PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards: Are they boon or bane?

ns80
03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Here's a pretty interesting debatable topic. Do you think credit card is a necessary piece of plastic or a useless thing that is being given too much importance?

Bluelotus
03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
this is an extremely loaded question :think:

my father would say it was a major bane :ee:
let me think a little more....

you must admit though "credit" created our current capitalistic dream :think: if indeed dream it is...

blue. :think:

rsivaraman
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
credit card illatha orru vazhkaia, I cannot think about it. it is ofcourse a boon, provided you are good with finances and know your spending limit. :wink:

-Siva

prasan8181
03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Might be a boon. Atleast for purchasing online if not for anything else.

jaggy4u
03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
its a boon or bane depends on ur way of life.
Boon if u pay it down ;)

goodcomplanboy
03-02-2005, 09:10 PM
:sm12: three people said its a boon, but nobody voted.

Well for me its a boon, helps me a lot when it comes to online billing and other stuff. Ofcourse, if you dont manage your finance properly, then you it will turn into a bane for you. But generally its a boon.

Shy
03-02-2005, 09:56 PM
:b: Its a boon..

Credit Card or Cheque or Cash whatever it is, its upto to handle it properly.

But, Credit Card gives us more luxury and flexibility :)

More to come later

Shy

vasan
03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Use pannumpothu boon, pay pannum pothu bane... :ahha:

But since you use it for 30 days and pay once a month, so on the average its a boon... :Ksp:

Its just another convenient way to do stuff. Any sort of credit - be it consumer or other things - would be a solid pain if its not managed properly.

v-

king_143
03-02-2005, 11:59 PM
After I received my cerdit card I started spending more money than I USED to , I think my debit card was of more use (savings and spending) than my credit card. But some times I think credit card might help esp when you run out of money when you may have to pay your tution fees and you dont have an assistantship.

madhu_aish1
03-03-2005, 12:54 AM
2 thumbs up to credit cards....

it provides you a lot of convenience not just for buying but for consumer safety too.. if you are using a debit card you have little chance in winning a fraudulent attempt but with credit cards you are guaranteed against fraud measures... I have had disputes with my CC company and so far its been smooth and customer friendly ;)

another important point to note in US everthing is based on your credit history .. so to build a credit history over the years you might need 2 credit cards , a loan , mortage ..something..something to prove you are credit worthy (need to remember you need to pay it back on time without any penalty ..thats the catch ) ..

so yeah .for credit cards ..

kiddo
madhu

ns80
03-03-2005, 03:53 AM
I have quite divided views about credit cards.

one the flip it provides a secure mode of purchasing. protection against fraud or identity theft. also it really helps students under financial

on the other hand, the credit limit given to you by the credit card company makes you to rather overspend when compared to spending from your bank account or cash, you rather feel more money flowing out from you, which usually isnt the case if you have a credit card on hand.

vasan
03-03-2005, 04:13 AM
protection against fraud or identity theft

NS,

credit card thaan id theft-kku muthal kaaranamey... :Ksp:

v-

madhu_aish1
03-03-2005, 04:29 AM

NS,

v-

not necessarily... it might be responsible for online identity theft..

but in reality .even the garbage cans can be a good source of identity theft... even though i know about this i still dont shred my documents :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Priyanka
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Definitely it is a boon. Credit card illaatha vazhkaiya nenacchu kooda pakka mudiyalai ennaala. Ippo namba evvalavo edatthukku porom, varom. Atthanai idatthukkum kattu kattaa kaiyila panatthai edutthundu poyindrukka mudiyumaa? This is where credit card helps. So, definitely it is a boon.

Shy
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM

NS,

v-

not necessarily... it might be responsible for online identity theft..

but in reality .even the garbage cans can be a good source of identity theft... even though i know about this i still dont shred my documents :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:evil: :evil: its high time atleast you tear and through ur docs in the garbage, or else expect junk letters and telemarketing to harass you...

Shy

ns80
03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
credit card thaan id theft-kku muthal kaaranamey...

no vasan, as madhu says. it can be due to our carelessness to dispose the bills/documents properly and also due to lack of security in some e-com sites.

Atthanai idatthukkum kattu kattaa kaiyila panatthai edutthundu poyindrukka mudiyumaa?

PK, an ATM card would serve that purpose of taking money with ease right?. a credit card need'nt supplement that purpose.

rsivaraman
03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
PK, an ATM card would serve that purpose of taking money with ease right?. a credit card need'nt supplement that purpose.

ns, I don't think every place in town gives easy acccesiblity to an ATM machine. If you are going on a freeway during the night and you go to an unmanned fueling station, your only savior is going to be the credit card, not cash nor ATM. :think: :think:

-Siva

amurugan
03-03-2005, 08:12 PM
boon for the upper middle class and high class . bane for the middle class . In a way , credit cards has made an average mans life so materialistic that drives the economy .

anainar
03-06-2005, 09:53 PM
To me it is a boon. I have been a user of credit card for ages and never fell into the trap of over spending. It is even more useful to dispute transactions if there are problems.

When I came to the US, I did not take a credit card. I had a debit card which could be used a credit card too and I was happy with that till I was enlightened on one fine day by a presentation in our office by a Credit Union. They explained to me that though I am living without any credit, except that autolaon from them on which I am prompt in payments, the fact that I dont have any revolving credit does not instill confidence in lenders.

They accepted the irony that the system forces you to have credit cards and pay them regularly to establish your creditworthiness. I promptly took three credit cards, pay them regularly and my credit score jumped by more than 40 points in 6 months.

The point is, credit is an inherent part of our economy now. We had adages like "கடன் கொண்டான் நெஞ்சம் போல் கலங்கினான் இலங்கை வேந்தன்" which banished credit as a bad things. Actually it is not, as long as you know what you are getting into. My dad purchased his house when he was 45 years old. I could buy my own house when I was just 29. It is all because of easy availability of credit. Use it judiciously and enjoy life. Keep the concept of Diabolic Materialism for the coffee table arguments. :D :D :D

Three cheers to Credit cards and Easy Credit.

Priyam2004
03-06-2005, 11:41 PM
It's surely a boon...reasonbeing...its our flexible friend... :P :P

It's good to have credit card(s) as long as you pay it all back on time and making sure you don't get hooked (ie: addicted to spending with it). Best not to use it on a daily basis...just keep it as a backup... :D

Cheers NS :b: