PDA

View Full Version : WHY do it in public!!!!!!!

coolian
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
This can happen only in India. (http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/specials/peeing/index.htm)
It's embarrassing. It's disgusting. It ruins the image of our country. So why the heck do people keep doing it?

mrs_sri_gan
03-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Itha pathi men kitta than ketkannum....... :ee:

colli..neenga men or womenhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/5.gif

rsivaraman
03-16-2005, 05:50 PM
It is disgusting, why do people do that!!! :00: :00:

-Siva

ashokcsn_2000
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
In India ll this is taken for granted.... Stricter laws and enforcements is the only solution...

coolian
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
No, it applies to women too. You've NO idea how many women were doing it on the train tracks - heck, I saw one do it IN the bus I was in, when I was a kid!!!!!!!!!

anainar
03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Why is it so embarassing to us? There are many reasons for that. In fact many villages dont even have toilets. What will they do to answer natures call?

We talk so much about urbanisation. There is not a single public toilet in MG Road, Bangalore or in Pune. And do the shops have toilets? No. And the ones who have, do not allow usage just like that. What can a man/women do in case they need to answer nature's call? In western countries, the case is different, because by law restaurants/shops/dept stores are to have rest rooms and are freely usable. That is not the case in India.

So, instead of writing that as disgusting, accept that is a way of life given the circumnstances.

Cheers

mrs_sri_gan
03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
yarukum puriya matenkuthu......atharatha adakinalum itha adaka mudiyathu......Inga ellam restrooms irruku....so prichanaiye illa...but nama orula athu illa....irunthalum olunga maintain panna matenguranga.....ithula girls enna? boys enna?

coolian
03-16-2005, 06:23 PM
True; so why doesn't the govt do anything about it? It's atrocious. We're spending billions on defense and all that...and nothing on hygiene? This is embarrassing.

ns80
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
What anainar said is quite true. I would add one more point, this comes into light especially when you are driving on a highway, where you don't have a public restroom even on a 50-100 kilometer stretch, and if it is there, it would probably be at a place you really can't find. I feel these people need to be pitied rather than being looked down when they "answer a nature call" somewhere in a highway. The same thing happens when you are travelling in a late night bus as well.

The people who do it on purpose, inspite of having a public restroom system, need an iron hand from the law enforcement.

Lastly, I wouldnt restrict such things to India alone. Wherever there's a lack of public facilities or a lack of law enforcement such things happen.

mrs_sri_gan
03-16-2005, 06:28 PM
ellam economic problem than...ketta erkanave India kadan'la irruku'nnu solluvanga...

Shy
03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
:doh: ithai picture yeduthu survey ellam seoyuraangala eppo :snooty:

Coolian.. we know the other side of the world and the facilities available when in need .. but back in India, first of all its not a rich country and also padichavanga kammi.. As anainar pointed out, in villages eppo thaan they are having this.. first and all, goundamani comedyla vara mathiri morning everyone take one sembhu and go to woods.. And many do till now, not because they are adamant and want to be that way, vasathi ellai.. politiians, celebrities ellam kandathukkum they pledge and spend money.. but not one try to do this ....

May be coolian, you might be been most of your life here and so this might be embarassing, but for many of us, its just a normal thing, coz its fault not just in the people who do that, also the govt :)

Shy

vijitha
03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
this reminds me the scenes from the movie Kaathal :doh:

coolian
03-16-2005, 06:42 PM
If we are lacking even the most basic things in life, if we're not doing anything to maintain hygiene...how do we expect to become a major power in the world, a nation other people will be envious about? I'm sure such things happen in China too, but at a much more limited scale; and China's one country even the US has tremendous respect (fear?) for. Someone's gotta do something about it - and nobody is!

mrs_sri_gan
03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
this reminds me the scenes from the movie Kaathal :doh:

:sm18: :sm18: :sm18: iioo..... nan sapittukittu irruken viji.

itechlegend
03-16-2005, 06:45 PM
vijitha which scenes form kaathal are u talking abt
could u quote atleast one scene

vijitha
03-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Sorry MSG :(

nope.. don't wanna quote.. watch the movie.. :ahha:

ns80
03-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Sidetrack -->

. nan sapittukittu irruken viji.

bobby :ush: ...ungala evan sapudum podhu indha thread'a paaka sonnaan.

mrs_sri_gan
03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry MSG :(

nope.. don't wanna quote.. watch the movie.. :ahha:

Paravala viji.....

pavam legend....ithukaga antha padatha therumba pakanuma....nan solluren....antha china piyan character...coke vankittu vanthu antha manssion guy'kku kudupanla.....ippa gybhagam varutha?????

Idiot
03-16-2005, 07:05 PM
mmm.. nalla.. nyabagam.. varudhu..

it happens really in many places in tamil nadu..

katteri
03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Ithai kettathum ennaku oru pazhaya sambhavm nyabhagam vanthuchi....

Around in 1979 one of my relative was Panchayath board president..To improve the basic sanitation facilities he asked for loan and constructed a public toilet. With 5 toilets for men and 5 for women.in a village of 200 people...He has asked all the people to use the toilet but 75% of them declined to use that..and still used open auditorium for discharge.... :?

One fine day there was a problem between two men.. and one chopped others hand soon police came they cordoned the toilet area and went away and public were asked to refrain from using the toilet and adjacent area....The case went for around 3 years...and by the time there were more snakes inside the toilet and people were not ready to use even after cleaning the area.......

Who is to be blamed???????

vasan
03-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Why do it? Lack of facilities for one.

Basic hygiene and sanitation are laudable goals. But thats why India is a 'developing country'. No matter what any one else says, it still is..

Forget the villages for a moment: Take Chennai for example. There are NO public bathrooms/toilets that I know off.. The central station railway has a few handful of bathrooms. The Parry's corner bus-stations do not boast of one decent clean stall. There are NO toilets any where else in chennai either.. (haven't visited many places, but I know there isn't any near Adyar station, or Saidapet or Besant Nagar or near Elliots beach, or near madhya-kailas/taramani area)....

None of the small restaurents (and ofcourse the zillion teashops) boast of any decent restrooms....

And the sad part of people in poorer areas/slums do not afford toilets or bathrooms.. heck, their houses are just one little shack... :( :( :(

I know and have grown up in villages too... The stories are even more sad... My elementary school did not have bathroom for students. Its true. Even now, for that matter.. My dad taught in about 5 or 6 schools his entire career, and not one of them had student bathrooms... Actually I would say, except for the City schools (and ofcourse private 'english medium' schools, not one of them have bathrooms all over the district. I can bet my bottom dollar, that the situation is not much different in any of the govt run schools in any of the villages in TN. (One good reason why my nieces and nephews now attend private schools is that the schools are cleaner and healthier. They don't fall sick as often as they would if they are in Govt schools.. !)...

And the question of disgust or why they do it in public is both irrelevant and/or 'naive'... Provide them all these, and if they continue do it, then you can legitimately ask 'Why oh Why'...

Until we meet these sanitation needs for all the 1 billion plus people, and provide clean drinking water daily (not one in a week.. :evil:), we would still be a developing nation only... However admirable our other progress and achievements are.. Not belittling the progress, but lamenting our efforts at basic needs..

Vasan

Shy
03-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Evaloo yen vasan, international Airport restroom parkanumae :( Even though its one of the busiest airport ... :oops:

Shy

jaggy4u
03-16-2005, 09:57 PM
cool..cool..
ithu thaan practical...nammalungha slow aa thaan munneruvangha..by default in future, we are gonna be one of the developed countries for sure, pacing up development includes providing sanitation facilities, which is not happening till now.. proper planning and courage from the rulers are the need of the hour. Ofcrse money is not a problem even in India now.

anainar
03-16-2005, 10:14 PM
A brief note on the budget outlays for water in 2004 budget

Rural Irrigation development Rs. 2800 crore
Rural Infrastructure Development Fund Rs.8000 crores
Water Harvesting - Rs. 3000 crores by LIC

In 2005 Budget

Drinking water outlay Rs. 4750 crores
Accelerated Irrigation Programme 4800 crores
Total Sanitation Campaign 630 Crores

So, where does all these money go? No one knows and we have a The Right to Information Act also with which we can question govt on expenditure.

Cheers

silican
03-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Money is not an issue guys. Again Education is not a reason. We are a really really old country and ask people to start using toilets overnight. Even though we have public rest rooms, To do it in the open or in public is Free while using a Public toilet in a Bus stand or a Railway station makes one pay money. Isnt that wierd ?? What do u expect a common man to do. He will jut unzip zip Winzip. :) in the public. That becomes pretty easy to stop constructing more public toilets or spending on maintaining them. :(
- Silix

- Silix

jaggy4u
03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Anainar,
I am aware tht you know Indian Law better than many of us.
The Right to Information Act that you pointed out, does it really exists? Can we question the govt by lodging a case in court and if so will the case go without too many adjournments?
The politicians are very crooked in India, they just enjoy the freedom that no one questions them apart from the opposite parties, which is another set of thiruttu kumbhal, so they steal all the money skewing out unnecessary reasons, so many 5 year plans has been hosted by this idiotic congress party and still basic development facility is not provided..I donno wat the heck they think of people there?
We need reforms in law to enact forcibly the development atleast for another 5 - 10 years till we get the basic facilties done.

