PDA

View Full Version : Samba Server

cute
03-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Hello Linux experts arround here
i am in process of installing/setting up a samba server in mandrake 10.0.1 , and my problem is , i have followed many guides, but unable to see the files in samba server, i can see the dir but when i ls then nothing in it, its prop. because i didnt define username and password in samba.conf. can anyone tell me where to insert this username and password, and i am in a domain with a specific pc number.. so i have to define a pcname/domain / username(sameaspcnumber) and password ( in encrypted method) can anyone give me a good step by step guide ?

prasan8181
03-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Whoa! You are 19, and you are setting up a samba server!? That is geeky... :p

Anyway, I just have to say this here. Incase anyone knows anything about samba server and is going to answer this question, can you also please give an overview... like, what is so special about samba server, and what is an apache server by the way, and what is the difference between them... you know, kind of questions a layman would ask. Well I might never need it, but, it is good knowledge, isn't it. Thanks in advance.

cute
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
sure, i can tell u , i will write a articel for u and paste it here by tomorrow... ok ? well its not creepy, one of my friend's brother 11 years old, he is a linux nerd :D

prasan8181
03-09-2005, 06:16 PM
sure, i can tell u , i will write a articel for u and paste it here by tomorrow... ok ? well its not creepy, one of my friend's brother 11 years old, he is a linux nerd :D

Sure, that would be great. And about the 11 years old kid, ah, the new generation kids! Hm, but I sure have better memories of my childhood I would say... like Calvin. ;)

cute
03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
lolz... geethams is a bit slow in updating.. dunno why..

cute
03-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Q:
"can you also please give an overview... like, what is so special about samba server, and what is an apache server by the way, and what is the difference between them... you know, kind of questions a layman would ask. Well I might never need it, but, it is good knowledge, isn't it. Thanks in advance."

1) What is a samba Server
2) What is a Apache Server

I will try to answer your questions as simple as possible..

1) Samba is software which runs on other platforms thant Microsoft to give you a few eg UNIX, Linux, OpenVMS, and Much More. When all the settings/configurations are correct, it allows you to work together with a Microsoft Windows client or server as if it is a Windows file and print server. The Best part of all is Samba If Free :)

2) The Apache Server is a popular web server available on many operating systems. A web server is a program that, using the client/server model and the World Wide Web's Hypertext Transfer Protocol (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), serves the files that form web pages to web users (whose computers contain HTTP clients that forward their requests). Every computer on the Internet that contains a web site must have a web server program. Web servers often come as part of a larger package of Internet- and intranet-related programs for serving e-mail, downloading requests for File Transfer Protocol files, and building and publishing Web pages. (copy paste of googles defination)

AS you now got a overview u will understand its two different tasks... i am not much into apache server, i only use it on my webserver where i play with some .htaccess and other files.. orelse i dont play so much with apache :)
hopetheir are some informations you can use

prasan8181
03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Alright, here is what I understood from your explanation. Apache is just another server, may be a popular web server. And samba is a kind of server that provides a windows interface. But why a windows interface... alright, may be that is too much of a detail which I may not want. Anyway... thanks cutie cute. (Are you a boy? Why would a boy call himself cute? :think: If you are a girl, strange... girls dont take up linux :wink: )

cute
03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
And samba is a kind of server that provides a windows interface. But why a windows interface.... not thats not correct... it just communitaces with windows server to linux machine..

second question, I am a boy, a cute boy :P no actually this name cute is one of my best friends who used it once, and i just use it as its cool name :P