PDA

View Full Version : Indian goverment bans access of Yahoo Groups

dinesh
09-30-2003, 12:50 AM
http://www.thinnai.com/pl0925034.html

I don't know about the truth in this article though....

arumugam57
09-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Only some groups.
But not all groups.
Indian govt can not control yahoo groups.

priyarock
09-30-2003, 01:02 AM
YYY?? ban ...???? whats the reason ?? :?

dinesh
09-30-2003, 01:10 AM
Only some groups.
But not all groups.
Indian govt can not control yahoo groups.

No arumugam...that's point of this article......they have asked the internet backbone in the country to block access to incoming traffic from yahoo groups

saraku
09-30-2003, 08:53 AM
guys,

i didnt read the artilce at the above link ... but i did read so news this blocking thing.

The fact is .... indian govt. wanted to block only one of the yahoo groups ( i think it was called 'kynun' or so) ... and when they gave instructions to the appropriate service providers, these people blocked either the full groups.yahoo.com or most of them. So there was some confusion at some places, for eg. in some region in kerala there this blocking of full site happened.

This is what i read recently somewhere, i dont remember the link ... when i get that i will post here.

vepa27
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
this is true. they just banned yahoo groups. you cannot access yahoo groups from india.
i am member of murasu angel. yesterday only i come to know they banned fully.

vennai1
09-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Nalla comedy ... ;) ;)

Hope the ban is lifted soon...after some techies clarify

the ISPs ;)

sri_gan
09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
More information

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/xml/uncomp/articleshow?msid=196169

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/23/HNindiablocks_1.html

anainar
10-03-2003, 04:34 PM
This is a serious violation of privacy rights enshrined on us by the Constitution. And this kind of policing is totally unwarranted. This is just one part.

By doing this Govt of India/The Minister for Information/ and the bureaucrats in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting have made a fool of themselves. They were so ignorant about Internet that they thought if they block the acces at ISP sites, they can block the sites. They were so naive that they failed to understand it is kids job to bypass such conditions. Two days back one kid broke the firewall through an anonymser software that told the ISP that he is seeing some thing else, but actually he was in Yahoo groups. It is such a stupid decision that cannot be implemented at all and in that case it is better to keep mouth shut rather than show your ignorance for everyone to see.

Hats off to Yahoo for refusing to budge the Ministries threat. And a big thumbs down to all ISPs for not educating our honourable ministers about these loop holes.

Cheers.

dinesh
10-03-2003, 06:51 PM
to crown all these stupidity, the separatist organisation which prompted this ban only had 96 members to its Yahoo group it seems. Now, thanks to the Indian goverment, the whole world knows of its existence.

anainar
10-06-2003, 04:27 PM
to crown all these stupidity, the separatist organisation which prompted this ban only had 96 members to its Yahoo group it seems. Now, thanks to the Indian goverment, the whole world knows of its existence.

The govt should have approached the problem differently. We cannot allow sedition in anyform and we have laws for that. Had the govt approached courts and filed charges against Yahoo, Yahoo has to answer in the court of law. I know they will plead ignorance, that they are only sevice providers. But that does not mean they can allow their services to be misused. They can remove IDs and block IDs or for that matter remove a whole group. It it went that way Yahoo would have budged.

It is just some minister thought of taking a short cut and made a fool of himself.

Cheers.

vennai1
10-06-2003, 07:37 PM

The govt should have approached the problem differently. We cannot allow sedition in anyform and we have laws for that. Had the govt approached courts and filed charges against Yahoo, Yahoo has to answer in the court of law. I know they will plead ignorance, that they are only sevice providers. But that does not mean they can allow their services to be misused. They can remove IDs and block IDs or for that matter remove a whole group. It it went that way Yahoo would have budged.

It is just some minister thought of taking a short cut and made a fool of himself.

Cheers.

Sidetrack::

Even if it was sedition or incitement of law-making authorities,
yahoo does not need to budge in to the Indian goverment,
there are not many specific group laws and forum laws.
Secondly, Yahoo could have argued out in a variety of ways
and the blame would squarely fall on that group administrators/
origination Domains ! So it is not like we could have swung
yahoo! by its tail ! :nono: :nono: :D

shivadev
10-14-2003, 08:18 PM
we are unable to use yahoo groups here :( what to do?? please tell..

dinesh
10-14-2003, 08:31 PM
aren't their anonymizer sites, through which you can access stuff.....

anainar
10-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Sidetrack::

Even if it was sedition or incitement of law-making authorities,
yahoo does not need to budge in to the Indian goverment,
there are not many specific group laws and forum laws.
Secondly, Yahoo could have argued out in a variety of ways
and the blame would squarely fall on that group administrators/
origination Domains ! So it is not like we could have swung
yahoo! by its tail ! :nono: :nono: :D

How did the Music companies sue the Music swappers like Kaza? They proved in the court that the music files were swapped and made the user liable, though Kaza wriggled out pleading ignorance.

The same way if there is prima facie evidence that a group of Yahoo indulges in sedition as per Indian law, Yahoo can be taken to task. They can plead ignorance like I said, but atleast they can block the IDs involved in the group creation. It is a different story that the blocked ids can come alive in another form, but it will takes its own time to form the network. But they will be accountable to block the IDs if the court ordered.

Cheers

vennai1
10-15-2003, 02:07 AM
iyyanaar,

all kazaa or any other P2P s/w had to do with the cases of music group

was to give out the details of heavy swappers ! which they first resisted

and had to budge. so it is NOT as if the music group kicked out kazaa...

they cannot get even a single penny from kazaa... because all it id

was to provide a service to share files. using it for wrong purposes

is totally left to the user's discretion.

in the same way, yahoo! never have to budge and atmost they would

have to do as you said was to give away the ids of the people

who were involved in this !

anne, neenga connecticut and kansas rulings paarunga...
appa puriyum, kazaa mela yevanum kai vaikka mudiyaathunnu... :nono: ;)

sri_gan
10-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Think about apple.com. They give the same songs for 99cents and made it legal.

Thats corporate mind and it was so hot when it was released.

anainar
10-15-2003, 02:51 AM
iyyanaar,
they cannot get even a single penny from kazaa... because all it id

was to provide a service to share files. using it for wrong purposes

is totally left to the user's discretion.

in the same way, yahoo! never have to budge and atmost they would

have to do as you said was to give away the ids of the people

who were involved in this !

Athu thaanay venum namakku? We dont want to take Yahoo to task. But we can make them divulge the ids or atleast block the IDs which they will be obliged to do, with evidence of sedition. I know Kaza was not held responsible, but the music companies held the music swappers violating copy rights and not Kaza. By the same logic, the user who created the group could have been take to task or atleast their ids blocked. Athu thaan naan sonnen.

Cheers

sri_gan
10-15-2003, 02:54 AM
If Yahoo thought wisely, they could have killed this thing so easily.

Do you think it is impossible to block the ids or the groups alone?

They have spam filters for email...come on...

vepa27
10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
indian government now allowed yahoo groups still some internet providers banned yahoo groups. related news.http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5081021.html

shivadev
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
yes it is accessible now in india