PDA

View Full Version : Santhi 'not female', to lose silver

Shy
12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
One of India's medal winners at the Asian Games in Doha, Santhi Soundarajan, is likely to be stripped of her silver medal after it was found that she did not have the "sexual characteristics of a woman." Santhi picked up the silver clocking 2 minutes, 3.16 seconds behind Mariam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain. In fact, India finished their campaign at the Doha Asian Games with their best ever haul - 54 medals.
"Santhi was subjected to a gender test after the 800m final and she has failed," Dr Manmohan Singh, chairman of the Indian Olympic Association's Medical Commission, told PTI. "We have received the report of the test on Santhi."
Sources have confirmed CNN-IBN that it was found at the Asian Games in Doha itself after Santhi had won the medal. It is understood that sports officials in India were also aware of the situation.
"In our days such tests were never conducted. However, nowadays the prize money is so high that athletes take to short cuts to win. The sport is not what it used to be once. Gender verification tests should be brought back in a big way," Ashwani Kumar, former IOC member, told CNN-IBN on Sunday.
The Indian contingent was earlier given a blow when Seema Antil, a discuss thrower was alleged to have tested positive for drugs and was promptly withdrawn from the games.
However, she was given a clean chit by the Indian authorities and proved innocent, but she refused to take any further part citing mental stress.
Santhi's rise from obscurity made her the surprise element from India at the Doha Asiad, as her efforts boosted India's mediocre medal tally at the Games.
Courtesy CNN-IBN

Shy

Shy
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
paavam antha girl.. humiliated like this....

cant we have those test done here in India, before sending the players for international games??????

Stupid Indian officialssssss... ella moneyum enna thaan panraanga... stupiddddddddd

Shy

Bluelotus
01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
cant we have those test done here in India, before sending the players for international games??????

I know.... would have saved so much trouble :Ksp:

yasodha
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
She don't know about herself or what......she made a big mistake...;)

rajesh
01-04-2007, 03:25 AM
whatever it is...they shouldn't publicly humiliate a person like this...she is also a human being...it is absolutely inhuman...

coolian
01-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Publicly humiliate, how? How else would you have expected them to deal with it? Give the silver to its rightful owner discreetly, while sending off Santhi with a bunch of flowers? The organization had no other way to deal with it - from their point of view, Santhi should not have participated in the first place, so scapegoat or not, someone somewhere cheated.

And cheats need to be penalized.

Shy
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Publicly humiliate, how? How else would you have expected them to deal with it? Give the silver to its rightful owner discreetly, while sending off Santhi with a bunch of flowers? The organization had no other way to deal with it - from their point of view, Santhi should not have participated in the first place, so scapegoat or not, someone somewhere cheated.

And cheats need to be penalized.

I am not blaming the international board, I am accusing our Indian govt. If only they had all these tests performed her, She and our country wouldnt be humiliated in the world stage right?

Yaso, thats a possibility. I agree that she might have cheated too. thats the reason, we, the country shud be well equipped with all these stuff, so that we can avoid lots of embarassments.

Shy

butterfly
01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I am not blaming the international board, I am accusing our Indian govt. If only they had all these tests performed her, She and our country wouldnt be humiliated in the world stage right?

Yaso, thats a possibility. I agree that she might have cheated too. thats the reason, we, the country shud be well equipped with all these stuff, so that we can avoid lots of embarassments.

Shy

Shy,
read this http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/12/27/chess.cheater.reut/index.html

woke up this morning listening to this news :(

Shy
01-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Kashtam :doh:

Shy

sri_gan
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Shy,
read this http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/12/27/chess.cheater.reut/index.html

woke up this morning listening to this news :(

Ada eswara... technology enga ellam usu pannurangappa... anengama ivan vasulraja padam (may be munnabai version) parthu kettu poitan pola...

butterfly
01-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Ada eswara... technology enga ellam usu pannurangappa... anengama ivan vasulraja padam (may be munnabai version) parthu kettu poitan pola...

Hmmmmm.....

yasodha
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
adakadavule.....:mjpu;r;rp:

rajesh
01-05-2007, 12:51 AM
I prefer to have process in place which does all these checks and ensures that such creepy things don't happen...rather than using the abusive process of humiliation as a mechanism to punish people and embrass the nation as whole.

I might sound odd but I guess punishment is a reactive process...I prefer more of proactive measures to stop it from occuring in the first place.

Shy
01-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I prefer to have process in place which does all these checks and ensures that such creepy things don't happen...rather than using the abusive process of humiliation as a mechanism to punish people and embrass the nation as whole.

I might sound odd but I guess punishment is a reactive process...I prefer more of proactive measures to stop it from occuring in the first place.

Very true !! :b:

Shy

ns80
01-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Actually she passed the gender test in some other event in Korea (or somewhere far east). They do this test only when some dispute comes up. I wonder why the test is'nt in place for those participate, so that they would'nt have to get into a situation like this later :Ksp:

Shy
01-05-2007, 02:57 AM
what nonsense.. she passed the test somewhere else :00:

enna kodumai ithu

Shy

coolian
01-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Source, ns?

Anyway, I was pretty curious as to how the officials determine someone's gender, and I came across this Wikipedia (what else? ;-)) article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_verification_in_sports) .

And Surya, you're talking about what should be in place. Of course, we all could say that, but that's not going to change what has happened to Santhi. And like it or not, I don't think the situation in India is going to change in the near future, so should anyone be as unfortunate as Santhi, they're going to be treated in a not-so-nice manner. We can go around pointing fingers, but things are gonna be the same.