PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with chocolate?

Bluelotus
05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
What is wrong with chocolate?

One of the first thing Asians notice about a new born is it's complexion.
Never mind whether it is alive and kicking :ahha: Is the baby fair or not?

For a civilisation which praises itself at the drop of a hat, it has has always managed to insence me on this point.
One wonders, why it seems impossible to these caucassians to accept the beauty of dark complexions?

A while ago, a few pictures of Naviya Nair were posted in Geetham. Some of them showed her as slightly darker than she usually appears on photographs. This caused a whole commotion among the members, who cried out against the original author of the thread.
I couldn't understand why the same woman appeared to these members prettier with a little more lighting than without?

This is just a tiny one of the many incidents that darker skinned people have to put up with.
My own beloved clan (although every member is drop down gorgeous :ahha: ) exhibits every possible complexion colour found in South East Asia. To be honest the fairest among us do not even come close to the dark skinned prettiness of my young cousin. Yet this fact which is obvious to myself and others outside the clan, seems to escape all family members including the mother of the pretty cousin :Ksp: *pathetic*

To cut a long rambling short. Dark skinned Asians are prejudiced against by their very own.
Baffling isn't it?
This constant desire to look like the "oh so depised" white caucassians.

The media is obviously the worst offender. Instead of embracing dark complexion it denigrates it, and treats those chocolate coloured members of society as little less than pariahs.
I am not a huge fan of Tamil films, simply because they always seem to revolve around one rather tedious theme and mainly the length of a film is just too much for me to take (never mind the language :ee: ). I must admit that I was so happy to see dark skinned heroines in Kollywood: Shalini, Meera Jasmine, Sandhya, the actress from Alaghi, to name but a few (few because I don't know many :ee: ). So please can I have more natural dark skinned people acting in Tamil films?
I am sick of seeing pakistanis and wannabe pakistanis on the screen :p: under the guise of Tamilians.

I'm aslo sick of opening every Asian Magazine and seeing fair skinned people, even if they are fair skinned because of too much lighting :ahha:
I mean come on give me a break will you!!! Are you telling me that only fair skinned Asian women get maried? is that why Asian Bride is full of them? :00: :evil:

I find dark skinned people very pretty/handsome. I mean compare Reema Sen with Halle Berry, and Reema doesn't stand a chance at all. Iman Bowie with Lara Duttha, well I'd rather follow Iman any day :ahha:
They have oodles of class, and do not try to make themselves look like wannabe-white-caucassians :evil:
(Yeah, I do realise that I haven't used the best possible examples, can't do much about it :ee: blame it on the media :wink: )

The whole thing is so embarrassing to our culture. Are we nothing more than a bunch of skin lightners? :cry:

And be honest ...I know that at least 75% of Geethamites are totally biased against dark skinned Asians. And before you beat me on the head with your beloved war cry "give me the stats!!!" :ee: noooo I have not carried out a research.
It's simply based on all the wonderful replies I have read throught my time at Geetham :ahha:

Wanting to end on a funny note...
One of my cousin is extremely fair, painfully so ( no he is not an albino :sm12: . My aunt had to take his sister to a hospital appointment when they were children. Now he is quite a mischivious boy, and wouldn't sit still. anyway while my aunt dragged my machal into the doctors room, this one ran off into the maze that a hospital is. In the end, she found him talking earnestly with a nurse of Moroccan origin. When my aunt went to thank the nurse for looking after him, the nurse wouldn't believe that my aunt (whom I must add is also fair) was the mother :Ksp: The nurse had thought that my cousin was an Arab :ahha: (My aunt was rather pissed off about it :lol: just wanted to add ...the whole clan is purely made up of SL Tamils-no other origins)
anyway ...I thought it was hilarious.... :oops: But it does in some way highlight the fact that we could be losing our identy with every tub of fair & lovely the media advertises.

So tell me please:

what is wrong wih chocolate?

biased as ever,
blue.

ps: if you're offended...then please write a huge essay about why and post it here :wink:

silican
05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Blue Bluey :),

In tamil there is a saying "காந்தலே ருசி கறுப்பே அழகு" Some "dark-chocolate" should have wrote this unable to like the likes of "White chocolates" :ahha: With Tamil cinema, the mentality of the common public is that whatever the hero does on screen is super human.Be it a car race or a street fight or being seduced by a bar dancer. Whatever their hero does on screen, Kuppan Suppan and Munian (Equi of Tom,**** and Harry :ee: ) enjoys. They imagine themselves to be in their Hero's Orange-green-Boots and elevates their dreams to the silver screens.

