PDA

View Full Version : Firefox related help

narayantv
02-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Folks,

Just want to find whether it is just me or other's have problems using firefox to view geetham.net (even posting new topic makes it more interesting...).

Eager to hear from the firefox/Geetham.net users...

thanks and regards
TVN

yogesh220
02-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I sometimes use firefox and geetham, but I dont have any problems.....well except for some of the tamil fonts.... ...

dinesh
02-12-2005, 11:50 PM
I use it for almost all other sites apart from geetham.....it can't display tamil fonts properly as yogesh said

prasan8181
02-13-2005, 04:16 AM
Yup me too. Just the tamil fonts.

ns80
02-13-2005, 07:33 AM
hey i use firefox as well. im able to see tamil fonts in geetham quite properly. by any chance do u people use windows 2000. then goto regional settings. under general>languages. select indic..that shud install most of the asian fonts. in firefox options...under general>languages. ive added tamil as one primary fonts and encoding as UTF-8. does this fix things for u?

Narayana
02-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Its not just fonts. (i cant see them:i 've selected both utf-8 and tamil in firefox). U cant see the top bar in firefox(both linux and windows.) thats where the links to the torrent sites are ...
--N

suvitha
02-13-2005, 03:07 PM
i always use firefox. i dont have problems.

ns80
02-13-2005, 05:05 PM
hey narayana...do u mean the menu bar that appears above the google public service ads?

p.s - my name is narayanan too :D

yogesh220
02-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Its not just fonts. (i cant see them:i 've selected both utf-8 and tamil in firefox). U cant see the top bar in firefox(both linux and windows.) thats where the links to the torrent sites are ...
--N

athaaneee....... enakku theriyalaiyeee......

Kalyan
02-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Am new to Geetham... Whats firefox, is there anyway I could download it and try it out?

Shy
02-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Am new to Geetham... Whats firefox, is there anyway I could download it and try it out?

Kalyan, its yet another browser like IE.. Mozilla Firefox is a freeware, so there are many sites u can download from :D

shy

ns80
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Kalyan, to get a basic look and feel of firefox. u can try the earlier build of firefox(named firebird). needs no installation for this version.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/releases/0.7/

the most uptodate v1.0 needs installation though.

ns80
02-16-2005, 05:48 AM
makkale....those who are having trouble with tamil fonts. u probably might not have those fonts.

here is a site which has a huge library of fonts -> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/thamizh/1/

i too wasnt able to see the thatstamil article which jagga sent few days back. i installed the fonts and it seems to be working in firefox as well.

dynamic fonts seems to be working quite well in IE. but not in firefox. donno how to do that though :(

ns80
03-04-2005, 06:56 PM
there is a discussion about embedded media streaming in firefox here (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260). but dint work for me :(. if it works for you, please update this thread with your success story.

UPDATE March 4, 2005 4:30 pm EST: you do not need to install the media connectivity plugin to run embedded windows media on Firefox 1.0. ActiveX installation for Firefox 1.0 seems working :D.

nammavar
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I have not had issues with streaming media in firefox for as long as I can remember. The firefox media connectivity plugin detects the stream and tries to invoke the native player but incases of Real etc.. the content type itself is audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin which is usuaklly .rpm files. In this case Real needs to download additional components but cant play a plugin. So you are stuck with the embedded object.

I have winamp configured to play Real using the Tara input plugin - wma files can be played by default in the latest winamp.

madhu_aish1
03-04-2005, 09:21 PM
i use mostly firefox and had no troubles with font display.. i am not sure what kind of fonts i installed... sorry about that.

BTW if you going to install firefox install the new version firefox 1.0.1 .. its been patched for few holes

Narayana
03-05-2005, 04:46 PM
hey narayana...do u mean the menu bar that appears above the google public service ads?

p.s - my name is narayanan too :D
he he posting reply after a month.. :) yes. thats what i mean :)
--N

EDIT: One other problem i noticed was that I am not able to view some uploaded photos; I am not too eager to install activex in mine. So i've installed the IEView plugin which gives an option ti open link in IE.

ns80
03-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Narayana, there is a plugin called User Agent Switcher (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=156) which allows you to mimic IE and other browsers within Firefox.

