PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know how to make...burfi?

Ncm
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
hi guys...i wonder if anyone knows how to make burfi...particularly kaju or pista burfi?? :confused: ( :lol: no microwave version pls ) i'm just curious...i read one recipe on the web...and it said to soak the kajus in milk?? :confused: but then how do you grind it if it's been soaked? :confused: what's the point :confused: sum1 help pls :confused: with a recipe that they tried and succeeded with :b: getting the right padham for sweets is such a pain :doh: hopefully will get amma to make it for me :)

thankooo :D

alphakrishnan
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Unless you soak in milk or water how you gring into a smooth paste? Milk adds flavour

Krishnan

Ncm
05-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Unless you soak in milk or water how you gring into a smooth paste? Milk adds flavour

Krishnan

yes milk adds flavour..i can see that...i didn't know you make it into a paste :confused: because it said to drain it then grind it...so i didn't see what the point was....

Sruti
05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Ncm,

I have done Kaju/Badham cake..

For Badham ..soak Badham in hot water for a while..so tht it will be easy for u to seperate the skin and then grind it to a paste....depending upon the qty measure sugar....add sugar/water to a pan..once it comes to a boil/sugar melts ...add the badam paste...other spices if u need like yelaikai/saffron....mix well..so tht it combines and cook for a while....once it is ready...just pour it in a greased pan..leave it for a while...u can also add edible silver paper at the top....u can cut it two small squares/triangles and u can serve them...

for cashew u can either soak them in water or in milk..milkadds more flavour as per alpha

Sruti
05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
for pista burfi its the same way as badham...u hve to first soak them in hot water first and rmv the skin...and thn u hve to follow the same procedure....

Ncm
05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
wow thankooo sruti :sm05: thankooo krishnan :sm05:

ok that makes much more sense...the recipe i read had the cashews ground to a powdery texture...naturally, we were confused as to how to make it powdery after soaking it in milk...so we added the milk later...amma got mad at me as it took ages...:doh: it turned out ok...but thankfully as it was a trial, we used a small quantity of everything. how long should we soak the nuts for? also, if i wanted the burfi to have a white/creamy/off-white colour...do i not include saffron because otherwise it will turn red?

Sruti
05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Ncm

u r welcome..

u can get the powdered form of Cashew/Badham from Groc store..it will save u r time of soaking/grinding....

For Bhadam/Pista soak it btwn 15mns - 30 mns...and chk whether u r able to peel of the skin..if not soak it for some more time...

Rgd Cashew...u hve to just soake it so tht whn u grind them it will be easy for u and the paste will come smooth...

Saffron its upto u..if u want u can add them...and if u dnt want the threads..just soak them in little qty of milk and then add the milk along with the sugar syrup...it will not turn red..depng upon the qty of thrds u r soaking the color of te milk will be btwn light yellow to bright yellow color....

Ncm
05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
wow really...i will have to have a look...i never knew the grocery store will have powdered version...wud save a lot of time...will have a look for it...very nice explanation :b: thankooo again :sm05:

Sruti
05-25-2007, 06:47 PM
u r welcome..panittu...apdeye anupi vaingo....:)

rajesh
05-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Ncm,

I have done Kaju/Badham cake..

For Badham ..soak Badham in hot water for a while..so tht it will be easy for u to seperate the skin and then grind it to a paste....depending upon the qty measure sugar....add sugar/water to a pan..once it comes to a boil/sugar melts ...add the badam paste...other spices if u need like yelaikai/saffron....mix well..so tht it combines and cook for a while....once it is ready...just pour it in a greased pan..leave it for a while...u can also add edible silver paper at the top....u can cut it two small squares/triangles and u can serve them...

for cashew u can either soak them in water or in milk..milkadds more flavour as per alpha

Thank you Sruti ... was wondering what to do in the long weekend ... so now I have lot to do ... :)

Sruti
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
hm...nalla pannuge Rajesh...panitu sollunge epdi vanthuthunu...

Sri
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
:mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: :mjpu;r;rp: - my peran making burfi... How did it come out?

I made badam cake with my sister's instructions.. came out awesome.. I added saffron, which my sister says improves the flavor of badam.. It did not change color..

Sri

Sruti
06-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Kalkurunge Sri...ethan vayuthu vali karanama :) solleve elle

Sri
06-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Kalkurunge Sri...ethan vayuthu vali karanama :) solleve elle

I didn't make it now, Sruti... I did it when my best friend's wife got pregnant.. bakshanam panni anuppanum illae.. adhaan... :)

Sri

Sruti
06-04-2007, 02:29 AM
hm...seri.....aduthavati panina engeum anupungo :)

Sri
06-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Of course.. Ungalukkum Jada-mudi-kkum illamayaa? ;)

Sri

Sruti
06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Danke.......