In old movies TA.Mathuram or Kannambaa were not that wheatish. Those films were less of masala and no one really bothered abt skin color. Moreover movies were in Black&White and so the tonal variations were minimal.

With the advent of Eastman color, everything looked gorgeous. the lakes, oceans, Jewellery, sculptures had their own beauty on screen. If you see such movies with MGR or Sivaji as hero, those epic movies will have someone painted with furnace oil or tar playing the slave or barbarian role. Simply to show a difference between Good and Bad exploiting the Eastman color or 'Keva' films.

Still with cinemascope and 70 mm, Radha, a choco lass was very successful. She was a real heartthrob and people were flocking to the cinema halls to see her take bath in a swim suit in "Alaigal Oivadhillai".

Sri Priya, wasnt fair but she is the heroine to have acted the maximum number of films opposite Kamalhassan, who is really really fair. Same goes for Nandhitha Das, and Roja.(though Roja chose to use more make-up and come on screen like Roja)

Our another Chocolate ancestor went a level further to say "கறுப்புக்க ு நகை போட்டு கண்ணாற பாரு. செவப்புக்க ு ககை போட்டு செருப்பால அடி" :sm12: My granny used to say this when I was a kid to tease me. I was really fair then. But cricket in Indian summer made me a Fudge. :)

- Silix

dinesh
05-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I find myself nodding to your "fair" points.

I have no problems with women of any colour. :ahha:

silican
05-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I have no problems with women of any colour. Ahha

Dude,
Did u want to say, "I have no problems with colour of any women" ? :think:

- Silix ;)

dinesh
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Did u want to say, "I have no problems with colour of any women" ?
Is there a difference? Which one is likely to offend the most...I'll go for that :ahha:

Manju_11
05-24-2005, 04:20 PM
thnx a lot 4 this "topic" bluelotus and silican.
nan kooda romba naala ithu patti pesanum nu iunthen, yes thats true neenga 2perum sollurathu as u mentioned here blue, oru baby piranta udane fair a iruka nu than paakuranga.

i've seen many add and heard many real life story as well. enta oru ponnukum avaloda talent or avaloda qualifications eduka maatanga 1st of all fairness than mukkiyam. whether its marriage or job or whatever its. ennai rombavum think panna vaichathu there's an add which goes like this: airhost ku she wants to apply, and inta applicaton edukira lady solluranga inta face vaichuta airhost aaga pora nu. ithu evlo orutharoda manasa hurt pannum nu neenaikala avaga, that was an add for fair & lovely. i mean so airhost aaganum na aacording to them english and some more languages fluently a tehriyanum nu illai, talent ethuvum thevai illai. fair a irukiravanag yaarum appaly pannalam. how sick and silly this is. western countriesla ellam ipapdi illai, see beyonce, toni braxton, naomi cambpell. just to mention a few ivanaga ellam avanga dark beauty moolama lifela suceed aanavanga.
sorry geethamities if i said anything wrong...

unfourtunatlly this is the fact....

sri_gan
05-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Blue thangam,

I've never been bothered about the skin color... to be even more criper lot of people back home will also so something like this.

karuppa irrunthalum kaLaiya irrukan (for men) and karuppa irrunthalum kaLaiya irruka (for women) ... its nothing but the they have a clear face appearance *its a 100% fact*

Face le nalla thelivu dark color irrukavangalukku than irruka mudiyum, enna fair color le antha possibility romba rare.

Namma oorula intha fairness creams ad naala ippadiyum oru crazy irrukku, additionally opposite poles attract mari opposite colors attract Vella karanga ethukku tan pannikuranga?
*athula avangalukku oru santhosam*

Blue thangam, There is nothing wrong with the chocolate, some people are crazy avalothan.

silican
05-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong Manju. I have seen that advt too. Not only its hurting but also misleading :doh: Ella ponnum Maligai saaman list'la fair N lovely add panni monthly expense jaasthi aakiduvanga.

