PDA

View Full Version : Linux Help

Idiot
08-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Hai all,

I am not a software giant, but I would like to learn Linux not in deep like programming and all stuffs, but want to work in Linux environment.

1. I have Windows installed in my PC. I want to work in Linux also i.e., I want to have both in my PC. Whether is that possible ? If yes how?

2. I heard about version of Linux for beginners which we can work with CD directly ( this is for some time until i am getting used to Linux ). If u can advice me where i can download this and i need the manual also for this.

3. Kindly give me some basic ideas to work in linux, if possible some books for the begineers. Once again I am not a software guy, so i need instructions like for Kids :ahha: ( I am still kid by heart :wink: ).

On getting replies as usual i will come back here with 1000's of questions.

waiting for your replies.

Idiot
08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
TRy to read the thread of ns - dual booting for linux.. sathiyama onnum puriyalai

naan software'la koyanthai..

ns80
08-13-2006, 04:41 AM
You dont need to know anything about programming to install or run Linux. The only thing you need to be a little careful is while partitioning. Linux distributions have come a long way, you put almost zero effort to install them. Typical devices work out of the box.

BTW, by distributions I mean the 'Linux' provided by different vendors like Fedora, Debian, Suse etc.

First of all, a few questions:

1. How do you run your Windows ? Have all the data in one drive, or have multiple drives ?
2. Whats your system config (just proc speed, RAM and Hard disk space shud do) ?

Idiot
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
1. I have two drives. One i am having all the program files (10 GB) , second for all other datas (30GB).

2. 256 MB RAM, 40GB hard disk, 1.3 GHz ( process. speed i am sure exactly )

---------------------------------

even i havent installed windows b4 ..my friend did it for me. thats what i want to mention.

ns80
08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I will refer your primary Windows drive as C and the other one as D.

1. The best way to get Linux on is to backup your D drive completely (transfer some to C or catch hold of a external hard drive from someone and dump it there). Before you proceed to the next step. make sure you dont have anything in D.

2. Get hold of Partitionmagic software (a windows based GUI partition management tool) and install it (Partitionmagic only. dont install extras like Bootmagic or anything).

3. Using Partitionmagic resize your 30 GB D drive to 20 GB (IMO anything above 8GB is a comfortable space for you to play around with Linux. installing your choice of packages. having data and things like that) and commit the changes. Dont do anything with your C drive.

Am pretty sure you can do the same thing with fdisk (its a DOS based partition management tool) too. Since you are just playing around with an empty data drive and not with your primary Windows drive. But am not completely sure about it, someone else please confirm.

If so, to do it using fdisk. you have to boot from a boot floppy and get to the command prompt. run 'fdisk' from the command prompt. First display your partitions, you'll see the 10 and 30 GB drive. Next you gotto delete the 30GB drive and then create a 20 GB drive.

You can either use Partitionmagic or 'fdisk' way. Partitionmagic method will defenitely work, and I think that would be the easiest method for you as a newbie who has never tried installing Windows. So now you should be having a 10 GB C drive and 20GB D drive and 10 GB unallocated space.

You dont need Partitionmagic anymore, you can even go ahead and uninstall it (your partition setup is independent of Partitionmagic). If you have it, please for heaven sakes dont open it after Linux is setup (it complains something about the partition table and on the next reboot my system crashed when I tried it).

For a 1.3 gig processor, 256 MB system (more or less my system config). Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) will work fine without problems, Debian (http://www.us.debian.org/) will be a bit fast. These are 2 of the 'distributions' I was talking about in the previous post.

My suggestion would be Ubuntu, bcos it need the least install effort, out of the box device support, you have a lot of documentation and hell lot of users and forums which can help you in case you run into problems.

If you want to go ahead with Ubuntu, choose Desktop > download, choose any download mirror close to you and then download the PC version and burn it in a CD.

Now reboot, most of the initial steps keymap(type of keyboard you use) and type of mouse are self explanatory. Just choose the typical settings if unsure. Then comes the partition setup (i guess it'll load the drivers before this setup), this is the only setup that needs your attention. At this step, choose the option that says 'Use the unpartitioned space'. Typically this step will partition the 10 GB space you left free after that partitionmagic process and split it into a swap space (virtual memory) around twice the size of your RAM and a root partition (/) where your 'Linux' is gonna get installed. Press 'Done setting up partitions' and then it'll prompt you about formatting the root partition and swap partition. Answer 'yes' and that is all you have to do. After a looooooong while (about 40 mins), it will ask bootloader related questions. Choose to install the GRUB bootloader, and install it in the Master Boot Record (MBR). GRUB bootloader will automatically recognize your Windows partition. At your next boot, you will have a menu with:

Ubuntu <some version number>
-ditto- (recovery mode)
memtest86
Windows XP

choose the first if you want to boot in Linux, or Windows XP if you want to boot in Windows.

inbetween it will ask you to create a user account. its the password of this first user, that you will use as the 'root' password when you 'sudo' from command line or when you are asked for root password by a GUI based application that needs to run as root (such as Synaptic package manager, Firestarter firewall etc). In Ubuntu, you wont set a root password as a security measure. the first user password is the one you will use to run as (pseudo)-root.

Thats all your honour. you now have a Windows-Linux (Ubuntu Dapper Drake with GNOME desktop manager) dual boot in your system.

Additional help:
to install well known desktop packages you can think of (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper)
official forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/)
~~~~~~
I dont think any book helped me. Pretty much google and do for everything. After a while you'll get used to it.

Yaaaaaaawnsss!! and wakes up vasan from sleep :lol: :lol: :lol:

Idiot
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
danke ns. will go through everything and get back to u.

danke once again. :ee:

Narayana
08-14-2006, 01:35 AM
i don't recommend debian to beginners... :Ksp: :Ksp: i prefer KDE to GNOME so Kubuntu maybe better than ubuntu.

but really, i believe iig, you should try a live CD first. just put in the CD, boot from it. No partitioning, no worries. Try Ubuntu Live or Knoppix Live. It'll be slow on ur 256 RAM, but shud be enough to get a feel of linux;

ns80
08-14-2006, 03:55 AM
I run Kubuntu 6.06 on an identical config (1.33 gig AMD Athlon, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive). Runs pretty good. Yes even i prefer KDE over Gnome. Actually Gnome isnt complicated, the menu navigation looks completely different from Windows.

You can get Kubuntu (http://kubuntu.org/download.php) from here. dont worry even if you have downloaded and burned the GNOME version already.

BTW Live CD and Install CD for the latest version are all the same. You'll be greeted with a menu as you boot from the CD whether you want to install or boot as Live CD.

Idiot
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
thanks narayana :ee:

First as narayanan said i will try to work with CD

is their any manual available for that version. like say just to work in that. r everything is the same as other.

emyesbee
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
IIG....welcome to Linux world.....

For every(any)thing for linux just google.....u can find step by step approaches in few steps of googling...

And have patience.....since this is the first time ur trying it might take time but I ams sure u can leanr more....

If u get into problem ask us here....iam not an expert by no means...but can try helping you....if u need expert advice u can searhc for forums for the repspective distros of linux and u can post ur question there...

As Narayana and Nana said....Redhat (fedora now), Suse, ubuntu just works out of box....in most cases...

Just experience the knoppix fist a wonderful live CD OS.....I like the most....

Once we had an old windows dump machine in IIT which was full of virus....and some stundets were having datas too there....so only thing which helped us was knoppix....it just booted and took all the files from the hdd and we just copied it over net into another linux system and got all the datas back...its really a recue CD...I always have the knoppix CD with my laptop...if anyhting goes wrong I boot through knoppix and take backups..

Idiot
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
danke MSB.

1. knoppix what ur talking is the Kubuntu what ns has mentioned in the previous post. is it something different.

2. when i am booting from CD is that possible to access datas from my hard disk. Can i able to access internet while working from Cd. what kind of settings r procedure i have to follow.

--------------------

as a beginner has more doubts and questions. kochukatheengo ellarum :ee:

emyesbee
08-15-2006, 01:20 PM
knoppix and kubuntu are different distros...

u can access datas; when it boots up it will create desktop icons for each partition of the hdd. so u can just click like windows icons and do whatever u want.

u can access internet too.....it just a complete OS in a single CD (ofcourse contains essentials only)

i think it will have manual also once u boot up u can get the manual icon also...if aim not wrong....iam not very sure...
http://www.knoppix.net/

Narayana
08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Knoppix is a really good distro.. Live CD and Live DVD are available.. i've got the latest version. ... klaus knopper rocks.

ns80
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
MSB, the current version of Ubuntu (and probably Kubuntu too) is a Live as well as install CD.
~~~~~~
IIG, you can access your hard disk after it boots the OS from the Live CD. But dont touch the partition where you have Windows installed.

Knoppix is another Debian based distribution like Ubuntu which is available as a Live CD only version (it cannot be installed on your machine, runs from CD alone).

emyesbee
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
MSB, the current version of Ubuntu (and probably Kubuntu too) is a Live as well as install CD.

I know that. Even redhat has a live CD.

it cannot be installed on your machine, runs from CD alone

we can install that in hdd too, but the performance will be bad since it is designed for optimal performance only as a live CD. we have to do some tweaks if u want to install it in hdd.

knoppix is a superior one...the way it detects almost all harwares and the compression tech they follow in packing few gbs worth of packages in a single CD is amazing.

vennpuraa
01-18-2007, 01:51 AM
haven't seen this post.......................... next few days i'll be in this section:D

is it possible to install linux......in an external hard drive????.....

what about fedora 6????

ns80
01-18-2007, 02:59 AM
i guess u can install linux on a external drive. but i feel it'll be slower to boot when compared to booting from an internal hard drive. If you are a total Linux newbie and learning Linux at leisure and not for any urgent purpose, I suggest you try Knoppix. Its a live cd distro. You dont need to partition or anything. The OS boots from a CD, only thing is u can't install additional packages. I donno if Knoppix automatically mounts your hard drive partitions at boot time. If not its easy to manually mount it too.

Narayana has used Knoppix before. He'd be able to give more insights than me.

emyesbee
01-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Pura...as nana says we can do the installation in external HDD. We can install in USB pendrive also.

Narayana
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Yes. try out the Live CDs. Try Knoppix, and see if everything works. Use it for smoetime, will be slow, but once you get a hang of things, you can move on to the installation.

I really recommend Knoppix as Live CD( i guess CD will be faster than DVD ). Most importantly, get the internet connected. Once u have net, even if you have some problem, Google will come to your rescue.