Narayana
03-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Narayana, there is a plugin called User Agent Switcher (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=156) which allows you to mimic IE and other browsers within Firefox.
i installed it. What does it do? make the website think that i'm using IE? Still i'm not able to see the menu bar nor can i see the avatars of many. am using Firefox 1.0.1
--N

nammavar
03-06-2005, 06:30 AM
The User Agent Switcher merely changes the user agent. For e.g.
Firefox default is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1 and
IE is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

This will NOT make your browser behave like IE it only FOOLS the server into thinking that IE is requesting the data.
This is helpful for those sites that insist on IE for idiocy sakes but in reality have content that can be rendered quite well in firefox/mozilla.

BTW one of the most useful extensions that I love in firefox is the Adblock - try that out.

Narayana
03-06-2005, 06:07 PM
will try i t out.
--N
P.S: My fav is Flashgot plugin + leechget download manager.

ns80
04-02-2005, 04:18 AM
Here's a problem(which i'm having it since v0.9).

Sometimes when I start Firefox, it is not able to login to my default profile. and I have to create another profile. Today I got the same problem.

But I closed Firefox, and ran firefox -p and logged into my Default profile. I was able to login to it. Dont quite understand whats wrong :?

sri_gan
04-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Ns,

I had the same problem, but i deleted the default profile and logged back. Could be bug i guess.

ns80
04-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I had the same problem, but i deleted the default profile and logged back

but would'nt i lose all the bookmarks :think:. but i noticed something, whenever i get this error firefox.exe is already running (i wonder why should it be running, even an hour after i close the firefox browser), so i end task the firefox.exe process and start firefox(you dont get the error).

if you created a profile inbetween, you can switch profiles by running firefox -p

PS: a small request, why not rename this thread heading as "Firefox related help" and make it a sticky in "General Technical Help" :think:

Narayana
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
but i noticed something, whenever i get this error firefox.exe is already running (i wonder why should it be running, even an hour after i close the firefox browser)
Righto. Same problem for me... Sometimes when i try to open Firefox, it wont open... So i take task manager and close the running firefox(it shouldnt be running, BTW). Have you tried about:config in the address bar... tried tinkering with the configs?
--N

ns80
04-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Have you tried about:config in the address bar... tried tinkering with the configs?

nopes narayana....any interesting experiments :ee: sure...i too would love to try them :D.

Narayana
04-05-2005, 01:44 AM
ippo firefox has soo many problems... many links dont work... browser doesnt open.. sometimes if you open it, the homepage doesnt come, all those buttons are screwed up, cant type address,.. Hope mozilla guys make an update soon(I'm getting these problems only after the latest security update)
--N

sri_gan
04-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Narayana there was an update version 1.0.2 for firefox.

ns80
04-05-2005, 02:10 AM
I too experience some problems only after upgrading to 1.0. The main problems I experience are:

1. The identities problem i explained above.

2. Narayana, as you said, the page load/reload freezes. Though the browser doesnt seem to have frozen. I am actually using Reload Every plugin, but wondering if that is the one which is causing the problem.

3. This happens while I am using geetham. Sometimes you cannot use arrow keys,home, end or delete button and cannot select all, cut, copy or paste. This is quite a wierd problem which gets solved if you reload the page. I dont really have a clue why this should ever happen :think:

sri_gan
04-24-2005, 03:18 AM
Intha tamizh fonts enn olunga display aha mattengithu... i tried common unicode fonts Latha, Ilango_Bharathi and Sooriyan no use.

Any other fonts to give it a shot.

My OS is windows XP home/professional.

I have Windows 2000, with that I have no problem and the font i set is ilango_bharathi.

sri_gan
04-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Finally found out....

From NS80's idea, i carried out installation for easter languages and guess what it fixed the firefox issue now....

நன்றி ns80.... from firefox.

Narayana
04-24-2005, 05:47 PM
srigan,
i AM using 1.0.2 . many links dont work. i have to drag them to the URL bar...
btw, i never had a prob with tamil fonts...
--N

ns80
04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
many links dont work. i have to drag them to the URL bar...

very wierd, dint have any problem like that :Ksp: any specific site you are getting that problem. am still using v 1.0, feel v 0.9 worked lot better than v1.0 and up :Ksp:

me having a different kind of problem, when replying(quick reply as well as posting.php) some special keys dont work...like Delete, End, Home PgUp, PgDn and Ctrl+arrow key combos. however it starts working after you refresh the page, very strange :?.

emyesbee
04-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi

I am using firefox 1.0 in fedora core 2. I do not ahve any problem with geetham.net nor the tamil font. I had the problem in tamil font first but I installed some font (unicode) which I do not remember correctly and now I can work in geetham.com in my firefox very peacefully. I feel it is a really good and very fast browser and easy to work with also. Sometimes I get into problems with multimedia plugins but that is not because of firefox in my laptop since I did not install multimedia stuffs correctly in the prespecified spaces and so I do have problem with mulitmedia sometimes (not all the time). But I plan to reinstall fedora core 3 or core 4 (which is due to be released in june) I hope all problems in multimedia will go off

If anybody require which tamil font I installed please ask me I can send you my .fonts files, so that you can try those fonts and see of u can get tamil fonts in firefox

ns80
04-30-2005, 11:56 PM
As requested by coolian (bro! REZPECT :ee:)

http://www.tamil.net/tscii/faq3.html

i personally havent tried it, so you are the guinea pig for this experiment ;).

sri_gan
05-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Sakthi,

The font you installed is Ilango Barathi or Latha.. both of them are compatible in firefox, but depends on windows installation you have.

emyesbee
05-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi Sri_gan

I just have the following fonts installed on my system in Linux.

AMU_B_95.ttf kumudam.ttf Shree-Tam-0802.ttf tscmylai.ttf Vikat_tm.ttf
Eltpan-n.ttf kumudam.TTF tmnews.ttf TSCu_Comic.ttf

It may be Shree-Tam or TSCu_Comic. But still I am not sure. But it works in my laptop :)
:D :ee: :ee:

ns80
05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
For Firefox 1.0.3 users (http://javascript.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000723042896/)

Donno how far it affects, but nothing wrong in upgrading.

ns80
07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Any idea how to backup bookmarks from Firefox :think: Perhaps even backing up the entire identity from this machine and importing them to a different machine. Is there any way to make it possible :think:

coolian
07-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Results from Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ig&q=backup+bookmarks+firefox&btnG=Google+Search)

Narayana
07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
i didnt look at coolian's link, but i have this extension which automatically saves my bookmarks every time i close firefox. i got it from http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#bb
i find it very useful because if windows crashes(it is happeining more frequently these days) , my bookmarks are lost IF firefox is open at that time. anyway here goes. u can import the html file later from anywhere.
--N

ns80
10-12-2005, 04:34 AM
I am observing this problem only after upgrading to 1.0.7.

Everytime I close Firefox, I get this error reporting window :Ksp:

Is anyone else experiencing the same :think:

Narayana
10-12-2005, 03:53 PM
wat error? something like <address> referenced <some other address>. illegal read or somthing like that??

