PDA

View Full Version : University in UK

Shy
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
sunderland university in UK.

UK people, can you guys let me know about this university. If its a good one, how about the place, accomodation angae eppadi.. cost of living eppadi etc...

thanks much

shy

krishng
01-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Naan kelvi pattadhey illa indha uni pathi. UK cost of living eppovumey expensive dhaan. anyway correct information UK pasanga vandhu solvaanga..

cheers.

Shy
01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
thanks Krish...

yes .. costly thaan :oops: athaan UK guys might shed some light'nu post paninen...

Shy

coolian
01-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Some info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Sunderland

vasan_torrent
01-07-2006, 11:40 PM
What is the field of study, Shy?

I don't know if there is any ranking stuff for US universities. Even if it exists, it depends on the field of study. It might help if you could let us know. Might be an ok school for undergrad. More research work is done (in mechanical engg, and math) at University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Haven't heard any research work from Sunderland - which makes sense considering they don't have a pg program in Sunderland. :)

If its engg, and if its post grad.. furgheddoutit.. :D

Vasan

Shy
01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks pa

Shy

Bluelotus
01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
I don't know anyone who attends that uni, so can't tell you much about it.

Cost of living away from london in student halls would average around £70-£90 a week.
About food, my mother would say about £20 a week without counting eating out, but if you can live even less frivolously then am sure you can cut that down too.

Contact the accomodation office for places to stay if you can't get student halls, they always have a list of rooms or houses to rent.

Contact the uni and the it's student union.

good luck.

blue.

Shy
01-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks sweetlotus...

Yeah univ contact pani irukaan.. Also ippo USAla ellam every city has this students group mathiri from our place.. antha mathiri info iruntha please sollu :D..

Shy

Bluelotus
01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
when you call up the student union ask them if they have sri lankan or indian student societies at Sunderland, if they have then you can email them...

krishng
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
yaarumey good comments sollalaiya??? Shy yaarachum ungalukku therinchavanga join seyyaraanganna, ask them to think twice before making decisions..

cheers.

katteri
01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Shy,

Ippadi mottaiya sonna eppadi:

Pls give more details on

The course:

UG/PG/

Department

Overall ranking is quite different from course and departmental rankings

For more info:
InterStudent.co.uk > Academic Advice

www.interstudent.co.uk/channel_advice.php

education.guardian.co.uk/ universityguide/0,10085,488282,00.html

The Times Good University Guide - Times OnlineOxford takes the prize as the UK's best - but the second-place university ... It features our unique university league tables and even more advice on how to ...
www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

Shy
01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
BE indiala mudichu irukaan.. CSE.. group. he going to do MSc Internet Engineering. I asked yen Msc solraananu. angae ellam USA mathiri illai Master of Science MSc thaan solvaanga sonaan. athu entha department theriyalaiyae katteri.. next time when they phone me, will ask that.

:ee: manichudungo.. i thought university sonaalae therinchudumnu :00:

thanks sweetlotus.. will ask him to do that...

Shy

katteri
01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
aLTERNATIVELY ASK HIM TO CHECK gRADSCHOOLS.COM
+
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/ukinfo/faq.html

UK offers master degree as MSc rather than MS or ME

Univ of Sunderland is not a top univ.

I wud suggest to look at some middle ranking uni, if he is not confident of getting into TOP unis

Leeds
Loughbourough
Hull#

The best search page is UCAS.ac.uk or ucas.com

http://www.ukeas.com/postgrad/gradschools/rankings.htm

Priyam2004
01-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Shy akka.....

In regard to Sunderland University...err...it's not very good for Engineering!! :Ksp: What abt Imperial College...that's pretty good.

The cost of living will be the same as per all over the UK (Blues has already stated that). Accomodation shouldn't be much of a problem...and compared to London the rent will be much cheaper, for more info this link maybe useful: http://my.sunderland.ac.uk/international/living-and-studying-here/accommodation-at-sunderland

Regarding: Student Unions & further help, pls refer to this link: http://my.sunderland.ac.uk/international/pre-arrival

To my knowledge, Cambridge, York and Bristol are good Uni's for Engineering subjects.

Hope this helps!! :sm08:

Shy
01-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks a lot priyam :sm08: :sm08: :oops: kandeepa solren avanga kita... also thanks on the info abt accomodation and all :)

Captain, I have sent the links to him.. romba romba thanks :)

Shy

krishng
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Imperial comes in the top list of univetsites rt?

cheers.

Shy
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
update guys...

DERBY university kedaichu irukku and he tried and got visa. Leaving this weekend...

His university had said that birmingham is the nearest international airport'nu. he tired but didnt get it, so hes going thru heathrow and from there planning to take a train?

Is that a good option for a new person landing there for the first time? Also from airport train station how far and which train to take etc.. appadi information konjam sollungo.. also vera yetha option irunthaalum sollungo. please

its kinda urgent :oops: :oops:

Thanks much people :sm08:

Shy

katteri
01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
WWW.NATIONALRAIL.CO.UK
>>>> FOR TRAIN

WWW.NATIONALEXPRESS.COM

>> FOR BUS

i THINK MOST OF THE TRAIN TOWARDS MANCHESTER WILL GO VIA DERBY ANYWAY CHECK THE SITE, U CAN BOOK A ETICKET, TAKE A PRINTOUT..KEEP THE CREDIT CARD USED....

Shy
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
thanks katteri...

site check panren.. is it easy to go from airport to train???

Shy

katteri
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
thanks katteri...

site check panren.. is it easy to go from airport to train???

Shy

There are lot of bus services available....i am not sure abt train(Check with blue lotuse)

Shy
01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
thanks katteri.

bus konjam kashtam illai.. suitcases ellam thookindu :oops:

Shy

katteri
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
THere are direct bus services from heathrow airport to derby, ask him to leave around 1 or 1.5 hours after arrival

There are plenty of spaces, of course there will be a restriction in the luggage. refer terms in national express.com
it is not a hard and fast rule...

I wud go by bus ...as it is cheaper and as he is new he will not have any trouble in reaching the destination

now there is a offer...go anywhere in UK for a single journey for £9

coolian
01-25-2006, 07:24 PM
go anywhere in UK for a single journey for £9
:00: Che ippadi oru offer yEn US'la varamaatEngarthu...

krishng
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I heard about Derby uni. definitely its much better than sunderland. so his decision is good i guess.

all the best to him..

cheers.

Shy
01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
thanks krish :)

shy