PDA

View Full Version : help need-want to setup FTP server

paulraj
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi

i need one FTP server for my one for transfering large size files (500MB).How i can setup?i have my own computer .Anyone can explain ...

paul

silican
04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
If transferring large files is the purpose, I would suggest you to use Xitami or Abyss webservers. Just Install the server following the guidelines, start the server by double-clicking the icon and ur Server is up and running. Now open ur browser and type http://localhost you will get a welcome screen that will let you modify the settings and set a password.

Here is the link for Abyss -Abyss Web Server (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/abyssweb.html)

In case u need FTP Server, here u go:Home FTP Server (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/homeftp.html)

- Silix

anainar
04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow!! Does this mean, I can setup this FTP server in my machine and share files/movies with everyone outside?? Wont I need IIS or something from Windows?

Cheers

tinker
04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Wow!! Does this mean, I can setup this FTP server in my machine and share files/movies with everyone outside?? Wont I need IIS or something from Windows?

Cheers

You dont need anything , just download this software

http://www.cerberusftp.com/

and you can create ftp users and choose which directories you want to share with them. If you are thru a router or firewall , the software by itself will find the outside IP and work. I use this and it works flawlessly.

-Tinker

prasan8181
04-07-2005, 04:50 PM
That could come in handy. Thank ya Silix.

ashokcsn_2000
04-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Cheers

Yes Sure U can... U dont need IIS even windows Home Edition is fine... BUtthe biggest problem would be the upstream bandwidth and computers capability to cope with a lot of connections... Usually works if not more than 2 are connected to you at any time even if u have a good broad band connection at home...

try "serv-u" an excellent tool for FTP... hasfeatures for amatuer and advanced servers....

anainar
04-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Yep, I get the picture now. Most of the cablemodem companies do not allow setting up servers. But I am in DSL and have great upload bandwidth of 896kbps. Sure, it should work for me. Will try sometime soon...

Cheers

silican
04-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Yep, I get the picture now. Most of the cablemodem companies do not allow setting up servers. But I am in DSL and have great upload bandwidth of 896kbps. Sure, it should work for me. Will try sometime soon...

DSL with upload = 896kbps :00: :00: :00: :00: Screw Bellsouth :evil: Im not even getting 40 kbps for downloads.

- Silix

tinker
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Cheers

I have ran ftp server on cable modem also , you can do it Anainar.

PS: Are you on verizon dsl ? SBC gives me only 512 upload though I get 3MB download :-)

anainar
04-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Tinker,

Mediacom specifically said we cannot host any servers and that will be a violation of the contract. Besides they have their own router and firewall for each neighbourhood. That is the reason I tried Qwest/MSN DSL and am pretty happy with it so far. Mediacom gave only 256kbps which is pittance for uploading.

The downstream is just 1.5Mbps while mediacom gave 3Mbps. Upstream helps a lot in torrents. I can upload a 1.4 GB movie in flat 5 hours. And I have got 7.5 GB full DVD in 13 hours. Less time than ordering through net and waiting for shipping. :D :D :D. So, in a way my broadband pays off by saving money in buying/renting DVDs.

Cheers

ns80
04-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Im not even getting 40 kbps for downloads.

u mean even web downloads :00:. appo Earthlink evvalavo paravalla. i usually get 40KBps for torrents. 100-200 Kbps for web downloads. not bad..except for that damned 1 year contract :evil:

tinker
04-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Tinker,

Mediacom specifically said we cannot host any servers and that will be a violation of the contract. Besides they have their own router and firewall for each neighbourhood. That is the reason I tried Qwest/MSN DSL and am pretty happy with it so far. Mediacom gave only 256kbps which is pittance for uploading.
Cheers

I ran Ftp on comcast broadband.. and it is true high upload really helps in torrents download.

silican
04-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Any idea about the new Comcast deal on Cable ? $19.99/month for 6 months and no contract. :think: Any catch behind ths ? Im moving 2 a new appt shortly and looking for some speedy connection.

- Silix

tinker
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Any idea about the new Comcast deal on Cable ? $19.99/month for 6 months and no contract. :think: Any catch behind ths ? Im moving 2 a new appt shortly and looking for some speedy connection.

- Silix
No catch whatsoever , you can take it. One of my friend got it and hes happy about it. Usually after 6 months if you call them and whine , they may extend the same rate for another 6 months.

Try this link

http://www.comcastspecial.com/

-Tinker

ns80
04-07-2005, 06:20 PM
silix,
go for it :b:. i called up Comcast(when i was setting up internet connection for my home) asking them about the conditions. there were none. the only problem is i could'nt get Comcast on my side of the apartment complex :cry:

silican
04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
When I was in VA, I was told that the deal is applicable only for Comcast cable TV customers. I hardly watch any TV and so didnt bother much. Should dig a bit more on this and should grab this one. ;)

- Silix

ns80
04-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I was told that the deal is applicable only for Comcast cable TV customers.

this should be a internet only deal. but 19.99 is a really good one. last time when i enquired, Comcast was the best deal at 47$/month.

paulraj
04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
SILIX AND TINKER

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.Actually i ahve installed both the
Abyss -Abyss Web Server and Cerberus FTP server.It seems both looks fine.

I want to give IP ,login and password to my friedn to share the file .How i can get those information in both .I using DSL connection

silican
04-08-2005, 04:44 PM
the easiet to do is goto www.whatismyip.com. This will give ur IP adress. Also dont let anyone access ur server. Its better to create a seperate account/folder for ur friend and give them access only to that. Dont give away ur Master login/password info to anyone else, unless u need some trouble. :)

- Silix

paulraj
04-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Silix

Thanks for your information.I have one doubt that i am using DSL ,the ip will change when ever i disconnect my compu from internet.how can i get static ip?