PDA

View Full Version : ** Semolina upma with tomato chutney **

Priyam2004
08-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Quick & easy ~ will be ready in 10 mins ;)

SEMOLINA UPMA WITH TOMATO CHUTNEY

For the upma:

You need:-
1 cup of semolina (rava)
1 small onion (chopped to small pieces)
2 green chillies
2 dry red chillies
1 tablespoon of chana dal (kadalai paruppu)
Ginger, curry leaves, oil, kadugu, jeera & perungaiyam
Oil (abt 2 tablespoons)
Salt to taste

How to make:-
Place a saucepan on the cooker...pour some oil and heat.
Then chuck in the kadugu, jeera, perungaiyam, chana dal, ginger, curry leaves, onion and the chillies......fry for abt 1 min.
Now put the rava in and fry until slightly brown.
Add 1 cup of water...and bring to boil.
Add the salt....mix well.....and leave on low heat for 4 - 5 mins.......

(If the upma is too thick, add more hot water)

Upma ready!!! :P

[hr:8b490ecc67]

For the tomato chutney:

You need:-
5/6 tomatoes (chopped) or you can use tin of chopped tomatoes
1 onion (chopped to small pieces)
2 green chillies
Curry leaves
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
Kadagu, sombu, pattai & bay leaves
Oil (abt 1 tablespoon)
Salt to taste

How to make:
Place a saucepan on the cooker...pour 2 tablespoons of oil.
Put the kadagu, sombu, pattai & bay leaves...and fry.
Now put in the curry leaves, onion, chillies & tomatoes...and fry for 1 min.
Add in the powders, salt and fry for another 1 min.
Add a little bit of water.
Place the lid on and leave on heat for 2 - 3 mins to boil.

(If the chutney is too watery, add 2 teaspoons of corn flour before boiling and mix well)

Chutney ready!!! :P

vasan
08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Place a saucepan on the cooker...pour some oil and heat.

Place a saucepan on the cooker...pour 2 tablespoons of oil.

Did ya mean to say, place a sauce pan on the Stove, Q.Chef :think: :P How do I place a sauce pan on a cooker? :?

Then chuck in the kadugu, jeera, perungaiyam....

hm..m.. kitta ninnu kottanumaa, illai thoorama ninnu basketball maathiri chuck pannavaa? Illai, muththaiya muralitharan maathiri short-sprint, slow arm rotation, and chuck pannavaa? :think: :think: explain, peech.. :pray:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Now put the rava in and fry until slightly brown.
Add 1 cup of water...and bring to boil.

Oh.. I do it bit differently.. :ee:

I first fry lightly the rava/semolina.. keep it aside. Fry the ginger, onion (and other jolly things), and add water, let it boil, and then in the boiling water add the rava/semolina. Otherwise (I used to think) rava will be come soggy, instead of getting cooked..

Didn't know you could fry all to gether.. :oops: :sm03:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Q. Chef, you forgot the golden rule. Haven't you seen any cooking shows in TV? The guy (its always the guys.. :doh:) cooks, and gives a spoon of cooked stuff for the guest (some well dressed good looking woman.. always :doh:) a taste..

rr.. granted that the gender mixup could be over thrown, shouldn't you offer the viwers a taste of what you suggest? :? :?

Oru vaay.. uppumaa? :( :(

v- :P

ps: Weather channel predicts that lots of poori-kattai mazhai will be there to day in CA.. :( :( Sorrryyy :pray: teacher.. :sm03: for all the unwanted chat.. :ee:

valluvan
08-22-2005, 08:42 PM
V-. :evil: :D ...edho kastapaduravangalukkaga :( veetula keattu recipe pottirukkaanga. adha poi kindal panreengalee. :nono:

Thanks Priyam for the recipe. :b:

Indha recipe pottadhula irundhu enna theriyudhu-nna Priyam checks RT randomly-nnu. :ee: Ennoda half of the posts in RT-la naan uppuma saaptteen-nnu pottu iruppen. :wink: Thirunelveli-kke alwa-va? Thiruppathikke Ladda? Valluvanukke Upppumava? :D Summa kiddingpa. Sorry to say that me already knew this recipe. Vazhkai-la paadhi naal uppuma-la thaan ootturren. :D

Vasan solli irukkira recipe mathiri thaan seyven.

1) First fry semoline in small flame till you get the smell of the semolina or turns in to light brown and keep it aside.
2) Put some oil in pan and add few musturd, urad dhaal, curry leaves, green or red chillis (as required), Ginger (neraya poodunga...health-kku nalladhu) and fry for a minute.
3) Then add sliced Onion (1 number) and fry till it turns in to light brown.
4) Then add 2 and half cups of water for a cup of semolina (which is enough for 2 adults) and let it boil. Also add one sliced tomato, required salt and if you would like colours, add a pinch of turmeric powder. It 'll give yellow colour.
5) Once it is in boiling stage, add semolina from a plate slowly and stir the water so that there is no bunch formation. Stir for two minutes till all the water evaporates and comes to semi solid or nearly solid.

Soodaana suvaiyaana Uppuma Ready :D

Two things are important here.

Water : If you add too much of water, then you need to drink "kool". If you add less, then semolina wouldn't have boiled well and have to eat half boiled. (Experience eppadi pesudhu paaththeengalaa :D )

Appropriate water level is for a cup of semolina , 2 and half cups of water.

Bunch formation (Katti vizhuthal) : while adding semolina into the boiling water, add slowly and stir the water so that there forms no bunches. :b: :b:

Priyam2004
08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi Vasa

Place the saucepan on the stove?? :Ksp: Hmmm....if that's what you call the cooker out there then yeap on the stove.....but here for us it's on the cooker :D

You can chuck it in as you like...just make sure you chuck those jolly ingredients into the frying pan and not onto the person next to you...or out the window...or onto the floor, etc ;)

Regarding the upma becoming soggy, that's only if you pour too much water Vasa, start off with pouring a little bit of water...and if need be you can add to it! :P

Oh the golden rule...I didn't get any guests to try the upma, yaarukumae inga en upma've sapida thariyam illai...athan! :( However if you're willing then I'll send you a spoon...just a spoon :sm12: verum spoon illai...with the upma of course.... :D

Thanks! :sm08:

Priyam2004
08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Ooooooohhhhhh :doh: :doh: :doh:

Valluvan very sorry :( I didn't check your previous posts...etho quick & easy recipe podanum nu ithe potten....I will ask amma for another recipe!! :D

Upma vaalga :b:

silican
08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Semolina Upmaa with Tomato chutney :think: Remake of Pasta ?? :Ksp:

- Silix

Priyam2004
08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Upma like pasta....I don't think so!! :Ksp: I don't eat upma, so no idea Silix......

silican
08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't eat upma, so no idea Silix......

:00: :00: Idhenna pdhu kadhai ?? :00: :00: Appuram edhukku indha recipe potrukeenga :think:

Shy, "Idhai kandippaga neengaL muyarchchi seyyalam"nu pottappurama I will cook. :)

Just kidding Priyam Enakku semolina Upma pidikkadhu. Only Kesari :ee:

Priyam2004
08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
:00: :00: Ennathu.....Shy akka approval stamp kuthanumaa??? No prb, akkkkaaa....vango...vanthu enakku oru pass mark podungo....... :P :P

Aamaa Silix, naanum unga mathuri than...enakkum rava upma pidikathu :P Enakku kesari'yum pidikathu...."Appo enna than sapiduva?" nu ketturathingo! :D :D

valluvan
08-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Kesari romba easy :lol: . Uppuma-la salt-kku padhila Sugar potturungoooo.. Kesari ready :ee: :D

silican
08-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Aamaa Silix, naanum unga mathuri than...enakkum rava upma pidikathu :P Enakku kesari'yum pidikathu...."Appo enna than sapiduva?" nu ketturathingo! :) :)

Thayir semiya ? :P

I love Thayir Semiya. Chennai'la Egmore Nungampakkam Raj Bhavan'la saayangala time'la ponaa kedaikkum suda suda Thayir Semiya. :) Man !! Ok, idhu "Where to eat" thread'la dhan pesanumnu theriyum. But couldnt control :( Chorry

- Silix

vijitha
08-23-2005, 12:44 AM
எனக்கு உப்பு மா ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும் நல்ல சாப்பிடுவே ன் :ee: :ee:

suha
08-23-2005, 03:05 AM
semolinaa uppu mavvu la..... :Ksp:

uppu irrukku maavu illaa :? appo why iddhuku name uppu maavvuu :oops:

verum uppu and mavvu potta uppumavvaa :oops: me sapitadhu ilaaa :Ksp:

valluvan
08-23-2005, 11:09 PM
எனக்கு உப்பு மா ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும் நல்ல சாப்பிடுவே ன் :ee: :ee:

நானும் அப்படியே சாப்பிடுவே ன். :yes: :yes:

semolinaa uppu mavvu la.....

uppu irrukku maavu illaa appo why iddhuku name uppu maavvuu

verum uppu and mavvu potta uppumavvaa me sapitadhu ilaaa

No-ma. Ravai theriyuma? :think: Kesari seyvomee...adhu thaan semolina. Ravai vachchu seyura oru recipe thaan 'Rava uppuma'. :D Snap kedachcha podureen. ok-va? :D :b:

suha
08-24-2005, 03:14 AM
ho apddiyaa :think: appo rava eppadi irrukkuum :?

chprri valls anna :Ksp: ennaaku terillaaaa :cry:

valluvan
09-05-2005, 09:30 PM
ho apddiyaa :think: appo rava eppadi irrukkuum :?

chprri valls anna :Ksp: ennaaku terillaaaa :cry:

Suha kuttis :D ........This is 'Rava upma' with curd, ok-va :P

http://www.geocities.com/hi2he2ha/uppuma.jpg

vasan
09-05-2005, 09:38 PM
sakkarai vacchu sapidailaiyaa? :think: enna, ennai maathiri ellaathilaiyum curd add pannikkireenga? :Ksp: Copy cat.. :ahha: :P

Looks yum, Mr. BigMan.. :b: (but then any food with a spoon yogurt will look like that.. :wink: :P)..

v-

valluvan
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
enna, ennai maathiri ellaathilaiyum curd add pannikkireenga?

adhu onnu thaan readymade-a kedakkudhu :ahha:

Neengalum curd visuvaasi-ya :think: :yes: same pinch. :D

suha
09-06-2005, 11:27 AM
wowwww iddhu thaan rava-va.... :think:

i think iddhu suji soluvangha may i correct :?

valls anna neengel cook pannaddha :ee: ennaku sapdianum pol irruKKei :Ksp:

silican
09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Suha kuttis Very Happy ........This is 'Rava upma' with curd, ok-va :P

Andha Curd'la apdiye oru spoon Idly-podi pottu...:sm05: