PDA

View Full Version : Should one need to identify himself/herself for Religion?

yamini
06-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Should one need to identify himself/herself for Religion?

I was wondering, many times, we spend more than 50 percent of our working hours in teaching, research, and service activities. We may spend another 35 to 40 percent on family and personal interests, which leaves about ten percent for our religious related activities. There was poll conducted a couple of years ago in USA found that fifty-six percent of men [highlight=yellow:3416b8d686]under 50 say religion is "extremely" or "very" important to them, compared with 65% of women under 50 [/highlight:3416b8d686], who give those ratings.

My question in this forum is [highlight=yellow:3416b8d686]whether one needs to identify himself/herself for Religion"or "NOT ". Why not throw your views [/highlight:3416b8d686] in this forum. Before, your reply, [highlight=yellow:3416b8d686]please identify yourself which area you are going to debate [/highlight:3416b8d686]such that other Geethamites may follow you.

[highlight=yellow:3416b8d686]I belong to the group: “one need NOT identify himself /herself for Religion[/highlight:3416b8d686]"

[highlight=yellow:3416b8d686]Attn: Admn: Please toss this topic into the Trash Bin if this topic is already done.[/highlight:3416b8d686]

yamini
06-28-2005, 02:52 AM
[highlight=yellow:12d4381801]At present, it seems that no religion is free from criticisms and none is perfect[/highlight:12d4381801]. Why one should identify oneself to some religion and reluctant to take the best from other religions. The ultimate goal of life is “not identifying you to one particular religion “but leading to a meaningful life” taking the best available “resources” in the present world. Hence, [highlight=yellow:12d4381801]I choose to defend that “One need not identify himself/herself for religion”[/highlight:12d4381801].
The other day, I was reading an article with great interest. “[highlight=yellow:12d4381801]Religion should be redefined as a hobby[/highlight:12d4381801]: a voluntary activity which is deemed to be a matter of personal freedom as long as it does not interfere significantly with the rights of others. There is no good reason to elevate beliefs and practices that are irrational above beliefs and practices that are rational.”

[highlight=yellow:12d4381801]I imagine a hobby in which "I can play with Krishna, Lakshmi, Ganesha, Jesus and Mahavir, Buddha and Mohamed are there.[/highlight:12d4381801] :lol: :lol:

valluvan
06-28-2005, 11:57 AM
I belong to the group "One need to identify himself/ herself for religion"

I shall post my views soon.

rosaline
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
:think: i am agree with you yamini :yes: It' not important that which religion you are....Important who and how good you are..... :sm36:

yamini
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
i am agree with you yamini It' not important that which religion you are....Important who and how good you are.....

வாங்க.. :b: வாங்க ஒரு கலக்கு கலக்குவோம் :b: :b: இங்கே. ஆமாம், உங்க "அவதாரம்" செய்வதைப்ப ார்த்தால், எனக்கு கொஞ்சம் பயமாயிருக் கிறதே :lol: ... நீங்கள் என் பக்கமா என்று.. ..... காலை வாரி விட மாட்டீர்கள ே?... :lol:

Shy
06-28-2005, 03:14 PM
No one should identify for Religion.

For every humanbeing there should be some guidelines that he can lookup and lead his life and religion is one such thing. to lead a peaceful, mannered life you need that. Ofcourse you can do that without religion, but human mentality when there is no boundary always will think of trying somethings which might not be good/mannered.

Will post my views soon..

Shy

rosaline
06-28-2005, 03:21 PM
:think: i don't know tamil....so, did not able to undestand even one word.... :(
Hope you won't mind to translate it for me.... :sm36: ....thanks.... :wink:

Shy
06-28-2005, 03:42 PM
i am agree with you yamini It' not important that which religion you are....Important who and how good you are.....