When my cousin was born, my great granny was telling, "kozhandhai maampazha color'la irukku". after 6-7 years when he took up swimming classes in Summer he became totally dark and I was telling her, "ippo paarunga, maanga vadu manga'va" maariduchchu. :sm12:

- Silix

ashokcsn_2000
05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Color really doesnt matter... kalai... azhagu thaan mukkiyam... that comes not by nature but by maitaining urself... By that I mean developing proper habits... eating properly... and most of all proper excercising keeps u in good shape... I should say beautity is more to shape than to color...

Arnt there beautiful dusky models... there are more of them than the fairer ones... being totally white and fair leads to lack of features and makes u look dull... infact makes u feel that the woman is a ghost /a astatue without that life in her...

Bluelotus
05-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Sili,
what does this mean: "காந்தலே ருசி கறுப்பே அழகு"
so if as you say dusky heroines can be as sucessful as the fairer ones, why aren't we seeing more of them on our screen these days?
why is my asian mag so full of fair people? is it perhaps a truer representation of the various complexions of Asia? are there more fairer skined people than dusky ones?

"ippo paarunga, maanga vadu manga'va" maariduchchu this happened to me too :sm12:
I find it quite funny when long lost relatives come up to me and commiserate on my more tanned skin :ahha:

I have no problems with women of any colour.
do you mean that you have no problem as long as they have their own wallet :ahha: ?

Manju_11,
it's terrible isn't it?
discrimination not based on race, or religion or age or sex...but on how tanned you are :doh: sad sad sad world!

Sri Anne,

what does this mean: kaLaiya ?

I know white caucassians are just as mad as Asians. I mean they actually volunteerily increase the risk of skin cancer by using tanning machine :doh:

I do sort of realise that people on an individual basis don't really care so much about skin colour, but having said that society as a whole seems to take it quite seriously.
This is so bad that even those dusky people you talk of want to appear fairer :?

Ashok,
see the thing is Asians equate beauty with colour, and hence fair becomes a synomym to pretty...

blue.

PS:
well actually I think that everyone is beautiful in their own unique way :wink:
and...
I like chocolate in any colour as long as it tastes like chocolate :ee:

vasan
05-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Whatttt??? :? :? :?

Here I was thinking about how it makes one obese, and how teeth decay and a whole bunch of irrefutable logic, to dissss chocolate, and win some converts to coffeee..

what a let down.. :snooty: :snooty: :Ksp: :Ksp:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Concept of beauty has plenty of anthropological reasons behind it. Less logic, and more bias. What ought to be done is to teach children their self worth and 'enlighten' them to go beyond the skin-deep mindset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, why is being under six feet short and mean? Being 160 fat and ugly? Having thick black hair as opposed to gray or receding hairline not so sexy? Or a million other similar bias? Color is not the only discrimination you know... :ahha:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who cares :ahha:

There is a mag called Asian Bride? :00: :Ksp: Even in this information (overload) era, there is plenty that v- doesn't know.. :Ksp:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not really sure about this

One wonders, why it seems impossible to these caucassians to accept the beauty of dark complexions?

I think the bias is more prevalent among south asians. Lot of Latino/african-american/ girls are considered pretty. Infact, if you are 'too white' & pale, they will tell you to get a tan.. :Ksp: Also, extreme paleness indicates sort of non-active lifestyle (stuck in the cube for good.. ), as opposed a healthy skin that comes from plenty of outdoor activity.. :D

Old school bias against skin color is kinda going away. The more general bias on ethnicity is more rooted.. :think:

whatever.. v-

ps: Couldn't we just talk about the actual chocolate? Though its not as good as coffee, at least its not as bad the vile green tea... (I mean, think what a color complex they have.. :evil: :evil: Indian tea is black tea, and chinese tea is green tea.. :evil: :evil: We should have a tea party (like Boston one.. :wink:) and chuck all the green tea into English Channel.. :evil: )...

ps2: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

ps3: If you lack humor, go drink some orange juice.. :ahha:

sri_gan
05-25-2005, 01:25 AM
what does this mean: kaLaiya ?

KaLaiya means with a perfection in the appearance... Think about actress trisha and nandita das... Nandita will be appealing more than trisha when you look.

தமிழ்ல சொல்லனும் நா.. கருப்பா இருந்தாலும ் களையா இருக்கே என்று சொல்லுவார் கள்.

Athe mari blues, societye appadinu solla mudiyathu.. its due to adv. people see and believe...

