PDA

View Full Version : OPNET woes...

coolian
02-25-2005, 07:21 AM
O' IT/Networking Gurus of Geetham:

I kinda remember askin' this before, but has anyone in here used OPNET or NS-2 before? I'm modelling a MAC protocol in OPNET, and am wondering if the sourcecode for the T-MAC (or any other) is available in OPNET, NS-2 or OMNET++? Not much documentation on OPNET seems to be out there, and sifting through thousands and thousands of lines of Proto-C code is eating me alive. Gracias!

silican
02-25-2005, 02:49 PM
:sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

OPNET - The "Robust" Network modeller with "excellent" documentation. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can I forget all the fun I had with OPNET. :sm18: :sm18: :sm18: :sm18:

Though I dont beleive that you could find some MAC protocol in OPNET, Network Simulator might help. Some OPNET conf papers can help. Long live "Google" :sm03:

- Silix

ashokcsn_2000
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Can never forget that junky thing.. noone exactly knows how it works... but it works at times and doesnt work at time.. we all carefully modify the graphs in excel to obtain appropriate results... :lol:

If u think that documentation will help u... sorry dude there is very little out there...

NS is much better and easier to understand what is going on.... BTW has a better help too... Rather suggest doing something on NS rather than OPNET.....

silican
02-25-2005, 04:23 PM
For my "Network Performance Evaluation" course, I had a tough time getting the results. The results will go awry and most of the time I got a normalized graph. :sm12: So most of the time had to rely upon my instincts and luck. :?

- Silix

ashokcsn_2000
02-25-2005, 04:58 PM
So true and the worst part is that...

U get the results after some 14 hrs of simulation... :?

coolian
02-25-2005, 05:11 PM
So this officially sucks, then. I'm using OPNET for my research, so I can't switch over to NS-2 even if I wanted to. OPNET is incredibly powerful...yet so damn complex that frustration is the only thing I feel when I start it up. As for googling out OPNET resources...trust me man, I've reached the ends of the (cyber) world and read a billion papers in the process. Oh well...time will help me out :-(.

coolian
03-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Hmmmm...so there I was fiddling around with NS-2....damnnnnn....the amount of code is insane to the max...

sri_gan
03-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Enna nadakuthune yaarukkume theriya koodathuppa athan network ;)

cute
03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
coolian did u get a solution ? If not ask our doubt out, i will try to help if i still remember that crap :D

coolian
03-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Weird. I've a problem with Nam. When I try running tcl scripts in NS-2, I get an error msg saying:

couldn't execute "nam": no such file or directory

despite the fact that I've included Nam directory in my Path. Text-based simulation is fine...but heck, I'd like to "see" what is going on!! Anyone with a clue?

ashokcsn_2000
03-11-2005, 03:04 PM
try and see if ns2 is properly installed with all the tools... try searching for the nam file.... or try recompiling the whole thing once again....

here is a good link to using nam

http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/doc/node568.html