வாங்க.. :b: வாங்க ஒரு கலக்கு கலக்குவோம் :b: :b: இங்கே. ஆமாம், உங்க "அவதாரம்" செய்வதைப்ப ார்த்தால், எனக்கு கொஞ்சம் பயமாயிருக் கிறதே :lol: ... நீங்கள் என் பக்கமா என்று.. ..... காலை வாரி விட மாட்டீர்கள ே?... :lol:

For Yamini :)

Vaanga Vaanga. Oru kalaku Kalakuvoom ingae. Aamaam, unga avataram seirathai paarthaal, enakku konjam bayama irukkirathae. neenga en pakkama thaanae, kaalai vaari vidamateengalae

Meaning

Come..come. Lets together make sure we win (thats a slang, not sure how to translate that perfectly :oops:) BTW, the thing ur avatar is doing, its scary. U are my side, wont pull my legs right ?? ;)

Correct a Yamini :)

Shy

rosaline
06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks...shy for translating me...what's the slang ...is there anybody scolding :fight: me badly or what.... :00: .. :wink: ....if you think that my avtar is scary than one moment...i will show you another avatar.....
Yamini....i am sure we will win..... :b:

yamini
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
For Yamini

Vaanga Vaanga. Oru kalaku Kalakuvoom ingae. Aamaam, unga avataram seirathai paarthaal, enakku konjam bayama irukkirathae. neenga en pakkama thaanae, kaalai vaari vidamateengalae

Meaning

Come..come. Lets together make sure we win (thats a slang, not sure how to translate that perfectly ) BTW, the thing ur avatar is doing, its scary. U are my side, wont pull my legs right ??

Correct a Yamini

[highlight=yellow:7e38705ad4]WoW!!! Thanks a lot , Shy :yes: [/highlight:7e38705ad4]. I won't feel shy in proceeding further..

i don't know tamil....so, did not able to undestand even one word

Don't worry. :b: I keep writing in English only.. Don't say that "We will win" . We will try our best. :b: Otherwise, [highlight=yellow:7e38705ad4]Vasan will be unhappy as he has said once that he keeps winning in every Pattimandram..[/highlight:7e38705ad4] :lol:

vasan
06-28-2005, 05:43 PM
I belong to the group: “one need NOT identify himself /herself for Religion"

i am agree with you yamini

I don't care what I actually believe in.. (rr.. I don't even know.. :oops:)... But hey, I MUST argue against Yamini & Rosaline.... Some times youngsters need to learn some good lessons and truths about life.. :wink: :P.. so.. here we go.. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

My position: One needs to indentify for religion...

Simplest reason - it kinda defines your position on various issues that affect ones life. I am not forcing down anyone's throat what my ideas are... but I am simply expressing, what I believe in. Nothing wrong in saying that, is there?

I don't believe in death penalty. I believe Tamil is (the most) beautiful language. I belive I am the nicest guy in the world (:sm12: :sm12:).... I believe LA Lakers are the best basketball team in the world.. :P I believe a million things (and none of them are perfect, I admit).. So if I can boldly and freely identify myself with and for these things, why should I not freely and forthrightly state my religious beliefs?

I agree the other person may not have the same beliefs. I am willing to listen to his views too. I also know that their veiws are not perfect either. So what??

People should identify for religion. Its not about bragging or whose God is greater, buts about what you believe in and what you stand for... Its just a succint way of stating your collective belief and stand on issues - and what inspires you.

Thats all, your honor.. :sm03:

Vasan

ps: I heard rumors that the NO group already gave up.. :think: Is that true.. :wink: Come on.. you have to identify yourself and admit it.. :ee:

Shy
06-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks...shy for translating me...what's the slang ...is there anybody scolding :fight: me badly or what.... :00: .. :wink: ....if you think that my avtar is scary than one moment...i will show you another avatar.....
Yamini....i am sure we will win..... :b:

acho nothing like that rosa...
BTW I cant see your new avatar thou :)

shy

anainar
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Yamini,

ippadi argument kilapreengo?

I still did not get the gist of your question. Whether you are asking is whether it is right or wrong or whether one should.

To me, identifying oneself with their beliefs is inevitable. Your beliefs will come out in some form or the other. One's behaviour is a manifestation of their beliefs. How can they be different?

I believe Tamil is a great language. It comes out when talking and I never flinch to flaunt our language. Or my beliefs in polity. I do take a stance and it comes out from me in various forms. So, it is impossible to dissociate one from the other.

I for one believe that one should have no qualms about identifying with their religion. Need not be by wearing vibuthi or going to church. But one should not hesitate to associate themselves.

So, I am in the Yes group. Who are all in the "No" group? Yamini, Shy and who else? Onnum illai, unga thalaila podarathukku thundu order panna thaan. :D :D :D

Cheers

katteri
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
My vote is for one need to identify himself/herself for Religion.....

It is the religion which has transformed me into a complete man...(Raymonds illaaa) so y SHD'NT i give it a RECOGNITION

Shy
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
No one should identify for Religion.

For every humanbeing there should be some guidelines that he can lookup and lead his life and religion is one such thing. to lead a peaceful, mannered life you need that. Ofcourse you can do that without religion, but human mentality when there is no boundary always will think of trying somethings which might not be good/mannered.

Will post my views soon..

Shy

Achoooooooooooooooooo

oru chinna comma pooda maranthuten.. I am in yes group :cry: :cry:

it shud hv been read like this

No, one should identify for Religion.

yamini post padichen, athu no solitu start pani irunthen ... grrrrrrrrrrrr (for mysekf)

Shy

anainar
06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Shy,

Thundu order panniyaachu. Can't be returned. It is not BestBuy or Target to return. Indian thundu. Vaangiyaachu. Thalaiyai ready pannikungo. :D :D :D

I read that I myself was puzzled whether Shy got converted to Atheism. You never know when living in the land of Yankees.

I have heard stories about a missing comma causing havoc. I am seeing for the first time personally. :D :D :D

Cheers

vaalu2005
06-28-2005, 07:16 PM
anna niyaar....nammakku indha thundu podadheengana naan unga pakkam naaa...ponnada venaa porthunganaa.....naaanum en views appalikaa podurenaa......

yamini
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
don't care what I actually believe in.. (rr.. I don't even know.. )... But hey, I MUST argue against Yamini & Rosaline.... Some times youngsters need to learn

some good lessons and truths about life.. .. so.. here we go..

[highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]Are you Okay, Vasan? :lol: . It seems that you are in good spirit. [/highlight:e234f761f2]You say that you don't know what you are talking... and don't care what you beleive in... but you MUST argue against "Yamini" and "Rosaline". [highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]WoW...it seems that you have choosen the topic for "Wrong" reasons. [/highlight:e234f761f2]Well, the debate is to express and justify your view with "solid points" that one need to identify himself/herself for Religion. Please throw your cards such that a fair play could be thought of. :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simplest reason - it kinda defines your position on various issues that affect ones life.

[highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]May We know the various issues you are talking about, your honor?[/highlight:e234f761f2]

Achoooooooooooooooooo

oru chinna comma pooda maranthuten.. I am in yes group

[highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]Don't worry. You are at liberty to join any group. I am here to justify my views.I can do it alone, even I don't find anyone supporting me.. :wink: I do have a lot of points to say.. :wink: [/highlight:e234f761f2]Let us wait for more .... :lol:

Thundu order panniyaachu. Can't be returned. It is not BestBuy or Target to return. Indian thundu. Vaangiyaachu. Thalaiyai ready pannikungo

[highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]It is tooooooooooooooooooooooooo early to decide. Let us see who gets "Thundu". [/highlight:e234f761f2]

[highlight=yellow:e234f761f2]I am ready .....to answer all the relevant points :b: :b: , not political points :lol: , just like that ..bla blaa... :lol: ..[/highlight:e234f761f2]

I will be back soon..

valluvan
06-28-2005, 08:41 PM
[color=blue][highlight=yellow:cf6caabc59]At present, it seems that no religion is free from criticisms and none is perfect[/highlight:cf6caabc59]. Why one should identify oneself to some religion and reluctant to take the best from other religions. The ultimate goal of life is “not identifying you to one particular religion “but leading to a meaningful life” taking the best available “resources” in the present world. Hence, [highlight=yellow:cf6caabc59]I choose to defend that “One need not identify himself/herself for religion”[/highlight:cf6caabc59].

I am seeing the positive side of religion. All the religions are having their own merits and demerits, but all religions are teaching 'love', 'brotherhood', 'forgiveness', 'peace' and etc.,... Why can't we take the positive things of religion and follow. My religion has goods and bads. I am following the good, leaving the bad behind.

There is a tamil song stating 'Maadu rendu....padhai rendu.....Vandi enge seerum' which means if one has multiple ways in front of him, he won't reach any where. One has to concentrate/ follow one way to reach the goal. Thus believing/ following one religion ploughs one's heart and makes/ transforms him in to human being and leads him to the God. :b:

valluvan
06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I could see so many 'yes'es in posts but not in ballets????? Onlye my vote is casted!!!!!!! Why???

yamini
06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
..... am seeing the positive side of religion. All the religions are having their own merits and demerits, but all religions are teaching 'love', 'brotherhood', 'forgiveness', 'peace' and etc.,... Why can't we take the positive things of religion and follow. My religion has goods and bads. I am following the good, leaving the bad behind.

Valluvan, I appreciate that you are seeing the positive points of religion, :b: but follow the positive points without attaching yourself to any particular Religion.That's the key goal of "MY GROUP". [highlight=yellow:6f3c409565]BTW, are you planning to shift to my group? [/highlight:6f3c409565] :lol: Well, I do agree with 100% of a few lines of what you had written but the question is [highlight=yellow:6f3c409565]Why should you want to say that "I belong to Hindu or... Christian or so and so.. religion".Why do you want to identify to religion?. [/highlight:6f3c409565]

According to me, [highlight=yellow:6f3c409565]Religion is like "Food". [/highlight:6f3c409565]I do agree that "FOOD" is part and parcel of life. But, [highlight=yellow:6f3c409565]don't say that "I am going to be healthy because you have to eat this "kind of food" only[/highlight:6f3c409565].You are born in this world to survive and lead a peaceful life by fulfilling your goals. I am sure most of you would agree that one "kind of food" i.e, only one religion is NOT adequate to get you healthy and your goal of life achieved. So, what we say that [highlight=yellow:6f3c409565] "One need not himself/herself idenified for religion". But take the good food from other religions and "don't identify yourself to religion "and lead a happy and healthy life as a good "HUMAN BEING". [/highlight:6f3c409565]

More to continue....

yamini
06-29-2005, 06:30 PM
WoW... no reply for more than 12 hours :think: Also, I am surprised to see that people supporting me are also not visible. :think: Is there any political threat to them? :lol: :think:

valluvan
06-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Valluvan, I appreciate that you are seeing the positive points of religion, :b: but follow the positive points without attaching yourself to any particular Religion.That's the key goal of "MY GROUP". [highlight=yellow:0e8932df22]BTW, are you planning to shift to my group? [/highlight:0e8932df22] :lol: Well, I do agree with 100% of a few lines of what you had written but the question is [highlight=yellow:0e8932df22]Why should you want to say that "I belong to Hindu or... Christian or so and so.. religion".Why do you want to identify to religion?. [/highlight:0e8932df22]

Yeap...Yams :wink: ... I mentioned that we need to take the positives 'in the regilion' to which one belongs or believes. Not all. :b:

According to me, [highlight=yellow:0e8932df22]Religion is like "Food". [/highlight:0e8932df22]I do agree that "FOOD" is part and parcel of life. But, [highlight=yellow:0e8932df22]don't say that "I am going to be healthy because you have to eat this "kind of food" only[/highlight:0e8932df22].You are born in this world to survive and lead a peaceful life by fulfilling your goals. I am sure most of you would agree that one "kind of food" i.e, only one religion is NOT adequate to get you healthy and your goal of life achieved. So, what we say that [highlight=yellow:0e8932df22] "One need not himself/herself idenified for religion". But take the good food from other religions and "don't identify yourself to religion "and lead a happy and healthy life as a good "HUMAN BEING". [/highlight:0e8932df22]

More to continue....

Yams :wink: .......what I mentioned in my post is no religion is perfect, but...but...all are teaching love, peace, brotherhood, etc., If the religion which I belong to/ believe already has these and teaches these, why should I go to other religions as they also teaches the same. What should one search in other religions if mine is having all. :think: :b:

yamini
06-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Yams .......what I mentioned in my post is no religion is perfect, but...but...all are teaching love, peace, brotherhood, etc., If the religion which I belong to/ believe already has these and teaches these, why should I go to other religions as they also teaches the same. What should one search in other religions if mine is having all.

It is quite interesting :think: to note that the religion you belong to / beleive already has everything. If so, please clarify the following:

[1] [highlight=yellow:ad76d3681c]Do you agree that Religion is a belief system?[/highlight:ad76d3681c]

[highlight=yellow:ad76d3681c]If "YES", [/highlight:ad76d3681c]then it goes without saying that every individual will have a different belief system though he/she belongs to the same religion as you are. So you can NOT expect a commmon ideology or so..

[highlight=yellow:ad76d3681c]If your answer is "NO[/highlight:ad76d3681c], you are expected to clarify "what is Religion? who is the founder of the Religion? why was it formed? Why should one identify oneself for Religion ?. [highlight=yellow:ad76d3681c]So far, I have not received any points supporting your groups' stand[/highlight:ad76d3681c].

Looking forward to receiving your answer.. YES or NO.. :lol: