PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to track e-mail?

paulraj
04-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi

Is there any way to track e-mails, which we are sending everyday, are read by receiver?

Paul

lasik
04-13-2006, 04:55 PM
do u use outlook express? in that there is an option to get a reciept, once the reader read ur mail..

paulraj
04-13-2006, 05:26 PM
no i am using yahoo.

ns80
04-13-2006, 05:37 PM
its not possible with yahoo or any general webmail services i know support read receipts. even if they do, it does asks the reciever for a confirmation before sending a read receipt.

paulraj
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Ok..ns ........Thanks for your information.

How about telnet mail? not general mail like yahoo etc.,
i mean some organistaions mail ids?

paul

emyesbee
04-13-2006, 06:16 PM
i mean some organistaions mail ids?

we can easily track

ns80
04-13-2006, 06:24 PM
we can easily track

you should also be a part of that network right? i mean recalling unread messages works in exchange server within the server. but wudnt work for an external mail server.

emyesbee
04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
you should also be a part of that network right? i mean recalling unread messages works in exchange server within the server. but wudnt work for an external mail server.

Hi NS....I am assuming that a mail arrives for me and I want to track from which machine it came.....this case just seeing the header we can note the IP address of the machine from which it came. The ip address can be tracked by traceroute (in linux) in most cases

lasik
04-13-2006, 06:31 PM
i donno abt general webmail servers...

I jus use outlook express to store my univ-id mails, so outlook has an option to get the reciept after reciever opened the mail.

Sruti
04-14-2006, 03:19 AM
i think we cna do only in outlook express...yahoo/hotmail lam pana mudyathunu nenikiren...

bt athe outlook le configure pani parungo...etho option erukule(some pop3...etho varum i dnt rem now)..mate mails we can chk through outlook athule configure panni apurum read confimartion vachi parungo......I am not sure whether this will work bt u can try

ns80
04-14-2006, 07:02 AM
header we can note the IP address of the machine from which it came.

It works for a kutti company or like an organization that might be in just one location. I dont think it works for big corporates. I tried it one of my friend's email, who works in Bangalore. Once the Whois query showed Minnesota, the other time it was New Jersey.

BTW if you have mulitple Received from's in the header, are they the ones it has been forwarded/responded from IPs :think:
~~~~~~~
Actually rather than the client, should'nt the mail server first support read receipts :think:

emyesbee
04-14-2006, 11:41 AM
header we can note the IP address of the machine from which it came

Nromally the mail server will have everyhting noted down....from which IP it orginated and How and when it came here. But when we get mail by POP and forwarding I have not checked if the same header will remain intact (I do not think so). So assuming we r inside the organization, i.e., at least virtually, then we can check it for sure. We have tried this in IITM and I have seen here too. When my prof mails from Germany it conatins all the infos where it originated where it went and how it came here, when it came here....all details will be there in tact.

emyesbee
04-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I just checked that pop also preserves the header. I checked with one of my friends mail sent yest. he sent from yahoo mail. it came to my univ id I had pop'd it to my lappy by thunderbird in linux. I just checked the header it shows first the mail server of my univ which got the message, then the yahoo mail router in US which forwarded it, then the yahoo mail router in India hich forwarded it, then it gives the IP of my friend which is touchtel.