PDA

View Full Version : tradition outside india

lasik
01-30-2006, 08:43 PM
hai ladies,
how r u all?

After reading the thread on tamil culture in debate sec, I had a thought about following our tamil tradition outside india. bcoz I see lot of people living outside india say either U.S, canada or euope cudnt follow their way of dressing same as india. may be thats true, for ladies
they can't wear saree daily in this cold climate. but other than that............
say,
some ques to women living in U.S, Europe,canada and other countries other than india

1) do u keep bindhi (pottu) at ur house and when u go out.
2) do u wear our traditional dress like chudi and sarees atleast on festive days.
3) do u light up diya daily in the morning
and etc, etc..

may be for girls who are born and brought here are diff. and they don't even know about this.

but how about ladies come here either for work, studies or after marriage?

I dont mean the discussion in debating way, jus pour out ur ideas and experience thats all i want.

Idiot
01-30-2006, 08:48 PM
ithukku nanga ellam enga padhil sollalama.. illa only ladies mattum thaan allowedaaaaaaa
:ahha:

lasik
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
ofcourse u can, if u have any idea. but unmaiya sollanum. :D

lasik

emyesbee
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
but unmaiya sollanum. Very Happy

IIG ungala pathi evlo nalla abiprayam vachurukaangoo :) lasik :)

1) do u keep bindhi (pottu) at ur house and when u go out.
2) do u wear our traditional dress like chudi and sarees atleast on festive days.
3) do u light up diya daily in the morning
and etc, etc..

lasik regarding these question I can answer on behalf of my wife I think she is asusual busy (nanthan vetti payan)

she always keeps bindhi :)

Yes she wears only traditional cloths on fest days and for temples :)

Yes she lights up daily :)

I think ethulam namma udamboda pinni pinanchathu so maathurathu romba kastam and I also do not see why we have to change. ofcourse we can not wear saree all the time in this temp and its also teoo difiicult; otherthan that if it can be followed here too why we should not follow. :) may be ladies can pour in more thoughts on this

Minnie
01-30-2006, 09:20 PM
how come yentha ladies talk vanthalum,guys come first :think: :think:

lasik ----

i do keep bindhi,depending upon the place where i go,,for ex --- if i go to temple/indian fest/gatheration i do keep bindhi..
yes i do wear chudi on all indian fest days and gatheration..
and a big YES to light,in my house both day and evening,infact early morning 1 hr gayathri mantra followed by kanda shasthi....

goodcomplanboy
01-30-2006, 09:24 PM
and a big YES to light,in my house both day and evening,infact early morning 1 hr gayathri mantra followed by kanda shasthi....

you do all these micky :00: awesome... I thought you the other way

sri_gan
01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
you do all these micky Shocked awesome... I thought you the other way

micky yaarukku thangachi enna pesikittu .... enna micky :yes:

Minnie
01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
sri bhaiya :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
GCB why shocked :( ,btw what you thought the other way :think: :think: :think:

goodcomplanboy
01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
micky yaarukku thangachi enna pesikittu .... enna micky

யாருக்கு?

sri_gan
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
micky yaarukku thangachi enna pesikittu .... enna micky

யாருக்கு?

enna kelvi ithu????????

GCB, nenga mothala ketta kelviye periyaaaaaa thappu... ippo aduthu oru periya thappu seiya paakurengale.... ippadi kelviya kettu.... anyway already thatha kannula velakkennaiya oothikittu side trackaa check pannikittu varararu.... naan ithoda niruthikiren... aanalum GCB nenga ippadi kettu irruka koodathu.... :snooty:

goodcomplanboy
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
GCB nenga ippadi kettu irruka koodathu....

வேற எப்படி கேக்கனும் :think:

GCB why shocked ,btw what you thought the other way

nothing that you should feel bad about micky. The other day when we were chatting, I thought you have completely transitioned to culture over here (not the American one but the Desi-American one). Thats why I was little surprised. Especially the Gayathri Mantram and Kantha Shashti Kavasam.

Good job, keep it up :b:

sri_gan
01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
வேற எப்படி கேக்கனும

வெத்திலை பாக்கு வச்சு சாமி கும்பிட்டு ஒரு குட்டி கர்ணம் போட்டு கேக்கனும்... விட்டா விவேக் மாறி சொல்லிகிட் டே போவேன்... ஆனா பதில் மட்டும் சொல்லமாட்ட ேன்.

:sm12: :sm12:

Minnie
01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
all credits to my one and only lovable parents :D

goodcomplanboy
01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
ஆனா பதில் மட்டும் சொல்லமாட்ட ேன்.

ஏன் சொல்ல மாட்டீங்க???

Minnie
01-30-2006, 09:52 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,why this confusion here.. :oops: . GCB athaan sri BHAIYA sollamattean sollitangala,veetudunga :ahha:

sri_gan
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
ஏன் சொல்ல மாட்டீங்க???

Because GCB,

Like Jack Nicholson says....

Because, You cannot handle the truth... :oops:

Idiot
01-30-2006, 10:09 PM
sri romba nonthu poi irukeenga pola irukku.. cheer up. . :b:

sri_gan
01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
sri romba nonthu poi irukeenga pola irukku.. cheer up. . :b:

:sm12: .... ada summa kappsaa...

chinglees
01-30-2006, 11:13 PM
intha 3'um kandipaa pannuven... :D

Idiot
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
romba shortaaaaaaaa sollureena chinglees ..

konjam vevarama sonna naangalum ketu santhosha paduvoom..

ps: good morning .

Shy
01-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Good question...

Lotsa stuf has to be changed when you leave your home country.

Yes I try to keep bindhis all the time. But on some occasions like in meeting the client, I try to keep small black one, so that it doesnt look odd with my business wear....

Traditional dress yes, temples, occasions and festivals potupen, summerla mostly outing porache i wear it.

diyas yes try to do it every other day... evening seekarum vantha seiven...

As sakthi said.. its in our blood, may be 1 hour ennala poojai seiya mudiyaama irukalaam.. but we try to do whatever we can... so follow pana mudiyaama irukaathu.. slight changes ooda still u could do it..

Shy

Sruti
01-31-2006, 01:34 AM
sakthiye pathi sollitaru....to add up to tht..i will keep bindi bt its not like indian one....i tried to put some designs with eye liner as bindi thts it....and on going to temples or festival i will have kumkum... i will wear salwar or saree for a festival or temple..but to work some times i use mis and match like a wear a jeans and i have a salwar top like that....pooja....mostly whenever i have time i do...bt most of all everything is in our mind and in our heart...it is not a rule tht we have to follow or why shdnt be follwed it all depends on the indiv

lasik
01-31-2006, 01:42 AM
ooohhh! :Ksp: :Ksp: ithana posta? that too mainly men?

I think ethulam namma udamboda pinni pinanchathu so maathurathu romba kastam and I also do not see why we have to change. ofcourse we can not wear saree all the time in this temp and its also teoo difiicult; otherthan that if it can be followed here too why we should not follow. may be ladies can pour in more thoughts on this

MSB thats 100% true. i agree. :b:

I usually keep bindhi but not a big one jus a small one which suits to my dress. initially my collegues(white people) used to ask me about this and i used to explain them the importance of bindhi.
but the sad thing is some of my indian collegues, they used to tease me initially for this.
but i gave a big lecture. then they accepted and stopped teasing me. i felt really bad. i didnt force them to keep bindhi but atlest they shudnt tease.
actually, I feel something missing in my face if i dont have bindhi.

shy thats good. :b: :b: I too do the same. but diyas i light up both morning and evening and meditate for sometime. i dont know any pooja or mantras but sitting before god gives me peaceful mind for that day.

lasik

emyesbee
01-31-2006, 02:11 AM
sitting before god gives me peaceful mind for that day

that is more important than just plainly saying mantras without understanding what we are saying and not having a feel for it :) enna sollureengo lasik ?

lasik
01-31-2006, 02:19 AM
yeah true, :yes:
as sakthi said, its all depends on individual. some may like to do pooja or some may do bhajans.

there are different ways to approach god, for me, i feel meditation is the best way.

