PDA

View Full Version : THAMIZH DIALECTS

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Can anyone tell me the basic differences (spoken) between tamizh spoken in srilanka and tamizh spoken in tamilnadu.

also telling me the different words used. and with other examples.

thank you. :b:

PLZ NO OFFENCE.

i just want to learn a language

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 02:47 PM
i heard that

thingal in tamizh (srilankan dialect) means week, one person whom i knew told me so
varutham means disturbed / tired.
kathaikarathu = pesuvathu / talking.

if i am wrong please correct me, i wanna learn this dialect CAN SOMEONE HELP ME

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 02:48 PM
not only this but many aspects other tamizh dialects can be discussed, interested people welcome

sri_gan
10-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Sri Lanka: Kathaikalam

Tamil Nadu: Pesalam or Kathai pesalam

Sanga Tamizh: Uryaiyadalam

Madurai: Pesikittu Irrukalam

Will bring more when i get reminded.

dinesh
10-22-2003, 03:15 PM
madam.....there is nothing called 'singala' thamizh.....thamizh is a different language form sinhalese......you should correct it before somebody takes offence

sri_gan
10-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok... I think you can better call Tamizh in different regions, Madurai, kovai, madras ...

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 03:23 PM
madam.....there is nothing called 'singala' thamizh.....thamizh is a different language form sinhalese......you should correct it before somebody takes offence

THANK U FOR YOUR CONCERN, AND I REALLY NEVER REALIZED THAT I WAS OFFENDING

i just wanted to learn a dialect, if my choice of words are wrong i readily apologize for it.
thank you.

NO OFFENCE TOWARDS ANYONE PLEASEEEEE.

dinesh
10-22-2003, 03:26 PM
thingal in singhala tamizh means week.

normally it means monday in srilankan version too....unless you are a poet or somebody :)
the other words are correct.......

sri_gan
10-22-2003, 03:29 PM
thingal in singhala tamizh means week.

normally it means monday in srilankan version too....unless you are a poet or somebody :)
the other words are correct.......

To be more perfect it is called Sanga Thamizh... Muthamizh sangam nu kelvi pattu irrupenga....

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 03:32 PM
THANKZ SHIDINESH, IF SOME ONE KNOW THAT VERSION / DIALECT OF TAMIZH PLEASE TEACH ME SOME BASICS PLEASE

saraku
10-22-2003, 03:33 PM
this different tamizh dialects issue ... there are not so easy to enumerate. i think there is a lot if people just start writing word by word. even within TN one should be aware of the words that are completely different, leave alone the different pronounciations! this is just my opinion.

dinesh
10-22-2003, 03:33 PM
what do you want to know? I'm a native speaker of srilankan tamil......so I might be able to help

sandhiya_ch
10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
thank you very much shidinesh. it is very nice of you to extend a warm hand of help and amicability.

i just want to know what kevi means. i understand that it is someword related with a respiratory disturbance, is it asthma?

dinesh
10-23-2003, 10:24 PM
i just want to know what kevi means

do you mean 'kevi' or 'kEvi'? if it's kevi (with 'ke' kuril), I've never heard of such a word.
If it is kEvi, then there is only one meaning to that word as far as I'm aware. It is the Tamilised word for the disease 'Scurvy'. A disease which happens because of deficiency of Vitamin C. Patient becomes very week etc. Affects mainly malnourished childen.

vennai1
11-14-2003, 11:42 PM
does the word 'kaimpen' mean 'widow' in tamil ? :think: :think:

and are there any words other than 'Vidavai' for widow... ?? :think:

let me know pllllease ... :pray: :pray:

dinesh
11-15-2003, 12:30 AM
kaimpen does mean widow, I don't know any other words other than vithavai and kaimpen for widow.....you might want to chack an agaraathi....

as an aside, there is a specific term for widower too, in Tamil.....I learnt it when I was doing my O/L exam.....have forgotten now... :(

vedha79
11-17-2003, 05:21 PM
[glow=#BFFF00:2be8d91940]
hi sandhiya why are u interested in learning ceylon(sri-lankan)tamil?

are u in ceylon? if so u can easily grasp it within sometime. if ur not there there isn't much need to learn it.

u can watch movie thenali n nala thamayahti for some words.

if u really want to know/deperate i can help you with some words.
[/glow:2be8d91940]

dinesh
11-17-2003, 06:01 PM
u can watch movie thenali n nala thamayahti for some words.

Both the movies do not reflect how Tamil is spoken in sri Lanka actually. Thenali is the worst culprit, copying 70's SLBC dramas. Nobody speaks in the way how Kamal spoke in Thenali, these days.
Nala Thamayanthi was quite ok, but it is not 100% correct.
People will laugh if anybody speaks in the way how people spoke in those movies.

vennai1
11-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Kamal is a terrific actor.

But I have to agree that he fooled people in tamil nadu into

thinking that eelam tamil is spoken the way he does in tenali. :nono:

I have so many family friends from eelam who absolutely vouch

that kamal's articulation is old style.