PDA

View Full Version : Spin King Says Goodbye

san2003
12-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Spin King Shane Warne retires :( :(

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/sport/cricket/2112_shane_a.jpg

Shane Warne has put to rest retirement speculation, confirming the final Ashes Test in Sydney will be his international swansong.

The man who has taken 699 Test wickets told a conference at the Melbourne Cricket Ground he would not be playing on after the end of this summer's Ashes campaign.

"It's been an amazing journey, a wonderful ride," he said. "My time is now . . . I couldn't have written my script any better."

He has retired from international and domestic cricket, but will fulfill the final two years of his English County contract with Hampshire.

"I probably would have retired at the end of 2005 if we had have won the Ashes," he said. "I think I'm going out on my terms. I think I've earned the right to do that."

"I couldn't have asked for my cricket career to go any better . . . I never dreamt that my cricket career could go as well as it has."

The leg-spinner categorically ruled out ever playing Test cricket again.

"After the last Test I'll sit back and have a couple of beers and a few smokes and see what the future holds."

A confident and happy-looking Warne said he wanted to spend more time with family.

"I'd like to think I made cricket more enjoyable, more fun and put on a show for the people who turned up.

"I’ve just given everything I could for the cause, cricket's my passion and I'll miss playing international cricket.

"But I know it's the right decision . . . the next half of my life is going to be exciting."

courtesy: ninemsn.com.au
more story of warne : http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/273509.html

Goodbye Warny... ur da champ :) ... interesting enough.. 2 of australia's biggest sporting legends have retired this yr... goin off in their prime...smart move :)

emyesbee
12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
One of the greatest spin bowlers, perhaps the greatest.

Wish him good luck!