PDA

View Full Version : computer engineering companies.

Narayana
06-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between an IT company(Infosys, TCS, CTS,Wipro etc) and a tech company(like HP, Microsfot, Google, etc.) for a computer science student...

What kind of job is done in each of these, etc... What a computer science and engg. student gains by working in an IT industry???

:Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:

Shy
06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
enakku therincha varaikkum....

IT Industry is very vast Narayana...

U have

(1) consultancy firms - Infosys, TCS, CTS (Even though CTS is developing products of its own.. atleast thats what they say :ahha: )

So by consulting, its very big industry, they literally grab every oppurtunity from backoffice job to the customer end.. Also all languages, backend(mainframe, RDBMS), ERP Systems - both maintainence or development at times. So the consulting ooda oru plus point ennana, different industry..u will gain very different experience each project. So they recruit people, give u 4-5 months of training in what they do. I assume it will be a startup in all areas. They there u go.

(2) Software companies - Product developers. There u have the development, QA and professional servcies division. As always, depending upon their product, comp science student has to learn and they approach them. Intha software companieslaiye.. middleware, backend, front end companiesnu irukku. from the name u would understand i guess. backend and front end will be confined to one particular area mostly. Middleware is where u can learn everything. I will give u our company as an example. Ours is a middleware product company, we create adapters. u name the backends and we have the adapters. say business1's backend is SAP and business2's backend is RDBMS, we have adapters which can send data from SAP to RDBMS. So this company has around 500 diff adapters, they even have for the oldage adapters.. :sm12: :sm12: some clients still are using it. Now in companies like this.. u get to learn most of the backends because of their vast clients. thus not getting bored to one single area of expertise.

Ok as a student, you need to know ur comfort zone, where u are good at. Networking, developing (frontend, backend). Depending upon that, you can categorize the companies and then look at their on going projects, products and their scope for the future. Then analyze if you would be comfortable doing that type of work or u would be using them just for gaining experience. Then give them a try :)

I dont know how helpful I was..just thought of saying :)

Best of Luck :b:

Shy

katteri
06-24-2006, 03:42 PM
In simple

IT company: Use the tools as a black box, may also involve some development but not extensively

tech company: developer of the tools, may extend to support

Narayana
06-24-2006, 06:10 PM
thanks Shy akka, and katteri..
this is for my friends... once i get into an IT industry, is it possible for me to go into product development/tech company ???
or am i stuck ??

i guess i still haven't got the distinction b/w IT and tech...
like in our labs and all, we are given an input and wat the output should be, and we code from scratch. in the industrial level, i guess we also get the design for the product etc. etc..... :Ksp: :Ksp: is this wat a SW/tech company does?? So wat do consulting/solutions/services etc mean? is it like there's an existing application, using that, i tell the client how to solve teir problem???? huh??

computer engg. studentaa irunthuttu, ithukooda theriyalayaa ninakkarella?? :oops: :oops: :oops:

ns80
06-25-2006, 03:46 AM
in the end it boils down to what technologies and domain interest you or which of them you need to achieve what you want.
~~~~~~

So wat do consulting/solutions/services etc mean?

consulting is more or less: "the land is owned by X, you build and/or maintain the house for X"
services would be like: "the land is owned by X. the building is already there. you do new signups, rent collection for X"

product development " you are X. you own the land. you build the houses. you sell to Y. you do the maintainance at a price for Y"

this is a very higher level explanation. hope i got it right :Ksp:
~~~~~~
product development or consulting what you get expertise is on a specific set of technologies. it is that experience that will determine what kind of opps you can get into in the future.

just take time and browse through some experienced jobs in some of the company career sections. that should give an idea of what kind of expertise you need.

dinesh
06-25-2006, 04:01 AM
once i get into an IT industry, is it possible for me to go into product development/tech company ???
I think you should be able to....but it depends on how you develope your skills. If you spend all your time working on something that is not used by anyone else, then it will be harder for you.

is this wat a SW/tech company does?? So wat do consulting/solutions/services etc mean? is it like there's an existing application, using that, i tell the client how to solve teir problem???? huh??
In simple terms, software companies try to solve a specific problem for a client. For example developing an inventory solution. The solution will be unique to that project. Once the project is complete the designers/developers will move on to a different project, and the support staff will look after the system

Tech companies try to solve a general problem, so to say. They develope a product for the mass market, there won't be many solutions, but one solution trying to solve most of the problems.

Of course with some companies like IBM, you would find both the above happening....

Regarding what you will gain, I would say as a rookie, you will be learning similar stuff in both places. The main difference with the jobs happens at analyst/designer level. S/W guys must spend time analysing unique situations and come up with solutions for them, so you can think many short/medium term project. Whereas in tech companies, requirement gathering will be more complex, with teams like marketing also involved. And the designers will be specialized for that industry, cos their product has to be acceptable by a vast range of people with varying needs.

I don't expect developer roles to be much different though.

Narayana
06-27-2006, 04:04 AM
thanks every1... that really helped.. :b: :b: