks.... jst that i cant take it when ppl just go hyping about something just because it is the new kid in the block....

ashokcsn_2000
12-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Vasan, heard about the ActiveX technology? I'm pretty sure you have. Tweaking of ActiveX controls is a very common method hackers use to 'damage' computers. Firefox doesn't use it.

ActiveX adds functionality to MS environments... half of todays easy to use... interwined apps wouldnt exist withpout that... wondered why using the clipboard in linux has always been a challenge... (both from a programmers' and a end-user's point of view)....

IE on SP2 has more than enough safeguards for activeX.... doesnt let them run without permission....

jaggy4u
12-13-2004, 10:37 PM
it doesnt mean ppl dont think, you are getting it wrong...when 99% of the webpages are designed for IE and Netscape, who cares for damn mozilla, as an end user...
I have used mozilla , I think only the techies get excited when an alternative browser comes up...dont get into the ugly browser war man...IE always comes with patch and being highly targeted...

coolian
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
1) 95% of the population never use the security patches that microsoft provides.... If they used non-microsoft products, they wouldn't really have to be worried about security patches in the first place.

2) Mozilla had more serious bugs in the past.... and still has quitea few even now... just that the browser wasnt popular and so many werent aware of those bugs.... just oblivious to it..... I was using mozilla for a long time... IE was literally non-existant at that time... and now all the hype abt mozilla is due to the open-source bandwagon...
You're talking about Netscape. I think you're getting confused here. IE became the leader simply because it is packaged with the Windows OS, as is Windows Media Player. The reason for the hype about Firefox you gave is correct - it's opensource. Because of that, since anyone has access to the code, anyone out there can change it - resulting in a much more stronger browser. There's another reason for the hype. It's good and more secure than IE.

3) IE has better functionality and faster rendering than any other browser in the market. (for ex: load the heavily tabled Geetham.net in any other browser (incl of Mozilla) and in IE see the results). That is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time - you've topped it. Geetham loads a helluva lot faster in Firefox for me (less than 2 seconds), than in IE (8 seconds). You might want to try it to see the results. Oh, and how could I forget -

Ripped from Wikipedia:

Internet Explorer's rendering engine fails to completely implement the web standards as defined by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Although with each version Microsoft have improved standards support, including the introduction of a "standards-compliant mode" in version 6, the core standards that are used to build web pages (HTML and CSS) are still implemented in an incomplete fashion. For example, there is a complete lack of support for <abbr> which is part of the HTML 4.01 standard, and there are bugs in the implementation of float-margins for the CSS1 standard. Pages that are designed to be compliant with W3C standards may not render correctly in Internet Explorer.

4) Noone is against you using IE with Sp2.... i dont find any reason why u should say the popup blocker reeks... (give me reasons dude) much better than any otherpopup blocker for IE.... I visit so many back alley sites havent had any probs with IE on SP2 (used to use opera)You don't find any reason why I should say it reeks? Maybe because it lets popups from some websites through? Oh, you might like that - I certainly don't.

5) Microsoft hasnt stopped development of IE... (arg... all those meaningless rumours) u think they are stupid to stop development esp considering the huge competition out there.... No major updates are possible for any internet browser because HTML has been on 1.1 for a long time now and no new standards are expected anytime soon.... Check your facts - don't simply rattle off stuff you've heard through gossips and rumors. Read this (http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-1017126.html). HTML 1.1? You've obviously no clue what you're talking about. Read this (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/). HTML 4.0.1 is out, and that is being superceded by XHTML.

6) Use the latest updates of IE (sp2) to stop browser hijacks..... and to stop all the browser helper objects (adwares and spywares)....... Aaaahh...and how many updates/patches will it take for you to realize that you're dealing with a product that will still require more updates/patches?

7) add on functionality on Mozilla is a piece of dirt when u compare to what IE supports... Explain.

8) I have nothing against mozilla though I wouldnt blame IE... Why would you? You've proven to be one of "those" users.

PS:I dont wor for MS nor did I buy the stocks.... jst that i cant take it when ppl just go hyping about something just because it is the new kid in the block....
It's the new kid on the block, alright. But it's the new kid that's beating the heck out of IE. I'm not "hyping about it" just because it is "new" or because it stands for something Microsoft is against (Open Source development). I'm talking about it, because it is good.

Pure and simple.

ashokcsn_2000
12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Summarizing updates and patches....

Mozilla has also had a past that is filled with security issues.... primarily all of netscapes code came from mozilla project until netscape went on the quest for creating the all java browser... but now it is coming back to the opensource community and the next version will be adopting the mozilla code.... and the beta is already out.......

I am not trying to say that mozilla is buggier than IE... just that it has had it shares of patches in the past... (it has a longer past than IE).... just because u are using the latest version out of the box u are not having to go through all the upgrades... so if u install the latest IE (i mean windows) out oif the box and were unaware of the past (just because it wasnt popular)... u will feel the same abt IE....

IE has the added functionality of allowing you to do what ActiveX does... do stuff like install SW directly fromover the net.... add in plug-ins and other helper objects to the browser... (this is widely exploited by adwares and spywares)... that is the reason why u should have the latest updates....

The version thing was my mistake... just a bug in my flow of thoughts... thanks for correcting em....

BTW: Dont take any of these personally dude......(know u wont... just in case) just an argument....and just my opinions.....

coolian
12-14-2004, 12:14 AM
BTW: Dont take any of these personally dude......(know u wont... just in case) just an argument....and just my opinions..... Absolutely not :cool:.

coolian
12-14-2004, 04:49 AM
You keep talkin' about ActiveX's plus points, but conveniently look beyond its drawbacks. ActiveX was meant to make it easy to add the latest interactive multimedia and other features to sites, but instead it's become a tool for sneaking spyware onto unsuspecting PCs. Even the US-CERT has recommended computer users to switch browsers. A large number of companies are creating alternative extension to ActiveX (which Firefox gives users the option to enable, though it is highly discouraged). Read it here (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5253504.html).

coolian
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6862 . When will they ever learn...

vasan
01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
please check the link coolian.. not going anywhere (at least for me.. )..

thanks,

vasan

anainar
01-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Vasan, it does work fine. Why does it fail for you?

Ian, BTW I tried the test exploit in my machine and the ActiveX control did not run. And a command window did not pop up as mentioned in the test page.

So, I would presume what the web site says that Microsoft has not fixed the problem is wrong. If you set your ActiveX controls, these exploits does not work.

Cheers

ashokcsn_2000
01-10-2005, 07:03 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6862 . When will they ever learn...

Configure ur IE to open only trusted ActiveX (signed ActiveX)

Her eis how to do it:

Goto Tools->Options->Security->Custome level

In that set the following options forActiveX controls:

1) Automatic Prompting for ActiveX controls-> disable
2) Binary and Script Behavious->Diable
3) Download signed activex -> Prompt
4) Download Unsigned activex -> diable
5) Initialize and script Active not marked as safe -> prompt
6) Run ActiveX and plugins -> prompt
7) ActiveX marked for safe scripting -> prompt

and then goto Tools-> Managege Addons and disable all suspisious/unrecognized addons...

That should let u use IE safely and with all te functionality :) :) :)

Bluelotus
01-17-2005, 10:30 PM
okie...so I've been using IE forever...thought I would give firefox a try...

:? it's doing my head in :doh:

and geetham looks different with firefox....where did the drop down tabs or windows or whatever go?? :00: they just vanished!
and the google toolbar for firefox..looks well...odd

hmm...so what am I doing wrong with this firefox thingy ...why can't I see those drop-down tab things? :think:

ashokcsn_2000
01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
hmm...so what am I doing wrong with this firefox thingy ...why can't I see those drop-down tab things?

Bleu...

Firefox comes in a locked down state for security (bascially they are vulnerable to attacks too.. just theat they disaled features that add functionality by default to make themselves secure)...

To see all the tabs and menus... u have to goto options and in the security features and enable activex and scripting features.... then u will be able to see the menus on top in geetham....

Regarding the pages appearing slightly different it is because of the fact that each browser parses (translates and displays) the pages slightly differntly.... so u cannot expect all webpages to appear exactly the same in all browsers...

Bluelotus
01-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Ashok,

thank you

I can't find the active-X thing in options :oops: in fact I can't find the security button in the option menu :?

I do understand that all browsers are vulnerable to attacks ... :ee: was just curious abt it that's all ... at the rate I'm going with it ...It seems like I'm gonna be back on IE b4 long :ahha:

blue

ashokcsn_2000
01-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Blue:

Forgot to tell u that tehy dont come in by default... u have to download separate plugins and install (for activex and script support)

prasan8181
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM
hmm...so what am I doing wrong with this firefox thingy ...why can't I see those drop-down tab things?

Drop down tabs? Where are they, i dont see them even in IE!

and geetham looks different with firefox....where did the drop down tabs or windows or whatever go?? Shocked they just vanished!
and the google toolbar for firefox..looks well...odd

Hmm, I have been using firefox for quite sometime now, and geetham looks the same for me. ( Infact, looks better in firefox! )

I can't find the active-X thing in options Embarassed in fact I can't find the security button in the option menu

I searched for it... i cant find it either... but why would you require any activex at all... in my two months of power browsing with firefox, i never required an activex thing... firefox never asked me or complained me...

I do understand that all browsers are vulnerable to attacks ... EE was just curious abt it that's all ... at the rate I'm going with it ...It seems like I'm gonna be back on IE b4 long

Yup, but not that worse as IE. Take that pop up blocker for example... IE's pop up blocker s**ks. It does not know which pop ups to allow and which not to. It blocks everything. But firefox popup blocker only blocks ads, and that is a lot more comfortable than going and clicking on the yellow bar on top to say temporarily allow popups and you have to do that each time you refresh your browser...

And wait, it would be initially kinda strange when you switch from one browser to another... but once you get used to firefox and its tabbed browsing, its download manager, the efficient popup blocker, more powerful plugins than that stupid IE, you will never go back to IE. All I recommend is a little patience and experimenting with firefox, and then, voila!

Have fun.

prasan8181
01-17-2005, 11:36 PM
As usual, an after comment... :(

with firefox, i dont have spywares getting into my machine! What a relief that is, you know...

prasan8181
01-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Forgot to tell u that tehy dont come in by default... u have to download separate plugins and install (for activex and script support)

I think firefox promts you by itself when it requires a plugin for any object it needs to display. When it asks you (only when it asks you), you just have to say yes, and then it automatically downloads and installs the required plugins (only the required plugins).

Bluelotus
01-17-2005, 11:47 PM
hmmm... okie...so I will just carry on using firefox and see where it takes me

well not sure what you call them really...but above the "marquee" with the google ad-sense there usually can be found a drop down "menu" bar ...very useful

will add the plugins later ...can't be be bothered now

thanx guys

blue.

coolian
01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Finally, an ally in prasan - that's encouraging! Tabbed browsing is the most convenient feature of Firefox, and I think that IE might follow suit someday. Blue, trust me, you'd prefer Firefox soon enough...not much of a learning curve, either...but then again, it's you we're talkin' about here :ee: :ahha:...(eaaaaaaasy tiger!)...

Bluelotus
01-18-2005, 01:00 AM
but then again, it's you we're talkin' about here :ee:
:evil:

wait till I get hold of you ...I will mess your DNA so badly you want recognise a computer even if it hit you on the head :evil:

levity apart....

I can't see the emoticons when I try to send emails in yahoo :cry:

why is that?

blue.

coolian
01-18-2005, 06:57 PM
I will mess your DNA so badly you want recognise a computer even if it hit you on the head :evil:
Oh, you wouldn't!!! :00: Don't you dare...my DNA's one of the few uncontaminated substances in the world these days...I'd even go as far as to say that the future of the world depends on it!!! No touching :nono: :nono: :nono: ...

levity apart....Awww...come on...what fun is Geetham without it!?

Emoticons are for kids! Who uses them these days?!

prasan8181
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM

How dare you coolian! Remember whom you are talking about! This is ridiculous if not attrocious... ofcourse, Emoticons are for kids. Blue uses them regularly. ;)

ashokcsn_2000
01-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I will mess your DNA so badly you want recognise a computer even if it hit you on the head :evil:
Oh, you wouldn't!!! :00: Don't you dare...my DNA's one of the few uncontaminated substances in the world these days...I'd even go as far as to say that the future of the world depends on it!!! No touching :nono: :nono: :nono: ...

levity apart....Awww...come on...what fun is Geetham without it!?

Oiii.. how many have u used in ur post?? :lol:

vasan
01-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Oiii.. how many have u used in ur post?? :lol:

So??

He didn't say he is not a kid... eeeee

v-

coolian
01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm an old, old, old man. We're exempt from the emoticon-rule. :ee:.

Bluelotus
01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/45.gif
I use them!! :evil:

ofcourse, Emoticons are for kids. Blue uses them regularly.

what are you trying to imply http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/23.gif http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/10.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/10.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/10.gif

:snooty: I don't wanna grow up :snooty:
I want emoticons now :oops: :oops: :oops:

Forget DNA coolian ...after I finish with you...you wouldn't even mildy look like a homonoid :sm14: :sm14: :sm14:

be a tad careful dude...with the amount of levity flying around in geetham ...you might find yourself airborne and end up in Timbuktu :ahha:

thattha intha Coolian-nukku ungalla vida kuda years ...actually athu 20 illai ..but 200years :sm12:
I fail to undertsand why ppl want to grow old so quickly....where's the fun in that? :think:

~~~~~~~~

so basically...... I can't get emoticons to work in my yahoo emails on firefox is that what you're all implying :00:

:p:

yuck.

Bluelotus
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
forgot to ask....Ashok are you hungry? :think:
isn't that what your avatar is saying ?

coolian
01-19-2005, 01:38 AM
He's not hungry, he could be scratching his stomach. But knowing how jovial a person ashok is, I bet he's just tickling himself.

Shy
01-19-2005, 02:24 AM
He's not hungry, he could be scratching his stomach. But knowing how jovial a person ashok is, I bet he's just tickling himself.

:) enakku ennamoo pasikuthunu thaan solara mathiri irukku.. BTW neengalae varanchatha ithu :)

Kekanumnu irunthaen.. prasanna, yaar antha paatti??

Sorry for the side track guys

Shy

prasan8181
01-19-2005, 03:39 AM

Someone who survived the recent Tsunami. Took it from Vikatan. I find her attractive in some way... dont you?

Shy
01-19-2005, 04:27 AM

Someone who survived the recent Tsunami. Took it from Vikatan. I find her attractive in some way... dont you?

Oh appadiyaa.. azhagaana poka vaai paatti :)

Shy

coolian
01-25-2005, 11:51 PM
I just found out...the co-creator of Firefox is...19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read this (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_bi_ge/firefox_co_creator). I've got hope...you can do it, coolian...you can do it...

prasan8181
01-26-2005, 12:44 AM
From the article: And have his appearances in major newspapers posted on his eponymous Web site helped with those California girls at school?

"They're the ones that aren't impressed at all," he said with a laugh.

;)

coolian
01-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Yeah, made me chuckle...

Narayana
01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Thnx coolian and prasan for supporting Firefox. I like it very muuch and use it only. Also I'm in the process of switching to Linux. If u hav ever gone to some illegal sites like www.freeserials.com to download serial or crack, first u r asked to switch off the firewall. then some security warning comes and u r required to say YES. But in linux theres no such problem. Also, ashokan, ur argument that firefox not attacked becoz no. of users low is correct. But there's another fact.... If someone does something to make firefox/linux less secure/virus etc.etc there are 100 others to rectify it. The same as Wikipedia. Anyone can disfigure the wiki pages... but lot others can tidy it ...

the co-creator of Firefox is...19!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day I'll make an OS guys... dreamss....
--N

ashokcsn_2000
01-27-2005, 05:11 PM
I like it very muuch and use it only. Also I'm in the process of switching to Linux. If u hav ever gone to some illegal sites like www.freeserials.com to download serial or crack, first u r asked to switch off the firewall. then some security warning comes and u r required to say YES.

That is exactly what I am saying.. why dont you switch off your activeX and scripting support from the security options of IE and you will have a more secure browser...

prasan8181
01-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Also, ashokan, ur argument that firefox not attacked becoz no. of users low is correct. But there's another fact.... If someone does something to make firefox/linux less secure/virus etc.etc there are 100 others to rectify it. The same as Wikipedia. Anyone can disfigure the wiki pages... but lot others can tidy it ...

Er, pray hold on. This is totally untrue. That firefox is more secure because there are less people using it. Funny.

The truth is this:
"IE was designed to be integrated into the operating system and with other applications as much as possible. From a programmer's point of view this can be considered positive, but that also applies to programmers who are making viruses," said von Tetzchner.

"From a security perspective it is better to have less integration between the browser and the OS and other apps. At Opera, we have made a lot of decisions where security has been put higher than convenience. Sometimes it even hurts our users a little because sites that use code that could be used to do damage won't display in Opera. But we have to put security first."

Taken from http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66394,00.html?tw=wn_top head_2

Well, I am not campaining for firefox. Just that i find it more convenient than IE.

Prasanna.

coolian
09-16-2005, 04:33 PM
This guy was involved in the development of IE (which, by the way, is still a nasty product):

[web:98050fa568]http://www.scottberkun.com/blog/?p=115[/web:98050fa568]

ashokcsn_2000
09-16-2005, 05:21 PM
[web:e6546eb732]http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/8ksTfeiGzQ3Scg/Security-Vulnerability-Threatens-Firefox-Users.xhtml[/web:e6546eb732]

restarts....