lasik

ns80
01-31-2006, 02:20 AM
I think ethulam namma udamboda pinni pinanchathu so maathurathu romba kastam

I differ a bit, mostly I've seen these traditions being followed in family setup like staying with parents or married people. Its not just with girls, its with guys too. As bachelors or bachelorettes I haven't found many that way. I dont mean to say its wrong or we'd have to strictly follow the traditions, but it simply does'nt happen that way (atleast ones I've seen).

coolian
01-31-2006, 04:44 AM
but the sad thing is some of my indian collegues, they used to tease me initially for this.
but i gave a big lecture. then they accepted and stopped teasing me. i felt really bad. i didnt force them to keep bindhi but atlest they shudnt tease.
Very true. Indians are our worst enemies. I sometimes wear vibhuthi or naamam to work (and I used to wear it almost everyday at uni), and while the non-desi fellas were understandably curious, a few Indian people - initially, at least - had the audacity to come up to me and ask me why I'm trying to "force" my beliefs on the outside world. I sure showed them, but that's not the point. Indians often seem embarrassed at their kind. It's pretty sad to see that foreigners seem to be more accepting than our own people!

But to each his own.

sri_gan
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Coolian,

True what you are saying, usually I'm of nature if i decided to do I will do and least bother about what others say and especially fellow indians who has no clue of why we do such sort.

If some one comes to me and asks me why am I trying to force others, I think he is going to have a bad day with me and he will never forget that instance forever.

But I had some instances a when I have kugumam in my nethi (forehead thane) some of foreigners will look at it and asked me more than once is it blood *with a serious look*? usually the kugumam from Madurai temple is closer to the color of blood, I realized that later and stopped wearing that since then, but never neglected to do so when I go to temples or in weekends.

Daily pattai potturuven :D.

So finally it depends on the individual.

katteri
01-31-2006, 05:03 PM
pattai potturuven
Vertical or horizontal or ullevaaa

emyesbee
01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Quote:
pattai potturuven

Katz appadiyae yaaruknutu kellungoo :) :ee:

goodcomplanboy
01-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Because GCB,

Like Jack Nicholson says....

Because, You cannot handle the truth...

why did Jack Nicholson say that?

Why cant I handle the truth?

anitam
01-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes, I do follow these things.

I don't want to giveup these traditions. Atleast my kids can learn from me.

ns80
02-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Sidey -->

why did Jack Nicholson say that?

He would say this when Tom Cruise asks why he ordered the 'Code Red' in 'Few Good Men'

sri_gan
02-01-2006, 08:44 PM

pattai will be always horizontal katzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ananyarajesh
02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
ya i wear bindi of course not everyday...... and also wear saris and salwars when i go out for a gathering... and diya -everyday....... but i dont think all these really matters aslong as v think indian....... i mean the indian way......but yes i do all these for my daughter to know atleast there r such things.......

sri_gan
02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes, I do follow these things.

I don't want to giveup these traditions. Atleast my kids can learn from me.

yeah we could see that from you avatar... jus kiddin

seny
02-03-2006, 09:51 AM
orula iruntha varaikum kuda kovil pakam poga mataen but india vittu vanthathula irunthu atleast daily morning sami kumbida arambichitaen... and most important, inga irukura kovila friday kovil prasatham :sm11: so kovilkum apadiyae visit vida arambichitaen...

------
Seny

raghu
02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
yes i wear bindhi when i wear Indian dress, and diya every day in the morning and evening, and some slokams,and madisaree for few functions like karthigai and karadaiyan nombu...we try as much as possible to follow these so our kids will know abt our traditions...

lasik
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
thats great raghu? (is this ur name :? )

madisaree is u mean its madisar saree?

lasik

valluvan
02-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Good pratice all who are outside of their native. Very apt for discussion if the title is changed to "Tradition outside of your Native". :b:

most important, inga irukura kovila friday kovil prasatham so kovilkum apadiyae visit vida arambichitaen...

:00: ada raamaa :00:
:ee: Join the elite group. :yes: :ee:

seny
02-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Valluvan, arusuvai unnavu daily inga kidaikathu... :D

------
Seny

sri_gan
02-05-2006, 12:44 PM
inga irukura kovila friday kovil prasatham :sm11: so kovilkum apadiyae visit vida arambichitaen...

seny, romba theliva irrukenga...

Priyam2004
02-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Ennakku onnu therincha aaganum.....pottu (bhindi) vacha than namma culture'ae respect pannarathu nu arthamaa?? :Ksp: How does the combi 'Jeans, jadai & bhindi' work? :think:(Naa theriyama than kekaren, thappa ketturuntha manichukungo :pray:)

valluvan
02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Valluvan, arusuvai unnavu daily inga kidaikathu... :D

------
Seny

Seny..... join the elite group-nnu sonnene, paarkkalaiyaa? Inga namma paadum appadi thaan. :P

Priyam...V- vandhu ongalukku correct answer solluvaar. :D

sri_gan
02-05-2006, 06:53 PM
V- vandhu ongalukku correct answer solluvaar

:sm12: :sm12: seriya sonninga ponga vera yaaravathu vaya thorantha visheyam pootha garamaiyrum

Priyam2004
02-05-2006, 09:51 PM
:sm12: :sm12: Athane parthen... :D Naa ketta kelvi'ku ungalakku bathil solla theriyalai, athe appadi sollamae ippadi policy'a solluringa....irukattum, irukattum :P

valluvan
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
V- vandhu ongalukku correct answer solluvaar

:sm12: :sm12: seriya sonninga ponga vera yaaravathu vaya thorantha visheyam pootha garamaiyrum

I remember that Vasan has answered for this question some time ago in a thread. I couldn't find the thread.

Sri, yes please and go ahead answering Priyam's question. :P :D :b:

(Corner seat booked with ground nut, biscuts and coffee :ahha: :ee: )

suha
02-06-2006, 12:40 PM
no priyam sisy....bindhi vacha thaan tamil culture respect panradhu artham ilaa....adhukullaam manau thaan karnaam.... :ee:

i dont no much about india....and my childhood is diffrent too... how me grown...how me learn ennakei terilaa....but me follow my culture illaiya apdi thaan :ee: and me learn myself :?

me praying 5 time namaz daily :P only one me not following wearing hijaab :ee: adhu matum ennaku irritate aguddhu :Ksp:when me goign to mosque and namaz time mattum wearing :ahha:

apddi thaan me thinking about all culture :think:

sri_gan
02-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I remember that Vasan has answered for this question some time ago in a thread. I couldn't find the thread.

Sri, yes please and go ahead answering Priyam's question.

(Corner seat booked with ground nut, biscuts and coffee Ahha EE )

vallu... naan oru thadava seyura thappa thirumba seyurathu illa... :sm12: nenga enna kettalum naan reply pannamatten.... ithukku answer solla koodiya ore aal thatha vasan than varattum vanthu sollatum.....

vallu unga pakthula naan ukanthu irrukken

vijitha
02-06-2006, 06:34 PM
hmm wearing pottu is tamil culture ???? or is it part of Hinduism???

butterfly
02-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Kunkumam is more of a Hindu Culture Viji....but Pottu i think everyone wears

Lasik,
As far as carrying Tradition...its wat u believe in.....we do have family prayers everyday...coz thats how both of us were brought up.....& we enjoy praying together....I do wear indian costume for all Indian occasions & for our Office Christmas party....actually got many of them to wear our chudithar :)....pottu i do wear when wearing indian costumes :)

Y is valluvar & sri booking corner seats :think:

valluvan
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
We have more discussion threads in Geetham. I could find only few. :oops:

http://www.geetham.net/forums/topic,18957,35,-tamil-culture.html

http://www.geetham.net/forums/htopic,13361,jeans.html

Pattams... enakku maaRu kaN..... corner seat-la utkaarndhaa dhaan movie neeraa theriyum. :ahha: :ee: We have already discussed on this and I don't have any thoughts to share with as of now-nnu solla vandheen.

aaamaa..... Why Sri booking corner seat??? adhu thaaneeee...... :ahha: nalla kelunga..... Corner seat only for me. :wink: :P

Priyam2004
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
[Side-track, sorry :pray:]

Hello...neengalaam ethukku seats book pannaringa nu theriya'illai....inga show onnum nadaka porathu illai :sm12: Appadi nadantha, naan than 1st row'le front seat - reserved!! :P

valluvan
02-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Hello...neengalaam ethukku seats book pannaringa nu theriya'illai....inga show onnum nadaka porathu illai :sm12: Appadi nadantha, naan than 1st row'le front seat - reserved!! :P

yeap yeap....chinna kuzhandhaikalai ellam naanga first row-la thaan utkaara vaikkuradhu. :ahha: (onga avatar paarungo) :ee: (j/k Priyam) :P

butterfly
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
yaaru adhu side track podarthu :evil: :cool:

valluvare,
it doesnt matter how many times we discuss... some ideas do spring up with every post :)

lasik
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
priyam, keeping bindhi is not a tamil culture or tradition or something like that.
every religion has its own tradition. sorry for bringing this topic in common(shud change the topic) .
bcoz christians or muslims dont keep bindhi. they've diff beliefs.
but here i'm talking about hinduism. most of the hindus are brought up this way like what i asked in ques.
now, I dont mean to say like u've to keep bindhi and light diyas and other stuffs but
the point is say, I am brought up in a family where these things are more important and i've followed these from my childhood. so ques is here in US, being diff culture, for these white people, our tradition looks to be odd. so what some of our people do is in order to mingle with these white ppl well or to show off like they r also westernised, they ignore our main tradition what they were following for years.
thats where the problem comes. why do u want to change urself for ppl who dont know the importance of these things and why cant u follow these as u did in ur native place.
This is what i wanted to ask. I didnt say like u r a true indian or tamil ponnu only if u keep bindhi or light diyas.

lasik

valluvan
02-06-2006, 10:19 PM
yaaru adhu side track podarthu :evil: :cool:

valluvare,
it doesnt matter how many times we discuss... some ideas do spring up with every post :)

yeap Pattams, perceptions tend to change time to time. Konjam yosikkanum. Will take it up later. :P :D

P.S:

Sorry for the side tracks. :b:

vijitha
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I had a thought about following our tamil tradition outside india.

priyam, keeping bindhi is not a tamil culture or tradition or something like that.

:think: :Ksp:

coolian
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
so what some of our people do is in order to mingle with these white ppl well or to show off like they r also westernised, they ignore our main tradition what they were following for years.
This is the biggest problem I see among Indians here in the US. The ABCDs and the FOBs.

lasik
02-06-2006, 10:27 PM
viji :? i asked sorry for this :(

every religion has its own tradition. sorry for bringing this topic in common(shud change the topic) .

lasik

vijitha
02-06-2006, 10:37 PM
lasik... :oops:

sofiadorathy
02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Ksp:when me goign to mosque and namaz time mattum wearing :ahha:

intha dress vishayathule culture irukku-nu nee namburiya

theva illaaama manasa pottu kolappikkaaama

Be Happy...

sri_gan
02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
soap dabaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa welcome to Geetham forums once again....

irriki dress visheyathula culture irriki

chinglees
02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Ksp:when me goign to mosque and namaz time mattum wearing :ahha:

Be Happy...

sofiaa...Kadavulku mariyaathai kudukalaamla... :D
Koil'a girls jeans pant Shirt etc etc vandaaka enaku ennamo pannum :oops: :evil:

suha
02-08-2006, 07:04 AM

Be Happy...

aama, pinna?

