PDA

View Full Version : Help on mini project ideas

Narayana
06-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi,
i've got to do a mini project using C++ and also implement a database(using sql). I've 3 months time, but need to give the abstract within 2 weeks. Any good ideas for this?? i was thinking of something like an mp3 player... but i havnt done any major program yet... Please pour in ur ideas. thnx.

--N

Shy
06-21-2005, 06:13 PM
HR Management System (Timesheet, payroll) ellam irukara mathiri seiyalaam.. simple and easy.

MP3 player romba easy aanathu aachae ;) athuku 3 months konjam jaasthi...

vera yetha thonithuna solraen

Shy

silican
06-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi,
i've got to do a mini project using C++ and also implement a database(using sql). I've 3 months time, but need to give the abstract within 2 weeks. Any good ideas for this?? i was thinking of something like an mp3 player... but i havnt done any major program yet... Please pour in ur ideas. thnx.

OCR, Counterfeit Currency Identification, Facial Pattern Matching idhu madhiri Image processing project neraya pannalam. Jollya pozhudhu pogum. :ee:

- Silix

ashokcsn_2000
06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Try something like library management.... U can make it as simple / as complex as u want...

Or if you want some really funda project rar will test your C++ and relational skills you can do something like "Mapping data structures onto a relational DB" sort of thing... It is theoritical but makes you work on skills.

Have fun dude

Shy
06-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Library management was my mini project in 3rd year :ee:

Good one Ashok :b:

Shy

vaalu2005
06-21-2005, 07:35 PM
I just came across this list
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html
have a look at it..
think BIG....try to do somehting new with these ideas
library management? everyone does it....i wud prefer a new failure attempt than a same old stuff

Narayana
06-22-2005, 06:10 AM
OCR, Counterfeit Currency Identification, Facial Pattern Matching idhu madhiri Image processing project neraya pannalam. Jollya pozhudhu pogum. EE
gee, i forgot to mention one thing.. this mini project is just one paper out of 8(in adiition i have assembly, micro processors, sql, OS basics + the front end for this project etc.etc.) Wont ever finish the ideas you gave. Still good ones for another bigone next year.

NIce list vaalu, that gives me an idea..

Try something like library management.... U can make it as simple / as complex as u want... . Instead of books, how about images?? handle major formats like jpegs, bmps, etc.?
]

--N

dinesh
06-22-2005, 06:45 AM
There is always the age-old inventory control system :ahha:

But you should try something different. Database bit of it is going to remain the same, as long as you get the schema right it is not going to cause you any problems

ashokcsn_2000
06-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Instead of books, how about images?? handle major formats like jpegs, bmps, etc.?

Sure try a image gallery sort of thing... with multiple users and access rights... should be fun. And ofcourse there is a whole bunch of things to do with images like resizing and maybe some spl effects.

Narayana
06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I've decided to go forward with image management.. initially, i'll try for displaying images like bmp, png... then jpeg & gif. then maybe add features like resize, zoom, edit. yes usrers and access rights, transition effects..., then if there's time still, maybe sharing over a netework? I selected this(over Automatic Dictionary Creator :ee: , File manager, Chat Client, Encryption etc. as there are lots of things to add, so that it doesnt look easy .:ee: ).
So my doubt is about the GUI. Of course theres VB always, but we are thinking of making a OS independent program... what about Qt or GTK... dont know a thing abt. any of the three...

Shy
06-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Have no idea about any of these.. But why not try Java, its OS independent too.. :P There are many packages specific for imaging...

My vote is for Java ;)

Shy

katteri
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Oru kallula rendu maanga:

Yaaaravathu oru periyaa researcher pudinga....(konjam nalla theduneenga naa kidaipangaa)

Try to solve their problem....

Advantage:

You learn the concepts, you apply the C++ knowledge to the real application.

unga literature ku kavalai illaaa....avar kitaa vangidalam....

For him:
He gets the problem solved...

Win -Win situation

dinesh
06-24-2005, 06:09 PM
If you want an attractive GUI, .NEt is the only thing that is easy to do and looks pretty. Java sucks big time with GUIs. .NET byte code is platofrm independent too, so you can use it.

Narayana
06-25-2005, 04:58 AM
hm... .NET is that for the GUi alone or do i have to ditch C++ too??

sri_gan
06-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Narayana,

Don't put your focus towards any DB based management systems (HR, Library vengayam vellaakennai ellam..., Like vaalu gave *Think Big, Achieve Big*. Naama set pannara goal nammala mudiakka mudiyanum nu oru energy varanum, athoda yield kku idu inaiye kidaiyathu.

Then, choosing a language, OS independent, dependant ellam parakathinga, select the language which you feel comfortable with.... naan real life la athan imply pannuren... the good advantage with that is,

1) nenga ninaikira time vida vegama ungalukku project mudiyum...

2) Lets say oru feature nenga select pannura languagle eppadi pannurathunu tehriyalai nu vachikonga athai eppadi pannalam nu search panna thoonum, you will search like anything athe achieve pannumpothu kidaikira santhosam vera ethulaiyum kidaikkathu, then you will become the master of your own, mithvan ninukurathukku munnadi unga kitta solution irrukkum.

3) Find your desire, nenga intha field la etha neriya padikanum nu virumburenga nu parunga.. silla perukku neural networks priyam, sila perukku cryptography intha mari oru line irrukkum athe choose panni pannunga....

4) Finally, enakku athellam interest illapa na, irruka ve irrukku Payroll, HR, Sales, Contact management ellam, intha wheels ellam already invented and has not much challenge involved ina chieveing it.

Ennoda MCA Project vandu Proxy Server, Java le panninen, hidden classes ellam kandu pidichu... enakku network mela oru thrill.....

dinesh
06-26-2005, 02:51 AM
hm... .NET is that for the GUi alone or do i have to ditch C++ too??
If you have the .NET IDE by Microsoft, you can use any language of C++, C#, Java or VB to code.

Then, choosing a language, OS independent, dependant ellam parakathinga, select the language which you feel comfortable with....
Depends on the type of your project. If you dont know what platforms your users are going to be in, writng the code in VB6 is not a very bright thing to do. I think for Narayana OS independence is a prerequisite for the project.

Narayana
06-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Thanks sri_gan and dinesh.
I have no doubt about the language. It IS in C++. Problem is with GUI. JAVA theriyathu illata i could've used it... but i know C++ a bit, so i want to improve my C++ skills, rather than becoming a jack of all languages. I am planning to go with Qt for gui as it is based on C++. (Again a + for improving C++)

OS independence is not there in our rules, but i want to work in linux, my friend doesnt like linux(more like hasnt used linux). We have both windows and Linux in college. I'm not interested in learning to drive a car that runs in just one road...

We have one mini project now(5th semester) and a project in 7th semester.. i I am thinking of applying engineering and programming skills now and any innovative things next sem.. Like u said, its no use reinventing the wheel. Say, how abt, my current Idea? Image viewer? Of course we dont use the available image libraries. we need to learn all the algorithms, implement the decoders...
my area of interest... i'm just 1 year into pure computer science.. no definite ideas...Design is definitely not my area... only coding... ok, frankly, i like to do something related to astronomy, space, stuff like that.... but i dont know in which regions computers and astronomy merge... imaging? theriyadhu.. all confused.(some friends of mine are into game programming bcoz they like games, but i dont think thats a correct way... playing is different from coding..., isnt it?) Anyway I'm not going to have a choice now, am I? Here from my college(CET, trivandrum, if u have heard, probably not..) hundreds are getting recruited.. Companies take ppl. frm all trades, even Civiil and mechanical for job in computer industry. So only after some programming experience i'll get a choice, i think...
--N