PDA

View Full Version : Indian scientist cancels US trip

Sruti
02-25-2006, 01:30 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1428360.cms

BANGALORE: Top Indian scientist Govardhan Mehta, who had been reportedly intially 'denied' but later granted an US visa today said he has cancelled plans to visit that country to deliver a lecture at a function organised by the University of Florida.

"I had cancelled my travel plans the very next day after being denied a visa and had informed the University of the same," Mehta, a former Director of the Bangalore-based prestigeous Indian Institute of Science said.

Reacting to the US government's decision to grant him a visa, he said, "I had been wronged. It is good that they have corrected the wrong done to me."

valluvan
02-25-2006, 02:25 PM
It seems that the US embassy has done it's job. :think:

[web:ae732fdc1c]http://www.hindu.com/2006/02/25/stories/2006022518041600.htm[/web:ae732fdc1c]

Thanks to hinduonnet.com

Idiot
02-25-2006, 02:29 PM
pakkalam kadaisi varaikkum pogama irukarraaaaaaaaaanu..

Sruti
02-25-2006, 04:57 PM
ethu soinnegele ethu ethe than ethirparthen..porara elleyanu...lets wait and c......

Idiot
02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: sruti

lets wait and c

vasan
02-25-2006, 11:39 PM
What is the big deal??

Every Govt has tons of procedures. It has to be met and things will be issued. He is not a diplomat protected by rules - he is a scientist working in an area that requires revision and check. Just because you are big deal in your country means zilch elsewhere.

If you have a travel plan, submit your documents and wait. And go. And mind your business. Don't make it a political statement.

v-

Sruti
02-25-2006, 11:41 PM
vasan corect ah sonnengo....averu visa papers ku pathile result papers submit pani eruparu athan averuku reject akiduchunu nenaikiren

vasan
02-25-2006, 11:47 PM
averu visa papers ku pathile result papers submit pani eruparu athan averuku reject akiduchunu nenaikiren

:oops: :P :P :P

Usually his PA will submit all these stuff. The trouble is that all the applications are first wetted by a computer that flags all the key words and names and all that which are set by Homeland Security. If it comes up with more than couple of such flags it will have to be cleared by the jokers in Washington and what not. Whole lot of stupid red tape.

There nothing we can do about it. All that can be done is, to submit the papers early enough - or better still start the work from US - Univ. Florida lawyers should have dealt with the issue - so he could be there on time..

They did the same thing to Oppie also. His security clearence was revoked - and poor chap could not leave the country even for speaking arrangements. And he was an American - and the head of Manhattan project..

If these nuts could do so to their own, I am sure none of us can complain too much. At least I am glad the Ambassador was nice enough to apologize.

v-

anainar
02-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Mr V-,

I beg to disagree. There is some thing called Business Express program in the US Consulates to issue visas to businessmen. They dont have to go to consulate, have to submit zilch as documents.

I know it is a procedural bottleneck that delayed the visa of Prof. Mehta. But that is no reason for not raising a flag. When they can do express processing for Businessmen, why not the renowned Academia? They have every right to ask for information, no question about that. But what to ask and how to ask makes a huge difference. That is what is called Diplomacy and they are called Diplomats. To know the sensitivity of local situation and be diplomatic.

I dont know whether Prof Mehta will visit US or not. Even if he visits some time later who cares? He raised a flag for now and it is for US Consulate to evolve a mechanism to speed up the process.

Cheer

itechlegend
02-27-2006, 12:10 PM
if US accepts the fact and shows apologise then mehta must go ...
this is wat i feel...

emyesbee
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
It said Mr. Mulford called Prof. Mehta on Thursday to notify him and express both his apologies over the delay and satisfaction that a visa was being issued.

Thay have asked apology directly to the concerned person. There ends the problem!

vasan
02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Mr V-,

I beg to disagree. There is some thing called Business Express program in the US Consulates to issue visas to businessmen. They dont have to go to consulate, have to submit zilch as documents.

I know it is a procedural bottleneck that delayed the visa of Prof. Mehta. But that is no reason for not raising a flag. When they can do express processing for Businessmen, why not the renowned Academia?

I beg to disagree too. :D

Business folks might have a quicker route - but they would have been regular travellers - and established business people. If the business is nuclear stuff, or related to defence, there is no way any one would get a one time visa that quickly.

Academia is lot worse. You could be a harmless dude studying high density polyethylene (the sorta thing used for tarpaulins and grocery bags) and yet because his field is 'polymer chemistry or physics' he will be wetted and have to go through serious trouble for a visa.

Any one related to Defence and/or nuclear stuff will not get visa that easily. First they need to get a no-objection letter from Govt (if you work in IISc, you need Govt permission to obtain a passport :ee: ), and depending on your level of involvement, you will have to get similar letters from couple of agencies. If the red tape is so much in India (for our own scientists and top level academecians), imagine the trouble with going to other countries.

(On a side note: Once an top level academic from the then USSR was visiting my lab in India. He was accompanied by a silent muscle man, whom most of us assumed to be a member of KGB.. :P :P I mean, he is not a scientist, he does not do translations, but the prof couldn't talk to anyone, with out him being present.. :sm12: :sm12: such a silly thing.. :P)..

Red tape is red tape. Very little logic. And there is nothing much we can do about it. If we change this policy, there will be some other policy with which we will be stuck.. Sad, but true.

US Consulate to evolve a mechanism to speed up the process.

Not happening any time soon. I can tell you that much. Prof Mehta is not even 'that big a shot' in India. He is an accomplished man, and have done some tremondous work - but he is not the popular sorta of dude... (for example, not the kinda guy who will get a Bharat Ratna!.. )..

Besides, tons of schools - including my own - have been pestering INS and the Homeland Security to relax or speed up the things for students and academics - for the past couple of years. Students going on summer break - especially from India and China - for 3-4 weeks have gotten stuck up with visa trouble and had to stay in India/china for 6-8 months!!!! Imagine your studies are for an year and half - and getting stuck for 9 months just for visa renewal.. disgusting.. but thats how it has been... (not always, but so many times that its a scary thing to go home if you are in the verge of completion).. My U. prez, as well as most UC folks have written to the Govt, CA senators have talked about it.. all to no avail.. :doh: :doh:

and then the idiots go and contract away the ports to Dubai.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bunch of clueless clowns... :evil: :evil:

v-

emyesbee
02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
and then the idiots go and contract away the ports to Dubai.. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Bunch of clueless clowns... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

:lol: :lol: siripputhan varuthu avenga panratha paartha :)

dinesh
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
I always find it quite amusing when people protest about foreign governments not issuing visas. The thing is a visa is not a right, it is merely a privilege. Most governments do not even have to give a justification for denying visa. Of course they might have lost oout etc, but there is nothing the applicant do about it.

and then the idiots go and contract away the ports to Dubai..
An what exactly do you imply by this thatha? Of course I would have expected this from a normal American who can easily be swayed by fear or patriotic rhetoric, but surely from you... :snooty:

Dubai Ports World (DPW) is the fifth largest ports group in the world. They already have several port maintenance contracts around the world including in Australia, Germany and China. They also run the Vizag, Cochin and Vallarpadam ports in India. :ahha:

It was not the US government which had sold these contracts to DPW. DPW has bought Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co. based in the UK, who held these contracts, and hence have ownership of the contracts. So I can't see what the US government can do about it, as they surely would not have inserted clauses in the contracts to say "If you sell yourselves to these Arab fellows, we will nuke your contracts". If the US government wants out of the contract, the most probable way they could do it is by compensating DPW for loss of earnings, or risk a huge loss of reputation (BTW, there are markets outside of US too, worth more than the US market).

The other point which the media has conveniently forgotten to mention is that all port security in the US is run by the US Coast Guard. So it is the same chance terrorists would sneak in regardless whether the ports are serviced by a British company or a company owned by a bunch of Sheiks.

Also forgotten is that the UAE is one of the most supportive countries to the US in the Middle East and the US already maintains several bases in the Emirate. Very hard to argue they are compromising national security given a) they could easily do that in their country itself and b) they employees are going to remain mostly Americans (when P&O ran the ports it didn't dump a load of Brits to work in the ports, so it will be safe to assume there won't be a lot of Arabs working in the Miami port too)

Of course, this is the risk you get when you allow private investment in critical services. You cannot say free market movement is the best but then don't let most of the world invest, because that is blatant protectionism, which is what the US and the US funded World Bank cry against so much in the developing world. Of course when you privatise sensitive industries you can't complain when a rich sheik decides to invest in it. The most untapped cash in the world lies in the middle east, and I think we can see more fireworks of this nature in the future too.

vasan
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
An what exactly do you imply by this thatha?

I am not implying anything except that a renewal of student visa for a guy who has been in US for the past 5 years takes 8 months of FBI and homeland security investigations, where as controlling the biggest ports in US has been given away to foreign contractors, with out much review. The prez is not aware, the homeland security wants it to be withdrawn, it has not reviewed or permitted.. Now why? I couldn't careless it if was given to Dubai or anyone else.... My point was why with out review? (Dubai might have all sorts of whatever record, but the point exists that there is no review on these issues). IT is not economic protectionism that I am conerned with.....

I don't understand what the Govt and the homeland security considers as a high risk thing..

If a law is enforced, whatever it is, it must be done systematically and sensibly.

~~~~~~~~~~

v-

ps: CoastGuard guards the coast. If the ship has legal papers nothing can be done.
ps1: How many enter the port, and checking on the folks entering the port is done by the harbor police, along with INS and others. IT requires complete cooperation from the agencies running the shop.

Shy
02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I always find it quite amusing when people protest about foreign governments not issuing visas. The thing is a visa is not a right, it is merely a privilege. Most governments do not even have to give a justification for denying visa. Of course they might have lost oout etc, but there is nothing the applicant do about it.

It was not the US government which had sold these contracts to DPW. DPW has bought Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co. based in the UK, who held these contracts, and hence have ownership of the contracts. So I can't see what the US government can do about it, as they surely would not have inserted clauses in the contracts to say "If you sell yourselves to these Arab fellows, we will nuke your contracts". If the US government wants out of the contract, the most probable way they could do it is by compensating DPW for loss of earnings, or risk a huge loss of reputation (BTW, there are markets outside of US too, worth more than the US market).

The other point which the media has conveniently forgotten to mention is that all port security in the US is run by the US Coast Guard. So it is the same chance terrorists would sneak in regardless whether the ports are serviced by a British company or a company owned by a bunch of Sheiks.

Also forgotten is that the UAE is one of the most supportive countries to the US in the Middle East and the US already maintains several bases in the Emirate. Very hard to argue they are compromising national security given a) they could easily do that in their country itself and b) they employees are going to remain mostly Americans (when P&O ran the ports it didn't dump a load of Brits to work in the ports, so it will be safe to assume there won't be a lot of Arabs working in the Miami port too)

Of course, this is the risk you get when you allow private investment in critical services. You cannot say free market movement is the best but then don't let most of the world invest, because that is blatant protectionism, which is what the US and the US funded World Bank cry against so much in the developing world. Of course when you privatise sensitive industries you can't complain when a rich sheik decides to invest in it. The most untapped cash in the world lies in the middle east, and I think we can see more fireworks of this nature in the future too.

For once, we agree dinesh :b:

Shy

dinesh
03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I am not implying anything except that a renewal of student visa for a guy who has been in US for the past 5 years takes 8 months of FBI and homeland security investigations, where as controlling the biggest ports in US has been given away to foreign contractors, with out much review. The prez is not aware, the homeland security wants it to be withdrawn, it has not reviewed or permitted.. Now why? I couldn't careless it if was given to Dubai or anyone else.... My point was why with out review?
There is a very good reason why there was no review. Actually there are two reasons.
1. There was no reason for a review. There were no new contracts being awarded. The contract owner was being taken over in another country. The takeover only completed couple of weeks back, with other bidders making offers too. If there was any review to be made now is actually the time to do a review, with the offer being firmly accepted by the majority of shareholders, and the sale confirmed.
2. The reviews that were supposed to be made in case of a foreign sale, have already been made. Years back. When a British company won the contracts. Unless they decided that since Britain is almost like another state of the US, they would have done a review on the risks of contracting out to foreigners and prevented the contracts then itself.

You might have meant something totally different, but the example is pretty incorrect.