PDA

View Full Version : What holds most charm: TR-Lyrics or TR-Music?

vasan
05-11-2005, 07:21 PM
What holds most charm: TR-Lyrics or TR-Music?

Was listening to some old songs of T Rajendar. Oru thalai raagam and Rail-payanangalil.. and was once again recollected what a beautiful music & melody he has created.

He is not a musician like Raja or Rahman. He is not a lyricist like PaVijay or a Poet like Vairamuththu. But still some of the finest songs that have haunted the tamil film music in 80s and 90s have come from T Rajendar.

So, do you like his old music? What do you think is the one thing that hooks you to his old music? Lyrics or Music?

Lets hear it folks... :P :P

Vasan

ps: Though the debate is mainly about his old movie songs, there is NO limits to including other interesting aspects of his multifaceted and multitalented personality. You can't ever separate him from his work.. So, feel free.. :wink:

ps2: Even if I said NO, people are gonna add them anyways.. So, lemme up the ante as they say.. :P :P

ps3: Some of his early movies include: Oruthalai ragam, Rail-payanangalil, Mythili ennai kaathali, uyirullavarai usha... Others may please add to this list.. :wink:

ps4: Who knows.. if there are lots of people who enjoy his songs.. you might even get them.. :ee: :ee:

ns80
05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
v-,
is this restricted only to T.Rajendar or old songs in general. if I listen to some old songs, I can hardly differentiate who the MD was for a specific movie :Ksp:

Priyam2004
05-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Lyrics...for sure...they're really meaningful...practical & relevant to the situation!!! :P

The wordings he uses are so easy to understand ie: he uses 'everyday' words rather than poetic words :D

Cheers Vasan :b:

vasan
05-11-2005, 07:37 PM
v-,
is this restricted only to T.Rajendar or old songs in general. if I listen to some old songs, I can hardly differentiate who the MD was for a specific movie

nana,

lets keep it for his movies for the moment.. :wink: He is the MD for all his movies... :D

v- :wink:

vasan
05-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Lyrics...for sure...they're really meaningful...practical & relevant to the situation!!!

Your Royal Highness,

rr... I am sure they are.. but are we supposed to take your word for it, or are you gonna substantiate it with some good examples.. :ee:

sollungoo queenie.. proof kudungoo.. prooof.. :D (proof-oda konjam pudding- kudutheenganna, sappittutu athukku proof kudukkalam.. :P :P)..

v- :wink:

rsivaraman
05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Haven't heard them much, so cannot comment on which is better. but one song I still remember which i found amusing was
"thatti patthen kottankucchi
thalllam vandhadhu pattiu katti
thooki valaartha anbu thangachi
thooki errija kannu kollam acchu"

:Ksp: :Ksp:

-Siva

goodcomplanboy
05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
well I should say his music. He is such a nice Music Director. But has given only very very few of his best. I like some of this songs very much:

1 - எனது கானம் உன் காதில் விழவில்லைய ா...
2 - தோல் மீது தாலாட்ட என் தங்கமே நீ தூங்கு...
3 - வசந்த காலங்கள் இசைந்து பாடுங்கள்...

hes given hits in every movie of his...

I dont deny his powerful lyrics either, but the lyrics gets exposed only if the tune attracts people. So I will go with the tune first and then the lyrics :b:

PS: Enna -v proof pothuma :wink:, ille song link podanuma :ahha:

tinker
05-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Haven't heard them much, so cannot comment on which is better. but one song I still remember which i found amusing was
"thatti patthen kottankucchi
thalllam vandhadhu pattiu katti
thooki valaartha anbu thangachi
thooki errija kannu kollam acchu"

:Ksp: :Ksp:

-Siva

You missed the next lines

Thenaga nenachu dhaan unna valarthen
Neyum thelaga kotti vidu naanum thudichen ...

I think his lyrics were good in some songs although they were pretty different from what we are used to listen normally. I love the song salangai ittal oru madhu more for Spb's voice than anything else..

PS: If you guys are interested I can share all/most of his songs or even play them for a while for ppl to listen and comment :)

anainar
05-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Any thing he does without showing his face is welcome. :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Apart from few initial hits he has failed miserably to attract the audience. But during his days he did produce gem of music/lyrics.

சலங்கை இட்டாள் ஒரு மாது, சங்கீதம் நீ பாடு,
அவள் விழிகள் ஒரு பழரசம், அதைக்காண்க ையில் நெஞ்சில் பரவசம்...

இடையின் பின்னழகில் இரண்டு குடத்தை கொண்ட
புதிய தம்புராவை மீட்டிச்செ ன்றாள் -
கலை நிலா மேனியிலே சுளைப்பலா சுவையைக்கண ்டேன்
Can any one describe one of the most spoken about part of a women so poetically? I might have listened to the song when I was so young, but I still remember the lyrics. That I would say success of the lyricist. Else, I will by just humming the tune with fillers like "Hmmmm" and not the lyrics.

Of all the things he did, I like him only for his lyrics and songs. May be for lyrics a bit more.

Cheers

goodcomplanboy
05-11-2005, 08:21 PM
salangai ittal oru madhu more for Spb's voice than anything else..
my favorite too. Just was humming that song and there you go, you posted about that song.

ஒரு பொன்மானை நான் காண் தகதிமித்தோ ம் :sm05:

another neatly done song is -

இது குழந்தை பாடும் தாலாட்டு
இது இரவு நேர பூபாலம்
இது மேற்கில் தோன்றும் உதயம்...

goodcomplanboy
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
இடையின் பின்னழகில் இரண்டு குடத்தை கொண்ட
புதிய தம்புராவை மீட்டிச்செ ன்றாள் -
கலை நிலா மேனியிலே சுளைப்பலா சுவையைக்கண ்டேன்
Can any one describe one of the most spoken about part of a women so poetically? I might have listened to the song when I was so young, but I still remember the lyrics. That I would say success of the lyricist. Else, I will by just humming the tune with fillers like "Hmmmm" and not the lyrics.

indeed. Point to think about, especially the last line of yours anainar. But still for that song to reach you, should have been the tune to catch you first and probably later on for the lyrics... what say???

நானொரு ராசியில்லா ராஜா...

நூலும்மில் லை வாலும்மில் லை வானில் பட்டம் விடுவேனோ...

வசந்தம் பாடி வர வைகை ஒடிவர...

vasan
05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
கூடையில கருவாடு, கூந்தலில பூக்காடு..
என்னாடி பொருத்தம் ஆயா..

:wink: :wink:

There is something about his tunes... be it 'classically' oriented (set to some bharatanatyam dance, usually) or, his sogam songs.. (evoking pathos unbound..!), or his 'nattu pura paadalgal' like the one quoted above...

Each part is equally cool.. I think his songs lived by the music.. at some point in tamil film music, it found a special part that no one had before...

You guys are missing it, because of the beauty of lyrics.. but the selling point, the reason you remember is mainly his music..

:wink:

v-

goodcomplanboy
05-11-2005, 08:58 PM
You guys are missing it, because of the beauty of lyrics.. but the selling point, the reason you remember is mainly his music..

yup :yes: Agreed totally Vasan. We are on the same page with this.

I kind of feel the lyrics will reach people only if the song tune is good.

anainar
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
I kind of feel the lyrics will reach people only if the song tune is good.

I beg to differ here guys!! For e.g this is not a TR song. Kinda side track but cant help it on seeing this gloating. :sm12: :sm12:

உன்னோடு நான் இருந்த ஒவ்வொரு மணித்துளிய ும்
மரணப்படுக் கையிலும மறக்காது கண்மணியே!!. There is no tune, not much of music, but it appeals to every sense, with the camer whirling around showing the forbidden emotions between two souls. You can't say it is the tune that made these lines memorable.

The song சுட்டும் விழிச்சுடர ் தான் கண்ணம்மா can be sung in three different ragas. But it maintains the same passion and love. So, it is not tune that maky lyrics memorable.

TR has composed hunderds of songs. You dont remember the the song "அட்ங்கொப்ப ன் மவனே, ங்கொப்பன் மவனே, டண்டணக்கா" right? Bad lyrics make you forget the song totally. While a good lyricist can make the song be remembered.

Cheers

dinesh
05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
oru thalai ragam songa were amazing......both the lyrics and tunes were better even than IR's songs in my opinion......I never seen a poem like kuzhanthai paadum thaalattu anywhere...a song built upon contradictions...and when he says the last line suddenly everything makes sense... :)

ns80
05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
[url=http://tfmpage.com/forum/27681.19.53.32.html]Here is a
thread I found discussing about TR and his music related works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some of the good old TR movies i could remember(am not going to list any
new movies, most of them are useless music composed for Simbu :p:):

மைதிலி என்னை காதலி
சம்சார சங்கீதம்
ஒரு தாயின் சபதம்
ஒரு தலை ராகம்
ரயில் பயனங்களில்
உயிருள்ளவர ை உஷா

off the above movies,

ஒரு பொன்மானை from மைதிலி என்னை காதலி

வாசமில்லா மலரிது - ஒரு தலை ராகம்
இது குழந்தை பாடும் - ஒரு தலை ராகம்
நானொரு ராசியில்லா - ஒரு தலை ராகம்
நூலுமில்லை - ரயில் பயனங்களில்
அமைதிக்கு பெயர்தான் - ரயில் பயனங்களில்
வைகைக்கரை காற்றே நில்லு உயிருள்ளவர ை உஷா
சம்சார சங்கீதம் - சம்சார சங்கீதம்
பொன்னான மனசே - மைதிலி என்னை காதலி

if you note all the above songs were pathos songs sung by the pro's of Tamil film music playback singing (TMS, SPB and Yesudas). In my opinion lyrics was very important in all the above songs, ofcourse played a good part heightening the mood too, for that matter any sad song the lyrics has more priority over the music, tune rather plays a side role. you hardly get good preludes or interludes in sad songs.

Oru Ponmaanai remains an exception to the predominantly pathos song list. it is one of the lively songs of TR. the jadhis and Amala's dance for that song are a treat to the eyes. That's the only song we get to hear some good tunes.

Do I need to mention that these songs were very well sung. I guess it is understood :D.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I remember right, there was a similar Bharathanatyam kind of song in Oru Thayin Sabatham, that was a bit serious song though. In the video TR sings and his sister character dances for it, to revive their mother's memory. That song was sung by SPB. Anyone remembers :think:

suha
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
who is that TR :think:

anainar
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Interesting perspective NS on the pathos songs. That is true that one does not get interludes/fillers in sad songs that accentuate the tune. Like the song கூடையில கருவாடு which has quiet a lot of fillers in between.

I am reminded of another song sung by Yesudas. "ஏழிசை கீதமே, எனக்கொரு ஜீவன் நீயே". A pathos song, with least amount of music but so compelling when listening. So, lyrics play a major role in conveying emotions. Tune or music is only a supporting role.

Many songs of TR are not remembered at all except for the few ones listed here. The difference is the lyrics.

Cheers

ns80
05-12-2005, 02:49 PM
who is that TR

check out this Cute Teddies (http://www.geetham.net/forums/htopic,15443,teddies.html) thread. the last cutie is TR/T.Rajendar/Karadi however you might want to call him :ee:.

Many songs of TR are not remembered at all except for the few ones listed here.

Most of the 80s songs get categorised under the Ilayaraja. So unless TR himself sings a songs, its hard to recognize it is from TR.

There are a few Ilayaraja and Rahman songs that had some good tunes in sad songs. But none I could find in TR.

Do you people remember that phone song in Monisha En Monalisa. SPB sung that song, it was a dialogue-paatu "Kanmani Anbodu" type song. That one had some good lyrics, it had a good guitar prelude if I remember it right :think:

goodcomplanboy
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Do you people remember that phone song in Monisha En Monalisa. SPB sung that song, it was a dialogue-paatu "Kanmani Anbodu" type song. That one had some good lyrics, it had a good guitar prelude if I remember it right

ofcourse yes dude. How can we forget that song

Hello, hello hello..
பேரை நான் சொல்லவா
ரசிகன் நான் அல்லவா
காதிலே பேசவா
காதலன் ஆகவா
I love you... Monishaa............. I love you .........

:sm05: :sm05:

SPB rocks in this song..... Please please please, dont see this song picturisation if you wanna enjoy this song :pray:

goodcomplanboy
05-12-2005, 02:58 PM
for the benefit of suha and others who wonder who this TR is :ahha:

He is a Cute Cuddly :lol: Teddy Bear

http://img183.exs.cx/img183/7572/teddybear050ju.jpg

raghu
05-12-2005, 03:54 PM
he has defenitley given memorable songs....i feel he has done justice to both lyrics and music....he has also done some good direction which was effective then anna ippop partha siripu varum.he was an allrounder in the film industry............

ns80
05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello, hello hello..
பேரை நான் சொல்லவா
ரசிகன் நான் அல்லவா
காதிலே பேசவா
காதலன் ஆகவா

adhe dhaan, SPB pattaya kelappiruppar andha paatula :D. the other songs were pretty bad :p:. one of them was copied from Ricky Martin where Chimpanzee dances in space :ahha:.

Please please please, dont see this song picturisation if you wanna enjoy this song

Ponmaanai Naan Paada paata thavirthu endha paatulayum TR picturisation sahikkaadhu. Amala supera aadiruppa andha paatula :sm05:.

Actually if you check out that TFMpage link I gave 2 posts before. Kilinjalgal was listed. Was it TR at all, I don't remember seeing his face in that movie. It was a Mohan, Poornima in that movie. TR usually shows his cute (:lol:) face atleast once in his movie.

goodcomplanboy
05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
adhe dhaan, SPB pattaya kelappiruppar andha paatula

yup :yes: The very moment you listen to his voice, you can realise its a romantic song. You dont even need to know the language. Appadiye konji konji paaduvaaru :sm05:

raghu
05-12-2005, 08:03 PM
only after reading the posts i heard Hello Hello song..As GCB said SPB voice konjaradhu.....