PDA

View Full Version : How to make Sampal(sri lankan)(Dry chutney)

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Increadients

coconut 50%
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.c om/images/two_perfect_coconut_halves.jpg
i half is 50%
8-10 dry chilly(seththal mizakay)
1/4 big onion(2-3 small onion)
1 node curry leaves(oru 15 leaves poddaa kaanum)
salt ....just a pinch to taste
puli(tamarind) very little to taste..
oil(thaalikka)

Half a coconut freshly grated
then lightly fry the chilli(don't let it burn)
puliya koncham thannividdu karaichuvaikavum....

use Foodprocessor or grinder to grind the chillies...well
grind it until those seeds crused then add the curry
leaves, onions, salt. mix it again then.....put the grated
coconut.....and add the puli water and grind it until it mix well........

then wash those grinders, dishes.etc……

Eidted
If u r making this for pittu or idiyappam......
u can add garlic and black pepper...........romba tastaa irukkum

PS: if u have ural and ulakakkai u can use that to grind

============================== ==============

Increadients

chili powder(mizhakaaythooL)
Fresh coconut grated
onion(red is better)
1 green chilli
salt ....just a pinch to taste
Lime/lemon

Prep

cut onion and chili small as possible...sinna sinna thuNdaa narukkivaiyunka(2 spoon narukina onions kaanum)
not finish yet

yasodha
02-24-2007, 01:11 AM
So no need to cook???:confused: appadiye saapidanumaa????

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
thaniyaa saapirelai...........ithu like a side dish.chutney maahti........pittu.....idiyap pam..........dhosai........idl y........ellathodaiyum sapaidalaaam

yasodha
02-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks a lot Pura....:)

vasan
02-24-2007, 01:26 AM
bleukutti's pavakkai- sambol recipe is here..

http://www.geetham.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18970

puraa man.. :sm08: danks.. :ee:

v-

Sri
02-24-2007, 01:54 AM
then wash those wash those grinders, dishes.etc……

Enga mela avvalavu nammbikkaya VP???? :) :)

Thanks for the recipe.. It's like thengai thuvayal with onion.. This goes with the Puttu, is it?

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 01:57 AM
kind of.......but it hot.............செத் ல் மிழகாய்போட ்டு இடிக்கிறது

basic chutney maathi irukkum.........but itukku chutney maathi thannividurelai.......

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:02 AM
No, we make two kinds of chutney with coconut. One with green chilli which goes with dosai and idli and upma.. the other kind with red chillies which we mix in rice and have.. Mmm.. semma taste. But, we don't add onion at all.

Won't onion give a raw smell if we don't fry it first? Even for making onion chutney, we fry it until it turns golden and then grind it.

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:09 AM
No, we make two kinds of chutney with coconut. One with green chilli which goes with dosai and idli and upma.. the other kind with red chillies which we mix in rice and have.. Mmm.. semma taste. But, we don't add onion at all.

Won't onion give a raw smell if we don't fry it first? Even for making onion chutney, we fry it until it turns golden and then grind it.

Sri

thats the one i make @ home......for dhosai idly ....

isn't like a powder.....without coconut poo??

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:15 AM
isn't like a powder.....without coconut poo??

No, it isn't. The powder stuff is how Malayalees make it. We add a little water and make it thick.

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:21 AM
appa inthe seymuraiya post pannividunka

ist like paste then??

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Yes it is.. It's exactly how you make sampal, just remove the onion from it and while frying red chillies, add a spoon of urad dhal and asafoetida (perungayam). Grind it all together and you get thengai thuvayal. :)

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:35 AM
oh then different name thaan......mattapadi kiddathadda same thaan

yasodha
02-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Yes it is.. It's exactly how you make sampal, just remove the onion from it and while frying red chillies, add a spoon of urad dhal and asafoetida (perungayam). Grind it all together and you get thengai thuvayal. :)

Sri

so can we do this type too????what about coconut...just to add as it is without frying???

Sri
02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
so can we do this type too????what about coconut...just to add as it is without frying???

Yes, you don't need to fry coconut.. If you fry it, coconut gets that oily smell.. My mom sometimes a pinch of ginger to it too, but I like it without the ginger.

Sri

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
coconut fry panna koodaaa

yasodha
02-24-2007, 02:42 AM
oh really ok then...:)

Minnie
02-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Arent they selling this in Indian grocery :think: :think: :think: have seen in the shops :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 03:12 AM
little creala sollunka

Minnie
02-24-2007, 03:16 AM
little creala sollunka

seen in indian grocery shop'la,,like other masala items i have seen this name also and sure its srilankan product :rolleyes:

emyesbee
02-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Pura nandraga ullathu ungal chutney recipe :b:

seen in indian grocery shop'la,,like other masala items i have seen this name also and sure its srilankan product

Might be Pura doing side-business ;)

vennpuraa
02-24-2007, 03:28 AM
oh ya they have sample in tins nowadays

thanks MSB

yasodha
02-25-2007, 04:31 AM
made this dry coconut chutney alone for dosai..was really good...:b:

ns80
02-25-2007, 05:06 AM
the other kind with red chillies which we mix in rice and have.. Mmm.. semma taste.

What you are talking about is 'thogayal' right ? that is kind of orange to red kind of colour. This is the way they make in Krishna Kafe here, they use the same for idli as well as madhyana sapadu. The one my mom did is of a different colour, donno what extra she adds, will ask her and let know if you guys are interested.

You shud try thogayal with rasam and spicy nendharanga chips as side. Total yum! :sm11: :sm11: :ee:

Sri
02-25-2007, 05:11 AM
What you are talking about is 'thogayal' right ? that is kind of orange to red kind of colour. This is the way they make in Krishna Kafe here, they use the same for idli as well as madhyana sapadu. The one my mom did is of a different colour, donno what extra she adds, will ask her and let know if you guys are interested.

You shud try thogayal with rasam and spicy nendharanga chips as side. Total yum! :sm11: :sm11: :ee:

Yup. The thogayal. Reddish / orange color.. The way you describe the thogayal with rasam and spicy nendhranga chips is making my mouth water and it's already past my bedtime.. torture.. I should stay away from recipe section, I guess.. especially at bedtime.

Have you tried thugayal rice with appalam or vadam and a little curd on the side? Oh man.. maha jollu naan..

Sri

PS: yes, please check with your mom and post the ingredients. thanks..

sWEEtmICHe
02-25-2007, 06:11 AM
vennpuraa ..thanks for this.........looks simple ,thideer chutney ........i:b:

vennpuraa
02-25-2007, 04:54 PM

athu ena colroaa irukkum???

tamil ppl ean different different name vaichaaga endu theriyalai.......indian ppl call differently.sri lankan ppl call differently.....

there is another vaiakai sampal too........for that u don't need grinder

Sri
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
there is another vaiakai sampal too........for that u don't need grinder

We call it vazhakkai podi, VP... But, vazhakkai takes a long time to digest, so lot of people end up having stomach pain by eating it..

Sri

vennpuraa
02-25-2007, 05:11 PM
We call it vazhakkai podi, VP... But, vazhakkai takes a long time to digest, so lot of people end up having stomach pain by eating it..

Sri

வாழக்காய் பொடி??/....

Sri
02-25-2007, 05:16 PM
வாழக்காய் பொடி??/....

Yup! Vahzakkai podi.. not "sampal"

vennpuraa
02-25-2007, 05:18 PM
how do u make it??

naan sonnathu.......thani chili powder use panni seyira sampal.......increadients ellaa, same..........frech coconut.onion...and 1 greenchilli..lemon/lime....salt...ivalavum use panni seyirathu........

ns80
03-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Sri,
I asked my mom, apart from urad dhal, she says she adds channa dal (kadalai paruppuna channa dal dhaane ?). rest is the same as you told.

Sri
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Sri,
I asked my mom, apart from urad dhal, she says she adds channa dal (kadalai paruppuna channa dal dhaane ?). rest is the same as you told.

Thanks NS.. Yes, kadalai paruppu-na channa dal thaan.. I'll give it a try and see how that turns out.. Thank your mom for me, will you please?

Sri

suriyan80
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.wpyr.com/railfancorner/engineplate/Thank-you.jpg
vennpuraa.....:)