PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WRT54G broadband router and WPC54G notebook card

emyesbee
08-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I bought Linksys WRT54G broadband router and WPC54G notebook card. I have Dell Inspiron 1000 and FC4 with 2 kernels: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 and 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4_cubbi8_swsusp2. I was mostly booting with swsusp kernel as it had hibernation working. But since I was missing header files I could not compile ndiswrapper with that kernel. But I had headers in the other kernel; Hence I compiled the ndiswrapper 1.8. it gave a warning that my kernel is 4k stack. but I just continued installing the driver. I got the driver (for win9x) for the card which came with the CD and the installed it using ndiswrapper. Then modprobed it and created a link for wlan0. But it did not work it can not even detect the card.

Then I removed ndiswrapper and isntalled it through yum. it installed the kernel 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 also. But I could not boot into the that kernel at all since when it starts booting into the X-win it hangs I do not know why. So I again went with the kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 and tried installing the driver for win9x for the card. It installed but when I modprobed it said objects missing. So now I again compiled the ndiswrapper then got the objects then modprobed and created the link wlan0. It started working.....Now I am wireless in Fedora....!!

One more thing......it seems only the encription WEP works in Linux I do not know why WPA doesn't work.

This is just a description of what I did. If anyone need the full step-by-step approach of what I did I can give...