PDA

View Full Version : Is there HYPERNATING FACILITY in Linux?

arumugam57
10-05-2003, 07:37 AM
You know hypernating facility right?
Whatever you are application you are working now and how many windows you opened now.. In windows-xp if you HYPERNATE the present profile will be stored in hard disk and shut down will happen ( The whole proccess will be over with 5-10 seconds).

Next time when you start windws directly it will resume the present profile and it will open all windows. Means you can just bring the past environ ment . This will happen with in a second after entering into your password.
Whole process from starting the computer will take just 8-10 seconds.

Do you have this facility in Linux? Just any idea?.

sweetie
10-05-2003, 07:48 AM
It is possible to do in laptops... that I am sure coz I have experienced doing it... U have to some device drivers sometimes... but generally it works out of the box.. its done with a special set of keys... for example Fn+F4 will suspend.... and Fn+F12 hibernates.... I think this key combination u can change according to ur convenience...

sweetie
10-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Check out the BIOS settings...

sweetie
10-05-2003, 07:56 AM
hmmm..... I cant see how do it on a desktop 6FACE.... but in laptops as I said, u can find it in ur kernel, or get some kernel patches (according to ur kernel) and patch it... sometimes it works even if the APM does not work... and also U have to make a hibernate partition in ur disk with the amount of ur RAM + a coupla extra MB's.....

And if u r having a dell inspiron, it comes with a support for hibernate facility...

for people who are not sure wat hibernate is, it is a function, which when invoked, copies all the data onto the hibernate partition and suspends the system... once u get it back up, it will resume form where u left off....

sweetie
10-05-2003, 08:01 AM
and one more thing 6FACE....

Make sure wat u want... whether an hardware suspend or a software suspend... h/w sus will get back the system from the bios when u start it up again... a s/w suspend will get it back from the OS ....

Try doing man apmd...

thats why I said sometime U mite need to get a device driver.....