Onnum illa, oru chinna visheyam... marriage kku engaiyachum poonigana kuda pakalam road roller mari irrunthukittu nagai ellam fulla pottukittu urundu varuvanga... athu mari than ithuvum... koncha peru than appadi.

Enakku therinchu very few bother about the skin color.

vasan
05-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Nandita will be appealing more than trisha when you look.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Trisha is pretty - and not because she is fair.. :ahha:

Nandita is more beautiful than Simran in Kannathathil muththamittal, even though she is of darker complexion, because she radiates a wholesomeness... :b: :b:

த்ரிஷா முகத்தில மச்சம் இல்ல, ஆனா கலகலப்பா, கூடை கூடையா களைகொட்டி கிடக்கு.. :wink: :P

trish.. :sm05:

Rest of the things I agree with you Mr. SG.. :b:

v-

suha
05-25-2005, 02:48 AM
candyyy :oops:

enna emathittaa :cry:

unna sue pana porein :p:

chcolate pathi pesurangah ulla vandhein :oops: ....pattha...black & beauty patthi discuss :Ksp:

mmm...balck is not a deal :wink:
beauty is deal :yes:

when i study primary 4 appo.......ennoda class la ellamei chiense ...and few paki..and meand..one girl is from tamilnadu..... :oops:

appo ava eppo paaru absent....so naan avnagha home call saidhu why school vardhu illa soli kepein avoloda mom kitta..appo avanga mom soonnaghha,.....ungha class la ellorum tease panraglaam...because she is dark skin...avaluku rombho assame irrukku ...why ipadi panrangha .neyum indian tahnei nee kekakudadha enna ketangha

appo i think ho ...appo dark skin na this ppls dont likeeee :think:

but naan suma vidalla apovei sue panittein :ee:

against chinese ppls ku thaan :wink: .... paki and me ellam orru group so ippo no one can dare to say..... black ppls soli... :sm10:

rsivaraman
05-25-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't feel that color is of any importance. its all about personality. and good features..
The eye always looks for something pleasing, nature is biased towards symmetry,so anything with a proper symmetry is always appreciated.
As many of them had said, there are so many chocolate colored women who are considered beautiful.

-Siva

itechlegend
05-25-2005, 07:18 AM
itho nanum vanthuten pa,....

from all the posts i saw everyone stand by the side for not bothering the color..

but i do bother

ellarum celebrities matum than compare panni irukeenga..
black or fair.. since they look they became celebrity..

see for example hale berry example by blue,
nandita example and lot more..
it looks very absurd, ridiculous when u compare trisha with nandita..
trisha karuppa irunthalum nalla irupa...
nandita fair'ah irunthalum nalla irupa...
yenna ivanga 2 per kitayum ninga complextion pakala,
azhagu and face than pakureenga...
aprum simran with nanditha.. tat also sounds ridiculous..
yen simran'ah yaarum kovilpati veeralakshmi padathula pakaliya

first intha celebrities compare panrartha niruthunga..
ivangalai ellam makeup pottu epdi venumnalum kaata mudiyum...

as bhaiya told abt kalai concept..
since these women were pretty good to majority of audience's eyes they come under
beauty list never minding abt their complextion...

but day to day life'la edutukittengana .. it was not the case wat we are discussing...
we ppl are get used to see these kinda things in our life...
namaku rahukalam, emakandam pakra mathiri ponnuku color pakarthu oru sambrathayam mathiri ayiduchu.. ithuku yaara kurai solla mudiyum..

oru normal maaniram boy or even tan color complexion guy when looking for bride, quotes a word "good looking, fair, any degree with good family background".

sari ok arvindsamy mathiri oru payana poitu oru black and poor face girl ku
(for example tat koundamani senthil joke .. where they went to see vadivelu's sister and tat girl puts the maalai in senthils shoulder and senthil laughs and tell to koundamani ... intha moonjuke ungala pudikalana...)intha ponuku arvindsamy mathiri payana kalyanam panni vacha nalla irukuma ? illa avanthan kalyanam panni paana.. ivala kalyanam panrarthuku enku kalyanamey vendam nu thana solvan..
but athey payan romba azhaga illanalum konjam fair'ah iruka vera oru ponna iruntha udaney ok sollatiyum konjam yosipan illa...

so complextion does matters when it comes to beauty and face structure...

ithuku melayum neraya points iruku.. but ipdi type pannitey ponen na
aprum padikarthuku bore adikum so..
intha pointku support panniyo oppose panniyo ila unga sontha opinion post
pannunga nan athku reply panrem

jaggy4u
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Read something similar just now

[web:90afaec5db]http://women.indiatimes.com//articleshow/1120248.cms[/web:90afaec5db]

Legend I go with you man.. :b: you are practical and not bookish :wink:

ns80
05-25-2005, 01:17 PM
blue,
you actually talking about 2 different things:

A while ago, a few pictures of Naviya Nair were posted in Geetham. Some of them showed her as slightly darker than she usually appears on photographs. This caused a whole commotion among the
members

i.e the way people felt how celebrities look.

One of the first thing Asians notice about a new born is it's complexion. Never mind whether it is alive and kicking Ahha Is the baby fair or not?

i.e the way you look people in real-life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 2 situations though connected are very different.

When seeing the gallery of a celebrity(be it a male/female character) you dont get to see their real self behind them. it's only their face or their build which you get to see. So in this case the skin colour+களை does come into picture. But skin colouris'nt the only thing that matters, if anyone remembers JJ heroine(Amoga)
I dint even get the remote feeling that she looked good, except for that white complexion she had nothing else on contrast Nadhiya...aha aha drool all the way :sm05: :sm05: :ee:. But how many people here say
Saritha looked beautiful/ Vijayakanth, Senthil's son (http://www.geetham.net/forums/htopic,14789,senthil.html) looked beautiful.

The reason, thats way we are made to think about cine industry celebrities(again this is nothing to do with their character or what kind of person they are) the way our previous generations made us think in that line. We never feel like analyzing how beautiful Kiran Bedi, Vivian Richards, Yesudas, singer Jikki were, did we? Many of our peers too feel the same way (don't analyze in an arguement, just see how people react when they see them on movies) so naturally we do get a feeling that what we feel is right too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reality is much much different from the way we see matinee idols. Education and exposure are the best teachers, the induvidual perception on skin complexion differs based on that. Majority of my friends guys/gals all included are the so called chocolate coloured, I never felt that when I am talking to them. I did feel bad when one of my relative(the previous generation) commented about the complexion of one of my friend's after seeing their photograph. That's the thinking you were talking about when quoting the newborn incident.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I dont think non-Asians are anything different either, barring Halle Berry how many choclate coloured matinee idols do we get to see?

Something relevant to what we are talking about, one of my friend's nephew(a 5-year old) in Switzerland is being called darky by his peers, though you don't get that feeling when you see that kid's photograph. Why??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just tried to put forth my random thoughts about this topic, hope you did understand what I am trying to put forth.

Sorry If I have hurt your feelings :sm03: :sm03:

PS: Thanks for reading such a long torturous rambling :b:

itechlegend
05-25-2005, 01:27 PM
side track :::
ns un post kooda paravailla aana antha PS ku keela irukura antha moonjiya patha
romba kaduppa irku. athan konjam chinna size'ah poturukalam..
actually the thing which i read doesnt make me tortured but the pic below ur ps does..

ns80
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Sidetrack -->

ns un post kooda paravailla aana antha PS ku keela irukura antha moonjiya patha romba kaduppa irku.

hahaha....thats just to make fun of Deva. gimme sometime, will change the signature sometime today.

butterfly
05-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Something relevant to what we are talking about, one of my friend's nephew(a 5-year old) in Switzerland is being called darky by his peers, though you don't get that feeling when you see that kid's photograph. Why??

Ns,
The kids born & raised outside India suffer more to such comments...coz they are compared to the kids of that nationality...so it doesnt matter if they are fairskinned...its more bad if they live in towns where there are not much ppl frm India...last week my neice came home & asked her mom y this kid in her class calls her brownie & teased her saying ur skin is the color of ****...it was really hard to make her understand coz she is only 4....it made me realise how much it must have affected her coz she was still talking about it last weekend to me when i was dressing her up :(

ns80
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
coz they are compared to the kids of that nationality...so it doesnt matter if they are fairskinned

pattams, i defenitely agree with the nationality factor. but my feeling is that isn't the only reason. do u think Americans would treat Europeans the same way :think: this holds good the other way around as well (because predominantly many here are from Europe).

I haven't seen it practically so would like to hear from people how they are treated?

butterfly
05-27-2005, 04:20 AM
pattams, i defenitely agree with the nationality factor. but my feeling is that isn't the only reason. do u think Americans would treat Europeans the same way this holds good the other way around as well (because predominantly many here are from Europe).

I haven't seen it practically so would like to hear from people how they are treated?
Ns,
will post in detail tom...but just wanted to share the story our P told my niece

God was cooking bread...some didnt get cooked & tuned white,some got burnt & turned black...but few got just cooked right...& thats who we are :)...so got to be proud about it that we dont have to go cook ourself again by spending money for Tanning :ahha:

vasan
05-27-2005, 04:26 AM
God was cooking bread...some didnt get cooked & tuned white,some got burnt & turned black...but few got just cooked right...& thats who we are

You know Pattampoochi... Its a nice story to comfort the dear child..

sadly its about as biased as the other kids/parents comments on color.. :( :( :(

It doesn't matter. Red, blue, yellow, brown, black... all are Gods children. Every color is as precious to him.. :D

Lets hope we will teach our children both self esteem as well as respect for others.. :pray: :pray:

v- :D

silican
05-27-2005, 05:27 AM
God was cooking bread...some didnt get cooked & tuned white,some got burnt & turned black...but few got just cooked right...& thats who we are

You know Pattampoochi... Its a nice story to comfort the dear child..

But v* dont you think that teaching a kid that about relating burnt bread to people is indeed a bad thing again ? :snooty:

My boss is from the UK and my colleagues are from France and Netherland. They have told me incidents about how they were humiliated by some Americans in the rural areas. So I assume that this is not just about color. :?

- Silix

vasan
05-27-2005, 05:42 AM
think that teaching a kid that about relating burnt bread to people is indeed a bad thing again ?

Thats what I said, Silix. Its bad - even though temporarily it might have helped in comforting the kid. Now the child will think she is superior to the other kids because she has brown skin.. :( :( We ought to teach them self-esteem with out belittling others. Some how the balance seems to be lacking.. :( :(

They have told me incidents about how they were humiliated by some Americans in the rural areas.

:D :D

In rural areas, whites 'humiliate' blacks, and blacks consider the white as trash. Both ridicule mexicans... Irish fellows make fun of Scots, and Scots hate anything green. Nearly every one thinks the native indians are sons of lesser gods.. infact so much so that, the very word native seems like a racial epithet or ridicule.. :Ksp: :Ksp:

World is so full of bigots. And then right in the middle of that, you would also find grace and humility and respect and courtesy. In fact I have witnessed more culture in the rural areas of USA than in the so called cities. God be with you if you visit some sections of LA.. :Ksp: :Ksp: Especially after dark.. ::( ::(

Even cops would not ride alone in some areas... Not that every one living in such areas are bad, but some really bad elements roam these areas.. :Ksp:

What can I say.. ?.. world is often beyond me.. :( :(

v- :(

suha
05-27-2005, 06:29 AM
dark skin :think: i liked that :ahha:

coolian
05-27-2005, 08:48 AM
As usual, I barge in late to a pretty interesting thread, but I have to leave my mark, so here goes. It's not a perfect world out there (man, I keep repeating myself too many times these days...), and the sad fact is, appearance does count, whether you like it or not. It plays a pretty big role (at least initially) in forming opinions about someone. In matrimonial sites you see women describing their skin tones as fair or "wheatish" in order to sound more, well, appealing to potential grooms. In Tamil movies, the heroine (and sometimes, the hero) will almost always be extremely fair, mainly because she's this hip, fashionable damsel imported from some northern state. Oh yes, and the villian will be this dark-skinned vEshti-wearing dude wielding some machete. And that sucks. Tamil Nadu (heck, the whole of India) is full of hero/ine-worshippers, so obviously when kids see fair-skinned actors and actresses living it up on-screen and beating the dark-skinned guys black and blue (pun not intended), one thought crosses their minds - it must be better to be fair-skinned. That Fair N' Lovely ad makes me laugh everytime I see it...yet I'm pretty sure the product is making a killing in India, especially down south, and SL. So who's to blame? We are, of course.

gulamiyer
06-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Actually, I prefer brown. I'm attracted to Indians more than any other race! :sm05: If you didn't know....I'm caucasian, my mom & dad are tamil. They named me Anuradha when I was adopted as a baby. As a kid I mostly hung around with other Indian kids, perhaps that explains it! Lol.