PDA

View Full Version : Linux distro chooser

ns80
06-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Found a couple of distro choosers

Pretty basic one (http://eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html)

A better one (http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/) (shows the limitations of the other closer matches)

Narayana
06-20-2006, 02:23 AM
looks great....

i got knoppix as my distro...

ns80
06-20-2006, 02:43 AM
I got Debian (got Suse an Debian on the second attempt). You gave a LiveCD alone option :think:

The other day was reading reviews for Arch and Vector(links from distrowatch), two Slack based distros are pretty fast. Vector comes almost as a readymade OS.

emyesbee
06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I too got debian ;)

ns80
06-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Actually there are'nt much choices.
~~~~~~
Anyone tried Vector Linux :think: Actually it is pretty decent and pretty fast, only thing I did'nt like was the LiLo boot :doh: Try the SOHO version, everything works out of the box and is pretty fast too :b:

ns80
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I've been using Slackware 10.2 the last couple of months. Its not so newbie-ish as i found in Ubuntu. This is kind of intermediate usage, mostly command line usage. The device support is very good. I havent configured by wireless yet, rest of them including X and sound were very easy to configure. Infact i knew a lot of configuration files when i configured Slack. If you'd like to evaluate a distro, I highly recommend Slack. The 2 CD full installation occupies about 3 GB.

I was wondering if anyone or people you know have tried Sabayon (its a distro based on Gentoo but with hardly 1/2 to 1 hour install time). I was thinking of trying it out :think:

emyesbee
12-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Recently there has been many new distros in Linux. I do not know what is the need to have these many distributions when not even a single distro can work with all the hardwares from out-of-box -- especially wireless, hibernation. People instead of starting new distrios if they concentrate on the older ones and make it out-of-box support it would be of very great advantage for non-windows(mac) users.

Narayana
12-19-2006, 02:31 AM
I guess (K)ubuntu is currently the most Hardware-compatible distro..

ns80
12-19-2006, 03:13 AM
I dont know if wireless works out of the box in any distro, as far as Ubuntu and its variants are concerned. Its pretty easy to configure wireless in them. Rest of the devies are supported out of the box in many of the well known OS's.

emyesbee
12-19-2006, 03:28 AM
We can do wireless config easily in fedora too. But I am pretty sure in no distro it works out of box. Just starting a new distro doesn't help; its of no use I think.

Narayana
12-19-2006, 01:34 PM
if wireless works out of the box in any distro, as far as Ubuntu and its variants are concerned
i heard a friend of mine saying everything worked out of the box: wireless, even the special keys in laptop- all of them. maybe specific for his laptop, but i like the way Ubuntu is moving forward.

ns80
12-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Narayana,
He might've had inbuilt wireless. I use a wireless card here. Requires a little configuring in Ubuntu.
~~~~~~
MSB,
its not about 'out of the box' support. I was trying out different distros. It all depends on how much time you have to experiment.