PDA

View Full Version : ..another outsourcing

raghu
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
UK exam papers to be evaluated in India

Monday, 25 April , 2005, 13:13

London: In a new twist in the debate over outsourcing, some half a million exam papers from Britain's main secondary school leaving certificate are to be graded in India to save money, the Daily Telegraph newspaper said on Monday. Also read: We're gonna get a BPO union, dude!

The paper said that AQA, one of the three boards in charge of marking papers for the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) examinations this year, had signed a contract to scan some 500,000 of the papers for history, French, German and Italian and have them emailed to a firm in India.

The Daily Telegraph quoted a former employee of AQA as saying that a number of papers which had already been sent to India under the deal had been returned late, raising fears for the new operation.

"If there are delays when we send out a few thousand papers, what will happen in the summer, when half a million go out?" he was quoted as saying.

The exam board however was optimistic. "We are not aware of any problems with the process and all papers have been returned on schedule," an AQA spokesman said.

The board added that the papers being outsourced for grading all required only one-word answers.

The Daily Telegraph said that the wages paid in India to the people who marked the exam papers were a fifth of what would have been paid in Britain.
from sify

bharanishan
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
hey ...enappa ithu ...eppadiyo indiala velaiyilla thindaattam kuraincha seri.....

emyesbee
04-25-2005, 01:15 PM
ennum konja nalla ella country governmentum Indiala start paneeruvaanga pola :) :lol:

Shy
04-25-2005, 01:33 PM
mm... good for india :b:

But grading a foreign country's school papers seems to be too much...

Shy

Priyanka
04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Enakkennamo ithellaam konjam over-aa theriyuthu. :?

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
The board added that the papers being outsourced for grading all required only one-word answers.

This is not a rocket science to be overwhelmed about, enakku ithu ellam normala than theriyuthu overa ellam theriyala.

One word answers enga thirutha patta enna? India la job pool innum jasthi aguthu very happy about it :D.

anitam
04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Pochu.... UK-la ellarum fail.

Grading other country papers is too much.

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Pochu.... UK-la ellarum fail.

Grading other country papers is too much.

Anitam,

Globalization inniki irrukura trend athu.

seri amma grading other country papers too much nu aal alukku sollurengale (could you give us more knowledge why you guys are saying that..)... we studied other country languages, we work with other country businesses athukellam, we even work with other country inventions, space crafts etc...

Athellam vida we do the Customer Support (Call Center) from India for other countries.

Why your fellow indiankku teacher mari vellai kidaicha pudikalaiya?

Indian knowledge na elakarama irrukka? One word test kku thane mark poduranga.

enn unga vayasula unga fellow friends oda paper thiruthunathu illaya?

Nenga type pannura english kuda innoru coutry odathuthan athukellam too much potta evalo too much poad mudiyum :sm12: :sm12: :sm12::sm12:

Yaarchum ethachum sollira koodathu athe appdiye bit ottura mari ottaira vendiyathu

Yaarellam toomuch nu sonningalo ellarum inga vilakkam kodunga :snooty:

goodcomplanboy
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
London: In a new twist in the debate over outsourcing, some half a million exam papers from Britain's main secondary school leaving certificate are to be graded in India to save money, the Daily Telegraph newspaper said on Monday. Also read: We're gonna get a BPO union, dude!

:sm12: namma ooru Government Exams corrections'leye examiner mood'a poruthu thaan mark varum, ithule naadu vittu naadu veraya. Urupatte maathiri thaan :doh:

anainar
04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Sri,

Correcting objective type answers is a different thing. Computers do that and that is what many companies like Pearson/NCS in the US do. They manage scores of many competetive exams.

But correcting higher degree papers, especially which require understaning writing, communicatoin habits is not the right thing to do. That is the reason many institutes are being given autonomous status so that they not only set the curriculum, they also handle correction themselves. Detaching exam from the teacher who taught that defeats the whole purpose of education. I am against the public exam hoopla and university exams too.

Cheers

coolian
04-25-2005, 05:15 PM
This is sad, and nothing to be proud about. A country dumps its crap on us, and we gleefully take it. We are working for them.

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
But correcting higher degree papers, especially which require understaning writing, communicatoin habits is not the right thing to do. That is the reason many institutes are being given autonomous status so that they not only set the curriculum, they also handle correction themselves. Detaching exam from the teacher who taught that defeats the whole purpose of education. I am against the public exam hoopla and university exams too.

Anainar,

Media romba hype kodukuranganu enakku thoonuthu. I don't think they will be outsourcing theory papers avangalukku ithu theriyum.

And regards, to

Detaching exam from the teacher who taught that defeats the whole purpose of education. I am against the public exam hoopla and university exams too.

naanum unga katchi than :yes:

Priyanka
04-25-2005, 05:45 PM
This is sad, and nothing to be proud about. A country dumps its crap on us, and we gleefully take it. We are working for them.

Coolian! :yes: Great men and women think alike.

coolian
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
:sm10: :sm06: :b:

anitam
04-25-2005, 07:18 PM
seri amma grading other country papers too much nu aal alukku sollurengale (could you give us more knowledge why you guys are saying that..)... we studied other country languages, we work with other country businesses athukellam, we even work with other country inventions, space crafts etc...

Koncham porumai... sri_gan don't get tensed... as long as i'm concerned, if my school papers are evaluated outside country... I more concerned about, since education system may be different in other countries.. Namma oorla... irukkra subject summai entha oorlayum na paakkla..

Athellam vida we do the Customer Support (Call Center) from India for other countries.

Ha, don't compare customer support with paper evalution...

Why your fellow indiankku teacher mari vellai kidaicha pudikalaiya?

Acho romba santhosham.......

Indian knowledge na elakarama irrukka? One word test kku thane mark poduranga.

Neenga sonna vudanetha one word answers-nu pathen...

Nenga type pannura english kuda innoru coutry odathuthan athukellam too much potta evalo too much poad mudiyum :sm12: :sm12: :sm12::sm12:

English type panrathukum, paper evaluation-kum enna samantham ?????

Yaarchum ethachum sollira koodathu athe appdiye bit ottura mari ottaira vendiyathu

Unga pazhakkatha engitta sollatheenga sir........ na verum raghu post mattum than padichen... that too top 5 lines... thats it..

Yaarellam toomuch nu sonningalo ellarum inga vilakkam kodunga :snooty:

Ethukku na pathil sollala ... mathavanga solluvanga.

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 07:33 PM

So nenga ella solla varingana...thali padukuravanaiyum vidamattenu solurrenga appadiya?

Microsoft le vellai na vangalam, India kku BPO na... Crapa ennapa pesurenga.

These sort of orders in one way are business to India.

I know how may IITians dream to come to US for studies instead of getting the best for that country... CBS le oru interview parthen top rankers kitta vachu kettan... ellam nakka thongapottukittu enna sonnanuganu theriyum. They have the best education in the country and they have the 100% assurance to get the job in the branch they took, but guess what, how their brain works?

Atha vida ithu onnun crap illai.

Human Products ahurathavida, Products Humans kitta varathu entha vithathulaiyum crap illai.

Innoru Style le sollanum na:

Namma Microsoft kitta USle work pannuratha vida, Microsoft Namalukku vellai kodukurenu namma naatukku oodi vantha athu thappe illai ;).

So Ippa enna sollurenga?

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Anitam,

Koncham porumai... sri_gan don't get tensed... as long as i'm concerned, if my school papers are evaluated outside country... I more concerned about, since education system may be different in other countries.. Namma oorla... irukkra subject summai entha oorlayum na paakkla..

Ahha... Appdi podunga.. :yes:

Tension ellam aavala, ore mari nallu post partha enga irrunthoo enakku virruttu virruttu nu type pannura balam vanthuruthu ennu theriyala.

Ippa sonninga oru point education system difference valid point. Anna AQA enna solli irrukanga only oneword Answers than thirrutha indiakku koduthoom sollirrukanga... so enakku intha news oru periya visheyama padala.

Ha, don't compare customer support with paper evalution...

Technical Customer Support is really not a joke and many time when I called i landed only with indians, nalla help pannuvanga.

Acho romba santhosham.......

enn nenga chinna pullai la top rank eduthu unga vathiyaar unga friends paper thirutha sonnathu illaya... naan thiruthui irrukken antha feeling eppadi irrukkum nu enakku theriyum :sm12:.

Neenga sonna vudanetha one word answers-nu pathen...

Athu :yes:

English type panrathukum, paper evaluation-kum enna samantham ?????

Ellam onnukule onnuthan.

Unga pazhakkatha engitta sollatheenga sir........ na verum raghu post mattum than padichen... that too top 5 lines... thats it..

Appdiya... ithukku naan enna pathil sollurathunu theriyala but sir naa enn language le naayee nu artham nenga etha mean pannunenga :D.

Ethukku na pathil sollala ... mathavanga solluvanga.

Varttum varattum, vazhi mela enn mutta kanna vachittu kathukittu irruken.

anitam
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Appdiya... ithukku naan enna pathil sollurathunu theriyala but sir naa enn language le naayee nu artham nenga etha mean pannunenga .

Unmaiya solluna kashtamthan.........BTW "sir' nu mariyathaikuriyavangla..... enga oorla solluvanga. Neega yen "naye"nu artham panikreenga..

Varttum varattum, vazhi mela enn mutta kanna vachittu kathukittu irruken.

Etho sanda podra moodla irukeenga polaruku, yen yethavathu problem-a. Don't worry, be happy. :D

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Sorry par the side track:

Anitam,

Onnum illai argue ellam panni romba naal aacha naane enna test pannikitten :D.

No Worries, No Happies.

Priyam2004
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Errr...not sure abt this news!! :Ksp:

Higher level exam papers (inc: GCSE papers) are marked and then checked not once or twice...but several times...depending on the Awarding Body and exam type.

Because GCSE papers are marked and then checked several times going to different places and examiners...it's very time consuming, etc...so to save all that...AQA recently introduced e-marking...which simply means...all this is done via the computer.

One word answers...I think that's the multiple choice papers...which have always been marked electronically in the UK anyhow.

As far as I'm aware...'e-marking' is the only change regarding the process of marking/checking papers, and that too takes places here in the UK.

sri_gan
04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
One word answers...I think that's the multiple choice papers...which have always been marked electronically in the UK anyhow.

May be the servers and softwares reside in India... athukka ivalo build up OMG.

Bluelotus
04-25-2005, 09:58 PM
okie this is the outside of enough...not only is stupid braclays pissing me off with their indian call centres but to take any national exam papers out od its country of origin is just disgusting...I'm thinkinf of outsourcing the whole cabinet and the PM :snooty: to Timbuktu

sri_gan
04-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Blue aatha,

unakku enn kovam india kku outsource pannunathule?

Bluelotus
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Sri annae,

not because it is india....but because it is being outsourced to a different country in the first place.
banking, health, national exam papers...these should remain within the EU boundaries at least
it simply scares me ...it doesn't inspire any confidence in me knowing that a certain ravi patel is sitting at the other end of the line and is bored out of his mind answering my little questions, abt my personal stuff.... :oops:
I would feel the saem if it was lee ying or vincent N'guyen or jayantha ranasinghe

I think sensitive information about individuals and their countries shouldn't be treated that way. Exam papers even if just mcq reflect on the population ...

I don't mean any disrespect to india....I would feel the same about any other country (okie EU countries to an extent are acceptable but it still pushing it :snooty: )

blue.

sri_gan
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
answering my little questions, abt my personal stuff....

ithellam globalizationala satharnamappa.... I don't think they will send out personal details and all...

Athupoga vellaikku aal illaina enna pannuvnaga paavam.

itha padichittu MSG onnu sonna

Kila poduren

Mama, Mama, nenga solluratha kekatti blue a ban pannirunga mama na... ennala sirippa adakka mudiyala enna sollurathunum theriyala. nee enna nenaikire blue aatha itha pathi?