Idiot
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Urination in public is not the only problem.. and spitting in public is also the equivalent problem in India.. which more people do casuallly without the feeling that.. they are doing something wrong..

firstly awareness must be given to the people regarding the usage of public toilets, and to stop spitting n public.... , wearing chappals while going out.. .

those who are not wearing chaapals.. it doesnt mean that they are not capable of buying chappals.. lack of awareness.. is one of the main reason, not having the thinking that.. it will be problem..

so awareness need to created among the people for usage of public toilets.. and about all those stuffs..

cheers

iig

Shy
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
very true iig(ennanga name ithu :think:) pakathula thaan kadai, oru ootam oodi poi vangitu vanthuraenu they will just run off without chappals. also kids playing without them :( awareness thaan important

Shy

Priyam2004
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Lack of public toilets is the main reason for this...and where there are public toilets hygiene is a huge factor...one look..and you wouldn't want to step in there....!!! :snooty:

vasan
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
A brief note on the budget outlays for water in 2004 budget

Sir.. :P

All shocking numbers. My home is STILL in rural area. NOT one rupee in the past 20 years have been spent on these things. I can bet my life on that statement.

All the tax money, and budgettin.. I have no idea where it goes..

v- :00:

ps: Teacher, I know about Chennai airport. Disgusting.. (especially considering every passnger pays 20 bucks minimum as air port tax, any time they have to use the airport)...

Recently though, my friend visited (like last month, and he was saying things have improved a bit..).. But I will believe it when I see it.. :P

anainar
03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Jagga,

The law is there and it is pretty straightforward. From the date of we placing a request, within 30 days, the PRO of the concerned dept should reply to your query. If he does not, one does not have to go to Civil or Criminal court, but Consumer Court for judgement. Consumer courts are in every district and it does not require a lawyer to present a case. All it requires is some time from one's busy schedule.

The law is there, enacted in 2000, but rarely used. It was used in an excellent way by a group of people in Rajasthan, who brought it down to the level of a EB Engineer returning 15,000 rs that he recieved as bribe. How it is used makes a huge difference. No one finds time and energy to fight. That is the problem.

Cheers

Idiot
03-16-2005, 10:51 PM
as far as i know.. in chennai- inside bus stand there is public toilet, in trichy, coimbatore, salem ( those places where i ahve visited recentlybefore 6 months) ahve public toilet in the bus stand..

In trichy, there is public toilet and one paid toilet side by side.. people thinking of paying 50ps. t Re. 1 for that paid toilet they will useopen space.. not even a unpaid public toilet..

recently when i was in india.. ( a year before.. ) one early morning in marina beach those who are all spitting in the public place was fined in the spot and the municipality commissioner visited that place directly.. and do all those things..

and for few days.. people didnt do that.. but again they started..
even we built lot of public toilets.. our public not only illiterate.. but even college students feels it pleasure ( adhuvum pesum podhu.. indian stylenu.. perumaiya.. sirichukittae.. solluvanga....) to use open space..

if people was giventhe awareness of keeping environment clean.. that is 75% success of a project..

chinglees
03-17-2005, 03:48 AM
goundamani comedyla vara mathiri morning everyone take one sembhu and go to woods..

Shy

:lol: :lol: :Ksp: :Ksp: adu seri daan

itechlegend
03-17-2005, 06:49 AM
nammalunga namma varikum ok va nu papanga
mathavangala pathiyio mathatha pathiyo
kavalapada maatan

yenna nama indian
be proud...

empa intha mathirilam india'la mattum thana? illa vera yethavadu country'la iruka ?

raghu
03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Why is it so embarassing to us? There are many reasons for that. In fact many villages dont even have toilets. What will they do to answer natures call?

We talk so much about urbanisation. There is not a single public toilet in MG Road, Bangalore or in Pune. And do the shops have toilets? No. And the ones who have, do not allow usage just like that. What can a man/women do in case they need to answer nature's call? In western countries, the case is different, because by law restaurants/shops/dept stores are to have rest rooms and are freely usable. That is not the case in India.

So, instead of writing that as disgusting, accept that is a way of life given the circumnstances.

Cheers

i accept what ur saying.......its very true..............when i went to bombay last year .i was so happy to see public toilets there, we pay and go and u know whats its not maintained well.they give u water only if u ask for it........if people dont bother to use water the guys who work there also dont mind.i was surprised seeing it.they have pipes in the room but kathudhan varum.........clumsya u need to get a big hose from the front room to flush.idhu evallo kevalam...........here we have restrooms where ever we go and r in good condition.....no wonder people in our country has to do it...remember our former prime minister DEVI LAL was photographed peeing in public...........primeminister analum sadha citizen analum selladhellam ADAKA MUDIYADHU..................... .......