ns80
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
yeah something like that Narayana
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I downgraded to 1.0.6 now anyways.
~~~~~~~~~~
Tried 1.5 beta 2 for a couple of hours, does'nt have Flash support so far, offer a drag and drop tabs feature.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyone tried the greasemonkey extension and a bunch of scripts you can play around with it :think:

coolian
10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I've been using 1.5 beta 2 for quite a while (on my home laptop) and I love the easy management of tabs in that!

Haven't tried out the greasemonkey extension though...will have to try it out!

Narayana
10-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm using 1.5 beta2.(directly upgraded from 1.0.4). i dont think the problem is with firefox... some of my friends have this peculiar problem in XP... whenever they close a particular folder(just that folder), the error comes... and always... i too have the problem with Code::Blocks IDE... I think its an XP problem..... i searched everywhere 4 a sollution.. havnt found one yet...have you had any similar problem with any other app??

ns80
10-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Fellow 1.5 Beta 2 users, are you having trouble quoting text using quote selected :think: Quote selected works real fine with 1.0 series for me, but not with 1.5 :Ksp:

ns80
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Fasterfox (http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/) seems to improve the Firefox load times :think: I noted some difference in initial loading time though.

ns80
11-17-2005, 06:04 PM
1.5 RC2 does'nt seem to like my laptop touchpad scroller, it works fine and dandy in IE.

ns80
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Awesome extension (http://ietab.mozdev.org/) :D : I tried Live Mail works fine, except for the keyboard shortcuts.

Narayana
01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Narayan, quote selected too doesnt work in FF 1.5

WoW!! Excellent extension! No more "Sorry you need IE" problems.
Thanks a million. :b:

Edit: Its actually using IE... SO other extensions wont work in it.. :( how far is it different from using IE separately...

ns80
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I checked my process list after I switched to IE mode in one of my tabs. IEXPLORE does'nt run, that probably would save some memory :Ksp: One thing it would save me from opening IE, simply a switch would do the trick. There are quite a few things that dont work, try downloading an attachment from Hotmail BETA in IE mode. Lot of work needs to be done.

One thing I'd like to try and see if Tamil Unicode works perfectly in that mode :think:

At present I just use that mode for IE only sites, otherwise mine runs in Firefox mode.

ns80
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Firefox 2.0 alpha 1 got named into Bon Echo :think:
~~~~~
Actually find one useful featured, thats inspired from Opera: close button on each tab, rather than setting focus on the tab and closing, now you can close without the tab in focus.
~~~~~
Another thing I noticed just now, Geetham loads a bit faster than 1.5 :think:

emyesbee
03-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Another thing I noticed just now, Geetham loads a bit faster than 1.5

This feature is more important than anything else ;) Nana, is this version only for windows :think: does it have Firefox 2.0 alpha for Linux; b'cose I have not checked now. May be after gng home I have to see; I ahve not updated my lappy for days now :(

ns80
03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
does it have Firefox 2.0 alpha for Linux

But it is a tarball (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8/).

emyesbee
03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
But it is a tarball.

Then I have to compile it :(

I will wait for the complete version no need to take any risk now I think :think:

emyesbee
03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
I think there is a installer file (bin) in this link:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8/firefox-2.0a1.en-US.linux-i686.installer.tar.gz

anyway I will wait for the completed version

ns80
03-25-2006, 02:03 AM
I opened the Firefox 1.5 shortcut link(I already have 2.0 alpha installed) and it opens Firefox 1.5(I went to the about page after loading).

I had 2.0 alpha and 1.5 open at the same time and accessed Ymail using 1.5, the login screen looked 1.5-ish, after logging in it automatically changed over to 2.0 appearance. One thing I noted in that transition is that, the page rendering in 2.0 alpha is visibly faster than in 1.5 (or am I the only one feeling it :think:)

I havent tried loading 1.5 alone and not loading 2.0 alpha and tried. If the engine does'nt switch, we might have 2 versions of Firefox running on the same machine ;). BTW this was done only on Windows.
~~~~~~~
Shakthi, I remember running 2 different browser versions of Firefox(1.0.7 and 1.5) in my Ubuntu box. I think the filenames of both were different (one was firefox.ubuntu and the other was firefox). Although I dont remember, how exactly I did it :Ksp:.

emyesbee
03-25-2006, 04:32 AM
Shakthi, I remember running 2 different browser versions of Firefox(1.0.7 and 1.5) in my Ubuntu box. I think the filenames of both were different (one was firefox.ubuntu and the other was firefox). Although I dont remember, how exactly I did it

That sounds interesting. May be ubuntu gives you a firefox version with its OS :think: that is why it is firefox.ubuntu :think:

I have not installed new version of firefox yet, so I will not be aqble to comment anyhting abt the diff bet the old and new versions of firefox; but 1.5 is not at all good I simply dislike. probably I should try the new version in windows first in my lappy; before trying it out in linux ;) windows is the dumping yard in my lappy ;)

Narayana
03-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Another thing I noticed just now, Geetham loads a bit faster than 1.5 Thinking
:think: :think: :think:
if its prefetching, its no good. otherwise, i dont see anyway how the speed can increase... unless there's some bottleneck on the browser side....

ns80
03-25-2006, 10:34 PM
I tested the script speed using this site (http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html). Both gave almost similar results. Even loading times seem to be identical. mebe its just the rendering that is different between the 2 engines :Ksp:
~~~~~~~
BTW if you happen to visit blogspot blogs and you are already signed in and you are on the comments page, the browser tab doesnt close from there. I had to press the back button to the post and then close.
~~~~~~~
Narayana, I dont think it is prefetching anything. I dont see any network activity when the browser is idle.

coolian
03-25-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys use greasemonkey at all?

ns80
03-25-2006, 11:11 PM
You guys use greasemonkey at all?

I do, when using Firefox 1.5 and Firefox 1.0.7(Linux)

ns80
03-28-2006, 04:12 AM
cools,
does Realplayer streaming work for you in 2.0 alpha?

coolian
03-28-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm not sure, I alternate b/w bon echo and the old one...I'll try it out.

ns80
03-28-2006, 05:10 AM
So far, except for Tamilsongs.net, none of the other online streaming sites seem to be working with Bon Echo. MIO gave me an error for Realplayer, WMP plugin gets stuck at Player OK..Loading stage, it hangs at the loading stage with Raaga and Oosai too.

Anyways its the first alpha release, cant expect much out of it. But runs pretty nicely so far. Hasnt crashed in the 4-5 days of use.

ns80
04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
From Tamil word association thread -->

i cant see it correctly in firefox

Same here, Tamil fonts appear miniscule in Geetham with Firefox 1.5. Jaffnalibrary's unicode page seems to be displaying correctly though.

coolian
04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
:00: :00: :00: :00: :00:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5743/screenshot8ij.th.png (http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot8ij.png )

ns80
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
adap paaveee :00: just having Yahoo Mail Beta open in one tab has my firefox memory usage at 165 MB :00: not to forget the CPU usage when the folder refreshes and this dude runs Firefox with 101 extensions :00:

Narayana
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
:00: :00: :00:

ns80
04-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Read the story about that Superbrowser (http://splasho.com/blog/2006/02/26/the-superbrowser/)

ada naasama ponavane 1102 extensions'a :00: podhuma :Ksp:

coolian
04-04-2006, 03:15 PM
:00:

emyesbee
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Crazy

coolian
04-10-2006, 03:49 PM
[web:37cf00dd81]http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/03/26/this-may-help-your-firefox-memory-leak/[/web:37cf00dd81]

Nifty. I'm not sure if it works (even though I updated the config file) because I've some 10+ tabs open and don't really feel like restarting my browser.

Speaking of which - does anyone know of an extension that keeps a tab (haha pun intended) on the current state of Firefox (what tabs are open etc) so that even if FF crashes, I'll still be able to resume browsing from the point FF crashed? I bet there is an extension like that out there.

ns80
04-10-2006, 05:06 PM
extension that keeps a tab on the current state of Firefox

this (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2324/) one :think:

coolian
04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
That looks like it. Thanks!

ns80
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
machaans did you try 3.0 alpha 1. Ofcourse the first thing it did was to crash gaim that was running for almost 2 weeks non-stop. its still in pre-release stage though. More or less Bon Echo. Dont find much difference now except that the initial loading is much faster than present Firefox.

A link is on the page you posted.

coolian
04-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah noticed that, but I'll wait until future versions are released for testing. As it is, my laptop is filled with enough junk applications that are way too buggy...one more and it'll implode.

Narayana
04-11-2006, 05:06 AM
hmm... i'm using Session Saver. guess its all the same.

ns80
04-11-2006, 05:44 AM
cools actually there is a portable version.
~~~~~
my system is now completely crazy with 5 browsers(Opera, IE6 and 3 flavours of Firefox) :sm12: :sm12: Actually Deer Park sucks for now, Tamil fonts dont display properly, pictures look horrible. Anyways its just a developer testing build now, so a long way to go.

ns80
04-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Something's incredibly wrong with the Firefox 1.5 Tamil rendering, surprising thing is that Bon Echo is picture perfect rendering. check this out:

This is in Firefox 1.5 :
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3839/ff1p56jt.gif

This is in Bon Echo:
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1650/bonecho0uq.gif

Both Bon Echo and Firefox 1.5 are in installed versions and I'm not using any portable versions. Apart from this, I have Deer Park installed too :ee: though I never care to use it. This rendering problem however exists ever before.
~~~~~
Apart from the Yahoo Mail BETA crash, even without detecting that its an incompatible build. I dont have any qualms over Bon Echo. But hey, it perfectly recognizes Deer Park as an incompatible build and prompts classical interface :Ksp: Are Bon Echo and Firefox 1.5 that identical :think:

Shy
04-22-2006, 11:59 PM
pasangala.. I am back..

I have Firefox 1.5.0.2

Languages in Options has tamil[ta] added. but still tamil olunga vara mateenguthu...

yaarkku nala varathoo, please sollungo enna ellam sencheenganu..

In IE, geetham works fine thou :(

dinamalar,kumudam ellam nalla theriyarathu enakku in firefox.. athooda fonts ellam install senchuten..

Shy

ns80
04-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Teacher,
do you find the rendering something like the one I posted for Firefox 1.5 in the post before you :think: If thats the case, I still have'nt found a solution for that yet. As usual check if East Asian/Indic pack is installed in your Win box and Encoding is UTF-8.