Bluelotus
04-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Sri Annae,

I accept that globalisation is inevitable, just like my little bank is now a huge global player and hence wishes to cut excess cost and prefers to invest in low cost call centres than the expensive ones in GB.
But please tell me how "ravi patel" can answer my questions without transfer of information?
I suppose for ppl like me local branches are the best options and I should forget telephone and internet banking.
what next annae? tell me would you feel comfortable knowing that your NHS health record is stored on some server in mumbai (just an example....hmm for you how abt Czech republique as opposed to India ), and that if you were to call the national helpline "Anand Patel" would be the RN answering your questions, etc. ?

vellaiku aaal irukke ...anaa it's more expensive ... the rate of unemployment in europe is soaring each day...just there is no will to train those ppl, when they coudl do it for cheaper in Europe
It's like maunfacturing has been moved to China ...India get's the call centres...
did you know that soem uropeans are working in Indian call centres these days (just random info I heard on the radio one day)

Exam papers....GCSE MCQs may seem trivial....
but it always start like that and end up being A-level papers in the end...

perhaps I am just happier keeping my head in the sand.
I'm not against globalisation...just this part of it seems to scary for me...
this is the age of use and misuse of information...how can I not be afraid?
melodramatic I know :oops:

blue.

PS:

Mama, Mama, nenga solluratha kekatti blue a ban pannirunga mama na... ennala sirippa adakka mudiyala enna sollurathunum theriyala. nee enna nenaikire blue aatha itha pathi?

yo Bobby go cook dinner :evil:

bobby why do you call sri : mama :00:
avar ungalukku uncle-aaa? :think:

Bluelotus
04-26-2005, 02:06 AM
oh yes I forgot to add cultural differences..... it creeps me up every time he called me madam :oops:

sri_gan
04-26-2005, 02:11 AM
But please tell me how "ravi patel" can answer my questions without transfer of information?

1. Answering Question about a Wireless Card doesn't need to know your information.

2. No one answers about your medical record, In medical transcription itself patient's name is left empty, I administrated a medical transcription unit when I was back home.

So its not that scary as you think, No goverment will allow do such activity.

I personally think in this case they might have outsourced some softwares or some testing units and not teachers itself, complete detail is not available in the first post.

bobby why do you call sri : mama Shocked
avar ungalukku uncle-aaa?

Mama naa uncle mattum than artham illai, chellama kuda appadi kuupidalam ;)

Rombha kastam!!!

sri_gan
04-26-2005, 02:16 AM
oh yes I forgot to add cultural differences..... it creeps me up every time he called me madam :oops:

who calls you madam? yaaru yaaru athu yaaru.....

kovam varutha?

Bluelotus
06-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Indian call centre 'fraud' probe

Police are investigating reports an Indian call centre worker sold the bank account details of 1,000 UK customers to an undercover reporter.

The Sun claims one of its journalists bought personal details including passwords, addresses and passport data from a Delhi IT worker for £4.25 each.

City of London Police is investigating after receiving files from the paper.

India's top software body said India was a "trustworthy" location and would treat the claims "extremely seriously".

The National Association of Software and Service Companies said it would work with authorities in the UK and India to ensure criminals were "promptly prosecuted and face the maximum penalty".

While the allegations made in the dossier are very serious, City of London Police would like to remind people that incidents of this kind are still relatively rare
City of London Police

"The problem is not unique to any single nation - it is one that affects us all - and each of us has a responsibility to take on the criminals," its statement added.

Meanwhile, India's information technology and communications minister said the government had nothing to do with the "freak" incident, and would step in only if legally required.

The centre worker reportedly told the Sun he could sell up to 200,000 account details each month.

Details handed to the reporter had been examined by a security expert who had indicated they were genuine, the paper said.

The information passed on could have been used to raid the accounts of victims or to clone credit cards.

'Reflect on decision'

More than one bank is thought to be involved in the fraud, though a police spokeswoman said officers were not yet aware of "the breadth of what we are going to be investigating".

"While the allegations made in the dossier are very serious, City of London Police would like to remind people that incidents of this kind are still relatively rare," she said.

Lloyds TSB, Barclays and the Woolwich banks said customer security was a top priority and they would be treating the Sun's allegations seriously.

HSBC said it was investigating the claims but that it was too early to say whether any of its details had been involved.

An Abbey spokesman said: "There is no evidence from the Sun story today that Abbey's customer data was involved.

Other banks including Halifax, the Royal Bank of Scotland, Nationwide and NatWest, said they did not have call centres in India, so were unlikely to be affected.

Meanwhile, the Amicus union said it had warned of the "data protection implications" of offshoring financial services.

"Companies that have offshore jobs need to reflect on their decision and the assumption that cost savings benefiting them and their shareholders outweigh consumer confidentiality and confidence," senior finance officer Dave Fleming said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4121934.stm

Published: 2005/06/23 11:40:06 GMT

© BBC MMV

yeah I know it could have happened anywhere :think:

vaalu2005
06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Ahaaaaaa konjaa naaal oorula ilaanaa ivalvu vishyam nadakuthaaa....
ada naan indha outsorucing mattera ketten paaa....

but makkale since u all so goot at this ennaku oree oru sandheegam...itha google layee therthukalaam analum adhula sariya definite answer kidaikalaa so please if u can clarify this...

say if US is giving a project to be done in india. Its called outsorucing....how do i frame it..

the project outsoruced to india
or
the project outsourced from india.

lot of us use the first one....but i feel u always source some work from outside its called outsourcing so i feel second one is right...

honeslty i never got the right answer yet...please do let me know ...

Thanx
Vaalu

vasan
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
say if US is giving a project to be done in india. Its called outsorucing....how do i frame it..

the project outsoruced to india
or
the project outsourced from india.

lot of us use the first one....but i feel u always source some work from outside its called outsourcing so i feel second one is right...

Romba interesting kelvi thaan.. :P :P

The 'noun' outsourcing refers to "the practice of subcontracting manufacturing work to outside and especially foreign or nonunion companies"..

So, if you have a contract job, and if you let it go TO some other country (not get FROM but go TO), then its outsourcing..

So India gets lot of the outsourced jobs from USA.
US outsources many jobs to the brilliant, talentd, hardworking, and gorgeous people of India.. :P :P

Okvaa? :wink:

Ippadi explanation ellaam kudukkanummnaa fee is 1 glass watermelon juice kudukkanamm.. :ee: :P

linguistical, v- :wink:

sri_gan
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Vaalu,

nee eppadi venna prame pannu, but thudu mattum namma nattukku varamari panniko :sm12:

vaalu2005
06-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanx for ur explanation Vasan....
naane nayar kadayilaa single tea adhum kadan solli adichuttu escape aguravan...enkitaa juice kekuthoo?
adhellam nammakailaa nadakathu naina......

Srigan...namma naada? nee endhaa oooru naan endha ooru mugavaree thevaa ilaa....

itechlegend
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
uk papers nama correct panrarthu na.. athula enna thappu iruku..
do u think indians are less to those standards.. we indians dont have tat caliber and
stuff to do those things..

especially shy and pinki.. i cant find time to read all others replies..
but enna porutha varikum... enku ithu onnum thappa therila..
nama kita talent illamaya .. stuff illamaya avan namma kita koduthu correct panna solran.?

avanukaga nama work panrom. less salary more work athellam different issue..

may be nan sonna ithey visayatha ithula yaravathu solli irukalam.. but ithu enaku
thonuchu athan post panninen..

dinesh
06-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Funny thing was this guy chareged £4.25 for each detail, wondering what he was planning to do with the 25p :sm12:

vaalu2005
06-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Well i guess he was a Manager and Negotiated with another manager ....thats the result of negotitation i BET....

p.s : if u need any information about any bank account please contact me....fixed price no negotitaions plssss........ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhh Anniyaan.com la ithu potudatheengaiyaaa

Vaalu

Bluelotus
06-24-2005, 09:11 PM
uk papers nama correct panrarthu na.. athula enna thappu iruku..
do u think indians are less to those standards.. we indians dont have tat caliber and
stuff to do those things..

no national exams of any kind, nor university exam papers should be marked away from their country of origin, unless it is PLAB or USMLE, which can be taken in different centres world wide.

and that is not a reflection on the calibre of education in India!!!

so before you get on your high horses and start bashing everyone who is against this "practice" get the opposing statement correctly dude!

I would oppose even France marking British papers, and let's face it France and Britain are both part of the EU and next to each other.

how would you feel if you found out that your university exam papers or your General certificate of school education was marked in Pakistan?

anyways.... no offence Itechlegend .

on a funny note this time instead of getting a Ravi Patel I got a Pete Anderson with an Indian accent :ee:

Dinesh,
every penny counts :wink:

blue.

valluvan
07-30-2005, 05:04 PM
hahaha...

http://www.geocities.com/ha2he2hi/Geetham/fun/OS.jpg

che
07-30-2005, 05:08 PM
good one valluvan.