PDA

View Full Version : How to make Pittu

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 01:03 AM
theivaiyaana porutkkal

2/3 cub varutha arisi ma (rice flour)
1/3 cub kothuma (maitha ma....steam it about 5-10mins)
salt (a pinch )
grated coconut (thenkaii poo)
boiling water (the hotter the better)

___sei murai_______

1) put rice flour,maitha ma and salt in a bowl

2) mix all and slowly add boiling water. until u make dough

3) then chop into small pieces (bread crumbs)

4) mix grated coconut and steam again for about 5-10
mins

pittu ready to serve

serve with sampal, curries, banana with sugar and
mango with little sugar also try with jack fruit

yasodha
02-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Pura..:) :) :) :) :)

yasodha
02-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Pura how to steam?????ethula vechu steam pannanum...asusual idly cooker pothumaa????:confused:

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 01:11 AM
idly cooker use pannalaam.....

yasodha
02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
unga mom kitta kettu potteengala...:)
Thanks for the recipe...will definitely try...:b:

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:23 AM
VP: Thanks for the recipe. This is too much work.. :) But, I learnt it a different way... and find it easier too.

Yasodha: If you go to a Mallu store (groceries) you get readymade puttu maavu.. All you need to do is add a pinch of salt and very little hot water the dough is ready. Don't add too much water. It should have enough moisture to cook, that's it.

Instead of mixing the coconut to the dough, like VP had said, I was told to put some puttu dough, add a layer of coconut and then more dough on top.. (remember the picture VP had posted yesterday, it will turn out like that)

And, for cooking, have your pressure cooker with some water boiling, close the lid and instead of the weight on top, you put the Puttu Pathram on top. It gets cooked in the water vapor.

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Instead of mixing the coconut to the dough, like VP had said, I was told to put some puttu dough, add a layer of coconut and then more dough on top.. (remember the picture VP had posted yesterday, it will turn out like that)

but for this u need pittu kulal..................we call that pittu "Kulal pittu"

we add sugar with the thengai poo and put it as layer

yasodha
02-24-2007, 02:32 AM
VP: Thanks for the recipe. This is too much work.. :) But, I learnt it a different way... and find it easier too.

Yasodha: If you go to a Mallu store (groceries) you get readymade puttu maavu.. All you need to do is add a pinch of salt and very little hot water the dough is ready. Don't add too much water. It should have enough moisture to cook, that's it.

And, for cooking, have your pressure cooker with some water boiling, close the lid and instead of the weight on top, you put the Puttu Pathram on top. It gets cooked in the water vapor.

Sri

Sri i don't have pittu pathram...what to do???:confused: like Pura says it will come as kula pittu....instead of pittu pathram we can cook right????:rolleyes:

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:33 AM
but for this u need pittu kulal..................we call that pittu "Kulal pittu"

we add sugar with the thengai poo and put it as layer

Ahh.. Well, I made it without the sugar but added the sugar while having it with banana. Yes, one of my Malayale friends got me that vessel.. :)

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:33 AM
steam panna irunthaa normal pittu cook pannalaam:)

Minnie
02-24-2007, 03:00 AM
wow,,ithu thaan recipe huh :D will try it tomorrow hopefully our kitchen has all the ingredients :rolleyes:

thanks pura and sri :D

Bluelotus
01-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Sri i don't have pittu pathram...what to do???:confused: like Pura says it will come as kula pittu....instead of pittu pathram we can cook right????:rolleyes:

I just steam it in a normal steamer, in the end it looks like pink cousous flakes (I use pink rice flour)
Try it with fish curry, or just milk and sugar for breakfast.

What gets me is the amount of water I need to make it :Ksp: it's always too watery

the following webpage gives an idea for a temp pittu kulal
http://www.asiafood.org/recipe_list.cfm?recipeid=487&startno=1&endno=25&keyword_search=&dish=1&region=

Shy
01-17-2008, 02:35 PM
yaso.. pressure cooker neenga use panalaam... just like we paruppu illai.. keep it an pathiram and boil it.

illaina indiala thaane irukeenga.. buy one on the way home ;)

Shy

vasan
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
What gets me is the amount of water I need to make it :Ksp: it's always too watery

You should have a little opening at the top for some steam to escape. Otherwise all water will condense and make the puttu- too watery.

If you notice practically every vessel for steam or slow cooking will have a small hole on the lid. If there is no lid, not enough steam. If there is no opening, too much water.

Cooking is really an engineering science. Control humidity, temperature and time. :wink: :ee:

v-

Bluelotus
01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm a pro I have a pittu kulal ;)
It's the dough I'm taking about, instead of pittu dough I end up with more of idiyappam dough :Ksp:

vasan
01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
It's the dough I'm taking about, instead of pittu dough I end up with more of idiyappam dough :Ksp:

Aahh.. I see.. :wink: :)

So lets run an experiment.

Next time you make puttu, split the batch into two. Keep a record of how much water and flour your add.

In the first batch, add water as you normally do.
In the second batch, use only 1/4 the water of first batch.

Cook both as you normally do. And see if the water is ok. :wink: If one is dry and yucky, and if the other is really like soup, then you know the amount of water is somewhere in between the two. :wink:

Try few more batches.. you will get the right amount.. :b:

~~~~~~

Mathematically speaking, the method is called bisection (for finding the root of an equation). Other methods (like Newton's etc exist, but that is a little more complicated.. )... :wink:

v- :ee: :ee:

Bluelotus
01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
cooking is an art... art should never convert to science ... ;)

(I don't have time to experiment, so every time I feel like pittu ... I end up with idiyappam :( )

vennpuraa
01-18-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm a pro I have a pittu kulal ;)

Bluelotus akka.........pittu kulaikkumpothu muthalai ellaa waterum vidamaa muthal konchama viddudu pirakku kaanaadikki .koncham konchamaa water thelichukondu kuzhaiyungo sariyaa varum.....otherwise idiyappa maa maathivanthidum;)

Minnie
01-18-2008, 01:39 AM
yaso.. pressure cooker neenga use panalaam... just like we paruppu illai.. keep it an pathiram and boil it.

illaina indiala thaane irukeenga.. buy one on the way home ;)

Shy

:think::think::think::confused ::rolleyes:

suha
01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
pittu :confused: i din hear this :rolleyes:

ok anyone cook n gimme :yawn:

minnie best of luck :agree: dont make it like jamoon :sm36:

yasodha
01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Eppovo panna discussion ippo thirumba continue pannureengala...:)

Shy neenga sonna mathiri onnu vangittu vanthidaren...but eppadi panninaalum sari it becomes dry illa....:rolleyes: Blueeeeeee....ungalukku mattum eppadi waterya poguthu....:eek: