PDA

View Full Version : Sania alll the way

rsivaraman
03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Sania beats US Open Champ Kuznetsova
Sania Mirza pulled off the biggest win of her fledgling career when she upset world number 7 and US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in straight sets 6-4 6-2 and moved into the quarterfinals of the Dubai Open women tennis championship on Tuesday.

Sania, a wild card entrant, showed great character and played some solid tennis to upset her much higher ranked opponent in the second round of the high-profile tournament being played at the Dubai Tennis Stadium.

The 18-year-old girl from Hyderabad will face the winner of the match between Elia Silvia Farina of Italy and 28th seed
Jelena Jankovic in the quarterfinal.

The 18th seed Farina had handed United States' Venus Williams a rare first round defeat on Monday.

Kuznetsova raced to a 4-0 lead, giving enough indications of the things to come. But Sania had other plans as she won
the next six games in a row to take the first set.

Sania was always on top in the second set as she took the opening game easily before Kuznetsova levelled the score.

The two then held their serves as the score reached 2-2 before Sania stepped on the gas winning the next four games on the trot to book a berth in the last eight stage of the event.

this girl has got potential, lets hope she redifnes the status of tennis in India :cool:

-Siva

rsivaraman
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi moderators,
I think we have two of these topics. I guess katteri had posted it along with me.
so please remove my thread.

-Siva

http://www.geetham.net/forums/htopic,15122,.html

Thanks Siva.. :sm08:

Vasan