PDA

View Full Version : Linksys BEFW11S4 router & WPC11 card

ns80
06-26-2006, 06:16 AM
This was a request from MSB sometime back, asking about wireless routers.

I got this Linksys BEFW11S4 router (WPC11 v4 wireless card is included with the package) few months back in a deal.

Configurin the router was really straightforward. In my case, my modem IP and router IP clashed. So had to change the router IP to something other than 192.168.1.1 (default router IP), should be on the opening page (Setup > Basic Setup).

I had some problems havin set the Advanced Routing options which was'nt required at all. Just the basic setup was enough.

If you have a PPPoE DSL connection (like the case of BSNL), just enter the username, password at the basic setup. The router will dial for you and you dont need to do anything. Just plugin the ethernet or wireless card, net should work without any configuration from the client side.
~~~~~~~
My kernel version: 2.6.12-9-386
Distro: Ubuntu Breezy

Now for the card configuration in Linux: Plug the card in before boot, follow this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=523437&postcount=2) and reboot. You should see the wireless card in the network interfaces configured at wlan0. Should have tried the same on Debian Sarge, as its another deb based distro too with a 2.6.x. There is another painful process of enabling wireless in kernel options and recompiling the kernel explained for a 2.4.x kernel. Dont think that would apply for a 2.6.x kernel :think: or does it :think:

Either way, ndiswrapper is the driver for this card.

Finally after a while, wireless from Linux :D