Were the Tamil fonts working fine when you had Firefox 1.5 ? In that case give Bon Echo a try :P Except for the Y! Mail Beta crash and rare tab browsing problems, even though the its still at an alpha release it works like a charm, especially those Tamil fonts :P

It would install as a seperate installation but run the same process name (firefox.exe) so when you try to run two versions of Firefox, Bon Echo will override the older version. Unless you are using many extensions Bon Echo is defenitely worth the try :b: If you want to uninstall it, it would'nt affect your current Firefox installation.

yogesh220
04-23-2006, 01:21 AM
hey all,

I am a new user for firefox....and I installed it only today, so I guess I have the latest version(1.5.0.2)....

but, I could not install any of the extensions you are talking about....it always say me that

"Software installation is currently disabled.....click edit options to enable it and try again"

Well I have tried all combinations that Im could logically think of in the edit options page, but none of them seem to help me with my installation......could anyone help me?.... I tried that in both my home comp and lab comp...

Just one more question : when we click on a book mark it opens in the same tab, can we make it to open in a new tab....again I could not find a solution for this problem.....

Help me Comp geeks..... :)

ns80
04-23-2006, 01:27 AM
when we click on a book mark it opens in the same tab, can we make it to open in a new tab

Ctrl + Left mouse click
~~~~~

Software installation is currently disabled

Does this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_ex tensions_(Firefox)) help

Shy
04-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Teacher,
do you find the rendering something like the one I posted for Firefox 1.5 in the post before you :think: If thats the case, I still have'nt found a solution for that yet. As usual check if East Asian/Indic pack is installed in your Win box and Encoding is UTF-8.

Were the Tamil fonts working fine when you had Firefox 1.5 ? In that case give Bon Echo a try :P Except for the Y! Mail Beta crash and rare tab browsing problems, even though the its still at an alpha release it works like a charm, especially those Tamil fonts :P

It would install as a seperate installation but run the same process name (firefox.exe) so when you try to run two versions of Firefox, Bon Echo will override the older version. Unless you are using many extensions Bon Echo is defenitely worth the try :b: If you want to uninstall it, it would'nt affect your current Firefox installation.

Nana, East Asian/Indic pack?????? konjam ennakku puriyara mathiri thaan solrathu...:oops:

rendering ellam illai pa.. tamil padikara mathiri irunthaalae poothum, geethamla.. vasan, unnoda postla ellam ippo IEla open pani padika vendiyatha irukku :oops: :oops:

Shy

ns80
04-23-2006, 01:56 AM
tamil padikara mathiri irunthaalae poothum

aaaah adhathaane naanum sonnen :oops: font rendering thaan mean panninen previous post'la.
~~~~~~

East Asian/Indic pack?????? konjam ennakku puriyara mathiri thaan solrathu

idhathaan (http://www.geetham.net/forums/ptopic,228189.html#228189) naan sonnEn. Since you are already able to see Kumudham I dont its a problem with the settings or font installation. Anyways do check it.

ungalukku font eppadi theriyudhu ? oru screenshot pidichu podunga.

yogesh220
04-23-2006, 05:13 AM
danks a lot NS...both of the tips worked....cool...........

rendering ellam illai pa.. tamil padikara mathiri irunthaalae poothum, geethamla.. vasan, unnoda postla ellam ippo IEla open pani padika vendiyatha irukku

Shy akkaaa, namakku computer romba theiryaathu....but yeetho enakku therinjathai sollreen... there are a few sites that need to be opened up only in IE...and I am planning to use IE-tab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/) extension for all these sites.... and I think since you are going to use it only for Geetham, you do not have to worry much about popups and other web annoyances or security of using IE...

People,please correct me if I am wrong...

Shy
04-23-2006, 03:47 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8084/googletamil6zz.th.png (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=googletamil6zz.pn g)
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/503/setting6yi.th.png (http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=setting6yi.png)

Shy

Shy
04-23-2006, 03:51 PM
In that setting, having that checkbox checked or not, didnt make any difference :oops: :oops:

Shy

coolian
04-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey, Shy, I didn't read your post above, but judging from your screenshots, looks like you're having a problem displaying தமிழ் properly in Firefox - something I had some months back. I can't remember what I did exactly to make that problem go away, but I'll try and let you know.

Shy
04-23-2006, 06:03 PM
wow... you got it working :00: :00: :00: kalaku nee :b:

peechhh help me :sm03: :oops:

Shy

coolian
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
She, is this what you needed (http://www.geetham.net/forums/topic,17054.html)?

ns80
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Teacher,
Except for Character encoding you dont need to change anything in Firefox and yes that checkbox should be unchecked. This (http://www.geetham.net/forums/ptopic,228189.html#228189) was what worked when cools had the same problem few months ago (I did post last night itself just before yogi' post). Does this work :think:

Shy
04-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Deivamayeee...........

Nana..

:sm03: :sm03: :sm03:

Mikka infinite times நன்றி :ee:

Cools..

Antha post enakku theedi koduthathukku mikka mikka mikka நன்றி

Works like a charm now :dance: :dance: :dance:

Shy

coolian
04-28-2006, 03:49 PM
This is what happens if you use too many "good" extensions and scripts:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1305/ff4xb.png

And I don't know which one of my extensions/scripts is making BBC (and hordes of other sites) look like crap!

ns80
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/all.html) in Gujrati :think:
~~~~~
What are all the keyboard shortcuts in Firefox ?

Ctrl-T and Ctrl-W pretty obvious

F6 - address bar
Ctrl-E search bar

Any other frequently usable shortcut other than these ?
~~~~~
Has anyone used Mozilla Calendar (https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/208/) extension :think:

Narayana
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Ctrl-Enter : to auto-insert www and com
eg: Type gmail and press crt-Enter

similarly, ctrl-shift-enter: www. and .org
shift-enter gives www. and .net

P.S : Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab :ee:

ns80
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab

Equivalently Ctrl-Pgup and Ctrl-PgDn

rsivaraman
05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Ctrl-Enter : to auto-insert www and com
eg: Type gmail and press crt-Enter

Just hit enter to intsert www and .com no need for crt

ns80
06-07-2006, 08:24 AM
If you have more than one version of Firefox installed, open each version on seperate profiles. Dont use them on a single profile.

emyesbee
06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes that is very very important....

ns80
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
If you are'nt really good with BBcodes, HTMLcodes use this BBcodextra (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/491/) extension. But still no solution for quote selected in 1.5.x :evil:

ns80
07-07-2006, 05:06 AM
pasangala I need a help.

Can someone try this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Granting_JavaScript_access_to_ the_clipboard), replace http://www.example.com or whatever by http://www.geetham.net and check if quote selected works for you in Windows. I just tried it in Linux and it does'nt work :(

What this does ?
Grants clipboard access for javascript in Geetham alone. By default, Firefox 1.5.x denies clipboard access to javascripts. Remember this (http://www.geetham.net/forums/ptopic,210125.html#210125), by default that would work in IE6, but it would'nt work in Firefox 1.5.x. The script would'nt still work on that site after editing your user.js

Do post here, if the workaround works for you.
~~~~~~~~
Why does the quote seleted work in this site (http://www.quirksmode.org/js/selected.html) alone and not in Geetham :sm20: :sm20:

This thread (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2196268&highlight=phpbb+selected#21962 68) might be of interest :think:

ns80
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Building Firefox with Indic support (http://developer.thamizha.com/index.php/How_to_build_firefox_with_indi c_support) for Linux.

Anyone else wanna try ? I just started the build few minutes back. will post stories on the results.

ns80
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
July 15 is World Firefox Day (http://www.worldfirefoxday.com/en/faq.php)

Narayana
08-02-2006, 03:29 PM
hoi hoi... FF rules...

ns80
01-19-2007, 03:09 AM
There is an extension called 'Imglikeopera'. You can set the image load settings.
~~~~~
Narayana you might wanna try it, would reduce the load time a bit for you.

ns80
02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Split browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4287/

coolian
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Split browser looks very cool.

ns80
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
One more handy tab related extension: Tab Groups (http://paranoid-androids.com/tabgroups/).

coolian
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Split Browser sucks. I disabled it after 2 days.

Tab (http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Feature_Brainstorming:Tabs,_Si debar,_Windows#Tab_Groups.2FSt acks) grouping (http://wiki.mozilla.org/Talk:Firefox:3.0_Tabbed_Browsi ng#Tab_Grouping) is something that's going to come up in 3.0.

Idiot
06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
how does this auto reload works in firefox. I tried installing it but I unable to acess the option facility in that. Do I have to do something more for this ? :think:

davidmn
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
In the start window I get the button 'Try It' which I clicked. But it still ends after 10 minutes.