PDA

View Full Version : need help H1B premium visa-info

paulraj
06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
can any one tell me

1.what is the benefit of H1B premium visa?

2. how much it (recent days)cost to process?

3. how long it will take to get this visa?

4.How long it will take to process the H1B visa (not premium one)?

5.If H1B premium/H1B not able to get -How easy to change J1 to H1B ?

with thanks
paul

tinker
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
hey paul - nowadays h1b processing takes anywhere between 60 - 120 days.. premium processing is an additional $1000 on top of whatever amount they are paying to the lawyer and INS which is also higher if this is the first time your visa is being sponsored ... with premium processing ideally you shud get your papers in 15 business days.. but this is INS we are talking about , so dont be surprised .... the regular h1b quota for the year 2007 is already exhausted... you can get a h1 only if you have done master degree in the USA although those visas are also being used very fast....

Shy
06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
1.what is the benefit of H1B premium visa?

You dont have any waittime as in normal processing, you can get the receipt info in 2-3 days and get ur H1B approval/rejection in 2 weeks at the maximum.

2. how much it (recent days)cost to process?

$1000 as far as I remember. One of my friend's cousin had his H1 done in month of feb.

3. how long it will take to get this visa?

2 weeks at the max

4.How long it will take to process the H1B visa (not premium one)?

3 months to the max. (90 days)

5.If H1B premium/H1B not able to get -How easy to change J1 to H1B ?

J1? I think its something like F1? I know F1, L1 is all possbile, as long as you get an employer who is ready to do the H1 for you.

Hope this helps
Shy

tinker
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
3(Sh)Y If I am correct J1 is for research candidates ..

Paul - your company wherever you are doing research doesnt want to sponser gc for you ? ... you can probably apply 140 and 485 together if the visa nos are current which I think it shud be for J1 .. you will get your GC within a year

Shy
06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Tinker... Thanks pa..

But antha last line puriyalai. So H1 ippo recenta apply panravangalukku, you mean to say they can get their GC within a year?

Shy

paulraj
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Tinker and Shy

Thanks for your valuable information. Tinker, if you could elaborately tell the second reply of yours will be more useful.

With Thanks
paul

tinker
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
But antha last line puriyalai. So H1 ippo recenta apply panravangalukku, you mean to say they can get their GC within a year?

3(Sh)y

Not for H1 guys ... I am talking about J1 research candidates ...

Paul - You are probably in research category visa.. for this kind of visa you dont need to apply for labor and you can directly go to the next steps of the green card process which is 140 and 485 .. this should be current for even India and hence you can diretly do a concurrent filing... once you have concurrently filed your GC , you can get EAD (employment authorization document) which allows you to work in the country without a h1b visa or any type of visa.... talk to your company and see if they will do that for you ... I think this will be the best and easiest way for you to get the GC soon enough instead of going thru labor and all those crap ..

PS: I am not an attorney and am just telling you with limited stuff I know about immigration.. consult your HR or you company attorney or any other Immigration attorney..

paulraj
06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Yes Tinker i am. Thanks for your information.I dont have much idea about visa processing in USA .If i need futher help i will contact you.

with thanks
paul

paulraj
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Tinker

If you can give further information like any weblink, which can give more idea about J1 to GC will be nice. Infcat i sent one PM to your inbox, please check it and reply if you have time.

with Thanks
paul

ns80
07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
tinker,
I guess you are confusing between O1 and J1.

If am right, J1 is an exchange student visa, isnt it like more like L1 visa, except in the case you study/do research in a university through some other university/research org :think:

try this: http://www.immigrationportal.com/archive/index.php/f-187.html

There are a good number of people who seemed to had similar J1 -> H1 queries.

Unless you are a US MS/PhD grad, you prolly have to wait until April 2007 to file for the next year quota.

paulraj
07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks NS for the reply

Oh..is it O1 not J1?

i will go through this site.Thanks a lot

paul

ns80
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
no no O1 is a totally different visa, its a type of work visa (extraordinary talent category - one assistant professor at my former university was hired under this visa) check this (http://usimmigration.visapro.com/O1-Visa.asp). I happened to say that in reference to this:

for this kind of visa you dont need to apply for labor and you can directly go to the next steps of the green card process which is 140 and 485 .. this should be current for even India and hence you can diretly do a concurrent filing...

However J1 is a non-immigrant visa, i dont think you can file a green card without converting to a immigrant visa category like a H series visa.

You can browse through immigrationportal (link i gave you in the last post) and murthy (http://murthy.com/) for initial research. you might find more as you google. you can even try calling some immigration attornies to check if there might be any problems in such a transfer. or if you have an offer or something, you can even consult your (prospective) employer's immigration lawyer to see how it can be done.

paulraj
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks NS for your info.Now i got idea.

paul

Shy
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
thanks nana :b: :sm08:

Shy

tinker
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Paul - Sorry about the info... Nana is correct and I was wrong....

I donot think your company can do your H1B for the fiscal year 2007 unless they change the law and add more visas ... since all those allocated for the year have exhausted ....

anainar
07-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Paul,

J1 is a research category visa and converting it to work visa is a head ache. F1 to H1 is easy but J1 to H1 is huge pile of work. With J1, the university where you do research can get you green card directly, without going through labor clearance etc. O1 is a outstanding scientist visa. If you are an outstanding scientist in your area, sure, you can.

Premium processing - that is what it is called. The visa is still the same, but the premium speeds up the process. I got my visa in 2002 in less than two weeks. The case may be different nowadays.

And Nana is right. You have to wait till next year before filing the application.

Good luck with your quest..

Cheers.

PS: I did work in the land of opportunity, but found India to be the current land of opportunity. :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Shy
07-07-2006, 02:46 AM
really??? my friend said.. there's some 6000 remaining???

Shy

ns80
07-07-2006, 03:15 AM
my friend said.. there's some 6000 remaining???

Thats the advanced degree H1B, has about 6000 odd as of June 30th, you should've graduated a Masters or PhD degree from the US. Similar degree from any other country would'nt work.

General H1B quota was gone in 56 days :sm12: :sm12:

BTW I forgot to include something in the previous post, if you are a Singapore PR (or is it citizenship ? someone plz confirm) there are 6500 or 7000 visas allocated for Singapore and Chile, which usually does'nt get filled any fiscal year and neither does it get rolled over into the next fiscal years' general quota.

tinker
07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Nana - yes they have their share of quota ....

ns80
07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
adhu varusha varusham minjum. But do you know if it is for PRs or just citizens of Singapore and Chile :think: (pona post'laye kettirundhen note pannineengala'nu theriyale)

tinker
07-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Nana - If I am correct its only for citizens of that country under some free trade agreement they have with those countries ...

ns80
07-07-2006, 07:44 AM
An off topic yet immigration question...if a person is a Permanent Resident in US and does'nt become a citizen. Does getting a pension depend upon citizenship :think: (logically it shudnt, but just curious)

tinker
07-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Nana - you dont even have to be a PR... and all you need is to have to stayed 10 yrs and collected 40 points ..

Shy
07-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks Nana and Tinker

Shy

paulraj
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
ANAIANAR,NS,TINKER

THANKS FOR UR INFORMATION.

Anainar wrote

With J1, the university where you do research can get you green card directly, without going through labor clearance etc.

IS It? WHAT IS THE REUIREMENT FOR THAT? Like need to stay in the same institute for 5 years? Etc.,