PDA

View Full Version : help for searching Ph.D. availabilities

Idiot
04-17-2005, 01:35 AM
hai all,

I need to know more details regarding Ph.D., openings available in Germany, UK, EU, US and in Canada.

Is their any specific websites available for every countries?

Some one can able to guide me in this regard.

Expecting all your suggestions.

ns80
04-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Try this link, http://phds.org/ . This does not give you research openings, but can help you with some general PhD related info. Can you be more specific about what kind of information you are looking for :think:

Idiot
04-17-2005, 01:57 AM
I am just starting my search of Ph.D., I need everything like

1. Universities available
2. Qualification required ( GRE AND TOEFL)

1. What they will specifically look for in ph.D. application like final grade r Thesis done r they will be evaluated with their interview r something with the prof.

and for USA, how GRE and TOEFL is calculated for ph.d., applications.

As I am starter in this Even i donno more.. If u say something I will go through that and I will ask doubts what ever I have

GGG
05-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Have a nice search iig. i guess u r doing this search well in advance. its better to do this search when u in the final stage of ur course.. becos in germany lots of things r getting changed everyday.

good luck for ur search..

siegenuni
05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
iig u can try

www.daad.de for phd positions in germany.

Idiot
05-13-2005, 08:11 PM
thank U GGG..

germany oru orathula santhoshama irunthalum innoru pakkam payama thaan irukku..

thank u siegen uni..

dinesh
05-13-2005, 08:19 PM
iig......What is the subject you are looking for? Is there any reasearch areas you are interested in? There are some very good universities in the UK, but not all are good in every subject, so you must limit your search to the ones that are reknowned for a subject.

British governemtn provides ORS - overseas research scholarships - to many foreing students who want to do reaserch in the UK. This covers a big part of your cost. Additionally the university will have some funding related to the research project, which they will allocate some to you. Look here - www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/ors/ - for info about ORS.

Idiot
05-13-2005, 08:28 PM
thank u dinesh..

i am doing process engineering. so i am looking for some ph.d. positions related to the same field.

thanks once again for ur ideas.. i am looking in to the link u have given.

kiransurya
12-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Try this one as well.
www.findaphd.com

Idiot
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
thank u kiran surya..

very good site and helpful .

valluvan
12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Related topic........ May be useful. Try this one. :b:

----------------------

Those who are living in Germany / Need info for new comers to Germany. Go through the below link ;

http://www.southmeets.com -The meeting points for Indians...

The purpose of SouthMeets.com is to bring together the Indians living in Germany by providing an online platform for mutual interaction with the help of following features ...

----------

Mit Freundlichen Grüßen

- Valluvan :ee:

Idiot
12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
kalakureenga valls..

auch freunlichen Grüßen

valluvan
12-28-2005, 06:03 PM
IIG....useful-a irukkannu comment pannunga...use pannittu. :b:

Idiot
12-28-2005, 06:05 PM
yup pathaen.. looks good.

will register it .. konjam athula velaiyaditu solluraen :ee:

valluvan
12-28-2005, 06:35 PM
konjam athula velaiyaditu solluraen

:Ksp:

--------

My friend reffered it. It's a good site.

Idiot
12-28-2005, 06:36 PM
enna achu valls

valluvan
12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Adhu game site illappaa. Some info. site, I think. :think:

Idiot
12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
konja naal use pannitu appadigaradha thaaan appadi sonnaen :pray:

valluvan
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
oh....appadiya. Use pannittu post your comments..... :D :P

Idiot
12-28-2005, 06:58 PM
nichayamaaaaaaaa

vasan
12-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I am just starting my search of Ph.D., I need everything like

1. Universities available
2. Qualification required ( GRE AND TOEFL)

1. What they will specifically look for in ph.D. application like final grade r Thesis done r they will be evaluated with their interview r something with the prof.

and for USA, how GRE and TOEFL is calculated for ph.d., applications.

As I am starter in this Even i donno more.. If u say something I will go through that and I will ask doubts what ever I have

i am doing process engineering. so i am looking for some ph.d. positions related to the same field.

IIG,

Welcome to PhD stuff.. :b:

First things first though.. Are you totally sure? In US, you are looking at a 4-6 year long committment and unless you are quite quite willing and committed, its not fun. So, be warned. :D

Secondly, process engineering is a very broad area. I am assuming that you are now working on some degree program (may be an MS), and if so, would you like to continue doing very much close to what you are doing? If you are indeed doing research, you must have read several research papers. Look at the more recent ones, and see who are the authors. Chances are that you will find several profs from US on those papers. You can apply to those schools. In fact, if you want to change into some other 'more interesting' area of research also, you can find several authors/profs in these papers, and you can apply to their schools. (if its my research area, I can comment better.. unfortunately I am not working on process related stuff!).

How do you know if there is phd available? If its a school, it has a phd program. In USA there are no such thing as phd availablity. Its there. If you can get an admission.

How to find out if there is enough research money with the prof? Only he knows it. Chances are though, if he is publishing tens of papers, and has several students and post-docs, he has money. If he is working on a topic that is of interest, write to them. More often than not, unless a guy is working in the very same lab (or knows some one in that lab) he will have no idea about the financial position of the lab.

So, how to apply?

1) Choose your area of interest. Check the research papers and conf. proceedings and pick a list of 20 profs who are working on your field of interest.

2) Check each of their webpage. See how many recent publications they have, how many students they have and so on..

3) Narrow it down to 10 profs, which means 10 schools. In general, the faculty that publishes good many great works are in schools that are really good research-wise. Chances are that they are in the top 100 schools in US. So no worries there.

4) From their web pages, find their contact info, and send them emails and tell them you want to apply there..

5) TOEFL is a must. GRE is also a must. Often the scores you get are important. Sometimes they are not. If you have terrific academics (say president Gold Medalist, IIT Madras, MS from Stuttgart with 4 research papers in IEEE, forget about all that), just apply to any school. You will get an admission! In case you don't have such creds, but not too bad either, its best to have a good score. It won't get you an admission, but it will not harm you. In any case, its REQUIRED by the school for most admissions. Only very exceptional cases do they forego such stuff.

5) Once you have the scores, apply to the schools. If you are looking at Fall 2006 (most schools admit students only in Fall, which starts in late july-early sept), you must submit your applications by Feb 2006 (done point 1-4 by then!!).

6) You need to make sure that the apps and other material clearly state that you are looking for financial assistantship.

7) Keep email touch with the profs you want to work. Inform them about your apps, and ask them about it..

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thats it. :b:

There is a good chance that you will get an admission. Usually its pretty straight forward. When I applies eons ago, I chose 6 schools (two top, two mid-rank and 2 not so great). Note that in all the schools the profs I applied were truly doing great work, but the school rankings are different. So, sow your seeds wisely. லாஸ்டா அந்த மாங்கா உங்களுக்கு தான்.. :P :P

Good luck!

v-

Shy
12-30-2005, 12:36 AM
visa related question...

PHDkku enna visa.. are they F1 too?

Shy

vasan
12-30-2005, 12:38 AM
All students have F1 visa.

F1 means a student. He/she is not allowed to work on any off campus jobs. On campus also, he/she is allowed for 20 hrs a week, provided that job is related to studies or directly benefit the student.

I am on F1 too.. :ee:

v-

Idiot
12-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Thank you very much vasan for detailed reply.

I will be back with my queries in next week.

thank you once again.

vasan
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Sure. :)

Good luck again, IIG !

v-

seny
01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
iig, you could try http://tiptop.iop.org .. i guess you wuld have tried it already, anyways..

hey by the way, if someone is looking for scholarship for masters programme in EU countries, check out the erasmus mundus scholarship programme.. there is another thread about it..

------
Seny

lasik
01-26-2006, 12:50 AM
good info vasan. :b: iig vasan's info and advice is the best way to start ur search. :b: All the best.

first of all, u need to be really organised to process this. decide when u r planning to join, accordingly divide ur days for TOEFL, GRE and application sending.

u first decide on which area u want to work. if u r badly in need to get admission in foreign university, then dont be focussed on one topic of research area i.e., u r into process engr now right?u must be doing some project on specific topic right? there must be some other topics in ur area itself right? so dont restrict urself to the same project topic for phD.
bcoz when u apply for industry jobs after phD, if u r vesatile in ur area, it wud be an advantage.

then, regarding GRE and TOEFL, TOEFL is a must in all univ.in most of the US univ GRE is must.
in some of the canadian univ, if the concerned prof whom u contact doesnt need ur GRE score,
then he can waive GRE. TOEFL is must. Mainly the admission depends on ur gpa of ur current program and TOEFL , GRE score.

As vasan told, u collect the info reg profs ,their research interest, funding and publications.
if any of ur current profs know detail about the profs doing good research in ur area, consult with him. bcoz ur prof may've more contact.

If u have any idea on what type of project u want to work on for ur phD, then prepare a prject proposal that wud be an added advantage.

if ur joining in any of canadian univs, visa is not a problem at all. not like US. its flexible.

all the best iig

lasik

krishng
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
oi oi.. good and detailed info.. super vasan. naan eppadi indha thread miss senchen..

cheers,

Idiot
01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
neenga appo geethmla oru pathu naaal illai :ahha: :wink:

krishng
01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
oh ya ya.. correct.. but any ippo paarthutten.. good info..

cheers.

Idiot
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
romba thanks lasik.. :sm03: :sm03:

have looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooong way to go.. still :Ksp: :Ksp: :ee:

krishng
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
have looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooong way to go.. still :Ksp: :Ksp: :ee:

good.. :ahha:

cheers.

Idiot
01-26-2006, 05:01 PM
:Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :00: :00: :oops: :oops:

lasik
01-26-2006, 05:38 PM
enna iig, vasan ivalavu type panni irukkaaru ore vaarthela long way to go nnu solliteenga. :?

atleast give him an update at level r u now? :wink:

do ur level best iig u will get it :b: :b:

lasik

Idiot
01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
nichayama update pannuraen..

still in process appadingaradhaaaaa thaaan appadi sonnaen lasik..

lasik
01-26-2006, 05:46 PM
oh appadiya, continue continue

lasik

krishng
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
kandippa update seyyuvaar iig.. dont worry lasik.

cheers.

Idiot
07-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks v-, krish, ggg, lasik and all others :sm08: for suggestions and advice

vasan
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
eggy.. :wink: :)

kalakkunga.. :wink:

2006-la update panna solli krish sonnathukku marakkaama 2008-la post pottu asaththiteenga.. :clap: :clap:
Krish-kku poruththamaana kuselan- neenga.. :clap: :sm03:

v-

Idiot
07-30-2008, 05:14 PM
eggy.. :wink: :)

kalakkunga.. :wink:

2006-la update panna solli krish sonnathukku marakkaama 2008-la post pottu asaththiteenga.. :clap: :clap:
Krish-kku poruththamaana kuselan- neenga.. :clap: :sm03:

v-

Naan open panna thread eppadi marakka mudiyum v- :ee:

நன்றி மறப்பது நன்றன்று'ன பெரியவங்க சொல்லி இருகாங்க இல்லையா v- :wik:

Minnie
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
:Ksp::Ksp::Ksp::Ksp::Ksp:

Idiot
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
enna ingae vanthu muzhikareenga :snooty: :snooty:

Minnie
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
enna ingae vanthu muzhikareenga :snooty: :snooty:

tamil'a yetho naa,naa,naa solli irukkinga athaan :rolleyes:

Idiot
07-30-2008, 05:39 PM
tamil'a yetho naa,naa,naa solli irukkinga athaan :rolleyes:

உங்களுக்கு தெரியாத தமிழா சொல்லுங்க :ee:

emyesbee
08-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Good luck iig!

yasodha
08-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Intha thread miss pannitten iig sir...all the best...:ee: seekiram nalla padichittu veliya vaanga....:sm08: