PDA

View Full Version : Uravugalin Varugai Sumaiya? Suvaiya?

Shy
03-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Saw this on net.

Thought we could discuss about this........

So the Topic is

"Uravugalin Varugai Sumaiya? Suvaiya?"

Pleas note, uravu doesnt include kids :P Coz ofcourse they are suvai :ee: Its the other forms of relations we want to discuss about ;)

Choose your team and team lead :)

Rules

(1) No personal attack :nono:
(2) No abuse talk :evil:

Any inappropriate post will be edited :b:

Shy

tinker
03-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Depends on who comes right , if its mama or athai with their girls or just their girls definitely suvai . Otherwise if its some distant relative with couple of biscuit packets in his hand then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sumai. :-).

-Tinker

Teena
03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Shy,

I want to know the meaning for the term "varugai".

Did u mean that relatives just visiting us or living together with us (like in-laws, uncle, aunt, chitthi, grandma, granpa, etc.,)

Shy
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
visiting us teena :) living together pathi appuram pesuvoom ;)

Shy

Shy
03-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Depends on who comes right , if its mama or athai with their girls or just their girls definitely suvai . Otherwise if its some distant relative with couple of biscuit packets in his hand then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sumai. :-).

-Tinker

oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :nono: :nono: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shy

anainar
03-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, it depends on who is coming. :D :D :D

In laws are a big pain in the butt. First and foremost, we have to be on our tows, drive them around like a chauffer if we want to go to bed with a happy wife. Then think 100 times before even doing the rudimentary stuff like wearing the favourite bermudas at home. :cry: :cry: Basically they expect to be pampered which is the pain. Any one who does'nt come in with this kind of expectation is always welcome.

For some reason, one's own family is always less pain. Even if I say no to my sister who comes visiting, she does not feel bad. Try telling the samething to the sister in law. All hell will break loose.

So, friends, relations, without a mountain of expectations, are always welcome.

Cheers

Teena
03-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh okay

You should have given another option......neutral

If relatives just visit us once in a while it is not a sumai. I can't say all the relatives are suvai. If there are reatives there will be defenetly a get together once in while or often depends upon the family.

I would conclude that they are neither suvai nor sumai. If we are born with relatives we are just committed to get togethers whether we like them or not & we are close to them or not.

vasan
03-11-2005, 06:35 PM
First Jaggy podattum. Appuram naan solluren. :P :P :wink:

BTW, should we include the 'proverbial' mother-in-law in the 'uravu' category. There are some 'வேண்டாத உறவு' also, you know.. :P :P

v-

too many single 'quotes' huh? :? :? Islanders are going to kill me 'softly'.. :ahha:

coolian
03-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Suvai, because I'm not yet married (phew!). It used to be fun watching how my dad/mom "tackled" relatives popping in uninvited. I just used to stand there chuckling to myself :ee:.

Bluelotus
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I adore family, well as long as they stay for less than 2 weeks with me :ee:

After that they usually wanna leave asap :sm12: :sm12:

Serioulsy though, cousins, aunts, uncles, even if 50 times removed....I just love spending time with them and getting to know them all over again.

And point of view in-laws, well don't have any myself. However I always thought it would be lovely to marry someone who was as close to their extended family as I am to mine.

If not family, who else can you shout at and make up with :ee:

Why is everyone always mean to the mother in law???? :evil:
My Grandmother is adorable and daddy loves her very very much. I want a mother in law like my granny too :P :P :P

the only thing is, although I love my relations, I always go into hyper mode beofre their visits :?
I just want to make it so perfect and have so many qualms that I worry too much. In the end I always kick myslef for having worried so much. :oops:

blue.

butterfly
03-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Relatives visiting is fine with me too I enjoy that time...but it also depends...if they are visiting me & my husband its fine if its here @ our place ;)....but when I go home to spend time with my parents I prefer spending it with them alone...uncs,aunts,nephews,nie ces ellam ok for a day or two but not more...coz u look forward to spend ur time with ur parents but they are so busy entertaining everyone u hardly get time to talk to them :?

as far as my MIL she hasnt had a chance to visit us here yet so cant comment :)...but am sure if she is visiting we will have more fun pulling her son's leg ;)

Teena
03-12-2005, 12:17 AM
I second butterfly.

Visitng us for a while and leaving would be better when we go on a vacation to India.Nothing can't be done if relatives keep coming everyday till we pack things and get back. I defenetly can't bear. :Ksp:

Married people living in foreign countries are leading a nuclear family and once in-laws/other relatives or other relatives except parents come and stay for a long period of time then that would go intolerable at some point. Thay will start influencing their own habits and attitudes towards the family. I did not mean they are bore of course they are our in-laws, our relatives we should do the best hospitality but soon days pass by it would become an emotional issue and troubles gets started . Once they are gone there will not be any harmonious relationship between the husband and wife like what they used to have before. (not all families, not all in-laws........some of them)

One of my cousin and her husband, kid was living very happily and suddenly her in-laws came from India and stayed for an year and then after that the things got totally changed in the family. Unfortunately both her in-laws are so mean.There is no fun & leisure time for her with her husband and the kid.