me belived in dress culture :oops:

ns80
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM

why not ? we do dress depending on the occasions right :think: namba interview irundha shorts'a pottutu porom :ahha: adhu madiri dhaan idhuvum.
~~~~~~~
Temples in Kerala follow this dress code pretty strictly

nithia
02-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Hஇ பெஒப்லெ, ஈ fஇன்ட் திச் டிச்cஉச்சி ன் வெர்ய் இன்டெரெச்ட ிங்.
“Fஒல்லொநிங தெ ஈன்டிஅன் ட்ரடிடிஒன் ஒஉட்சிடெ ஈன்டிஅ.”

Wஎல்ல் fஇர்ச்ட் ஒf அல்ல் ஈ'ம் அ Mஅலய்சிஅன் ஈன்டிஅன் புட் ப்ரொஉக்க்ட ் உப் இன் Pஅபுஅ ணெந் Gஉஇனெஅ அன்ட் ஆஉச்ட்ரலிஅ . Bஎஇங் இன் தெசெ ட்நொ cஒஉன்ட்ரிஎ ், நெ கவெ அல்நய்ச் பேன் ப்ரொஉக்க்ட ் உப் ப்ய் ப்ரயிங் (டொ ந்கொமெவெர் நெ பெலிஎவெ), cஎலெப்ரடிங தெ fஎச்டிவல்ச , நெஅரிங் ஒஉர் ட்ரடிடிஒனல ் cஒச்டுமெச் அன்ட் யெச் நெ நெஅர் பொட்டுச் ( ப்கின்டிச் ). Tகெரெ அரெ மன்ய் ஈன்டிஅன்ச் இன் Pஅபுஅ ணெந் Gஉஇனெஅ ந்கொ நெஅர் தெ ட்ரடிடிஒனல ் சல்நர் கமிழ் புட் நொட் மன்ய் ஒf தெ சரி'ச். Tகட் ஈ டொடல்ல்ய் உன்டெர்ச்ட ன்ட் அச் தெ cலிமடெ இச் ஜுச்ட் டோ கொட். ஸமெ fஒர் ஆஉச்ட்ரலிஅ .

Hஒநெவெர் திச் நச் அபொஉட் 10 யெஅர்ச் ஒர் சொ அகொ. ணொந் பெஇங் இன் ஆஉச்ட்ரலிஅ , நெ கர்ட்ல்ய் நெஅர் சல்நர் கமிழ்....லெட அலொனெ அ சரி. ஸிம்ப்லெ ரெஅசொன், தெ cலிமடெ. Bஉட் நெ ச்டில்ல் fஇன்ட் தெ டிமெ....fஒர் எ௯அம்ப்லெ, ஒன் ம்ய் க்ரடுஅடிஒன ் டய், அம்ம நொரெ அ சரி அன்ட் ஈ கட் அ குர்டி...சமெ fஒர் ம்ய் சிச்டெர். ஓர் எவென் ந்கென் கொஇங் ஒஉட் fஒர் டின்னெர்ச் , நெ நெஅர் அ சல்நர் கமிழ் நித் ப்கின்டி.
Bஎஇங் இன் அ டிffஎரென்ட் cஒஉன்ட்ர்ய அன்ட் நொட் பெஇங் எ௯அcட்ல்ய் எ௯பொசெட் டொ ந்கட் எவெர்ய் ஈன்டிஅன் இச் இன் தெஇர் கொமெ cஒஉன்ட்ர்ய , திச் இச் தெ ஒன்ல்ய் நய் ஒf ஷொநிங் நெ ச்டில்ல் அரெ வலுஇங் ஒஉர் cஉல்டுரெ அன்ட் ட்ரடிடிஒன் ச். ஈ’ம் நொட் சயிங் தட் ப்ய் நெஅரிங் ஒஉர் cஒச்டுமெச், நெ அரெ ட்ரடிடிஒனல ் அன்ட் fஒல்லொந் அல்ல் cஉச்டொம்ச். Pஎஒப்லெ ந்கொ டொன்’ட் நெஅர் தெஇர் ட்ரடிடிஒன் cஒச்டுமெச் cஅன் அல்சொ பெ fஒல்லொநிங் தெ ட்ரடிடிஒன் . Bஉட் ஒனெ ஷொஉல்ட் நொட் பெ எம்பர்ரச்ச ெட். Wஎ ச்டில்ல் ப்ரய் அட் கொமெ, ச்டில்ல் லிச்டென் டொ ஈன்டிஅன் முசிc (ம்ய் டட்’ச் ரடிஒ சிஙிங் “Pஅலனி அப்ப” சொங், நொந் தட்’ச் க்ம்ம்ம்ம் ம்), ஈன்டிஅன் மொவிஎச்....ட ர்யிங் டொ கெட் டொ க்னொந் ஈன்டிஅன் fஅமிலிஎச் கெரெ.

ஆல்ல் இன் அல்ல்….நெ அரெ ட்ர்யிங் ஒஉர் பெச்ட் புட்…ந்க்ய ் அரெ ஈன்டிஅன்ச் fரொம் Mஅலய்சிஅ/ஈன்டிஅ/ஸிஙபொரெ/ஒர் ஒதெர்ச் ந்கொ cஒமெ ஒவெர்செஅச் டொ ச்டுட்ய், சஙெ இன் அ செc. Tகெய் அcட், நித் fஉல்ல் ஒன் அccஎன்ட்ச் அன்ட் தெஇர் ட்ரெச்சிங் ச்ட்ய்லெச் . Tகெ ப்ரெடென்ட் டொ நொட் க்னொந் தெஇர் cஉல்டுரெ. ஆன் எ௯அம்ப்லெ… ..னொட் க்னொநிங் யொஉர் மொதெர் டொஙுஎ. ஸெரிஒஉச்ல் ய் இf அன் ஈன்டிஅன் இச் பொர்ன் அன்ட் ப்ரொஉக்க்ட ் உப் இன் Mஅலய்சிஅ, தெய் ஷொஉல்ட் க்னொந் கொந் டொ ச்பெஅக் Tஅமில் அட் தெ லெஅச்ட், கொநெவெர் தெய் cலைம் டொ கவெ நொ இடெஅ அபொஉட் Tஅமில். Tகிச் சிcகென்ச் மெ. ஈf ஈ cஅன் ச்பெஅக் Tஅமில் அfடெர் ஜுச்ட் ச்பென்டிங் 4 யெஅர்ச் ஒf ம்ய் லிfஎ இன் Mஅலய்சிஅ, தென் ந்க்ய் cஅன்’ட் அ பெர்சொன் ந்கொ கச் ச்பென்ட் 20 யெஅர்ச் உனப்லெ டொ ச்பெஅக் தெஇர் ஒந்ன் மொதெர் டொஙுஎ

ஆன்ய் விஎந்ச் ஒன் திச்?

suha
02-18-2006, 05:42 AM
:Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

what language is this??

nithia
02-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi people, I find this discussion very interesting.
“Following the Indian tradition outside India.”

Well first of all I'm a Malaysian Indian but brought up in Papua New Guinea and Australia. Being in these two countries, we have always been brought up by praying (to whomever we believe), celebrating the festivals, wearing our traditional costumes and yes we wear pottus ( bhindis). There are many Indians in Papua New Guinea who wear the traditional salwar kamiz but not many of the sari's. That I totally understand as the climate is just too hot. Same for Australia.

However this was about 10 years or so ago. Now being in Australia, we hardly wear salwar kamiz....let alone a sari. Simple reason, the climate. But we still find the time....for example, on my graduation day, amma wore a sari and I had a kurti...same for my sister. Or even when going out for dinners, we wear a salwar kamiz with bhindi.
Being in a different country and not being exactly exposed to what every Indian is in their home country, this is the only way of showing we still are valuing our culture and traditions. I’m not saying that by wearing our costumes, we are traditional and follow all customs. People who don’t wear their tradition costumes can also be following the tradition. But one should not be embarrassed. We still pray at home, still listen to Indian music (my dad’s radio singing “Palani appa” song, now that’s hmmmmm), Indian movies....trying to get to know Indian families here.

All in all….we are trying our best but…why are Indians from Malaysia/India/Singapore/or others who come overseas to study, change in a sec. They act, with full on accents and their dressing styles. The pretend to not know their culture. An example…..not knowing your mother tongue. Seriously if an Indian is born and brought up in Malaysia, they should know how to speak Tamil at the least, however they claim to have no idea about Tamil. This sickens me. If I can speak Tamil after just spending 4 years of my life in Malaysia, then why can’t a person who has spent 20 years unable to speak their own mother tongue
Any views on this?

lasik
02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Being in a different country and not being exactly exposed to what every Indian is in their home country, this is the only way of showing we still are valuing our culture and traditions. I’m not saying that by wearing our costumes, we are traditional and follow all customs. People who don’t wear their tradition costumes can also be following the tradition. But one should not be embarrassed. We still pray at home, still listen to Indian music (my dad’s radio singing “Palani appa” song, now that’s hmmmmm), Indian movies....trying to get to know Indian families here.

All in all….we are trying our best but…why are Indians from Malaysia/India/Singapore/or others who come overseas to study, change in a sec. They act, with full on accents and their dressing styles. The pretend to not know their culture. An example…..not knowing your mother tongue. Seriously if an Indian is born and brought up in Malaysia, they should know how to speak Tamil at the least, however they claim to have no idea about Tamil. This sickens me. If I can speak Tamil after just spending 4 years of my life in Malaysia, then why can’t a person who has spent 20 years unable to speak their own mother tongue

well said nithia... :yes: welcome to geetham. :sm08:
I fully agree with ur point... :sm03:
this is what i mentioned in my previous post.

lasik

Minnie
02-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi people, I find this discussion very interesting.
“Following the Indian tradition outside India.”

Well first of all I'm a Malaysian Indian but brought up in Papua New Guinea and Australia. Being in these two countries, we have always been brought up by praying (to whomever we believe), celebrating the festivals, wearing our traditional costumes and yes we wear pottus ( bhindis). There are many Indians in Papua New Guinea who wear the traditional salwar kamiz but not many of the sari's. That I totally understand as the climate is just too hot. Same for Australia.

However this was about 10 years or so ago. Now being in Australia, we hardly wear salwar kamiz....let alone a sari. Simple reason, the climate. But we still find the time....for example, on my graduation day, amma wore a sari and I had a kurti...same for my sister. Or even when going out for dinners, we wear a salwar kamiz with bhindi.

Any views on this?

Could someone explain me this...

Just a doubt,nithi you mean to say that ppl in india ( everyone ) knew very well their mother tongue?????There are lot many ppl who can speak their mother tongue,but dont know to write/read or know much of mahabaratham....still arent they sticking to culture?
When in india itself you find lot,how can you expect an ABCD/NRI'kids to know everything in detail?

nithia
02-23-2006, 12:18 PM
["Could someone explain me this...

Just a doubt,nithi you mean to say that ppl in india ( everyone ) knew very well their mother tongue?????There are lot many ppl who can speak their mother tongue,but dont know to write/read or know much of mahabaratham....still arent they sticking to culture?
When in india itself you find lot,how can you expect an ABCD/NRI'kids to know everything in detail?"
Micky]

Hi Micky, Im not exactly sure if i understand your doubt, but here goes my best understanding of it.

Any indian should be able to speak their mother tongue. You don't have to read or write or even know the mahabaratham. I see alot of my friends who are brought up overseas being able to speak the mother tongue...yet when i meet fellow Malaysias as an example, they pretend to not know. Having experience this, im just letting you know. Im not expecting anyone who is born and brought up in a country (malaysia, India, etc... where the language is emphasized to know how to read or write, but at least speak the language. A good example : South Africans. I have met a few and most of them speak their mother tongue.

Hope that clears your doubt.

Sruti
02-24-2006, 03:43 AM
yeah guys enum enthe topic pokuthu.....

it all depends on the family and the individual...so ava ava epdi erukanumo apdi eruthutu porango......sile peru tradition konjam loose le vidurango..sile peru follow panurango...athukunu totalla yarum vidurahtu kedayathu......ena tradition name blood le urinathu pa

chinglees
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
வெத்திலை பாக்கு வச்சு சாமி கும்பிட்டு ஒரு குட்டி கர்ணம் போட்டு கேக்கனும்... விட்டா விவேக் மாறி சொல்லிகிட் டே போவேன்... ஆனா பதில் மட்டும் சொல்லமாட்ட ேன்.

:sm12: :sm12:

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

chinglees
10-11-2006, 04:46 AM
[quote=Priyam2004;248225][Side-track, sorry

chinglees
10-11-2006, 04:54 AM
enna panen enake purila:confused: