PDA

View Full Version : Cricket and Religion

silican
09-19-2005, 05:43 PM
http://pcb.com.pk/pictures/1/1903.jpg

Lahore, Sep 19: Pakistan's star cricketer Yousaf Yohanna's decision to convert to Islam and change his name to Mohammad Yousaf has so annoyed his parents that he had to stay out of his house for two days and is still not dining at home. Yousaf, the team vice captain and the sole Christian in the squad, has also withdrawn his children from a private school in the upscale Defence neighbourhood and enrolled them in a modest Islamic school. "I don't want to give Yousaf my name after what he has done," Daily Times Monday quoted his mother as saying.She blamed the conversion on Javed, the brother of former Pakistani cricketer Saeed Anwar, who became a born-again Muslim after the death of his daughter three years ago. "We always suspected that something was wrong as Yousaf was getting very close to Javed... he is responsible for ruining my son and my family," Yousaf's mother said. "We only came to know about his decision after he offered Friday prayers at a mosque. It was a shock for us," she added. "This is the most terrible thing that has happened to my family," Yousaf's mother said.

Yousaf, 31, took the decision to convert during a recent trip to Jeddah. The ceremony took place in Pakistan with members of a Tableeghi Jamaat (group of preachers) present where he and his family said the Kalma (a Quranic verse testifying that there's no god except Allah and Mohammad is His Prophet) and later performed Umra (a religious pilgrimage to Makkah). Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said the batsman's interest in Islam was at least three years old. "Obviously, the main source of inspiration and influence is Saeed Anwar, but it was also the Tableeghi Jamaat's people who frequently visited the PCB offices and training academy to influence cricketers," said a former PCB official. "(Former Test wicketkeeper) Zulqarnain was the first religious influence on the team and later Saeed Anwar led many cricketers including Waqar Younis, Inzamam, Afridi, Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed to senior clerics," the official said. "The team's environment is getting more and more religious as almost all seniors have become strongly religious," the official added. Youhana has scored 4,272 runs in 59 Tests at 47.46 and 6,761 in 202 one-day internationals at 41.11. He has also smashed 13 centuries in Tests and 11 in one day internationals.

coolian
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Whatever the case, it's his choice. If he's happy, great! Who cares?

vasan
09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I didn't know there were christians in Pakistan's team.. :00:

Whatever he decides, he is all grown up.... :b: :b:

v-

coolian
09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Danish Kaneria's the only Hindu in Pakistan's team.

vasan
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
:00:

More surprise.. didn't know they had hindus either.. :oops: :oops: Haven't heard of Danish (and his rather crunchy name.. :sm12:) either.. :Ksp: :doh:

Too busy watching ball games, I guess.. :oops:

v-

ps: Did you guys see that Gatrode commercial? A bat is a bat, even if its flat.. and football is football, unless it is foot ball.. :ee: pretty sleek.. :P

rsivaraman
09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
ps: Did you guys see that Gatrode commercial? A bat is a bat, even if its flat.. and football is football, unless it is foot ball.. EE pretty sleek.. Razz

saw that one :D :D , pretty neat

-Siva

coolian
09-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Cool ad, that! Wonder if I can see it online somewhere...