PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

emyesbee
03-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Firefox in Fedora core 6 especially is consuming so much memory that I really dislike it now. :doh: It renders Tamil in Geetham very poorly. All the "thunai eluthus" coming before the letter :doh: It was working perfectly with fedora core 4. I checked with firefox 1.5.0.9/10, firefox 2.0.0.2 all does the same :doh:

Then downloaded Opera 9.10 it is somewhat faster than firefox. But still renders the tamil letters as firefox :doh:

Then ran with Konqueror which comes with Fedora Tamil letters comes perfectly. But one serious problem is when I edit a message in geetham it just hangs. :doh: It happened 3/4 times.

My office desktop with firefox 1.5.0.9 works really fine with fedora core 4 and it renders tamil letters in Geetham perfectly.

I would like to know others experience on this.

ns80
03-09-2007, 03:40 AM
I think it is something to do with pango :Ksp: just try ldd /usr/bin/firefox. That will give the library links. sure something is missing. If it is showing something missing, try installing the libraries and build firefox again. Mostly it shud libcairo or libpango that usually cause such a problem.

I dont think there shud be any problem with setting the font directory and permissions for the directories.

emyesbee
03-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually in fedora u don't have to do anything for fonts. Just create a .fonts dir in your home dorectory and put all the .ttf files there. Then restart the browser it should work without any problems. This had been the case in all fedora core versions 1 to 5. This has worked nicely.

I tried ldd as u said says... not a dynamic executable.

Evenif it works firefox is so so so slow. Starts fine but after few min its mem consumption shoots to 80-90% :00: Opera is far better so is the case with Konqueror. Tamil letters are so good in Konqueror :)