So all depends upon the FAMILY ,their closeness and understanding.

Priyanka
03-12-2005, 05:05 AM
"Uravugalin Varugai Sumaiya? Suvaiya?"

Athu nam veettukku varum uravinarkalin thanmaiyai porutthathu. Varravaa nalla manishaalaa irundhaa eththanai naal thanginaalum namakku andha sumaiyee theriyaathu. :P Aana sila peru irukkaangale.... Oru arai mani neram vandhaa kooda athu oru bayangara sumaiyaa theriyum. So... It all depends on the nature of that person.

itechlegend
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
ennapa ithu ellama ore vishayatha thirupi thirupi ore mathiri solreenga
uravugal suvaiya sumaiya? apdingarthu nama veetuku vara thanmaiya poruthu illa
i agree to disagree tat statement also tat wont completely depends upon the nature of tat person...

uravugal suvaiya sumaiya? apdingarthu antha uravugal namma veetuku vara nokatha
poruthu iruku i man the intension of their visit, for example namaluku romba close mama romba pudicha mama veetuku vararnu vachipom, munalam vantha ungaluku romba pudikum but ipolam vantha ungaluku pudikarthu ila, yenna ipolam vantha avar 100 or 200 kodu nu unga kita keta epdi irukum ? antha mathiri than !!!

oru samayam suvaiya iruntha antha uravu ipo sumai aiduchu parthingala ?

ns80
03-13-2005, 08:04 PM
nice topic shy akka...

Any new visitor is a welcome change(provided you are not a loner). i would really love to host any guest, be it a relative(distant or close) or a friend, it is really a "Suvai".

But it becomes a "Sumai" when...
1. the guest expects too much out of you.

2.criticizing the way you live(commenting in a constructive way is acceptable. but too much criticism or rough criticisms makes me get on my nerves). something like a V.Natarajan visiting Shalini's place in Alaipayuthey(dont take into account that they were perfect strangers, the same kind of uncomfortable situation comes even if you know the person, who is not be someone you see everyday).

3. doesn't get along with you and your environment. and if you are a part of a family, with the other family members as well, ofcourse the family members should be to the guest as well, meaning that they cannot feel private without the guest.

and in a situation where you go home to meet your parents after a long gap. i concur with what fly and doc said. i too would love to spend time with my parents, rather than having guests every odd day.

Priyam2004
03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Having the family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc) round...is a good thing...but it depends for how long. If it's for a long period of time, then...it may all become a bit too much to cope with...like the saying "Virunthum..marunthum moonu (3) naal" :D :D

Overall.....uravugalin varugai = sugam than...as long as it's not permanent :sm12: :sm12:

BTW: Shy akka...please correct me if I am wrong...but ivlo naala naa nenaichen suvai means 'taste' nu....appadi illaiyaa??? :think: Just, I can't work out how having the family round is tasty :ahha:

Priyanka
03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
BTW: Shy akka...please correct me if I am wrong...but ivlo naala naa nenaichen suvai means 'taste' nu....appadi illaiyaa??? Just, I can't work out how having the family round is tasty

Well. It depends on the context PQP. Endha edatthula andha word-a use pandreengangaratha porutthum irukku.

For example:

"Bharathiyin kavithai padippatharku suvaiyaaha irukkum" appadinna, rasikka koodiyathaaha, virumba koodiyathaaha appadinnu porul padum.
Aana athuve "Neenga senja sambar romba suvaiyaaha irukkirathu"nnu sonnaa andha edatthula tasty appadinnu porul padum.

Ippa purinjudhaa... illenna innum kuzhappittena ungalai? :oops:

Priyam2004
03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
PK akka :sm05: Rombe thanks :P....no no...kolapa illai...nalla explanation...once again....many thanks akka :b:

valluvan
03-13-2005, 11:16 PM
வள்ளுவன் : ஷைய்! நீங்கள் வைத்த தலைப்பில் பிழை உள்ளது.
ஷைய் : என்ன குற்றம் கண்டீர் புலவரே....சொ ்குற்றமா.... ல்லை பொருட்குற் றமா?
வள்ளுவன் : சொற்குற்றம ் ஒன்றும் இல்லை...பொரு ட்குற்றம் ஒன்று உண்டு....சொன னால் அடிக்ககூடா து......
ஷைய் : யாம் அடிக்கமாட் டோம்.....கூறு ்.......
வள்ளுவன் : உறவுகளின் வருகை சுமையா? சுவையா? என்ற தலைப்பில் சுவை என்று வரக்கூடாது .......சுமையா? சுகமா? என்றிருக்க வேண்டும். சுமையினால் வரக்கூடிய கஷ்டத்திற் கு எதிர்பதம் சுகம் என்பது அடியேனின் கருத்து...

Idha type pannitu thaan maththa thread-a paarththen.......PK-vum Priyamum idhaye solirukkanga.... :yes: ....I am in the same boat, I think. Hope this time the boat won't sink... :ahha: ..Just kidding....... :wink: