PDA

View Full Version : World's best tourists

coolian
05-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Any guesses (http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL2273073120070523)?

It's definitely not Indians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm), I can tell you that! We are one of the worst, and I'm not at all surprised.

Shy
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
:snooty: :snooty:

"The Italians, Spanish and Germans are most likely to try local food, but the Britons, Indians and burger-loving Americans are more likely to shy away from native delicacies."

ithu ellam vachu rate panina worsta thaan irupoom.. Cools neeye sollu.. can we try the snake fry or catepillar kottu if its a native delicacy.. vasan only can.. EWWWWWWWW

Shy

ns80
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2138252.stm

coolian
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Cools neeye sollu.. can we try the snake fry or catepillar kottu if its a native delicacy.. vasan only can.. EWWWWWWWW
I agree. That's my ONLY frustration whenever I travel abroad. But I make sure I try whatever "exotic" vegetarian dish I can - definitely no Indian food for me, unless I'm dying. I remember, getting veg food in Laos and Vietnam was a big pain in the ass.

But that is just one factor in the rankings. My opinion is that the typical Indian will not be as open into trying out new funky stuff as would be the typical American.

EDIT: Oh, and we suck at tipping too.

ns80
05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
we suck at tipping too.

We would be among the worst in that criteria for sure.

Shy
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree. That's my ONLY frustration whenever I travel abroad. But I make sure I try whatever "exotic" vegetarian dish I can - definitely no Indian food for me, unless I'm dying. I remember, getting veg food in Laos and Vietnam was a big pain in the ass.

But that is just one factor in the rankings. My opinion is that the typical Indian will not be as open into trying out new funky stuff as would be the typical American.

EDIT: Oh, and we suck at tipping too.

For once I agree with you :)

Shy

vasan
05-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I am not sure if the survey was really based on Indians living in US..

I wonder how they collected the data. Seems to me that there is way too much 'stereotyping' and bias involved here..

For example: A Japanese dude travelling in US, and eating exotic French Fries (!?!!!) is one thing.. and some poor dude from India looking at 'delicacies' of the east is completely another thing.. You can't make comparisons of that nature..

Claims of .. haa.. I have been to Mexico and tried local tequila is not really touristy, is it?

Anyways.. don't have too much 'rezpekt' for social science expts, especially when the results are presented with out any details about how it was conducted.. And when it is presented in Newspapers (as a great story line), I just take it to be a story.

My 2 cents + 15% tip.. :ahha:

v-

vasan
05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
"exotic" vegetarian dish I can

Oh.. dear.. What that might be? Instead of cucumbers salad you try squash salad.. :D :D You are a brave boy, Cools.. :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~

on a serious note though.. I try food. If there is a choice of vegetarian food, in any new 'ethinic' restaurent, thats what I try first. You can always eat creepy stuff, another day.. you want your memories to be memorable first.. :b: In addition to that, I need a base from which to compare the tastes and ways of cooking across the place. Easier to do it with veggies.. :b:

Vasan's food tasting Principle - 1:

Any cuisine that can cook a vegetable, and have its special flavor, without ruining the actual taste of the vegetable is a great cuisine. Any food that takes out the taste of a vegetable, but throws in all kinds of other flavors (much like lots of north indian dishes cooked here in the restaurents - all tasting of same garam masala) is lousy food.

Flavor of meat already has too many independent variables, and comparing them is way too hard. Easy way out is vegetables.. :b:

v-

coolian
05-24-2007, 05:38 PM
http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=25&story_id=40150

They interviewed European hoteliers, so that's how they collected the data. So it's pretty much a survey on what they think of different tourist groups to Europe - of course, you can't really extrapolate the data for the rest of the world, but at least, you get a general idea.

I've been trying to find a link to the Expedia survey, but came up short.

coolian
05-24-2007, 05:40 PM
:ee:

Very funny, V!

An example of "exotic" vegetarian food would be Ethiopian food. I went in there with massive trepidation, and came out very impressed.

vasan
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
An example of "exotic" vegetarian food would be Ethiopian food. I went in there with massive trepidation, and came out very impressed.

Ethiopian is far too similar to Indian food...

I love it too.. Never once I ate there and regretted anything I ordered.. :b:

v-

Shy
05-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Ethiopian is far too similar to Indian food...

I love it too.. Never once I ate there and regretted anything I ordered.. :b:

v-

Cools.. was about to write that..

Vasan.. romba thaan :sm12:

Ethiopian yes similar to Indian.. but still thats their native food right :b:

Veggie'a iruntha kandeepa try panuven.. Thai pidikkum enakku.. Mongolian/Mediterrean's good too.

Shy