PDA

View Full Version : honour?

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 02:05 AM
How do you define honour and being honourable?

san2003
01-20-2006, 02:48 AM
do u want us to answer that bluey????

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 02:53 AM
yes please :D

your own individual definition, as in what those words mean to you :D

thanks

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 04:38 PM
we need to study law blue then all people with say in the court, you honour :sm12:

lasik
01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
the literal meanings for honour are high respect, reputation, high position, its a title for achievement.
being honourable has the same meaning as honour. if we get higher positions say as CM :ahha: or PM :wink: and including all the higher positions.
being honourable in our life basically comes from our good characters. If we are really good hearted,helping and humble then we'll be honourable to all.
i've answered the ques very seriously it seems.
sri_gan u dont need to study law, if u go as a chief guest for any functions, u'll be called
"our honourable chief guest"

with luv
lasik

vasan
01-20-2006, 06:39 PM
sorry for intruding in women's talk.. :sm03: :sm03:

its honor, and honorable.. :ee:

v- :wink:

lasik
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
vasan did u mean to say the spelling should be honor not honour?

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Lasik no he's making fun of the british spelling of the word :wink:

So is honour intermingled with power and position? :think:
let me ask you lasik, are you an honourable person?
interesting though....
what about when someone says a man or woman of honour... :think:

and sri :wink: if you become an MP or the same as Lasik mentioned they still have to address you as "the honourable sri_gan" :ee:

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
sri_gan u dont need to study law, if u go as a chief guest for any functions, u'll be called
"our honourable chief guest"

i've been to some functions as chief guest anna enna appadi kuppudaliye.... so i thought if you study law they have to call for sure la... (asae dosae appulum vadae)

lasik
01-20-2006, 07:34 PM
i didnt say hono"u"r ( :lol: vasankku oru "u" free) is only to power and positions, thats why i also said
being honourable in our life basically comes from our good characters. If we are really good hearted,helping and humble then we'll be honourable to all. " so, now u know obviously that i'm an hono"u"rable person :ahha: :ahha:

with luv
lasik

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 07:59 PM
does the meaning of honour changes from country to country nation to nation culture to culture? or is basically the same?

so does the defnition of honourable and hence honour relies on being helpful, humble and of good heart?

what about honesty? and trust?

neenga sonna mattum pothumaaa? illai oorum sollavendummaa? :ahha:

blue.

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 08:07 PM
i didnt say hono"u"r ( Laughing vasankku oru "u" free) is only to power and positions, thats why i also said
being honourable in our life basically comes from our good characters. If we are really good hearted,helping and humble then we'll be honourable to all. "

lasik anne... ithellam kekurathukku nalla than irrukku....

Ippa oru chinna example parungalen...

Namma veetula oru kosu varuthu... athai namakku vendiya kuzhathaiya kadikuthu nu vachuppom namma kosuva adichu thooki pottirum..... Athe pola namma manasula enna oru kuzhathaikku noi varama kapathitom namma nallavaru, vallavaru, romba efficeient annnavaru nu thoonum....

anna reality le Intha nature oda oru sothai adi nasukki nasam panni azhichutinga...

Appo nenga sonna "hearted,helping and humble" ungallukku ethirppa amaiyum...

athe base panni honourable kodutha enn neriya minister frauda thiririyaranga... so the

What every you are saying as the hono "U" r is not given by what you are saying, athu oru positionanukaga kodukuranga... athe pola... blues, atleast i think honesty has nothing to do with honours ...

kalla katta arambichuten pathingala... lasik anne pathil chollunga...

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 08:13 PM
but what about the expression "I give you my word of honour" ?
doesn't it imply that trust and honesty shoudl be linked?

so you think it is just about position...and if I wish to be honourable I shoudl a) become and MP or b) become a judge? :ee:

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 08:19 PM
but what about the expression "I give you my word of honour" ?

Yeah blues every one can give the word of honours, but how many of them really keep their words is about honours illaya...

So if two strangers meet and they exchange this words, it more like an arbitary thought that they can begin trusting each other, but none of thes two know about the others anything.

illaya?

lasik
01-20-2006, 08:24 PM
blueouts yes u can add honesty and trust in this. naan honourable nu sonnathu, mathavanga sonnatha thaan sonnen. :wink: ( believe it :D en mela sathiyamaa solren :wink: )

sri_gan anna, ennai lasik thangachine koopidalam. barbie girl
ongaloda kosu kathai puriuthu but
"anna reality le Intha nature oda oru sothai adi nasukki nasam panni azhichutinga"
i dont get what u mean in this sentence sorry, so can u clear this?:Ksp:

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Seri lasik thangam (Golden sister nu artham),

What i'm trying to say is For the benefit of child In reality we are killing(nasukki) the mosquito which is considered to be a part of nature....

lasik
01-20-2006, 10:00 PM
ok now i got ur point.
its about that mosqie's vithi (fate). now i remember a story (naanum kathai solla poren :ahha: )
A saint was teaching his students about existance of god. he told everything u see in world is god. intha point antha student mindla aalamaa pathinchu pochu. another day, he was walking on a road. he saw an elephant coming fast towards him. everybody around started shouting at him to run away from that place or to attack the elephant (impossible though :D ).
he didn't move from that place he was standing there thinking elephant is also a god, so i shudnt attack or i can't disobey him. but at last that elephant killed him. that saint, on hearing this, told his other students that when elephant approached him he thought that only elephant is god and shud respect him but why didn't he hear to other people shouting bcoz as per i said they r also god.
so, moral of the story is u shud use ur presence of mind and act accordingly.
mosquie a nasukki kolrathu thappae kidayaathu andha situationla moreover its all about fate. antha nerathula vandhu u shudnt talk like u wont kill any living being. appadi paartha
namma ethuvme panna mudiyaathu even nadakka kooda mudiyaahtu bcoz some invisible
micro organisms may be killed by us.

athanaala, what i meant was u shud be humble, good hearted and smart enough to get a honorable position.

with luv
lasik

sri_gan
01-20-2006, 10:19 PM
so, moral of the story is u shud use ur presence of mind and act accordingly.
mosquie a nasukki kolrathu thappae kidayaathu andha situationla moreover its all about fate. antha nerathula vandhu u shudnt talk like u wont kill any living being. appadi paartha
namma ethuvme panna mudiyaathu even nadakka kooda mudiyaahtu bcoz some invisible
micro organisms may be killed by us.

athanaala, what i meant was u shud be humble, good hearted and smart enough to get a honorable position.

lasik thangam,

Honour kku Smartness thevai illai... unga kathai vache naanum oru moral solluren... Guru bakthi naala antha student yaaniyum kadavul nu namburan which proves he took what his teacher teached him, anga antha payanum smarta thapichu irruntha there is no story today... avan thapikatha naala than we have story illaya?

So if there is smartness, you cannot foresee the honour itself.... so nenga sonna kathaiya ungalukku moral cholluthu appuram unga ishtam pa... :D

Idiot
01-20-2006, 10:22 PM
appadiyae plate thiruppi vitudeengalae sri..

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 10:35 PM
okie, we've been worrying about individual honour, what about family honour? what does that mean? define it for me please :D

lasik
01-20-2006, 10:44 PM
enna ippadi cholliteenga sri_gan,
of course honorkku smartness venum. andha kathai implies that if ur not smart enough to act in situation, thats it, gone.
actually, u can classify honorable persons into 2 categories.
one who get honor for their smartness i mean, a person can be well educated but he shud know how to apply in real life there comes the smartness.
another kind is one who is really good hearted and generous say like saints. we respect them as honoroble persons.
for example, see jayalalitha if she is not smart enough to tackle the political life, she wudnt be a CM now.

:think: ennappa ithu intha topic aarmbichathu bluelotus, namma rendu periyaum discuss panna vitutu poitaaru. :Ksp: hey yaaraavathu supportkku vaangappaa, naan puthusu. sri_gan adikka varaaru :cry: :cry:

Bluelotus
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Sri adika mataar don't worry Lasik :wink:
neenga carry on

but do tell me what you think about family honour :D

Shy
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Honor :think:

First dictionaryla enna solraanga paarpoom...

1) High respect, as that shown for special merit; esteem: the honor shown to a Nobel laureate.

2) Good name; reputation. A source or cause of credit: was an honor to the profession.

3) Glory or recognition; distinction. A mark, token, or gesture of respect or distinction: the place of honor at the table. A military decoration. A title conferred for achievement. High rank. The dignity accorded to position: awed by the honor of his office. Great privilege: I have the honor to present the governor.

4) Honor Used with His, Her, or Your as a title and form of address for certain officials, such as judges and mayors: Her Honor the Mayor. Principled uprightness of character; personal integrity. A code of integrity, dignity, and pride, chiefly among men, that was maintained in some societies, as in feudal Europe, by force of arms. A woman's chastity or reputation for chastity.

5) honors Social courtesies offered to guests: did the honors at tea.

6) Special recognition for unusual academic achievement: graduated with honors. A program of individual advanced study for exceptional students: planned to take honors in history.

Sweetlotus.. ippo purinchutha?

Honesty, trust ellam link panrathooda.. The more appropriate would be respect. ... I think :D

Shy

lasik
01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
thanx bluelotus.

family honor depends on every individual's honor in that family. what do u think sri_gan? :think: :ahha:

Shy
01-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Side Track -. nice avatar lasik.. I dont like cats, me dog lover.. but this one is cute :b: BTW, welcome to Geetham, hope you have a great time here :D

Shy

lasik
01-20-2006, 11:50 PM
oh thanx shy. :P me a cat lover. but i like dogs too. naan oru cat valarthaen in my childhood like this in my avatar. but later my parents didnt let me to take it to our new house. so i left it in our old house. but still that cat is in my memories.

sorry for side track.

so, coming to the topic, with shy's explanation, yes as per literal meaning honor is nothing to do with honesty and trust. but as i said there r two classes.
one who get honor for their smartness i mean, a person can be well educated but he shud know how to apply in real life there comes the smartness.
another kind is one who is really good hearted and generous say like saints. we respect them as honoroble persons.
in the 2nd class of honor honesty and trust includes.

with luv
lasik

sri_gan
01-21-2006, 01:34 AM
thanx bluelotus.

family honor depends on every individual's honor in that family. what do u think sri_gan?

lasik thangam,

50% ok 50% not ok. for example oru chief minister irrukanganu vachukuvom avanga honour is not implied for the family.

Theorem mari solluren:

A family honour can be only possible if and only if each and every one in the family maintains their our honour which will eventually honour the whole family.

Appdinu naan ninaikiren, lasik nalla pesurenga keep this going, naan adikka ellam matten neriya argue pannuven avlothan.

lasik
01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I second it sri_gan. :yes: :yes: thats true. if u see any of the popular guys in any field (cinema, political,business)
even if they r popular and people consider him/her honorable, if their children are not good enough to maintain that then thats all, the whole respect to that family goes down.

example: ambani family-reliance